Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2022, 21:25   #31921
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
Have ordered the Moto G62. Wanted a phone with stock android. Had a Lenovo K6 power previously, which lasted for 4 and a half years without any problems. Hope this one too would last long. Other than the camera and LCD display, I hope it's a good package.
Edit: Moto was initially known for its good camera eg. Moto G5 plus. But it's what they lack now.
After using the Moto G62, I am satisfied with my purchase. Was confused whether I should have ordered the G72. The G72 had Amoled screen, a better camera than G62, but was pricier by Rs 3K.

The Moto G62 satisfies my needs well. It has a good processor, stock android. The screen though LCD is of good quality, but not so bright in sunlight. The speakers are loud and clear. The camera experience is average and low light photography is bad. The phone's battery lasts a day and half on average browsing and social media use.

I got the phone for Rs.14.5K and consider it as value for money. Those interested in a clean stock android phone should consider this.

Thanks.

Last edited by RR96 : 2nd November 2022 at 21:46.
RR96 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 21:31   #31922
BHPian

I was looking for an upgrade for my phone during the Sale period and i was astonished to see that a small screen phone + audio jack were almost impossible to find. I really hate to carry these portable laptops in my pocket, i loved the sizes of the early androids and the redmi 5 series those around 4.5 to 5 inch screen fulfilled all the needs without compromising a lot.

I miss the era of 5 inch screens and headphone jacks, even if i go flagship it's a 6 or 7 inch edge to edge bla bla bla screen with bla bla hertz without headphone jack, i really like to use wired headphones and earphones. If i need to listen to a video/voice note i just unplug the jack from my laptop and plug it into the phone.

I recently bought a used 2017 iphone se and it really fulfills all the needs but i hate the battery backup and ios, ios is just too restrictive to use so switched back to redmi note 10.

Perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way, but I apologize for the rant.

Last edited by revvharder : 2nd November 2022 at 21:35.
revvharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 21:47   #31923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Wife needs to upgrade from her aging Oneplus 7T. Two important criteria that she's looking at:

1. Lightweight and good ergonomics.
2. 256GB of internal storage.
Your S20 FE 5G is having 4500mAh battery and if it could not satisfy you, I highly doubt something else will other than iPhone.
It's either going to be heavy and good battery life or light but average battery life. You can pick your option.

Realme GT Master Edition is a nice one which I am using now. It's light weight and give decent battery life (4300 mAh) considering the form factor. Screen on time range from 4.5 to 6 hours depending on my usage.
There is one thing to consider here. These Realme phones are having high charging speeds. Half an hour will almost fully charge mine. So a lower battery life can be neglected considering the super fast charging speed.
The21st is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 00:36   #31924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
I was looking for an upgrade for my phone during the Sale period and i was astonished to see that a small screen phone + audio jack were almost impossible to find.
The Asus Zenfone 8z, but I guess it's too late in the day now.
Old 3rd November 2022, 07:28   #31925
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Thanks.

Is there a solution for enabling controls on a child's Android phone, while a parent controls it via her iPhone?
It's good to check and confirm this bit. Last I tried, the other way did not work - enable controls on the child's iPhone via Android phone.

Now I am back on iPhone and it's easy to manage parental controls using Screentime. My daughter's iPhone turns into an expensive brick from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 09:12   #31926
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It's good to check and confirm this bit. Last I tried, the other way did not work - enable controls on the child's iPhone via Android phone.

Now I am back on iPhone and it's easy to manage parental controls using Screentime. My daughter's iPhone turns into an expensive brick from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am
Need help in activating this functionality from iPhone to iPhone / iPad / iMac and from Android to Android & if possible, for Windows.
Old 3rd November 2022, 11:46   #31927
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Need help in activating this functionality from iPhone to iPhone / iPad / iMac and from Android to Android & if possible, for Windows.
Not sure of all of the above, but for iOS add child's apple id into the family and setup the screen time. Phone usage time, as well as apps usage (by group or individual apps) can be limited as well. This works for iPad as well.

Google Familylink works in the same way (by adding child's google account).
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 15:14   #31928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbaman View Post
I am using Moto Edge 30 for the last 03 months. Yes, it's super lightweight and feels lighter than its direct competitor Xiaomi 11 Lite NE 5G. The battery lasts more than a day with normal usage. With extensive usage, you'll still get a minimum of 20% battery left at the end of the day. Please consider that I don't use my phone for gaming. And many times I am in no network zone, which uses a little extra battery. Anyways 33 Watt charger charges it from 10 to 100% in around 1 hr.
Hi, I got myself moto edge 30 last month, but I'm facing very weird issue with charging. Sometimes when I plug it in, the device gets charged, sometimes it doesn't. And some days it just shows animation in battery icon as connected disconnected. Flipkart support is as useless as it can get. I tried looking on the internet but couldn't find any solution. Have you faced such weird behaviour from this phone of yours ? PS the charger that came with box is working fine, it charges other devices easily. Same with this phone, it gets charged with other chargers too I don't know how to pinpoint this issue. Should I visit the Motorola service centre?
Old 7th November 2022, 18:46   #31929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Same with this phone, it gets charged with other chargers too
Pragmatic answer: settle for that! I know it may feel like not getting the full deal that you paid for.

Has anyone ever bought refurbished from Amazon? I am disinclined to do so, especially with expensive electronics, but sometimes a deal tempts! This Google Pixel 4a 5g did. It's gone today (link will probably stop working). The rounded price was 20k.

I only bought refurbished once. It was a >20k router. I cannot say if the device would have been good, because it was a bait-and-switch scam, with a cheap router in the box. Amazon fully refunded, but I missed out on a deal and ended up spending more.

With refurbished electronics, I just wonder why it had been returned, and if the problem had been truly fixed.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th November 2022 at 18:48.
Old 8th November 2022, 07:36   #31930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Have you faced such weird behaviour from this phone of yours ? PS the charger that came with box is working fine, it charges other devices easily. Same with this phone, it gets charged with other chargers too I don't know how to pinpoint this issue. Should I visit the Motorola service centre?
Never faced such an issue with my phone. Charging is fine with out of the box charger which came with the phone. You should visit Motorola Service Centre and get the charger replaced as it is still under warranty. It might work as you mentioned the phone is getting charged with other chargers well.
itsbaman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 17:21   #31931
BHPian

Dear Team,

I am in the market to purchase a new phone with the budget of about 900 AED (in UAE) which translates to about 20k INR. Highly inclined on getting a new Samsung Note 9 or a used Note 10 plus.

Pls. brief me on all the issues that I need to foresee considering a usage of 2-3 years in future.

Few of my questions are as below:

1- If there are no software updates, is it true that my phone will be lagging inherently?
2- What sort of security breaches should I expect?
3- Apart from the status factor, are there any other downsides of getting a 4 year old model?
Old 12th November 2022, 08:51   #31932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
Dear Team,

I am in the market to purchase a new phone with the budget of about 900 AED (in UAE) which translates to about 20k INR. Highly inclined on getting a new Samsung Note 9 or a used Note 10 plus.

Pls. brief me on all the issues that I need to foresee considering a usage of 2-3 years in future.

Few of my questions are as below:

1- If there are no software updates, is it true that my phone will be lagging inherently?
3- Apart from the status factor, are there any other downsides of getting a 4 year old model?
For Samsung Phones you will get all info on "https://www.sammobile.com/"

IMHO If you get a new one than it is ideal but if not then one yr old model will be better as 4yr old will not be compatible with the new technological changes.
Old 12th November 2022, 09:49   #31933
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Team,

I would like to know the correct answers for the first two.
My opinion is that routine software & security updates are highly overrated.
Sure we need bug fixes and very critical security updates but beyond that I would not lose any sleep over it.

Moreover general software updates like Android updates which are not particularly device specific tend to make phones laggy as these updates are more keeping in mind newer hardware which older hardware will find it harder to keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
For Samsung Phones you will get all info on "https://www.sammobile.com/"

IMHO If you get a new one than it is ideal but if not then one yr old model will be better as 4yr old will not be compatible with the new technological changes.
I agree.
Old 12th November 2022, 11:31   #31934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More than the Android OS itself, what causes lagging as the years pass by is, in my belief, feature creep in your daily-use apps. A nippy app in its early days will add more and more "features" that add little value to the end user but only enabled data collection and behavioural tracking, slowing itself down perceptibly over a couple of years.

My own strategy has been (a) use mobile web versions and not the apps as much as possible, (b) where I can't do this do an install-use-uninstall cycle each time, and finally (c) when that also is not possible (daily use apps etc.) - just live with it. I also keep two phones so it becomes easier to split my apps between them.

Quote:

Of course the holy grail is Pegasus. There seems to be malware that are less sophisticated out in the market; more often than not these are more often than not deployed to target specific individuals and not in an opportunistic fashion. Credential theft seems to be the biggest threat in India, but there is also impersonation, financial scams etc. all reported with depressing regularity.

Quote:

At this point - I don't expect a 4-year old phone to be able to support India's 5G network.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 07:25   #31935
BHPian

Hi, I, unfortunately, dropped my 1-year old Google Pixel 5a last week and the display is not coming up. There is absolutely NOT a single scratch or crack in the display. The phone is working fine - as I was getting calls even after the display was gone and could feel the vibration when I touch the fingerprint sensor etc.,

Restarts and restart-into-recovery-mode etc., doesn't work.

Googled around and found a couple of links which says "physical disconnect of the screen assembly cable from the motherboard is a possibility".

- of course, I couldn't try these steps as they seem to be a lot aggressive and violent . But, there are many folks who have commented saying that one of these steps worked for them.

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Google_P...e_Black_Screen

1. Anyone owning any of the Pixel phones faced this issue?
2. Any reliable service centre in Chennai - from your first-hand experience?

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks