Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 20:29   #3391
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Congratulations.......... which version of android does it ship with...
Thank You! It comes preloaded with Froyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Just keep your eye on the apps you install
Agreed Rehaan! Experienced it right on the second day after downloading some fancy apps Luckily there was no personal data on my fone as i din't sync it. So did a clean install right away.

Now I review the apps thoroughly before installing it. No problems so far with those trusted apps installed after that. Touchwood!
Old 27th May 2011, 21:55   #3392
BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
For the Android users, isn't there a standard way of looking at all the open apps on the phone? Is it because system tasks are difficult to separate from apps?

On Nokia 5800, if I keep the app button pressed, it will show all the open apps and you can kill them if you want.
Just keep the home button pressed for a fraction longer and you will get a pop-up with all the open apps. With Froyo, you also get the task manager in the pop-up.
Old 28th May 2011, 01:16   #3393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Am not a nokia fanboy, but discount Nokia at your own risk. The switchover to windows will only add options. Apple, Blackberry and Android are good, but, trust Nokia to bounce back.

Just saw the news update that Nokia will continue support for Symbian till 2016 atleast..!!
Good in the sense that current and near future Nokia customers wont be left in the lurch. I have observed that lots of people using smartphones use them like dumbphones. Some haven't even installed a app in their life. Just recently, I installed WhatsApp for a Nokia using friend, so that we can communicate without SMS. He had no idea what it was or how to install apps, lol. At most they will use some pre-installed app for FB, etc or the browser. For them it does not matter too much if its Andy or Symb or whatever thats running the show. Happy bunch them.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th May 2011 at 01:21.
Old 28th May 2011, 09:54   #3394

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
looking for a messenger which integrates gtalk, facebook for lg optimus

Try imo. Its the best I've come across.
Old 28th May 2011, 11:04   #3395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Good in the sense that current and near future Nokia customers wont be left in the lurch. I have observed that lots of people using smartphones use them like dumbphones. Some haven't even installed a app in their life. Just recently, I installed WhatsApp for a Nokia using friend, so that we can communicate without SMS. He had no idea what it was or how to install apps, lol. At most they will use some pre-installed app for FB, etc or the browser. For them it does not matter too much if its Andy or Symb or whatever thats running the show. Happy bunch them.
How many of the 'smartphone' users ever install an app or even use all of the phones features, might be a small number.

If the Nokia-Windows alliance leads to Nokia making available its Ovi Maps on the windows platform for free, that would be a welcome move.
Old 28th May 2011, 11:27   #3396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
It's available only in Grey Color at the moment. With coupon code, price comes down to 12,999 which again is excellent.
@vivek, what coupon code are you referring to here? 1k off with a coupon code is a good deal. can you please share some details on this.
Old 28th May 2011, 12:06   #3397
BHPian

I'm just waiting for the white color on the Wildfire S...i'll buy one as soon as white is available.
Old 28th May 2011, 12:15   #3398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I just got an email from Flipkart that the Wildfire S is now available at Rs 14,510. The reviews I have read so far are positive. My big question remains unanswered though - does it support email from MS outlook exchange like Nokia E72 (Symbian)
Froyo (2.2) supports MS Exchange out of the box. However, email configuration is a pain. There are alternative apps like NitroDesk Touchdown (the best as per my research and usage) and the 2nd best is Dataviz RoadSync. Both are paid apps.

Amongst the free ones, K9 Mail is preferred by many, but I didnt like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
@vivek, what coupon code are you referring to here? 1k off with a coupon code is a good deal. can you please share some details on this.
Try ICICILB or ICICILB1 or RCOMLSB1 (I forgot which one is currently active).

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 28th May 2011 at 12:18.
Old 28th May 2011, 14:37   #3399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Froyo (2.2) supports MS Exchange out of the box. However, email configuration is a pain. There are alternative apps like NitroDesk Touchdown (the best as per my research and usage) and the 2nd best is Dataviz RoadSync. Both are paid apps.

Amongst the free ones, K9 Mail is preferred by many, but I didnt like it.

Try ICICILB or ICICILB1 or RCOMLSB1 (I forgot which one is currently active).
Setting up MS Exchange on the Atrix 4G was really easy, but the constant sync'g ate up the atrix battery within no time.
Old 28th May 2011, 15:15   #3400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
That would be rcomlb1. It's working and giving a discount of 1000 rs. I just ordered a Nexus One for myself from ebay. I got it via global easy buy from ebay. Check this : link
Old 28th May 2011, 15:46   #3401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Setting up MS Exchange on the Atrix 4G was really easy, but the constant sync'g ate up the atrix battery within no time.
IS Atrix 4G available in India?
Old 28th May 2011, 18:29   #3402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
I'm just waiting for the white color on the Wildfire S...i'll buy one as soon as white is available.
This was the phone I was waiting for until I discovered Defy. I guess Gingerbread is the only improvement it has over Defy. But that is something that can be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Motorola Defy Ownership | FreeRiding lists the exact steps and links to the perfect FAQ.

What are you missing?
I'll tell you what is missing. You have described how you went about doing it. But it also resulted in phone going for a toss (whatever that means) on May 14th. What happened, why it happened, and how to prevent it. Not mentioned. The phone almost got fried on May 15th. We know what and why, but how you fixed it is not mentioned.

We want to learn from your experience, and avoid all the pitfalls. You were a pioneer (at least here) and so had to blaze the trail, literally with your Defy. But the followers like us want to avoid the mistakes and just take the right steps. How about updating the FAQ with only the right steps?
Old 28th May 2011, 20:03   #3403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
IS Atrix 4G available in India?
Not yet, got one from US. I was not happy with the Atrix 4G. Powerful no doubt, but is a real battery hog.
Old 28th May 2011, 20:22   #3404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
Can you post the battery review of the phone ? My sis has a Desire which has a horrible battery life !! The battery doesnt even stay throught the day with moderate use.
My Desire S is a month old now, pretty happy with the phone!
With my normal usage (mainly calls, few SMS, hourly sync of Exchange mails), battery lasts for 3 - 3.5 days, which is very good I guess.

Last edited by finneyp : 28th May 2011 at 20:26.
Old 28th May 2011, 20:51   #3405
BANNED

Hi all,

I am a nokia fan and till now have used 6600,6610,N73 and currently 5800 and want to try Android or windows phone.

Am not too techie so pls let me know which phone is good.my usage will be only for calling,sms browsing thru wifi and social networking.Might download apps if they are gonna be useful for me

Need a phone with good interface and battery backup

So please suggest a phone for me with the cost,my budget is around 15k

Thank you

Most Viewed