Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 01:08   #30961
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Btw, I was checking the Airtel's wi-fi calling FAQ's. One point there seem to indicate that we can do wi-fi calling only on the same operator (Airtel mobile with Airtel broadband). Will check this out with the Vodafone Idea connection I mentioned above. (it's not my ph, so will take a few days).
Not the case at all. I have Airtel Fiber at home and VoWiFi is used for calling on multiple phones via Airtel, Vodafone and Jio as well, without any issues. VoWiFi is operator-agnostic; basically telecom providers using wifi signals to boost network.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 07:24   #30962
BHPian

The usb-c connector of my pixel 3a has worn out to a point that I have to spend at least half a minute to adjust the charging cable to get the phone to start charging. I see that this is a common issue with this phone. I contacted Google support about a possible repair and I will need to ship the phone to Mumbai and will get it back in approx a week. That’s obviously not ideal. Has anyone used local mobile repair shops to get the usb-c connector replaced?
Old 13th September 2021, 07:46   #30963
Oxy
BHPian

Looking for a good back cover recommendation for a white coloured Samsung A52. Thanks in advance for the inputs.
Old 13th September 2021, 08:09   #30964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The iPhone is so dominating that Android makers have pretty much ditched flagship high end phones.
I won't really say that Android phone manufacturers are ditching the high end space. Its just that once you head into high end territory, it makes less sense to buy Android as they tend to creep up real close to an Apple product. At the high end of the price spectrum, I'd rather go Apple and experience a rock steady iOS eco system.

Some examples of top tier Android devices are the Xiaomi Mi 11, the Xperia 1 III, the Oppo X3 Pro, the Asus ROG 5 and not to forget the One Plus 9 series. All brilliant in their own way.

I am curious if Google have got their act together with the new Pixel 6 series. Only time will tell. The phone is a departure from the usual Qualcomm clan in terms of the processor.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 09:06   #30965
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I won't really say that Android phone manufacturers are ditching the high end space. Its just that once you head into high end territory, it makes less sense to buy Android as they tend to creep up real close to an Apple product. At the high end of the price spectrum, I'd rather go Apple and experience a rock steady iOS eco system.

Some examples of top tier Android devices are the Xiaomi Mi 11, the Xperia 1 III, the Oppo X3 Pro, the Asus ROG 5 and not to forget the One Plus 9 series. All brilliant in their own way.

I am curious if Google have got their act together with the new Pixel 6 series. Only time will tell. The phone is a departure from the usual Qualcomm clan in terms of the processor.
Agreed to an extent but I was mainly referring to options in India.

We will most likely not get the Pixel 6 in India. Sony has not announced the Xperia 1 III for India and Samsung continues to sell Exynos versions of the S series here.

This leaves us with Xiaomi, Oppo as the main options which are great but for anyone used to a Samsung or a Pixel will never consider easily due to branding.

The Oneplus 9 Pro series are great on paper, but the software experience still lacks the finesse of the Pixel and the cameras are all show but no go.

This tells me that Apple is focusing on ensuring that the price you pay makes the iPhone experience worth it but others are just throwing specs and features while overlooking the flagship experience.

I am using Pixel 2 XL and I can tell you that a 25K OnePlus Nord CE doesn't feel as good being 4 years newer model. The proximity sensor is flaky and keeps turning on the screen with accidental presses from face. The fingerprint unlock sometimes gets disabled for no odd reason, the UI is smooth but occasionally will stutter. Cameras at that price are a joke.

I got it as a stop gap till Google sent me a new pixel battery. Now I am thinking of what to upgrade in next few months and there is not a single Android option I can consider coming from a 4 year old Pixel 2.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 09:16   #30966
Distinguished - BHPian

Between a nord ce and nord 2,which would be a better buy? I'm not a very intensive user, and I usually change phones every 2 years, so don't have the criteria for the service being future proud either.
What actually is the difference between those two phones?
Old 13th September 2021, 10:07   #30967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Between a nord ce and nord 2,which would be a better buy?
Think of the Nord CE as the facelift of the Nord, while the Nord 2 is the new generation model.
The Nord 2 comes with a Mediatek Dimensity 1200 processor, while the CE comes with the Snapdragon 750G.
Nord 2 has a 50 MP main camera, while the CE has a 64 MP.
Nord 2 comes with Gorilla Glass 5 on the front and back, while the CE has a plastic body.
Nord 2 doesn't come with a 3.5 mm jack, while the CE does.
All reviews show that the Nord 2 is a better performer than the CE (going by the scores in various benchmarking tests)
Overall, I think the Nord 2 is the better choice, even at a premium of 5k over the CE.
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 10:10   #30968
BHPian

Quote:
Between a nord ce and nord 2,which would be a better buy? I'm not a very intensive user, and I usually change phones every 2 years, so don't have the criteria for the service being future proud either.
I'd suggest you skip both.

Nord CE has serious camera quality issues if reviews are to be believed.

It gets worse with Nord 2. A friend of mine got Nord 2 and it started showing green lines on the screen. The technician who came to take a look said that a lot of them are having this issue. He is getting a replacement with a promise for a refund if the new unit also has the same issue. And then the blast issues. I fear that OnePlus has a Note 7 in their hands.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 10:31   #30969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just get the pixel A series man. I am done with all these other android brands. Pixel A series absolutely kills everything!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 10:51   #30970
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Just get the pixel A series man. I am done with all these other android brands. Pixel A series absolutely kills everything!
Really? I mean, the extra MP Camera, 6 Extra GBs are negated by the Google bespoken-ness?
I was actually trying to justify the extra 5 k for the nord 2, but you've put a spanner in the works worth another 5K....

Last edited by mayankk : 13th September 2021 at 10:58.
Old 13th September 2021, 10:52   #30971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Now I am thinking of what to upgrade in next few months and there is not a single Android option I can consider coming from a 4 year old Pixel 2.
Consider Xiaomi's flagship 11 series. It is an outstanding product. This isn't the usual cut price Xiaomi. They have put everything into it. You just need to hold the phone to get an idea of how well it is made. Feels good to hold too.

I use their previous flagship device the Mi 9. I've had it for 2 years and that is sort of long enough to judge if the phone is holding up. Absolutely flawless operation. There is no sign of slowing down.

I've been reluctant to touch Xiaomi as a brand but can tell you with confidence that their flagship devices are a step above what they are more known for doing, that is budget phones. Can't say if this applies for other products they sell. I would not hesitate to buy another flagship device from them.

Sounds like One Plus have lost focus. It was the only other brand I was considering when I was shopping for a new phone.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 13th September 2021 at 10:53.
Old 13th September 2021, 11:03   #30972
BHPian

Quote:
Consider Xiaomi's flagship 11 series. It is an outstanding product. This isn't the usual cut price Xiaomi. They have put everything into it...
Xiaomi and others tend to cut corners. The usb-c port is still USB 2.0. Samsung is at 3.2. Might not make a difference to some people, but it is one spec that was not fully implemented.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 11:07   #30973
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Consider Xiaomi's flagship 11 series. It is an outstanding product. This isn't the usual cut price Xiaomi. They have put everything into it. You just need to hold the phone to get an idea of how well it is made. Feels good to hold too.

I use their previous flagship device the Mi 9. I've had it for 2 years and that is sort of long enough to judge if the phone is holding up. Absolutely flawless operation. There is no sign of slowing down.
My reason for not recommending Mi is not the hardware or the build. It is the software/UI that is so heavily customised with own versions of all apps.

Once you get used to the Google version of the apps, it is impossible to use other apps from Mi or whoever.

For example the messaging app, the dialer, google photos. The fact that you need Mi account on the Mi phones and have Mi apps loaded is what bothers me.

If you buy an MI phone then use the original google keyboard, google photos etc then you are spending money to use a workaround.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 11:39   #30974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Really? I mean, the extra MP Camera, 6 Extra GBs are negated by the Google bespoken-ness?
I was actually trying to justify the extra 5 k for the nord 2, but you've put a spanner in the works worth another 5K....
None of that matters in the real world.

Its all about the software. I dare say the pixel a series even beat the latest iphones on photos
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 11:45   #30975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Looking for a good back cover recommendation for a white coloured Samsung A52. Thanks in advance for the inputs.
Check out covers from TheGiftKart on Amazon. Have been using them for various phones for a while now. Price range is also in the 200-400 bracket depending on the phone model.

In case you want a premium cover, then the Spigen covers are the best; upward of 1k though.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks