Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 17:32   #3346
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
HTC phones have historically reported poor battery life. I dont know whether this flaw has been rectified with the latest model. Dell XCD35/ZTE Blade/Orange SF is a proven work horse and definitely my choice.
Guys,

Quick question once again. I am getting a brand new Xperia X10 from UK for 150 GBP. is that worth. At todays conversion rate its costing me 11,090/-.

My friend is flying in 2 weeks and he is carrying it for me. Is it better than XCD35 and HTC?

refer site below

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/spe...fers/clearance

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 26th May 2011 at 17:47.
Old 26th May 2011, 18:44   #3347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

Quick question once again. I am getting a brand new Xperia X10 from UK for 150 GBP. is that worth. At todays conversion rate its costing me 11,090/-.

My friend is flying in 2 weeks and he is carrying it for me. Is it better than XCD35 and HTC?

refer site below

The Carphone Warehouse
If you're talking about the X10, which comes with android 1.6 (ancient). It's a big no no. The phone looks nice, is very laggy, menu's aren't smooth etc. Android 1.6 is really obsolete now.

However, getting to the pure value for money aspect of it, i.e. you getting it for 11k, its ok. When I bought my moto milestone, the xperia x10 and the iphone 3GS were the only other choices. The xperia x10 used to sell for 28,500 back then, and it was still bad. The camera was good as most other sony ericsson phones are, but the interface and the usability was plain sad. It retails for abotu 18k now, and its' be succeeded by the Xperia Arc, which in turn is one of the greatest phones ever made.

So to summarize -
Pros
1. 11k price
2. Nice large screen
3. Good camera

Cons
1. Android 1.6
2. Obsolete tech for todays smartphone world
3. Slow laggy phone
4. Phones almost out of the market

So there you go. And with regard to your query regarding the Dell and the HTC. Dell I won't comment since I haven't used one. HTC has SEVERAL android phones all across the board. Depending your budget, I think the HTC wildfire starts at about 13k, going up to the super wonderful Desire HD and Incredible S for about 22 to 23k. The incredible goes for about 25k though.

See what your budget is. High end HTC phones are glorious machines.
Old 26th May 2011, 19:05   #3348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
If you're talking about the X10, which comes with android 1.6 (ancient). It's a big no no. The phone looks nice, is very laggy, menu's aren't smooth etc. Android 1.6 is really obsolete now.

However, getting to the pure value for money aspect of it, i.e. you getting it for 11k, its ok. When I bought my moto milestone, the xperia x10 and the iphone 3GS were the only other choices. The xperia x10 used to sell for 28,500 back then, and it was still bad. The camera was good as most other sony ericsson phones are, but the interface and the usability was plain sad. It retails for abotu 18k now, and its' be succeeded by the Xperia Arc, which in turn is one of the greatest phones ever made.

So to summarize -
Pros
1. 11k price
2. Nice large screen
3. Good camera

Cons
1. Android 1.6
2. Obsolete tech for todays smartphone world
3. Slow laggy phone
4. Phones almost out of the market

So there you go. And with regard to your query regarding the Dell and the HTC. Dell I won't comment since I haven't used one. HTC has SEVERAL android phones all across the board. Depending your budget, I think the HTC wildfire starts at about 13k, going up to the super wonderful Desire HD and Incredible S for about 22 to 23k. The incredible goes for about 25k though.

See what your budget is. High end HTC phones are glorious machines.
Thanks for the response man. The X10 is shipped with 2.1 now. I used X10 for a breif period few months ago. Can't really comment much as the useage was for a few hrs. My budget as mentioned is tops 14K. And the only 2 I liked in that range are HTC wildfire S and Dell XCD35. And suddenly I got this offer from a friend. Coverting £150 works out around 11K. Which fits in my pocket.

Is anyone here using X10 with Android 2.1 and throw some light on the phone and its pros and cons. Please.

Guess if not X10 HTC WF2 is the phone I will pick.

Thanks all.
Old 26th May 2011, 19:15   #3349
BHPian

Had never used an android device till feb this year. Got my Notion Ink Adam (3G model which i ordered during dec last), used it for around 2 months. Started with child like eagerness to use, but the half baked software, force closes and frequent crashes (Notion Ink and its implementation to blame) left a bad taste. Did couple of updates, but things improved only just about. When the Adam worked, it was good, movies, connectivity, GPS was excellent. The Tegra2 worked great. Battery life was max 3 hrs.

Ordered the Motorola Atrix 4G, and got it delivered by a friend this month. Was charmed by the Tegra2, 1GB RAM and the biometric scanner. Now this moto phone comes with a huge 1900mah something battery. I was expecting a days usage with ease. But even after 2 updates, it was not easy reaching 14hours. Of course, i had gmail, corp mail sync'g from 10-7. The finger print scanner had issues once in a while, refusing to register a finger swipe.

The Adam has a 7.2Mbps HSDPA, whereas Atrix 4G 14.4Mbps. Surprisingly i got better speeds on the Adam. (3.44Mbps using 3G compared to max of 1.5Mbps measured at the same spot/time frame)

Cutting a long story short- Bid adieu to both the devices (Adam, Atrix), and as the Safari tagline says, reclaimed my life..
Old 26th May 2011, 19:22   #3350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
PS. I work for MTV and we've done some stuff for Samsung... so i'm trying to get my hands on it earlier...
So is it possible to extend the same to a fellow team BHPian
Old 26th May 2011, 19:25   #3351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Thanks for the response man. The X10 is shipped with 2.1 now. I used X10 for a breif period few months ago. Can't really comment much as the useage was for a few hrs. My budget as mentioned is tops 14K. And the only 2 I liked in that range are HTC wildfire S and Dell XCD35. And suddenly I got this offer from a friend. Coverting £150 works out around 11K. Which fits in my pocket.

Is anyone here using X10 with Android 2.1 and throw some light on the phone and its pros and cons. Please.

Thanks all.
I have used my friends Xperia X10, agreed the phone is a bit laggy, however when you compare it with Wildfire S, it's much superior in specs. Also, I have heard Sony is going to release 2.3 gingerbread for X10. IMHO there is no comparison between X10 and Wildfire S,you can go for X10 for 11K.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=2964

Last edited by OHCVtec : 26th May 2011 at 19:30. Reason: Added URL.
Old 26th May 2011, 19:49   #3352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l

Thanks all.
I would say get the x10, root it and install a custom rom. It is a much better hardware than your other options.
Old 26th May 2011, 22:10   #3353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Had never used an android device till feb this year. Got my Notion Ink Adam (3G model which i ordered during dec last), used it for around 2 months. Started with child like eagerness to use, but the half baked software, force closes and frequent crashes (Notion Ink and its implementation to blame) left a bad taste. Did couple of updates, but things improved only just about. When the Adam worked, it was good, movies, connectivity, GPS was excellent. The Tegra2 worked great. Battery life was max 3 hrs.

Ordered the Motorola Atrix 4G, and got it delivered by a friend this month. Was charmed by the Tegra2, 1GB RAM and the biometric scanner. Now this moto phone comes with a huge 1900mah something battery. I was expecting a days usage with ease. But even after 2 updates, it was not easy reaching 14hours. Of course, i had gmail, corp mail sync'g from 10-7. The finger print scanner had issues once in a while, refusing to register a finger swipe.

The Adam has a 7.2Mbps HSDPA, whereas Atrix 4G 14.4Mbps. Surprisingly i got better speeds on the Adam. (3.44Mbps using 3G compared to max of 1.5Mbps measured at the same spot/time frame)

Cutting a long story short- Bid adieu to both the devices (Adam, Atrix), and as the Safari tagline says, reclaimed my life..

IF your main problem with the Atrix was the battery life, you should install a custom ROM. I'm using a Motorola Milestone and with stock OS i used to get about 5 - 6 hours to a charge, but after switching to CM7, inspite of overclocking the phone to 1 GHz, i get atleast 14 - 16 hours of charge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So is it possible to extend the same to a fellow team BHPian
I'll try my best bro, but no guarantees, this mostly won't even work for me!

Last edited by Eddy : 26th May 2011 at 22:33. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 26th May 2011, 23:07   #3354
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha just kidding. I will wait for the 9th. 2 more weeks with my nokia 6500 slide .
Old 26th May 2011, 23:12   #3355
Senior - BHPian

Even that app (if there Is one) will be useful only until the battery runs out or when the thief removes the battery!
Old 26th May 2011, 23:47   #3356
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Oh by the way another app i forgot to share with you'll is Lookout its free.
It backs up you data, remotely locks your phone to avoid someone accessing your phone, locates it if stolen via gps, flashes a sms to whoever found it among other things could be useful in case you misplace your precious android
Not sure how many fans of HTC Sense around here - but it does all that and then some.

BTW, anyone found a decent, reliable call recorder app? I am used to Voxtrack in Symbian, but all those for Android in the market and out seems to be a dull shade of wannabes...
Old 27th May 2011, 00:38   #3357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
IF your main problem with the Atrix was the battery life, you should install a custom ROM. I'm using a Motorola Milestone and with stock OS i used to get about 5 - 6 hours to a charge, but after switching to CM7, inspite of overclocking the phone to 1 GHz, i get atleast 14 - 16 hours of charge...

The Atrix has a locked, encrypted bootloader. Guru's at XDA have developed a custom ROM, but comes with a caveat- Factory reset not possible without bricking, and powering off the Atrix is a strict no.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th May 2011 at 20:18. Reason: data. EDIT: Quote fixed.
Old 27th May 2011, 01:10   #3358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Not sure how many fans of HTC Sense around here - but it does all that and then some.
Honestly i believe the Sense ui is the best skin of any android manufacturer. The built quality of HTC is also solid, only place samsung has an edge is access to latest hardware (like screen, flash memory etc...the components they manufacture themselves) but there ui is a bad copy of the iphone's.
Though hopefully if google is to be believed all this will become pointless once ice cream sandwich comes out at the end of this year
Old 27th May 2011, 01:37   #3359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
The Atrix has a locked, encrypted bootloader. Guru's at XDA have developed a custom ROM, but comes with a caveat- Factory reset not possible without bricking, and powering off the Atrix is a strict no.
ahhhh.. that way.... they've almost worked around that problem with the Motorola Milestone, on which i'm running CM7, but because of their blocked bootloaders, i'm switching to a SGS2 as soon as i can get my hands on one.
Old 27th May 2011, 01:40   #3360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Though hopefully if google is to be believed all this will become pointless once ice cream sandwich comes out at the end of this year
Are they locking the UI up???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks