Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 09:49   #3136
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thanks for the warning phamilyman. What is SGS roms? You are saying that I'll run into trouble if I install CM7 in my desire with slcd screen?
I guess that would be FW Android - www.SamFirmware.com
Old 15th May 2011, 10:59   #3137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
SO far I have

1) Rooted the Optimus
2) Installed Android SDK

Today I might got for Custom Recovery.

Just a couple of noob questions

1) IF the phone boots into Custom Recovery - can I shut it down and re-start it normally ?

2) Which ROM is the best for the Optimus ? I need better battery life, a bit more stabler and faster phone, also all functions should work....ie BT, GPS,GPRS all should work flawlessly
1) The phone should boot into custom recovery only if you want it to right? Thats light going into BIOS on your PC. You got to hit the right buttons at the right time. If you do get into open recovery, you can just choose the reboot option inside the recovery menu itself. It'll restart normally.

2) Now according to me, custom ROM's are never bug free. It's sort of like OC'ing your PC, or doing up your car engine. All that R&D that's gone into making your phone/pc/car what it is, is to make it super stable and perform well. What you're doing now is tweaking. And it always has its downs. Take a look at all the ROM's available for the Optimus (2X?) You should find a lot of help here: GT540 Optimus Android Development - xda-developers

Extra: My opinion looks a little like this. If you want to stay stable, have all your functions working etc. Don't go into Custom ROM'ing. Apart from feeling really cool, and have a really freaky new device, you'll introduce a host of little problems and bugs. Even the most stable of custom ROM's have a couple of bugs. From the stuff you said, i.e. GPRS, GPS working flawlessly, don't custom ROM. First things first, take a look at the link I posted above, read about each of the ROM's, see the bugs, see the fixes, see if you want to do it.

Good luck, I'm here to help.
Old 15th May 2011, 11:35   #3138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Don't be, I am having some strange charging problem myself in my stock Defy.
======
Has anyone seen this kind of problem?
Have you tried re-installing the stock firmware?
Old 15th May 2011, 12:11   #3139
Senior - BHPian

SamFirmware

I was browsing the website of SamFirmware and came across these two options:

1. Asia version - S5830 DDKC1 which is Android 2.2.1 (Froyo) dated March 11, 2011

(How different would this be from the factory 2.2.1 DDKA7 version anyway?)

2. Europe version - S5830 XXKPE which is Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) dated May 5, 2011

Now of course the 2nd option looks tempting.

But can I do it? IS this a custom ROM with any known issues?
Old 15th May 2011, 12:39   #3140
Team-BHP Support

Any idea when Samsung Galaxy S2 is going to be launched in India? And what is the expected price?

Heard rumours that it will feature 1 GHz dual core processor instead of the 1.2 GHz in some markets.
Old 15th May 2011, 14:05   #3141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I was browsing the website of SamFirmware and came across these two options:

1. Asia version - S5830 DDKC1 which is Android 2.2.1 (Froyo) dated March 11, 2011

(How different would this be from the factory 2.2.1 DDKA7 version anyway?)

2. Europe version - S5830 XXKPE which is Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) dated May 5, 2011

Now of course the 2nd option looks tempting.

But can I do it? IS this a custom ROM with any known issues?
There are ways/means to extract the official ROMs - that is all that samfirmware.com seems to be doing. I cant be bothered to register so didnt look up your page.

In my case, if you see Motorola Defy Ownership | FreeRiding it talks of a Froyo leak - the XXKPE would be a GB leak

Basically those guys have extracted a GB ROM as packaged in the model sold in Europe (or as updated in Europe). It should be installable in most cases - BUT READ THE APPROPRIATE PAGES on xda-developers before you take the leap.

Even if it installs, it may not recognize your service provider - in my case, the UK version recognized Vodafone but not Airtel. Fret not, just google around for the appropriate "baseband settings". Often an easily installable xml which works across mfrs/models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
1) The phone should boot into custom recovery only if you want it to right? Thats light going into BIOS on your PC. You got to hit the right buttons at the right time. If you do get into open recovery, you can just choose the reboot option inside the recovery menu itself. It'll restart normally.
Check xda-developers for the method & the Custom Recovery for your phone. My defy needs powerup then vol down button when the Moto logo comes up. You use volume keys to navigate + power button to select. Restart as many times in it as you wish - no harm.

My defy went on the blink on Friday because I restored a custom recovery (from backup) that was incompatible with CM7. Find the FAQ/instructions & then follow them.

Quote:
2) Now according to me, custom ROM's are never bug free. It's sort of like OC'ing your PC, or doing up your car engine. All that R&D that's gone into making your phone/pc/car what it is, is to make it super stable and perform well. What you're doing now is tweaking. And it always has its downs. Take a look at all the ROM's available for the Optimus (2X?) You should find a lot of help here: GT540 Optimus Android Development - xda-developers

Extra: My opinion looks a little like this. If you want to stay stable, have all your functions working etc. Don't go into Custom ROM'ing. Apart from feeling really cool, and have a really freaky new device, you'll introduce a host of little problems and bugs. Even the most stable of custom ROM's have a couple of bugs. From the stuff you said, i.e. GPRS, GPS working flawlessly, don't custom ROM. First things first, take a look at the link I posted above, read about each of the ROM's, see the bugs, see the fixes, see if you want to do it.

Good luck, I'm here to help.
I would seriously beg to disagree. Check out the exact feedback on the ROM's relevant xda-developers thread. My CM7 install (made by a hacker in Russia) has seen >10k unique installs in one month. Not a joke - its the 7th most popular one despite being unofficial. Very stable. I have no intentions of going back to OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thanks for the warning phamilyman. What is SGS roms? You are saying that I'll run into trouble if I install CM7 in my desire with slcd screen?
ROMs are not windows DVD that you can borrow mine and it'll work! You need to install the appropriate ROM for YOUR device. You may not brick it but will definitely need to reinstall the OEM ROM if something fails. I meant that i've read (a month back) Samsung Galaxy SL guys requesting for a ROM for their device, not the one for Samsung Galaxy S.

In other words - abhinav & ByDesign - be careful. I overclocked my Defy to 1.1 Ghz and almost fried it. I was on a cycle ride today, spending 3+ hours in 40 deg heat nonstop. I'd stupidly put the phone on performance overclocking mode (only 1.1ghz). Then I came & took a couple of phone calls despite it being boiling hot & it shut down. A quick visit to the fridge & then AC love got the phone ON after 5 mins (not initially, not even the bootloader). This OC business is dangerous - custom ROMs are far simpler in comparison.
Old 15th May 2011, 14:17   #3142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
I would seriously beg to disagree. Check out the exact feedback on the ROM's relevant xda-developers thread. My CM7 install (made by a hacker in Russia) has seen >10k unique installs in one month. Not a joke - its the 7th most popular one despite being unofficial. Very stable. I have no intentions of going back to OEM.

In other words - abhinav & ByDesign - be careful. I overclocked my Defy to 1.1 Ghz and almost fried it. I was on a cycle ride today, spending 3+ hours in 40 deg heat nonstop. I'd stupidly put the phone on performance overclocking mode (only 1.1ghz). Then I came & took a couple of phone calls despite it being boiling hot & it shut down. A quick visit to the fridge & then AC love got the phone ON after 5 mins (not initially, not even the bootloader). This OC business is dangerous - custom ROMs are far simpler in comparison.
I stand corrected my good man. Check each ROM properly for good and bad.

Apart from my pathetic battery life, my CM7 install seems pretty sweet.

Phamilyman, what's the heads up on getting a larger mAh battery?
Old 15th May 2011, 14:59   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Larger mah battery? I don't know honestly. In some cases, like Samsung - the GSL has a higher capacity battery than the GS.

Either ways, you need to understand what's draining your battery & then shut it down. That means, no weather updates for me, or only select twitter clients.

What you can do for a better battery performance may be under clocking the phone so that when the screen is off/locked it runs slower/cooler. People report good things on the Defy CM7 thread. Sometimes, some particular beta (with some less fixes) may work better. Some junta like the beta5 of Defy CM7 over the beta5.1 and even 6.

Boss, Its complicated.
Old 15th May 2011, 15:08   #3144
Senior - BHPian

I rooted my desire and am running MIUI currently.

Name:  ForumRunner_20110515_173613.png
Views: 544
Size:  73.5 KB

Last edited by pulsar56 : 15th May 2011 at 15:09.
Old 15th May 2011, 16:14   #3145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi

I guess that would be FW Android - www.SamFirmware.com
I just got confirmation from someone in CM forum that desire slcd version can run CM 7 without issues since he is running it in his desire slcd!

I thought that cm mod will be kind on battery than my htc stock rom but the feedback here seems to suggest the opposite. :(
Old 16th May 2011, 00:50   #3146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Try Juice Defender. There are both free and paid versions. The former should do for most of us. It disbles 3G/WiFi,etc. and restarts them periodically so that synch is maintained. Very useful in extending battery life.
I've been running Juice Defender on my Ace since last 5 days. There is a noticeable improvement in the battery life. Ceterus Paribus, I'm able to extract at least 10-15 more hours. This is just by using the default (balanced) profile in the app. Testing is still on.
Old 16th May 2011, 09:45   #3147
Senior - BHPian

First day, while installing about 6-7 odd apps, the Defy's battery died (100%->5%) within about 7 hours because i switched everything ON. Weather, Talk, twitter etc you name it + gaming.

Yesterday, CM7 only had 72% battery drain over 24 hours despite enough tweeting/lots of emails/forum browsing/angry birds. Any recommendatoins for a non-auto-updating weather app? I hate the accuweather one - bloody battery hog.

Its simple - you cannot run all the features & expect brilliant battery performance. Just cannot add up.
Old 16th May 2011, 09:59   #3148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
First day, while installing about 6-7 odd apps, the Defy's battery died (100%->5%) within about 7 hours because i switched everything ON. Weather, Talk, twitter etc you name it + gaming.

Yesterday, CM7 only had 72% battery drain over 24 hours despite enough tweeting/lots of emails/forum browsing/angry birds. Any recommendatoins for a non-auto-updating weather app? I hate the accuweather one - bloody battery hog.

Its simple - you cannot run all the features & expect brilliant battery performance. Just cannot add up.
Try 'The Weather Channel' afaik, it's not auto updating. Also, install Juice Defender and uninstall Advanced Task Killer (if you have).

JD improved my battery life drastically. I can now run without charge for about 1.5 days - usage being mostly calls, background data on 24x7, polling of emails every 1 hour, 1-2 hours of Wifi browsing etc.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:06   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Is there any app where i can access files on my computer and possibly copy it to galaxy S.

Like i have a mp3 file which i downloaded on my computer, if i want it wireless, what are my options apart from Bluetooth transfer?
Old 16th May 2011, 10:16   #3150
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I am using Advanced Task Killer for quite some time and it's working fine for me. That thread was started way back in 2009, things have changed a lot since then.
+1. I have been using the task killer a lot and it certainly improves battery. Also i have noticed, if i uninstall it, the RAM through task manager goes above 210mb/304 mb available. With the task killer, its stays around 125mb.

I would say, it helps a lot in clearing up apps running in background.

Most Viewed