Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2023, 12:51   #32011
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
It's been nearly 3.5 years with my humble OnePlus 7 and I'm amazed how well this fella still runs. I can confidently say that the 7 series was the last generation wherein the true identity of OP devices were still there, after which things took a downward spiral with OP.
Completely agree with you. I still use my nearly 4 year old OnePlus 7. And yes, OP7 series was perhaps the last true OnePlus series. I still havent received the Android 12 update, and going by the reviews, not planning to install it either. Cant believe they messed it up this bad! My last experience with a bad update was with my Zenfone 2 (ZE550ML) where the update to Marshmallow ruined the phone.

While the phone is still fast, the single camera setup has become terribly outdated. I had replaced the battery about a year ago, and its still running (almost) like new. But the sad camera and lack of proper updates is making me want to get a new one. For our recent trip, I didnt even bother taking out the phone for pics, my wife's S20FE was the primary shooter.

While the OP11 seems like a step in the right direction, the camera has poor reviews. Needless to say, this will be my last OnePlus device.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-op7.jpg

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 20th February 2023 at 13:03.
GeneralJazz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 22:31   #32012
BHPian

I have been using OnePlus 8 Pro for the last two years, its just brilliant. OP botched up with the decision to shift to Color OS from Oxygen OS, they said they will revert to Oxygen OS but they just rebranded Color OS to Oxygen OS. BBK is slowly but surely trying to kill the OnePlus brand. They got the attention they needed with the OnePlus brand and they are slowly pushing iQOO and Realme brands to replace OnePlus. But they are forgetting Oxygen OS is the integral part of the OP success story. It was never about just specifications. I might keep my OP8Pro for one more year.
tchsvy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:59   #32013
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Since the Samsung Flip was reset, I'm reinstalling the apps one by one.

One big pain = WhatsApp calls are ringing loud & clear, but they don't show on the display when my phone is on standby. I have to unlock the phone to see who is calling.

Please advise how to fix this. Tried some Google'bhai options, but couldn't figure it out.

Thanks.
Old 28th February 2023, 12:42   #32014
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
One big pain = WhatsApp calls are ringing loud & clear, but they don't show on the display when my phone is on standby. I have to unlock the phone to see who is calling.
Happened to me once!

- Press and hold whatsapp icon
- Press the circled (i)

You get the Whatsapp App Info:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20230228_123835_settings.jpg

Make sure Notification are 'Allowed'. Even if 'Allowed', click on the it so that you get to Whatsapp App Notifications menu:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20230228_123938_settings.jpg

Here, make sure Pop-up is set to 'allowed'
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 17:02   #32015
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Happened to me once!
Thanks a ton, SmartCat! Amazing how one receives spot-on advice on Team-BHP instantly, but not after Googling & visiting 10 different websites.

Solved

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20230301-08.46.27.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 21:16   #32016

Hi all!
I need advice with regard to my mother's android phone. She uses a Samsung S20 Fan Edition. We have a network problem at home, so we rely on wifi calling, but sometimes if the phone's screen is off for longer, she cannot receive calls. The same happens with the Jio Voice App that she uses for free calling over our jio wifi.
I showed this to the service centre they even did "software" but no help.
Kindly advise as it is a new phone in warranty but she is not satisfied with it.
Thanks.
Old 1st March 2023, 22:39   #32017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbrakes View Post
Hi all!
I need advice with regard to my mother's android phone. She uses a Samsung S20 Fan Edition. We have a network problem at home, so we rely on wifi calling, but sometimes if the phone's screen is off for longer, she cannot receive calls. The same happens with the Jio Voice App that she uses for free calling over our jio wifi.
I showed this to the service centre they even did "software" but no help.
Kindly advise as it is a new phone in warranty but she is not satisfied with it.
Thanks.
I am not sure if this will help. I have a s20fe. I had a problem where an app was running on the background that was accessing a network drive. After some time the network (wifi) used to disconnect.

I found a solution by these 2 steps:
1. Disable power saving (if you swipe down the top of the screen, you should find this option). The power saving option severely affects wifi, based on my experience.
In your case if wifi is off and there is no signal, then obviously the calls won't work.
In fact even if wifi is running, I think that calls will use wifi only after the initial call is established over gsm. But I am not sure.

2. Leave the phone connected to power. Even when power saving is disabled, I found that wifi gets disconnected after some time (much longer than if power saving was enabled - but still it gets cut). Leaving it connected allowed wifi to be on forever.

Finally, if you have not already done this, ensure that the jio phone app through which you are going to receive the call has permission to run in the background and use wifi in the background. If not android will not let the app use wifi in background (and the definition of background is a little hazy and does not necessarily mean that the app is not open). So it may work for sometime even after you switch off the display.

There may be some setting in the developer options to keep wifi on during sleep. I have not played with those settings but there may be something to help keep wifi on.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 16:12   #32018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Completely agree with you. I still use my nearly 4 year old OnePlus 7. And yes, OP7 series was perhaps the last true OnePlus series.
You've got company buddy! Bought in October 2019, the OnePlus 7 was my first experience with the brand's products and it has lasted me well over the 2 year period that most of my phones in the last decade or so have lasted. Had it not been for the limitation of the 128 GB storage capacity I would not have even been surfing this thread

Whilst I shopped at a physical store couple of months ago I realized Samsung with its value offerings starting with its M30S back in 2019 has regained its market leader position which it had conceded to the onslaught of MI, RealMe, Motorola, etc.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 15:54   #32019
Oxy
BHPian

A weird issue that I am facing with my Samsung S20 FE 5G is that when I record a video and share it with someone on Whatsapp, only half the video is shared.

For example, if it's a 5 minute video, after it is received by the recipient on WhatsApp, s/he finds the video length is only 2 minutes.

I am using a 128gb memory card as well, and the phone already has 128gb internal storage built in.

Is anyone else here facing this issue?

Last edited by Oxy : 4th March 2023 at 15:55.
Old 5th March 2023, 10:35   #32020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
A weird issue that I am facing with my Samsung S20 FE 5G is that when I record a video and share it with someone on Whatsapp, only half the video is shared.

For example, if it's a 5 minute video, after it is received by the recipient on WhatsApp, s/he finds the video length is only 2 minutes.

I am using a 128gb memory card as well, and the phone already has 128gb internal storage built in.

Is anyone else here facing this issue?
It is the issue of whatsapp as there is a limit to how much data you can send.
ACMerchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 11:13   #32021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
It is the issue of whatsapp as there is a limit to how much data you can send.
As far as I know, WA video up load limit is 64MB.
Old 5th March 2023, 21:12   #32022
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there anyway I can read microSD card on a phone that does not have microSD slot, like say Google pixel?

Scenario - I need to transfer photos from a microSD card on a phone that does not have microSD slot and then forward the photos/videos to a whatsapp group.
Old 5th March 2023, 21:35   #32023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is there anyway I can read microSD card on a phone that does not have microSD slot, like say Google pixel?
You need something like this.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-a1.jpg

https://www.amazon.in/Wayona-WCR1CS-.../dp/B0787VPK8V
mukeshgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 21:52   #32024
BHPian

H all,

Is it possible to install Microsoft office in cars infotainment system ? Purpose is to receive office emails on the display thru bluetooth from the mobile. Kindly share your experiences on this pls.
Old 6th March 2023, 01:04   #32025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Scenario - I need to transfer photos from a microSD card on a phone that does not have microSD slot and then forward the photos/videos to a whatsapp group.
Something like this would have you covered multiple ways.

I use the USB C-A converter that came in-box with the Pixel 4a, combined with a USB A microSD card reader (or a full SD converter) that came bundled with a Strontium microSD card a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20230305_193201920.jpg  

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th March 2023 at 01:06.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed