Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2023, 10:49   #32086
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Those looking to get the 7a, I would suggest them to wait for a few months. Pretty sure the hype will die down and there'll be some great offers on Flipkart on the 7a. IIRC, the 6a too was launched at 40k something and within a matter of 3-4 months it had seen a big price drop.

My friend picked the 6a for around 28k in just 4 months of launch. Again, depending upon the type of offers / discounts one manages to grab at that time.

Having said that, I feel even the 7 will retail for a 'good price' in a few months. And with the minor price difference, the 7 seems like a better deal over the 7a IMO.
ashvek3141 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 11:03   #32087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What you say makes sense, except, for me, I do not want a bigger screen/phone.

Anyway, my finger is not itching over the buy now button. I was being being tempted by the 6a. The 7a release does not make me want to rush for either, rather, I'll wait a while and see the prices of both models.
I wouldn't mind a bigger screen, but the result often is a bigger phone. Not in the case of the 7 and 7A.

7A - 152 x 72.9 x 9 mm
7 - 155.6 x 73.2 x 8.7 mm

Just a 0.3mm difference in width between the two. All because of the thick side bezels. And the 7 is thinner. Am sure the 7 would be as easy/difficult to handle as the 7A.

6A should drop prices soon, I guess; and it's a more pocketable phone.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 15:09   #32088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
... 6A should drop prices soon, I guess; and it's a more pocketable phone.
Pocketable is the key word. It must fit in kurta pocket, and without sticking out where it is vulnerable to loss or theft. This is how I carry my phone: it cannot be changed.

Ideally, it would fit the leather pouch that I have kept my last three phones in, but that might not be possible for ever!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 18:34   #32089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
The Galaxy S23 (vanilla) is enticing me, the trade-in offer for my OP 8Pro also looks good at around 25k, and the total damage to the pocket after the HDFC card discount is Rs.47,289/- it seems.
So went ahead and pulled the trigger! After the exchange of OP 8Pro and HDFC card offer, the total damage to the pocket was Rs.45,397/-. I shelled out 1299 more for the charger.

Initial impressions are good, feels nice in the hand. From the screen real estate POV the transition from a 6.7" to a 6.1" display is not bothering me too much. UFS 4.0 memory coupled with USB C 3.1 proved to be a lifesaver while copy-pasting all the backed-up files. Need to test the Camera and other stuff, but for now, absolutely love the premium feel of the device.
tchsvy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 20:29   #32090
Oxy
BHPian

The Lava Agni 2 looks incredible for the price (just saw it's features on Amazon). It's so heart warming to see an Indian brand giving the Chinese players a real run for their money.

The question though is, how many people would invest Rs.20,000 on a Lava phone. My wife wants to ditch her Oneplus 7T and I am in the process of convincing her to pick up the Lava, but that effort is likely to end up being fruitless.

Last edited by Oxy : 16th May 2023 at 20:32.
Old 16th May 2023, 22:17   #32091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
....The question though is, how many people would invest Rs.20,000 on a Lava phone. My wife wants to ditch her Oneplus 7T and I am in the process of convincing her to pick up the Lava, but that effort is likely to end up being fruitless.
Will the price of 20k include the ₹2000 flat CC/DC discount? If yes then people could consider that as a very value driven offer.

What difference does the brand make? I have never come across anyone who found a manufacturing defect in their phone for it to require any company service center support. 7-8yrs ago when I had an MI phone, & a poor experience at the ASC, decided that I'd absolutely avoid MI service centers.
Old 16th May 2023, 22:42   #32092
Distinguished - BHPian

I find that I have become fixated on the Pixel 7a.

It's just a matter of how long I can wait for the price to drop. Or if Sony announces a new APS-C camera. Hmmm.... that would be at least four times the 7a price
Old 16th May 2023, 23:39   #32093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It's just a matter of how long I can wait for the price to drop. Or if Sony announces a new APS-C camera. Hmmm.... that would be at least four times the 7a price
Count me in the club. Not the Sony one but the former
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 00:17   #32094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Count me in the club...
I had to resign from the "Pixel 6a is super value and good enough" club.
Old 17th May 2023, 00:55   #32095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had to resign from the "Pixel 6a is super value and good enough" club.
I'm a pixel 7 user and i find that my pixel 5a was much more vfm and comfortable to use. Big plus was dedicated fingerprint sensor vs this crappy on-screen sensor. I feel the tone and saturation on photos taken with 5a are closer to natural whereas the 7 tends to make it more "vivid" ala Samsung. If you can find a 5a go for it

Edit - 5a available on Amazon for 25k

Last edited by procrj : 17th May 2023 at 00:56.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 01:09   #32096
BHPian

Pls. advice best app to "Phone Clone" Old Handset - Huwaei Mate 20 New Handset : Honor 70.

Phone clone app provided by Huwaei is not detecting handsets. While other third party apps on app store are giving some random error during transfer.

Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 13:56   #32097
Oxy
BHPian

Looks like curved displays is the new ongoing trend. The only problem with that is you cannot install a tempered glass on it, and if the display breaks due to an accidental fall then you end up spending pretty much the entire value of the phone.

Does anyone here know of a hack to install tempered glass on a curved screen?
Old 23rd May 2023, 03:27   #32098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Count me in the club. Not the Sony one but the former
I too, wanted to go for the 7a from the current 4a that I am using for the past 3 years. For my kind of usage it felt like the perfect phone. But looking at the recent review for Indian users by Youtuber Geekyranjit has left in 2 minds as it has heating issues which are to the extent of being uncomfortable. This is giving me second thoughts about the whole pixel line up itself owing to the Tensor chips they are using which is causing this heating issue.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:30   #32099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Looks like curved displays is the new ongoing trend. The only problem with that is you cannot install a tempered glass on it, and if the display breaks due to an accidental fall then you end up spending pretty much the entire value of the phone.

Does anyone here know of a hack to install tempered glass on a curved screen?
There are tempered glasses that use a special kind of glue and UV light to cure it.
They can be tricky to apply and I am not sure how easy they are to remove if cracked.
I hate this trend of curved screens and while it was reserved to samsung flagships, now all companies have decided that they need to give curved screens.
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:55   #32100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I too, wanted to go for the 7a from the current 4a that I am using for the past 3 years. For my kind of usage it felt like the perfect phone. But looking at the recent review for Indian users by Youtuber Geekyranjit has left in 2 minds as it has heating issues which are to the extent of being uncomfortable. This is giving me second thoughts about the whole pixel line up itself owing to the Tensor chips they are using which is causing this heating issue.
Moving from Pixel 4a you should also look at weight and thickness of 7a. I have 4a and recently bought 6a looking at the launch price of 7a.

6a is lighter than 7a and still feels lot heavy and bit uncomfortable to hold.

Nothing beats 4a in terms of how easy it is to carry around.
shashant is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed