Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2022, 16:25   #31351
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys, how do I stop seeing these Ketto ads that Google keeps continously pushing to my devices throughout the day. It's always gory pics of people suffering from various physical disabilities and quite disturbing. I tried several options, but still couldn't stop this nuisance from Google. Any help?

I'm starting to hate Google on how viciously they push ads in most of their ecosystems. It's time this world gets rid off these moronic tech companies monopolies.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 17:55   #31352
BHPian

For anyone wanting to block ads in Android, try installing blokada app. It's a good app to block ads.

https://blokada.org/
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 18:06   #31353
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys, how do I stop seeing these Ketto ads that Google keeps continously pushing to my devices throughout the day.
There are many ways including using ad blockers, incognito mode , another browser etc. But the easiest for blocking specific ads only is clicking the icons at the top right of ads as highlighted in the image below and then choosing the "Stop seeing the ad" option.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20220320175814_1.jpg
One is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 21:38   #31354
BHPian

I just placed an order for a MI 11x for my kid who is now playing his games in a MI 11 Lite. Went for the 11x as that is the cheapest SD870 phone available in the market. I had my eye on the iQOO 9 SE, but since it has the infamous SD888, I chickened out.

Now, it goes without saying that am not a fan of MIUI, and I had heard that the 11X has an extensive custom ROM support. Since this would purely be used for playing games, other use cases (telephony, camera, security, privacy et al) does not matter. Has anybody tried custom roms in their 11X? Would like the know your recommendations.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 11:27   #31355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Does anyone have any idea on the Nokia XR20.

Especially the camera.

The phone seems to be an extreme device with regard to its strength and durability.
Apart from this CPU:Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 480 5G Mobile Platform, rest things appear okay. That CPU best suits a ~10K smartphone, let alone something which costs ~50K. You-Tube videos shall give a fair idea of the camera.

If the screen breaks / can break on impact, will suggest get the iPhone 12 / S22 for that price and slap on a Ringke military grade cover. If the screen is shatter proof and you fear you drop your phone often (Motorcycle mounted maps?) then get this.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 12:08   #31356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

If the screen breaks / can break on impact, will suggest get the iPhone 12 / S22 for that price and slap on a Ringke military grade cover. If the screen is shatter proof and you fear you drop your phone often (Motorcycle mounted maps?) then get this.
Thanks Sheel.I dropped the idea of getting this Nokia phone.

As strong as it is, the camera is way higher in priority list.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 13:03   #31357
BHPian

Quote:
Smartphone photography is all about camera software and post processing. Get Pixel. The Google Camera app does wonders when coupled with any decent camera hardware but officially available only on Pixels. You have to find some modded APK for other smartphones and the app may not perform reliably in most cases.
tbppjpr is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 13:47   #31358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agree with the comment above. Get the Pixel 6 if you have someone flying down from the US. At USD 600, it is indeed great value. Alternate option could be the Samsung S21 FE.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 14:17   #31359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Agree with the comment above. Get the Pixel 6 if you have someone flying down from the US. At USD 600, it is indeed great value. Alternate option could be the Samsung S21 FE.
Thanks a lot. The Samsung S21 FE is really very good but I instead picked up the S22 Ultra.
bblost is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 14:29   #31360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot. The Samsung S21 FE is really very good but I instead picked up the S22 Ultra.
Awesome, and congratulations! That's even better – a true flagship from Samsung.
I looked at it as option to replace my iPhone 12 mini, but eventually dropped the idea because of my affinity for slightly smaller phones
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 14:44   #31361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Awesome, and congratulations! That's even better – a true flagship from Samsung.
I looked at it as option to replace my iPhone 12 mini, but eventually dropped the idea because of my affinity for slightly smaller phones
I DID NOT want to buy this phone.

But a very smart sales executive at Reliance Digital kept a brand new demo piece right next to me and said please check it while we get you a S22 for comparison.

In two minutes I was blown away by the camera and the awesome SPen feature.

I later told the sales guy's manager to always keep him happy because that young man is a rockstar.
bblost is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 15:30   #31362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That’s one feature (S-Pen) my wife says she misses a lot, after she moved from Note 20 Ultra to iPhone. Especially using the pen as a timer-remote for clicking photos
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:27   #31363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I DID NOT want to buy this phone.

But a very smart sales executive at Reliance Digital kept a brand new demo piece right next to me and said please check it while we get you a S22 for comparison.

I later told the sales guy's manager to always keep him happy because that young man is a rockstar.
Same, I had no plans to upgrade till the time I casually went to Samsung store during one of these evening strolls few days back. A quick 10 mins discussion on the current offers took me the point of picking this up - and I am glad I did. I have been a huge fan of Note Series from Samsung because of enhanced productivity on the go that suits me a lot. I do use SPen a lot, and not to mention cameras have been awesome on Note series all this while. And apart from the name, this is a true spiritual successor to the Note 20 Ultra that I had previously. We exchanged my wife's 3 years old S10 Plus in the offer and my Note has now gone to wife. I think we are sorted for another 3 years minimum because these flagships have ample life in them, more so with guaranteed 4 years of promised updates to S22 and 3 years of updates to Note 20.

My 4.5 years old Note 9 is currently with my mum and I am still able to run COD at max framerate comfortably on it - isn't that insane!
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20220317_22504201.jpeg  

Ace F355 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 15:54   #31364
Team-BHP Support

Recent Google service experience (via B2X).

One fine morning last week, I noticed a crack on the top right edge of the back panel of my 5 month old Pixel 4a (pic below). There was no impact to the device for the entire time I've had it, and the crack wasn't there the previous night when I left the phone on my work desk before going to bed.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20220313_131801.jpg

Pinged Google support, and they asked for pictures. On review, they declare it physical damage, and I'm told not only will I have to pay for repairs, my warranty will be voided too. Absurd.

I insist I did NOT cause the damage, and it appears to be a part defect. Google Search to the rescue (touché), with multiple reports of the issue online, including a thread on their own support forum. It all points to the panel lacking reinforcement at that edge to support the camera module cutout nearby.

A repair request is raised, and I get a notification to pay inspection charges before pickup (they've marked the ticket 'damage repair' despite all the back & forth!).

I refuse to pay, insisting this should be reviewed under warranty and I'll pay only if they can provide evidence it's external damage. They reluctantly agree, and the device is picked up the same day.

Things move quickly from here, and I get a call the next workday from B2X, asking what the problem is. I say device is perfectly fine, except the back panel flaw. I tell the chap on the phone how the crack appeared, and how it seems to be an issue with several global specimens. He agrees it will be fixed under warranty. The device is fixed and shipped back to me, arriving in a rather neat Google branded box (included a cleaning rag and SIM ejector pin). Total turnaround 6 days, including a public holiday, a Sunday they don't work and a day's delay at Blue Dart's Bombay hub, so this could've actually gone even faster.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20220323_150358.jpg

Overall, rather prompt logistics and decent service from B2X proper, but Google support needed a polite but firm word to not take me for a fool and void my warranty on top of refusing to acknowledge a product issue.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th March 2022 at 12:25. Reason: Typo
Chetan_Rao is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 16:08   #31365
BHPian

People post online that some features of Pixel 6 like 5G, voLTE, wifi calling don't work in many countries where it's not sold officially. Anyone using Pixel 6 here can confirm if this is an issue in India as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks