Old 13th October 2022, 04:30   #31876
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
I am also using S21FE and in daily use its perfect
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I recently moved to a S21FE after having the Note 8 for 4+ yrs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Check out the Samsung S22 (or the S22 plus)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Ended up buying the S22 Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
A weird issue on Samsung Galaxy S21FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I went ahead and pre-ordered the Z Flip 4 yesterday.
Guys, I was planning for S22 or S22 Ultra but reddit informed me, Samsung removed MST from their devices and have even removed Samsung Pay Rewards. Could you please confirm this? I could not anything specific about MST in their specifications. *#0*# would show if it's available in our Indian variant.

If they've toned down Samsung Pay to this extent I see no reason to stay with Samsung anymore. Samsung Pay and Poweramp were only two apps which were holding me to switch.

Last edited by batish : 13th October 2022 at 04:43.
Old 13th October 2022, 07:35   #31877
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Samsung removed MST from their devices and have even removed Samsung Pay Rewards. Could you please confirm this? I could not anything specific about MST in their specifications. *#0*# would show if it's available in our Indian variant.

If they've toned down Samsung Pay to this extent I see no reason to stay with Samsung anymore. Samsung Pay and Poweramp were only two apps which were holding me to switch.
If this is the thingie that mimicks magnetic stripes on a debit / credit card, surely, there are better criteria to base a phone purchase decision on.

First, cards are moving away from magnetic stripes to proximity based payments. Second, you can do this on a card - enable the card for proximity payment from the issues app and as soon as you take it close to machine, the payment is made*. Third, I don't use this on a phone.

The phone simply mimicks a card, and because cards are discontinuing magnetic stripes, phones too are doing it. NFC based mimick that chip on the card will continue to work, is what I understand. You can use Google pay for this.

I might be wrong because I do not use app based proximity payments. so, please do correct me - because I plan to use it on S 21 FE using gpay, though Samsung pay is there in this device.

* So, the pick pocket has new opportunities - he need not "bump" into you. Just pass you close enough.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 09:01   #31878
BHPian

Samsung pay has 2 technologies that it uses - MST (which replicates the magnetic card swipe) or NFC(which replicates the near field communication way - popularly called wifi by a layperson although grossly incorrect).

The main use case I see of Samsung pay is that of having your credit cards on the app, which cannot be done via any UPI app yet.

From a samsung video:
Source :

Relevant screengrab:
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20221013085821_chrome.jpg  

Last edited by deep_bang : 13th October 2022 at 09:03.
deep_bang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 12:36   #31879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If this is the thingie that mimicks magnetic stripes on a debit / credit card, surely, there are better criteria to base a phone purchase decision on.
Nope. I don't see any reason for staying with Samsung. They removed memory card slot, sp02 sensor, Iris scanner etc and a ton of other features which are usable in real life. If they're following Apple then why not go with the Apple itself? Anyway, that is a different topic and I don't want to deviate from the current issue.

Quote:
Second, you can do this on a card - enable the card for proximity payment from the issues app and as soon as you take it close to machine, the payment is made*.
I know sir. How samsung Pay works, I have been using it since the past 4 years. Never even had to carry my wallet. It has been that reliable. There are many shortcomings when you use just the NFC and drop MST.

Quote:
Third, I don't use this on a phone.
Then I don't think you really know the benefits and how it works.

Quote:
The phone simply mimicks a card, and because cards are discontinuing magnetic stripes, phones too are doing it. NFC based mimick that chip on the card will continue to work, is what I understand. You can use Google pay for this.
If I had to use Google Pay only then what is the point of Samsung Pay? Alright let me tell you the problem with NFC ONLY in our country. There are many POS terminals which don't have NFC activated or don't have NFC (hardware limitation) so what they need is actual card, which they can slot into POS terminal. This is where Samsung Pay comes in handy. With MST Tech, your phone which has the card saved in, which reproduces the same card details (although masked) to the POS Terminal similar to what an actual card does after slotting it in.

Secondly, ONLY NFC has a limitation. You cannot do any transaction based on NFC above Rs 5000. Earlier it was Rs 2000, but RBI revised it sometime back.

For example, you have to pay for groceries which amount to 6200, you'll have to give in original card from wallet as this NFC tap won't work. Same is the case when you need to refuel.

Quote:
I might be wrong because I do not use app based proximity payments. so, please do correct me - because I plan to use it on S 21 FE using gpay, though Samsung pay is there in this device.
The day you realise its convenience you won't go back to physical cards. Google and YouTube about it, you'll see how convenient it is. Plus you get rewards for transactions which are redeemable as gift vouchers - Myntra, Dominos, PVR etc.

Quote:
* So, the pick pocket has new opportunities - he need not "bump" into you. Just pass you close enough.
No Sir, No. You need to read about it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
The main use case I see of Samsung pay is that of having your credit cards on the app, which cannot be done via any UPI app yet.
Main use is, it can be used on 99% POS Terminals in our country. I never used my physical cards when I had Samsung Pay. NFC has amount limitation as I have listed above. Yes, credit cards too could be added and used with/without, NFC didn't matter.

This is what I'm asking now, Samsung has removed MST from their US Devices. I'm not sure about the Indian variants. Can somebody please confirm?

Last edited by batish : 13th October 2022 at 12:42.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 13:12   #31880
BHPian

Quote:

Secondly, ONLY NFC has a limitation. You cannot do any transaction based on NFC above Rs 5000. Earlier it was Rs 2000, but RBI revised it sometime back.

For example, you have to pay for groceries which amount to 6200, you'll have to give in original card from wallet as this NFC tap won't work. Same is the case when you need to refuel.

This is what I'm asking now, Samsung has removed MST from their US Devices. I'm not sure about the Indian variants. Can somebody please confirm?
Just to add some info on NFC limits. Credit card allows higher limits for NFC payment (so should be same limit for Samsung Pay). I have cards which are set to 10000 for contactless payment (NFC). There could be limit set by card issuer also.

This limit of 5000 may be in some PSU banks' (or may be all banks) debit card. I never used debit card in contactless mode, so cannot comment on that.

As far as I know, from Galaxy S20 onwards, Samsung removed MST even in India. I used it till my Galaxy S9. My current Galaxy S21 does not have it, only NFC. Agree that NFC enabled POS is not yet 100%; however just to add, used it in my whole trip to Ajanta Ellora, couple of petrol pumps on highways, in Kolkata and many places in Bangalore; it never failed (all of them had newer POS).

Last edited by dipdawiz : 13th October 2022 at 13:22.
Old 13th October 2022, 13:14   #31881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is where Samsung Pay comes in handy. With MST Tech, your phone which has the card saved in, which reproduces the same card details (although masked) to the POS Terminal similar to what an actual card does after slotting it in.
Well, as I understand it sunsetting the magnetic stripe on cards is an industry initiative with a definite timelines and in many markets POS devices that do not have the reader for the stripe have started appearing. The stripe is considered to be less secure than the chip + NFC system. Samsung is simply following suit.

https://www.mastercard.com/news/pers...gnetic-stripe/
Old 13th October 2022, 14:22   #31882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
This limit of 5000 may be in some PSU banks' (or may be all banks) debit card. I never used debit card in contactless mode, so cannot comment on that.
This limit has been set by RBI. Banks cannot do much. After this amount, PIN needs to be entered only then the transaction is successful. This is where MST used to come in handy, that is why I'm asking again and again - sure if they have removed this from Indian variants?

Link

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot-20221013-14.13.04.png

Quote:
As far as I know, from Galaxy S20 onwards, Samsung removed MST even in India. I used it till my Galaxy S9. My current Galaxy S21 does not have it, only NFC.
So there's no USP left for Samsung Pay now. AFAIK, Google Pay on iPhone does the same. Btw, are you sure about MST not present in S21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Well, as I understand it sunsetting the magnetic stripe on cards is an industry initiative with a definite timelines and in many markets POS devices that do not have the reader for the stripe have started appearing. The stripe is considered to be less secure than the chip + NFC system. Samsung is simply following suit.
Umm. Not following the suit really. It varies from country to country. See

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot-20221013-14.16.10.png

Not sure how reliable source this is but check this out.

Link 1

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot-20221013-14.19.12.png

Link 2

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot-20221013-14.20.00.png

OT: If they had decided to let this one feature off their phones, then why bringing it back now?

Now, can anybody please confirm whether Indian variant of S22/S22 Ultra is equipped with MST?

Last edited by batish : 13th October 2022 at 14:24.
Old 13th October 2022, 15:01   #31883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not following the suit really. It varies from country to country.
Probably just US and rest of the world. From what I read, the magstripe sunsetting has a 5-year delay in the US.
Old 13th October 2022, 17:12   #31884
BANNED

Quote:
Now, can anybody please confirm whether Indian variant of S22/S22 Ultra is equipped with MST?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Probably just US and rest of the world. From what I read, the magstripe sunsetting has a 5-year delay in the US.
This provoked me into a Google search and one review definitely says that the galaxy S21 FE does not have the MST. There is no such conclusive result / observation with S22.

However, the S 22 series is launched after the S21 FE. Hence, I'd presume that it does not have the MST.
Old 13th October 2022, 17:21   #31885
BHPian

Quote:
This limit has been set by RBI. Banks cannot do much. After this amount, PIN needs to be entered only then the transaction is successful.
Understood, giving PIN looses contactless benefit. But, you have the benefit of not carrying the card/wallet. As MST was the USP of Samsung which is lost, so contactless feature cannot be used to compare with iPhone anymore.

Quote:
Btw, are you sure about MST not present in S21?
Not tested myself, but various tweets and online forum confirms this feature is not there in S21.

Quote:

So, after those screenshots you posted, did little more digging on it (specifically for S22 ultra). Mixed bag answers, unless someone use one and confirms - its difficult to know. Different forums people say its there some say its not. However I felt that no one used the feature, as most POS has NFC. Then looked into our own amazon.in. Someone in "verified purchase" said it is there. But not sure if that person understands NFC vs MST. Another handle named Samsung India (though not marked as manufacturer in amazon.in) said it's not there. Only way to confirm is to drop a mail to Samsung India support I guess.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 13th October 2022 at 17:23.
dipdawiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 18:25   #31886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
But, you have the benefit of not carrying the card/wallet. As MST was the USP of Samsung which is lost, so contactless feature cannot be used to compare with iPhone anymore.
Yup. You got it. Unfortunately, Samsung just killed it.

Quote:
Not tested myself, but various tweets and online forum confirms this feature is not there in S21.
Not even in S22 Ultra.

Quote:
Only way to confirm is to drop a mail to Samsung India support I guess.
This is what they replied.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot-20221013-18.11.58.png

So they killed Iris scanner, expandable memory slot, Under Display Touch Physical Button, Heart Rate sensor, 3.5mm jack, WQHD Display and now Samsung Pay.

All these features were there in S8. Oh man! What is wrong with Samsung these days. I don't even see any USP left for Samsung to market their phones anymore. I guess the only upgrade which they think upgrade is Camera. Apart from that all handy nifty features are gone.

No wonder why iPhone sales are through the roof. This NFC contactless feature is present in my Blackberry which was launched in 2015.

Last edited by batish : 13th October 2022 at 18:29.
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 19:29   #31887
BHPian

Quote:

So they killed Iris scanner, expandable memory slot, Under Display Touch Physical Button, Heart Rate sensor, 3.5mm jack, WQHD Display and now Samsung Pay.

All these features were there in S8. Oh man! What is wrong with Samsung these days. I don't even see any USP left for Samsung to market their phone.
If Samsung support says so, then consider it's not there. Even if the hardware is there, with software they'll disable it.

Out of all the features they omitted, I really miss the physical fingerprint scanner and 3.5mm jack.

Never used expandable memory as since long back using NAS for backup, then added more backup with google drive (paid one). Also though iris scanner was accurate prefered only fingerprint. SPO2 and heartrate is really a value add though.

USP of Samsung for me is it's simplicity, specially since Android 10 onwards. Absolutly love One UI. Cost vs flagship feel of day to day usable features, it's VFM on specific discount days (thanks to Amazon and Flipkart). And easy & cheap repair. For example, my wife's S9's screen was replaced from Samsung service center with OEM parts - 9k all inclusive. Then, S21 screen is priced 10k + service charge. Glass back cover for my S9 changed 3200 all inclusive.That made me never use a back cover, only a tempered glass on screen.

I guess there are some points still left for Samsung; but yes feature vs feature and novelty comparison Samsung may be losing out to its rivals.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 13th October 2022 at 19:44.
dipdawiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 21:17   #31888
Team-BHP Support

All this talk on NFC motivated me to try it out on my Samsung.

Its such a cool feature. I feel like a fool for not having done this before. Absolutely love it. I no longer need to carry my credit cards along when going out to Gym etc. I usually stop by at the departmental store to pick up stuff on the way back. The phone I anyways need because of "music".
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 21:47   #31889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Its such a cool feature. I feel like a fool for not having done this before.
I don't know if Samsung is offering rewards now but had you done this earlier, you would have accumulated lot of Samsung Pay points along with Credit/Debit card rewards.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 21:50   #31890
BHPian

I am a regular Samsung user since S2 and now S21 FE but never used Samsung Pay. For small payments Google Pay and for big payments app of my bank account. My bank account app has a QR scanner/UPI id/mobile number so never felt the need to put my cards(Credit-Debit) on the cell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks