Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:32   #31636
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I think this is a bug in recent versions of AA. It happens to me too, with my Asus Rog5 phone. What I do is to pull out the cable and push it back in; then everything goes back to normal till the next time.

We'll have to wait till Google fixes it I suppose.
On a related unrelated note, how is the Asus rog 5?
I am looking to replace my Motorola edge fusion, and dont want to go mainstream with a oneplus/samsung etc. I liked the Mi 11 ultra, but just saw the Rog phones after your post. My Asus laptop has been impeccable in almost 7 years of usage, so I hope the phones are as good.
I am essentially looking for a camera which can take halfway to excellent photos, doesn't have random restarts, and is tough built.
Any honest opinion on this please?
Old 23rd June 2022, 12:31   #31637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
how is the Asus rog 5?

I am essentially looking for a camera...

Any honest opinion on this please?
Can't help you there; I don't use the camera at all (except perhaps to do UPI QR scans / Microsoft Lens document scans).

But I have 3 numbers and they are in two Rog phones (one II and one 5). I am so enamoured with this series - they are incredibly powerful productivity devices.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 12:34   #31638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
On a related unrelated note, how is the Asus rog 5?
I am looking to replace my Motorola edge fusion, and dont want to go mainstream with a oneplus/samsung etc. I liked the Mi 11 ultra, but just saw the Rog phones after your post. My Asus laptop has been impeccable in almost 7 years of usage, so I hope the phones are as good.
Although I do not not own the ROG phone, I own the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1. The phone is 4+ years old and works flawlessly in all aspects. The battery back is still 1 full day with heavy usage. The phone has also had its share of drops and has been resilient. I am a fan of Asus phones after this experience. I intend to keep this phone as long as the phone works. I plan to DIY a battery replacement soon to breathe in a fresh lease of life
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:09   #31639
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

Options considered: Only Galaxy S20 FE 5G as of now. Appreciate some suggestions?
In similar boat, have to give this to someone. Past Samsung is ~5 years old & barely works now. Heavily used & was working fine for 4+ years.

Under 50K. One Plus phones or best bet with S20FE 5G. SD-865 runs cool, no battery drain issues or heating, phone won't see Wi-Fi connectivity, so not factoring SD-888 or newest SD chipsets.

Any other phone?
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:18   #31640
Distinguished - BHPian

I sense a discussion on good phones under 50K. And since the Samsung S20 FE 5G is under discussion, for a few thousands more, at around 40K, you'll get the Samsung A73 5G. It comes with a Snapdragon 778G, which is a wee lesser than the Snapdragon 888 in processing power...but it's still more future forward than the S20 FE 5G and will enjoy longer software upgrades than the S20 will.

I purchased the A73 5G last week, to replace my 4 year old LG G7 ThinQ. I am happy with it and am convinced it will similarly serve me for 4 years - no sweat.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:00   #31641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
In similar boat, have to give this to someone. Past Samsung is ~5 years old & barely works now. Heavily used & was working fine for 4+ years.

Under 50K. One Plus phones or best bet with S20FE 5G. SD-865 runs cool, no battery drain issues or heating, phone won't see Wi-Fi connectivity, so not factoring SD-888 or newest SD chipsets.

Any other phone?
Pixel 6a. Google optimisation is mind blowing. Plus free lifetime photo back up. Awesome on time updates.

Is launching soon. I am waiting to upgrade from my pixel 3a, bought when launched. If google stops the pixel series, I will move to the iPhone ecosystem. Pixel is the only non Apple product I am using.

Last edited by Red Liner : 23rd June 2022 at 14:02.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:31   #31642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
He can look at Galaxy A series or Oneplus 9 series. The latter charges in less than 30 minutes. And 256 GB memory and higher RAM variants are well within the budget.
Thanks 9RT is in consideration now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
If i were him, i would have waited for the release of Google pixel 6a and bought it.
Well, its an immediate replacement need. No time to wait.

Quote:

Any other phone?
He is juggling between S20FE 5G and OP 9RT now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I purchased the A73 5G last week, to replace my 4 year old LG G7 ThinQ. I am happy with it and am convinced it will similarly serve me for 4 years - no sweat.
Thanks. Considering OP 9RT has the SD 888, he is gravitating towards that if not S20FE-5G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Pixel 6a. Google optimisation is mind blowing. Plus free lifetime photo back up. Awesome on time updates.
Is it even releasing? After Pixel 4a (which I loved and almost bought), didnt see Google launching anything else.

Edit 1: Since the need was absolutely urgent he picked up the S20FE 5G today. Thanks everyone.

Edit 2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Guaranteed and confirmed for India via flipkart at approx 40k. Probably in a month or two, or maybe October to sync with Diwali.
Source? Was trying to google didnt find anything on these lines?

Last edited by SoumenD : 23rd June 2022 at 15:00.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:48   #31643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Is it even releasing? After Pixel 4a (which I loved and almost bought), didnt see Google launching anything else.

Edit : Since the need was absolutely urgent he picked up the S20FE 5G today. Thanks everyone.
Guaranteed and confirmed for India via flipkart at approx 40k. Probably in a month or two, or maybe October to sync with Diwali.
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:21   #31644
Team-BHP Support

Pretty hard to wait that long for someone with a dying phone, will get the S20FE 5G (maybe) tomorrow (depending on availability).
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:17   #31645
BHPian

Quote:
Pretty hard to wait that long for someone with a dying phone, will get the S20FE 5G (maybe) tomorrow (depending on availability).
Its available at some mouthwatering price. Esp at Corporate Website + some Card discounts.
So far happy with S20 FE in terms of performance, camera, battery life. Android 12 update created a issue with battery life. But I did a factory reset and since then it's back to full day (24 hrs ) standby time with moderate usage.
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:47   #31646
BHPian

Quote:
Looking for phone suggestions for a friend. This will be an office phone with a budget limit of 40k INR. He is into field work, so like always on the road/rail/air(20 days a month approx).

Requirements :

Good quality Videos/Pictures(mandatory for business requirement)
Zoom meetings
Sales force application support
Good battery backup

Options considered: Only Galaxy S20 FE 5G as of now. Appreciate some suggestions?

Thanks in advance

P.S: For personal use he has iphone, so for office use prefers android.
You can also consider the OnePlus 9RT and any other Motorola phone in that price range. Both will be a good option. S20fe is quite old now, almost 2 years if i remember correctly.
Old 23rd June 2022, 18:53   #31647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Past Samsung is ~5 years old & barely works now. Heavily used & was working fine for 4+ years.
This seems to be Samsung 'feature'. 4 years it works fine. 5th year the phone is unusably bad. We've had this experience over S2, S3, Note 3 and S7.

So far my secondary Oneplus 5 seems to be holding fine on the 5th year on mild usage.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 19:21   #31648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This seems to be Samsung 'feature'.
I'll disagree with that. Was using a Samsung Galaxy S8 for the past 5 years and it never gave up. Got it when it launched in 2017 and I finally upgraded this month.

I have been using that phone like anything with PUBG/BGMI upto 6 hours a day (first and second lockdown and 1 hour these days) to WiFi/Bluetooth/mobile data/sync on 24 hours a day. Had to charge my phone twice a day from 4th year but that's acceptable for a 5 year old phone, given my usage.

One thing I'll add is that I don't have any social media apps and I don't watch any videos on phone. Just chrome and some other apps such as Whatsapp. It is still in perfect condition and I'm sure that it'll be back to how it was bought, if i replace the battery.

I upgraded to a Galaxy S22+ only because there is hardly any premium offerings in Android that is top tier. The 5 year software update was icing on the cake.
brownkaiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 21:11   #31649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This seems to be Samsung 'feature'. 4 years it works fine. 5th year the phone is unusably bad.
I think it's universal and your mileage may vary, just as it does with our turbos, transmissions, clutches etc.

These Lithium ion batteries last typically only 500 charging cycles, give or take, depending upon optimum charging/discharging and workload. We should let the phone charge upto 80% only, +/- 5% and we must never let it discharge below 20%. And if we start charging from 20% and take it off the charger to attend calls in between, to plug it back again...that counts as 2 charging cycles. Not using fast charging can improve battery life; conversely, only using fast chargers will hurt it. Overall, battery degradation plays a huge factor in our overall downhill experience with phones.

Next comes software support; lack of it will degrade the phone's performance as well. Samsung does well here...I've heard that it's good with OnePlus as well. But OEM software support peters out for older models around the 4 year mark, maybe in the 5th year.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 09:04   #31650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking for phone suggestions for a friend.
I doubt if a iphone user will be able to make peace with a mid tier Android device. Its best the stick to another iphone. Besides; if the Office is going to pay for the phone, might as well add some extra from your side and pick up an iphone 12 (if not the 13). Battery life, camera quality and longevity are unbeatable with Apple devices. They are efficient too.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks