re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
IS Atrix 4G available in India?
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post

I am a nokia fan and till now have used 6600,6610,N73 and currently 5800 and want to try Android or windows phone.

Am not too techie so pls let me know which phone is good.my usage will be only for calling,sms browsing thru wifi and social networking.Might download apps if they are gonna be useful for me

Need a phone with good interface and battery backup

So please suggest a phone for me with the cost,my budget is around 15k

Thank you
Around 9k (using voucher on letsbuy), you have the LG Optimus one P500. Looks like the google nexus one is available for around 14k. The optimus one is a bestseller, and good phone to start your android experience, whereas the nexus one is a powerful mid range phone.
Old 28th May 2011, 22:48   #3407

Joshguy, check out HTC Wildfire S.
Old 29th May 2011, 00:07   #3408

Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
My Desire S is a month old now, pretty happy with the phone!
With my normal usage (mainly calls, few SMS, hourly sync of Exchange mails), battery lasts for 3 - 3.5 days, which is very good I guess.
Im thinking to get one as well, after losing/possibly getting stolen my Galaxy SL in a unfortunate turn of events :(. I know it only has a 3.2 inch screen and i have big hands/fingers, so i hope it wont be a problem for me. Oh woops, you said Desire S, i was talking about the Wildfire S.

Last edited by CaliAtenza : 29th May 2011 at 00:10.
Old 29th May 2011, 00:07   #3409

Quick question guys - I need to do a clean (re) install of Froyo on my Ace. I've understood all the steps. But I'm unable to find the original Indian firmware. Any clues?

The one that I downloaded off SamFirmware has some weirdly named files.

I don't want to use Kies as it doesn't want to work on my computer.
Old 29th May 2011, 04:55   #3410

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Are they locking the UI up???
They arent completely but putting a few artificial blocks, you can still put custom ui's but they believe with the next update it shouldn't be necessary as the android will become completely mature platform by then. In many cases though the manufacturers ruin good hardware with their crappy skins
Old 29th May 2011, 08:48   #3411

I'll tell you what is missing. You have described how you went about doing it. But it also resulted in phone going for a toss (whatever that means) on May 14th. What happened, why it happened, and how to prevent it. Not mentioned. The phone almost got fried on May 15th. We know what and why, but how you fixed it is not mentioned.

We want to learn from your experience, and avoid all the pitfalls. You were a pioneer (at least here) and so had to blaze the trail, literally with your Defy. But the followers like us want to avoid the mistakes and just take the right steps. How about updating the FAQ with only the right steps?
The post has ONLY the right steps!

The post-install error I did was twofold:
a. I reinstalled all apps+ system data. So it started trying to install some motorola music songs/apps when it kept crashing.
b. I saw the latest version of the custom recovery and installed it - hoping to reflash CM7. But I did not know that the new custom recovery is incompatible with CM7! (its mentioned on xda but I didn't google).

So I booted into recovery and it promptly hung at the boot screen for 10+ min. The startup animation was stuck & very slow.

CM7 works by installing a 2nd init which bypasses the regular froyo bootup. It makes the LED turn blue during bootup for a sec. I knew my CM7 install was tossed because the blue notification LED would not come on. Just the motorola logo, then the CM7 animation in timelapse mode!

So, What I did to recover:
a. Reflashed Froyo 3.4.3-11UK
b. Wiped data/cache.
c. Installed CM7 as mentioned in the FAQ which has almost ALL the info
d. Post install, wiped data/cache.

Worked just fine

Anything else, just call.

What I posted on my link worked exactly as I mentioned. There are NO wrong steps there, only right ones.

As for the overclocking - that's no longer an issue - the latest CM7 includes the overclocking option in the boot menu and restricts it to 1Ghz so aal should be well out of the box. I had OCed it to 1.1ghz while cycling in 43C. If one is going to be out in the sun/open, then limiting to 1ghz (as they say) or max 800 mhz (stock setting) would be idiot proof.

That's all there is to it. Rest, you gotto do it and post images/questions and I'll answer best I can.

I'm no expert - just been through the process a couple of times more than others.

Edit: Though yes, I am getting rather tempted to upgrade the latest CM7 nightly - if only they made it a beta/RC.

Quick question guys - I need to do a clean (re) install of Froyo on my Ace. I've understood all the steps. But I'm unable to find the original Indian firmware. Any clues?

The one that I downloaded off SamFirmware has some weirdly named files.

I don't want to use Kies as it doesn't want to work on my computer.
Why not go GB all the way, while you're at it, man?

Last edited by phamilyman : 29th May 2011 at 08:55.
Old 29th May 2011, 11:08   #3412

Why not go GB all the way, while you're at it, man?
The only GB ROM for ACE is a European version. And I've read major problems in it w.r.t. connecting to 3G/GPRS networks.

Plus, downgrade from GB to Froyo looks nearly impossible.

Moreover, the official GB upgrade for Ace has been announced & should be pushed by mid-June. So why bother?
Old 29th May 2011, 11:42   #3413

umm, isnt there a baseband switcher for ACE? Or a fix?

Oh darn, I forgot that you're not on a Defy

but seriously, kuch toh jugaad ho sakta hoga, ki nahin?

but then why reinstall if mid June u can install GB?
Old 29th May 2011, 12:32   #3414

umm, isnt there a baseband switcher for ACE? Or a fix?

Oh darn, I forgot that you're not on a Defy

but seriously, kuch toh jugaad ho sakta hoga, ki nahin?

but then why reinstall if mid June u can install GB?
Koi jugad nahi hai mere bhai! Users at SamFirmware forum have been cribbing their a$$ off after updating to GB.

The reasons why I want to re-install Froyo:
1. After rooting and installing Titanium, I got a bit over zealous in deleting/uninstalling stock apps. So I'm stuck with 'com.android.acore' and another weird FC error. No amount of restoration helps.

2. My Froyo is Mar '11 version. Though there is a Froyo upgrade offered offically (as of Apr '11), I'm unable to do so since my PC and Kies are at loggerheads with each other.

3. I'm irritated by the constant 'internal memory full' notifications. SO I thought a clean re-install will be a good way. In any case, Android makes firmware upgrades/re-installs very easy. Contacts are synced over the cloud in Gmail and apps are stored as a history in Market Account.

The only grouse is that I'll lose my progress in Angry Birds.
Old 29th May 2011, 14:09   #3415

Is there any android phone which can show the Indian scripts correctly? I can't believe this is missing in android, while in my 5 year old Nokia 6230i I could type in Kannada script.
Old 29th May 2011, 14:18   #3416

Originally Posted by SilentEngine
Is there any android phone which can show the Indian scripts correctly? I can't believe this is missing in android, while in my 5 year old Nokia 6230i I could type in Kannada script.
My htc desire cannot show indian fonts. But I have installed an app called newshunt which can show indian fonts. Android has to have support for this. iPhone has.
Old 29th May 2011, 14:40   #3417

Originally Posted by clevermax

My htc desire cannot show indian fonts. But I have installed an app called newshunt which can show indian fonts. Android has to have support for this. iPhone has.
Exactly, I think it supports some European and Japanese/Chinese languages but overall support for different locales is missing. In my incredible s, the locale is fixed to English(India). It doesn't even show other options.

Just downloaded the newshunt app. it shows them as images, that's how we can see different fonts. Pretty similar to what opera mini does.

Came across this following thread in android bug tracking. But no visible effort from Google so far.
Issue 1618 - android - Feature request: support Hindi characters in the droid fonts - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

I have many contacts in Facebook, who post content in non English scripts. So right now I have no option to read them on my phone

Last edited by SilentEngine : 29th May 2011 at 14:43.
Old 29th May 2011, 15:06   #3418

3. I'm irritated by the constant 'internal memory full' notifications. SO I thought a clean re-install will be a good way. In any case, Android makes firmware upgrades/re-installs very easy. Contacts are synced over the cloud in Gmail and apps are stored as a history in Market Account.

The only grouse is that I'll lose my progress in Angry Birds.
You can take the data of the titanium backup and restore it.

I didnt lose anything between eclair OEM, froyo leak that i installed, and the GB i am now using
Old 29th May 2011, 16:09   #3419

You can take the data of the titanium backup and restore it.

I didnt lose anything between eclair OEM, froyo leak that i installed, and the GB i am now using
Well, I didn't bother to restore from a backup. I just wanted a clean re-install as I wasn't able to figure out which app was causing the issue. So I wiped the phone and began from scratch. Now I'm just re-installing the bare bone apps (Handcent SMS, Go Launcher, FB, My Phone Explorer, Samsung Email and Touchdown). The best part (unlike Nokia/BlackBerry) in Android is that you needn't worry about your contacts (the major pain point for most people) as they are all sync'ed to your Gmail account.

Spent the entire 1st half today doing it. Surprisingly, the process is pretty simple, if you download the right files / tools. I used ODIN and DDKC1 (stock Indian version of Froyo for Ace). PM me if anyone needs instructions.

Lot of my time was *wasted* in contemplating whether I should install Ace Villain Custom ROM (based on GB 2.3.3) or European GB firmware for ACE. But in the end, I decided to stick to Indian Froyo firmware and wait for the *official* GB upgrade from Samsung.
Old 29th May 2011, 17:06   #3420

^
backing up and then restoring angry birds progress has been known to create problems...