Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 16:33   #3736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Guys - I may have asked this multiple times, and have trolled the WWW but still waiting for a concrete answer.

Can I downgrade to Froyo from Gingerbread / any other custom ROM (based on GB)?

AFAIK, in Nokia and Blackberry, it's VERY difficult (nearly impossible) to move down a version.

I dont want to end up bricking my phone, but still am curious enough to try out custom ROMs.
You are googling the wrong forum:
[ROM] MIUI 2.3.4 for Galaxy S - v1.6.3 [MCGv5.2 - Based On Official - IRC] - xda-developers
says that galaxy S' custom ROm will work only if you downgrade to froyo. Open the google doc link and see if it makes sense for u.

there are many such other links on XDA. But u'll need to find the right one for ACE.

Why not ask in the XDA custom ROM thread only, no?
Old 7th June 2011, 17:52   #3737
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Awright Ladies and Germs..

I Got it... I Got it.... I GOT IT !!

My S2 just got delivered... Unpacked to ensure everything in intact in the package... Got the Phone (Sealed box), Its Bill, the Free Bluetooth Headset (HM1000), the MoLife Fit-to-use Case, MoLife Screen Guard. Only the HDMI cable is left out. Should be here very soon

Charging the phone for the first time. Will start playing once I reach home from work in the evening, and get back with my impressions...

First thought, My God is Huge and Gorgeous and Sleek and Light..... Compared to my current Nokia N86 8MP..

Edit: The Sealed Box is not a slim-trim box that I have seen in the unboxing videos. Its a Fairly large box with all contents nicely spaced out. Will upload some pics tonight.
Congratulations bro !! S2 is hyped to be one of the best smartphones out there. Please do share your feedback. I am also contemplating to go for S2. I am keen to know whether S2 suffers from "GPS locking issue" that exists across all Galaxy Series phones.
Old 7th June 2011, 18:22   #3738
e46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
This device has hooked me. I have been reading about this, and except 2.3, its seriously lacking in nothing, for the price band its being offered! That too, it has HDMI out!!

A few queries to users( existing owner of this may plz post their views)

1> 2.2 is vanilla Google OS. no sense/ touchwiz wizardry i think?
2> how is the WVGA display? Is it having a Million colors/ 256K?
3> I hope they wont bundle it with a spice SIM card pre-loaded. I dont want that

thanks,
Abhishek M
Anyone please respond to my query. Would be appreciated.
Old 7th June 2011, 20:32   #3739

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
This device has hooked me. I have been reading about this, and except 2.3, its seriously lacking in nothing, for the price band its being offered! That too, it has HDMI out!!

A few queries to users( existing owner of this may plz post their views)

1> 2.2 is vanilla Google OS. no sense/ touchwiz wizardry i think?
2> how is the WVGA display? Is it having a Million colors/ 256K?
3> I hope they wont bundle it with a spice SIM card pre-loaded. I dont want that

thanks,
Abhishek M
1. Mostly vanilla google. Huawei does not make much customization.
2. It is 262,144 Colors. And i hope you are not under the notion that practical visual quality between 262K & 16 Million is the difference between the figures. Depends on the LCD quality.
3. It's an open market handset. You can use it with SIM card of any operator.

Watch the review (In Thailand it is sold as Wellcom A99. Review in Thai With English Quotes)

Last edited by rajanmehta : 7th June 2011 at 20:58. Reason: Added missing words "under the" in the sentence
Old 7th June 2011, 20:33   #3740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu

Congratulations bro !! S2 is hyped to be one of the best smartphones out there. Please do share your feedback. I am also contemplating to go for S2. I am keen to know whether S2 suffers from "GPS locking issue" that exists across all Galaxy Series phones.
Dude your usage of the word hyped tends to convey the feeling that the GS2 isn't as good a it's made, out to be.

I have one and it's insane.
waiting for the custom ROMs to start rolling out.

Apparently samsung sent a piece over to one of the CyanogenMOD devs so they can start work on it soon.

PS: the I tend to be slightly blunt when communicating on my phone.
The intention is not to be rude, but an effect of my excitement at having the phone. :-)
Old 7th June 2011, 21:01   #3741
BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Keeping the Home button pressed for longer just opens a shortcut to the recently used apps,not necessarily the open apps.
Even if you close the apps after using it, keeping the Home button pressed will the show that particular app based on how recently it was used. It shows 8 apps on the list.
My understanding is that it throws up the open apps. As per the working of Android OS, just closing an app does not necessarily shut down the app. Hence the multi-tasking capability of Android, unlike iOS where closing the app actually shuts down the app. The Android OS would typically shut down an app after sometime if it is not used. Hence the often repeated debate that using task managers on Android is not necessarily required.

Anyway, I will probably google it as I might be wrong. And who cares, I love Android

Cheers
Old 7th June 2011, 21:13   #3742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You are googling the wrong forum:
[ROM] MIUI 2.3.4 for Galaxy S - v1.6.3 [MCGv5.2 - Based On Official - IRC] - xda-developers
says that galaxy S' custom ROm will work only if you downgrade to froyo. Open the google doc link and see if it makes sense for u.

there are many such other links on XDA. But u'll need to find the right one for ACE.

Why not ask in the XDA custom ROM thread only, no?
You've sent me to Galaxy S Page!

Dada - I'm coming directly from Ace XDA page. That's exactly what stopped me from upgrading to GB. So do users on SamFirmware forums. There is almost a 99% complaint rate of people being unhappy with GB and not being able to roll back to Froyo.

I have asked the question on Ace Vanilla ROM forum as well. Still awaiting the replies.

My hunch is that users who have posted their inability to downgrade, are infact incapable to do so.

No offense, but I personally feel it shouldn't be a task drastically different from formatting your PC hard disk and installing any other OS.

I say this because on my netbook I've used 5 different Linux OS's and 2 different Windows. So how different is an Android phone vis-a-vis a PC?
Old 7th June 2011, 21:15   #3743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
My understanding is that it throws up the open apps. As per the working of Android OS, just closing an app does not necessarily shut down the app.
^^^

No, it shows the last 6 apps you've used - even if they are closed. I just confirmed the same on a Galaxy 3 running A 2.1
Old 7th June 2011, 21:45   #3744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
^^^

No, it shows the last 6 apps you've used - even if they are closed. I just confirmed the same on a Galaxy 3 running A 2.1
yeah your right.it shows the last apps youve used not the ones currently running.for that you need task manager
Old 7th June 2011, 21:59   #3745
BHPian

Any reviews on the new Acer series?

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 7th June 2011 at 22:02.
Old 7th June 2011, 22:20   #3746
Distinguished - BHPian

I am getting my phone tomorrow. Price still not sure but it will be around 30k. Will update with the details tomorrow.

Oh if you wondering which phone? Well the Samsung Galaxy S2 ofcourse!!
Old 7th June 2011, 22:54   #3747
BHPian

My CM7 RC 0 shows running apps as well as the ones which are cached (minimised). I feel the ones running take up ram. Bottom line, task managers are useless.
Old 7th June 2011, 23:29   #3748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am keen to know whether S2 suffers from "GPS locking issue"
GPS locking . The samsung galaxy S2 will do whatever you ask it to do. The GPS is one of the finest in the phones and the map loads with your position locked in, in exactly 4-6 seconds in a crappy GPRS connection.

The old galaxy S2 used to show reno as my location inside my house. THe new one shows i am inside my house

Feature to be spoken about -
The Voice functions and driving mode in this phone is the first i am using. Can say you can type messages ooops, instruct messages while the phone types, or call your friends, by actually calling out their name and what not. Fantastic fun. Is it useful while driving? Yes it is. It is fun as well as useful. All starts with the words "Hey Galaxy".

Feature no 2 which is again new to me and impressive to me:- Lack of need for a data cable to connect to computers. Ski Air just creates a link and allows us to type the link in the Browser page where we can access the phone like a web page and access its contents. More details on this later.

Brightness adjustments:- Just long press the status bar on the top and slide left or right. Tacky and cool feature just to show off.

The phone is total show off and does things at speed never seen before.

Social hub can have multiple gmail accounts, twitter, facebook and what not. And all feeds or messages can be tracked at single touch.

The live wallpaper with weather update is pretty cool. Weather widgets are very accurate.

Samsung Key Board is far better than the swype but Swype makes it far easier. I said better because of the key placement and size.

More to follow.....
Old 8th June 2011, 00:24   #3749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010

GPS locking . The samsung galaxy S2 will do whatever you ask it to do. The GPS is one of the finest in the phones and the map loads with your position locked in, in exactly 4-6 seconds in a crappy GPRS connection.

The old galaxy S2 used to show reno as my location inside my house. THe new one shows i am inside my house

Feature to be spoken about -
The Voice functions and driving mode in this phone is the first i am using. Can say you can type messages ooops, instruct messages while the phone types, or call your friends, by actually calling out their name and what not. Fantastic fun. Is it useful while driving? Yes it is. It is fun as well as useful. All starts with the words "Hey Galaxy".

Feature no 2 which is again new to me and impressive to me:- Lack of need for a data cable to connect to computers. Ski Air just creates a link and allows us to type the link in the Browser page where we can access the phone like a web page and access its contents. More details on this later.

Brightness adjustments:- Just long press the status bar on the top and slide left or right. Tacky and cool feature just to show off.

The phone is total show off and does things at speed never seen before.

Social hub can have multiple gmail accounts, twitter, facebook and what not. And all feeds or messages can be tracked at single touch.

The live wallpaper with weather update is pretty cool. Weather widgets are very accurate.

Samsung Key Board is far better than the swype but Swype makes it far easier. I said better because of the key placement and size.

More to follow.....
Wow I am glad you are enjoying your phone. Even I was overwhelmed by the features provided by Android,I was an iOS fan/user earlier. However I still feel that some of the devices in the android space are overpriced just because of minor hardware superiority. I use a modest defy which costs half the price of a Samsung galaxy S2 and am able to enjoy all of the above
Old 8th June 2011, 11:34   #3750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
You've sent me to Galaxy S Page!

Dada - I'm coming directly from Ace XDA page. That's exactly what stopped me from upgrading to GB. So do users on SamFirmware forums. There is almost a 99% complaint rate of people being unhappy with GB and not being able to roll back to Froyo.

I have asked the question on Ace Vanilla ROM forum as well. Still awaiting the replies.

My hunch is that users who have posted their inability to downgrade, are infact incapable to do so.

No offense, but I personally feel it shouldn't be a task drastically different from formatting your PC hard disk and installing any other OS.

I say this because on my netbook I've used 5 different Linux OS's and 2 different Windows. So how different is an Android phone vis-a-vis a PC?
No. There is some complexity. Google fails me - but even on android, junta who flash a FULL SBF (versus a fixed SBF) cannot go back to eclair. Heck, even OTA Froyo updates cannot be rolled back in some other android phones.

So there is some funda (a motorola SBF has about 10-12 data packets) - a fixed SBF updates only the required ones - leaving others untouched for a possible downgrade. More google I say

PS: I opened XDA - Ctrl-F couldn't find "Ace" on the page. kis naam se hai?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks