Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2021, 19:25   #30826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
I just need a phone with good camera and large screen and not Samsung.
Any recommendation for a Ex-Samsung Fanboy?
My recommendations assuming your Note series budget :
1. I agree with the Shiftlock

2. Motorola Edge 20 and Edge 20 Fusion launching tomorrow on Flipkart, do check them out. They look promising and might fit your needs well. They already have the Edge 20+ at 64k. Here's a link if interested : Moto Edge 20 : Flipkart

3. Quite difficult in the flagship world if you're staying away from Samsung though. I had owned the S3 and used S4 and S5 for about 3 years, no display issues to report but they were the older and probably the 1/2nd gen AMOLEDs.

4. Pixel XL series is good but won't recommend them in India at least for now. They don't seem very serious about India and I already have a Pixel 2, minor issues happen and lack of a physical service center does make things difficult. Display issues were present in the Pixel 2 XL(made by LG) series too.

Last edited by shancz : 16th August 2021 at 19:29. Reason: added xl info
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 19:46   #30827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
If the budget permits, why not switch over to the other side of the pond
Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
My recommendations assuming your Note series budget :
1. I agree with the Shiftlock
Never thought of buying the "i" . Always felt it was unnecessarily expensive for what it offers. No I'm not starting off a debate here

I guess I have lost trust in expensive phones.
After blowing upwards of 60K almost every 18 months I am back at square one, I feel its time I should buy cheaper phones and throw without regrets if it breaks similarly.

With Pandemic in place and at least 95% of the time confined to home, spending againnn on a flagship phone (~for 18months) does not justify

Hence wondering if there is anything in 30K range which can come close to 2 year old flagships performance atleast.

Any feedback on Nord2 ?

I made a mistake of switching from Samsung to a moto (non samsung) in the past. Was never happy with a non-Samsung phone. Not sure if it will the same this time around.
livyodream is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 19:56   #30828
BHPian

Quote:
Never thought of buying the "i" . Always felt it was unnecessarily expensive for what it offers. No I'm not starting off a debate here

I guess I have lost trust in expensive phones.
After blowing upwards of 60K almost every 18 months I am back at square one, I feel its time I should buy cheaper phones and throw without regrets if it breaks similarly.

With Pandemic in place and at least 95% of the time confined to home, spending againnn on a flagship phone (~for 18months) does not justify

Hence wondering if there is anything in 30K range which can come close to 2 year old flagships performance atleast.

Any feedback on Nord2 ?

I made a mistake of switching from Samsung to a moto (non samsung) in the past. Was never happy with a non-Samsung phone. Not sure if it will the same this time around.

I am using a Nord 2 and I don't really care whether my phone is flagship or not as long as it fulfills my daily needs. Have been using the Nord 2 for almost 2 weeks now and I am satisfied with it. It is a 12GB version that I have got and overall very happy with the performance and overall no regrets. The best part it it charges in flat 20 to 25 minutes. Let me know if you are looking for anything specific.
sunbaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 20:58   #30829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Always felt it was unnecessarily expensive for what it offers.

2. I guess I have lost trust in expensive phones.

3. Hence wondering if there is anything in 30K range which can come close to 2 year old flagships performance atleast.
Any feedback on Nord2 ?

4. I made a mistake of switching from Samsung to a moto (non samsung) in the past. Was never happy with a non-Samsung phone. Not sure if it will the same this time around.
1. True, I feel the same for most flagships too especially the Galaxy and Note The only iPhone I would consider would be the SE 2/X and mainly due to the privacy and of course their size.

2. Ditto after the S3/4/5 which also become noticeably slow after 2-3 years I was in the same boat but have been using a Pixel 2 for the past 4+ years and the phone still performs like new except the battery. So pure OS does matter and that puts Google and Apple in the limelight based on your choice of OS.

3. I think that requirement could be fulfilled by any mid ranger with a SD7XX and similar chipset, Dimensity I have heard good things about. But more importantly its the software experience that also plays a crucial role. So I would suggest a look at the Galaxy M51, starts 20k at Amazon. If you had asked for a smaller sized phone I would've recommended the Pixel 4a/5a(if available) hands down.
No experience with the Nord/X though.

4. You have answered your question yourself
If you weren't happy going away from Samsung then don't. Ignore all others and check out the M51 or anything newer(would've said M42 but it might not suffice your camera, large screen and resolution needs).
I can understand if you are used to the Samsung UI (which I think is quite intuitive and easy to use) you will always find something amiss in others. With Samsung mid rangers now better priced its a good choice IMHO but I should warn you about the super irritating My Galaxy and Galaxy Store notifications(I did the mistake of adding the Samsung account). My Dad tried the same moving from a Samsung to a Redmi, he moved back in 1.5 years, he said it wasn't intuitive and uses the M30s now. What I noticed was that Samsung UI uses tapping for every action while a lot of others use gestures and presses which isn't intuitive or easy to use for a lot of people.
Old 17th August 2021, 02:29   #30830
BHPian

Quote:
...With Pandemic in place and at least 95% of the time confined to home, spending againnn on a flagship phone (~for 18months) does not justify

Any feedback on Nord2 ?
One Plus isn't what it used to be, but that's still the closest you'll get to a Samsung-sort-of experience. The Nord 2 has mixed reviews. Would advise you to wait for maybe a month or two; by then the niggles of the first few batches are usually ironed out.

Since you've been a Samsung flagship master, this recommendation might not sit well with you, but still: Do check out the Samsung Galaxy F62. Even though it's still an Exynos, Samsung has managed to tune it well this time. Also, it's much much better than any of the M-series.

However, no phone can ever emulate a flagship, especially in the current scenario. Hope you're not signing up for massive disappointment.

Have personally never considered the iPhone, especially because I think it's just overpriced and spending a bomb is simply not justifiable for me. Judging by how almost all devices across brands are ageing poorly as a rule rather than an exception, I think the 30-35k range is best to stick to.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 09:22   #30831
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if this has been posted earlier but one more irritating thing that Samsung haa started is installing apps with their OTA updates and there is no getting away from that.
What I am given to understand that this varies with your model. Like the M series users will get irritated the most and I am guessing that flagship users like the S and Note series won't get it.

Although very irritating, it happens, that's why I try to get pure androids if feasible but that's not always the case.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 10:30   #30832
BHPian

Quote:
1. True, I feel the same for most flagships too especially the Galaxy and Note The only iPhone I would consider would be the SE 2/X and mainly due to the privacy and of course their size.

2. Ditto after the S3/4/5 which also become noticeably slow after 2-3 years I was in the same boat but have been using a Pixel 2 for the past 4+ years and the phone still performs like new except the battery. So pure OS does matter and that puts Google and Apple in the limelight based on your choice of OS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
One Plus isn't what it used to be.
Quote:

I spent/wasted a lot of time googling/YouTubing and i guess its hard to settle for anything else/lesser for a Samsung flagship user.

As i do not want to burn cash on a Samsung for the nth time, any review on iPhone 11 128GB?

If i am blowing upto 60K, i very well waste it on an iPhone this time.
livyodream is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 10:42   #30833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I spent/wasted a lot of time googling/YouTubing and i guess its hard to settle for anything else/lesser for a Samsung flagship user.

As i do not want to burn cash on a Samsung for the nth time, any review on iPhone 11 128GB?

What's wrong with the pixel A series? Many of us are using them and they are fantastic value.
Old 17th August 2021, 10:48   #30834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What's wrong with the pixel A series? Many of us are using them and they are fantastic value.

Just one. 14.76 cm (5.81 inch) Full HD+ Display.
Used to 6.3+ displays. Anything less will feel way too small now.
livyodream is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 10:51   #30835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just one. 14.76 cm (5.81 inch) Full HD+ Display.
Used to 6.3+ displays. Anything less will feel way too small now.
Oh. I actually love the small form factor. That was one of my primaries for buying it.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 11:06   #30836
BHPian

OnePlus Nord 2

Glass back is a problem. Have to use a case every time. Oxygen OS is merged with Oppo's Color OS. So UI experience is still a question, especially long term. No phone has a better camera than this in the segment.

Battery backup is sufficient and fast charge helps a ton.

Side Note
OnePlus is no longer the brand it was. You can also consider X7 max which provides similar features at a lower price. It does heat a little more than Nord 2 but offers a great UI experience, possibly the best after Samsung).

Note from Support:

Please type your posts properly (avoid typing in ALL CAPS), use proper punctuation and proof-read before submitting.

We recommend you re-read forum rules before proceeding any further.

Thanks!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th August 2021 at 13:42. Reason: Note included.
Sentinel17 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th August 2021, 12:15   #30837
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Looking at other specs this phone isn't going to less than 40 K for sure. Fusion is more like it if they can price it closer to 20K.
Moto Edge 20 priced at 30k, Fusion at 21.5k.
Old 17th August 2021, 12:55   #30838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. As i do not want to burn cash on a Samsung for the nth time, any review on iPhone 11 128GB?

2. If i am blowing upto 60K, i very well waste it on an iPhone this time.
1. Makes sense.
No experience with the iPhone 11 but get the 128GB one, iCloud space is less and subscription is expensive.
My last experience was with a iPhone 8 Plus (4+ years ago) and can list some points which I believe are generally valid for iPhones in general :
  • Cross Platform Syncing : If you own a Mac you can skip this. But trying to sync an iPhone with Windows PC isn't just a plug and play approach like it is with android and vice versa. IIRC you'll need to install some app(iTunes or something).
    But if you're going to use the phone without much syncing to a desktop then this doesn't matter as well.
  • Software Experience : iOS is good and very optimized, you'll love it. The software experience and updates are seamless, privacy is good, battery backup is consistent and based on your usage.
  • Simple Choices : If you like it then your problem of "which phone" stands sorted for good, just the next iPhone, hopefully 5 years later
  • Economical : if you're changing your android flagships in 2 years then I am guessing your iPhone will last at least 4 years which sort of makes it economical like the thread by GTO (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer))
    I am already reaping the benefits with my Pixel 2 going strong since the last 4+ years.
  • Usability : We have all USB-C phones at home and the whole idea of cross compatibility and ease of use has fallen flat in real life. None of our phones charges from all chargers and issue with lint interfering with charging from the factory chargers is also an issue. Had never faced such in issue with the iPhone's lightning port. Physically that seems like a better design keeping the lint/dust/debris factor in mind but maybe not that significant.

2. Was discussing the same with friends a few months ago and after wasting a lot of time the consensus seemed to be favoring the iPhone but mainly to settle the question about "which phone to buy" for good. But yes they're expensive and the missing chargers and headphone jacks are infuriating but the same applies to certain Samsungs. And no one wanted to spend more than 30-40k on any phone. We basically concluded that either get phones around the 15k mark and change every 2-3 years or get the "pure" phones from Google/Apple and use them for at least 5-6 years.

Hope this helps and let us know your experience, which ever phone you end up buying.

Last edited by shancz : 17th August 2021 at 13:08. Reason: add storage
Old 17th August 2021, 13:09   #30839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Iphone 11 is not even a full hd screen. Not sure if blowing 60k makes sense.

For around 40k the S20 FE makes far more sense for me. Great screen, great battery life and very good cameras (much better than iphone 11). Its better than iphone 11 in every sense.
Old 17th August 2021, 13:26   #30840
BHPian

Quote:
1. Makes sense.
No experience with the iPhone 11 but get the 128GB one, iCloud space is less and subscription is expensive.
My last experience was with a iPhone 8 Plus (4+ years ago) and can list some points which I believe are generally valid for iPhones in general :
  • Cross Platform Syncing : If you own a Mac you can skip this. But trying to sync an iPhone with Windows PC isn't just a plug and play approach like it is with android and vice versa. IIRC you'll need to install some app(iTunes or something).
    But if you're going to use the phone without much syncing to a desktop then this doesn't matter as well.
  • Software Experience : iOS is good and very optimized, you'll love it. The software experience and updates are seamless, privacy is good, battery backup is consistent and based on your usage.
  • Simple Choices : If you like it then your problem of "which phone" stands sorted for good, just the next iPhone, hopefully 5 years later
  • Economical : if you're changing your android flagships in 2 years then I am guessing your iPhone will last at least 4 years which sort of makes it economical like the thread by GTO (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer))
    I am already reaping the benefits with my Pixel 2 going strong since the last 4+ years.

2.We basically concluded that either get phones around the 15k mark and change every 2-3 years or get the "pure" phones from Google/Apple and use them for at least 5-6 years.
I realized that apple doesn't even provide a charger now. I will have to buy cables, chargers etc. for home and car. - Expensive phone and add all these to the list. Samsung watch that I have would be rendered useless too.

Moreover i11 is over 2 year old. Very hard convince to buy 2 year old phone.
i12 is upwards 75k, don't even want to get into that league.

Im still in a fix. All i need is good camera and a big screen. Would spending on iphone even remotely worth it.

Still in a lookout. Samsung M51, Nord2 etc etc. Even if these phones conks like my previous phones, it wouldn't matter.

S20FE does not have positive reviews at all (on youtube) hence ever looked at it.

Last edited by livyodream : 17th August 2021 at 13:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks