New Malware from Developers of DroidDream Light

The Official Lookout Blog
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:39   #3572
Team-BHP Support

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
GREAT..!!!

Now, why don't you write a SUPER DETAILED list of instructions. Including each link of which file to get from where and the exact steps & dependent software/apps needed.
First, move to Froyo. Take one step at a time, instructions here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post2373959
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:53   #3573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
First, move to Froyo. Take one step at a time, instructions here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post2373959
What next after this? This has already been done the day this came out.
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:03   #3574
BHPian

Hi there has been a official GB update for the Samsung GalaxyS, however the GB update is still not out for Samsung Galaxy SL. Any one knows by when that would be available? Also does one need to take a backup for the GB update?
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:17   #3575
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
What next after this? This has already been done the day this came out.
Phamilyman's blog has many additional steps, which I didn't follow.

This is how I did it.

1) Root your Defy Special version SuperOneClick:root froyo/2.51 easily! - xda-developers
2) Install Titanium Backup from the market and take a full backup.
3) Install CM7: [FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx - xda-developers

You can skip the instructions for installing Froyo and rooting, since you have done it already.

Notes:You can get 2ndinit recovery installer from the market itself. Get ver 1.8 which is latest as of now. After install, don't forget to run it, select bootmenu 0.6.1 to be safe.
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:20   #3576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Strange thing I noticed yesterday (ref - Screenshot).

Previously whenever I dialled a number, it would show as continuous string (e.g. 99xxxxxx38). However, after upgrading to DDKC 2.2.1, it is showing as 99x-xxx-xx38 (like the iPhone / US version). Why so?
Attachment 554437
So its showing it like it would show U.S numbers (since they use the same numbering plan for mobile and landline), something americanized?
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:22   #3577
e46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Android gurus:
With a budget of max 22k, which one would you suggest? I am not much interested in the SGS, since the get up of the device matters to me and i dislike its plastic feeling. So, now you know, i am kinda liking the Desire S.

Your thoughts please
anyone plz. Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:47   #3578
BHPian

Quote:
anyone plz. Thanks in advance.
The galaxy s will out perform the Desire s & the Desire HD.
If build quality is more important to you than performance then go for the HTC.

personally, i think that the Galaxy S build quality is better.
It's lighter and the fact that they've used plastics will mean that the chassis can absorb more of an impact than the heavier metal casing of the HTC.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:55   #3579
Senior - BHPian

^
With Galaxy SII now out, there is no sense in going for either Galaxy S or Desire HD or Nexus S...
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:17   #3580
BHPian

@dkaile: SII is 50% more costlier than Galaxy S (34k vs 22k). e46's budget is 22k max.

@e46: Galaxy S is what I would vote for over HTC Desire. Plastic does not mean flimsy. The phone has a good feel to it. The S AMOLED screen on the Galaxy S is pretty good and makes for a far more enjoyable multimedia experience. On the capabilities fron too it does not lack anything.
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:21   #3581
e46
BHPian

Is SGS shipping with 2.2 or 2.3 now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
If build quality is more important to you than performance then go for the HTC.
personally, i think that the Galaxy S build quality is better.
It's lighter and the fact that they've used plastics will mean that the chassis can absorb more of an impact than the heavier metal casing of the HTC.
Thanks Sprucegoose. Indeed in terms of performance, it will base its teeth and fangs in front of HTCs.
Quick question: is GS getting shipped with 2.2 or 2.3 now? Also, i hope it has Cornings Gorilla glass display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
With Galaxy SII now out, there is no sense in going for either Galaxy S or Desire HD or Nexus S...
Brother, this would be my first device. so, there is sense, to go for a device which might not be so damn expensive or outright performance leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
@e46: Galaxy S is what I would vote for over HTC Desire. Plastic does not mean flimsy. The phone has a good feel to it. The S AMOLED screen on the Galaxy S is pretty good and makes for a far more enjoyable multimedia experience. On the capabilities fron too it does not lack anything.
Thanks for the advice Cesc. Could you tell me if the INdian make is getting shipped with S-AMOLED or SLCD? Also, is there any issue with GPS reception with I9000? GPS scores high in my list, so do let me know. saw some negative feedbacks in flipkart feedback/comments

Thanks,
Abhishek

Last edited by e46 : 3rd June 2011 at 15:50. Reason: addition
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:34   #3582
Senior - BHPian

@e46 @cesc - As it is your first device and you also dont want to go for the top end, I would recommend you save some moolah and go for Samsung galaxy pro which is is perhaps the best entry level phone with 800 mhz cpu, 512 mb ram and rom & qwerty for 10 k;

another choice as posted by me a few posts back would be to buy Dell XCD 35 at a net price of Rs. 9,494 from letsbuy Buy Dell XCD35 Mobile at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews (You have to use the new discount code icicilb which gives a max discount of Rs. 1,200 compared to Rs. 1,000 of rcomlb1) Dell XCD 35 is a much better phone from those fit's & 551's of samsung in all aspects... And now with Android 2.2 Froyo Spec Link Dell XCD35 | Dell India 3.5 Screen, 800x480 Resolution, Flash: 512M, RAM 256M

Once you have played with android a little and got yourself familarised, I would then suggest you to go the topend at that point of time.
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:07   #3583
BHPian

Re: Is SGS shipping with 2.2 or 2.3 now?

Quote:
Thanks Sprucegoose. Indeed in terms of performance, it will base its teeth and fangs in front of HTCs.
Quick question: is GS getting shipped with 2.2 or 2.3 now? Also, i hope it has Cornings Gorilla glass display.

Brother, this would be my first device. so, there is sense, to go for a device which might not be so damn expensive or outright performance leader.

Thanks for the advice Cesc. Could you tell me if the INdian make is getting shipped with S-AMOLED or SLCD? Also, is there any issue with GPS reception with I9000? GPS scores high in my list, so do let me know. saw some negative feedbacks in flipkart feedback/comments

Thanks,
Abhishek
1> I think the GS comes with 2.2 stock, not sure about the 2.3 upgrade for it. GS2 comes with 2.3 Stock.

2> Better to buy a cheap phone first. because if you don't like the experience then you're not down by too much. I know people who prefer android over everything else, similarly i know people who prefer Windows & others who prefer iOS. If you're sure you're going to like Android over the others then i don't think investing in a GS2 will be a bad idea, though you can wait for a bit & the prices will drop.

3> The GS comes with a Super AMOLED display.
The GSL comes with a SLCD Screen.
The GS2 Comes with a Super AMOLED Plus Display.

HTC phones come with LCD & SLCD screens

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 3rd June 2011 at 16:11.
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:16   #3584
e46
BHPian

SGS: GPS issue? comparison with I9003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post

2> Better to buy a cheap phone first. because if you don't like the experience then you're not down by too much. I know people who prefer android over everything else, similarly i know people who prefer Windows & others who prefer iOS. If you're sure you're going to like Android over the others then i don't think investing in a GS2 will be a bad idea, though you can wait for a bit & the prices will drop.
Thanks spruce for those lines. now if could also tell me:

1> Is there any GPS issue affecting SGS? saw some negative feedback in a popular online reseller page
2> how does the SG SL I9003 stack up against the SGS? Is there any perceivable difference due to the lack of GPU? I can live with the SLCD screen. The 5 k difference looks enticing. hence this query!

ABhishek
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:27   #3585
Team-BHP Support

Few years back I had bought Nokia N73 for 25K, when I tried to sell it 4 months later, the same seller offered 9K for it. That day I decided not to buy any phone above 15K. In fact I used a 8K phone for a while.

But the smartphone bug bit me and I got myself a HTC Touch. But eventually found it very basic, so I broke my resolution and got myself a HTC Touch Diamond 2 for 32K. Last April, I lost that phone to a pickpocket at a resturant. That was a 32K phone that just vanished into thin air. The insurance of the phone was good enough to get me a HTC Touch2.

Both N73 and TD2 cost me more than my annual salary I used to make in the first two years of my career. It really made me wonder why we are throwing away so much money on an item that can be easily lost or destroyed or depreciates superfast. I agree these smartphones are much more than mere phones, but it is a high risk investment, which is driven more by our want than our need.

After the loss of TD2, I switched into my office provided iPhone 3GS. It was nice, but I couldn't imagine purchasing one by paying 35K. Not after the past lessons.

But, there is a fresh breeze in the mobile world. In last few months, there have been smartphones available at sub-15K or even sub-10k in some cases. And excellent phones with every gizmo available for less than 20K. This revolution was mostly brought in by Android. The Motorola Defy which some have bought for 16K is exactly half of what I paid for TD2 just 18 months back. And Defy blows away TD2 in both features and performance.

What I wished for few years back has now come true. It is possible to buy a no-compromise phone for around 15K. The new HTC Wildfire S is just 13k in some stores.

Yet, I see some of you looking at Android phones at 20K-35K range. Just stop and think. Is that your want or need? Do you really need to plonk down more than 20K for an Android phone when 80-90% of your requirements are satisfied by a 15K Android phone.

I know many are rushing to Apple stores to buy the 34K-40K iPhone 4. Unfortunately, unlike us, they have no choice. Their need is to own an iPhone and there is nothing cheaper than 34K.

But the Android phone customers have a choice. You can get a great phone for less than 15K too. Therefore, think again before you spend your hard earned money on 20k+ Andorid phones.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed