Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 08:06   #4051
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Check out theft aware. Amazing reviews and its the equivalent of writing in ROM. What say?
Now the theft aware has a 70% discount. 3 pounds for this software which does what it is suppose to do.

Sends a map(link) of the phones location when someone changes the Sim.

And we can have two numbers to receive this message.
Old 18th June 2011, 09:09   #4052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Now the theft aware has a 70% discount. 3 pounds for this software which does what it is suppose to do.

Sends a map(link) of the phones location when someone changes the Sim.

And we can have two numbers to receive this message.
thanks a ton. (almost) Bought it.

Defy has a locked bootloader but not a NAND protection.

Can I install it directly or with update.zip? I am afraid of bricking my phone.
Old 18th June 2011, 09:53   #4053
Senior - BHPian

I just got a Moto T325 BT Speakerphone for hands-free calls while driving car.

I paired it up with Captivate(Galaxy S) running 2.2 rooted.

Within 30 seconds, the connection disconnects by vibrating phone. Bluetooth still remains on.

What could be the reason?

I have put answering mode to 5 seconds. apart from that no change to settings.

after it disconnects within 30 seconds, when i try to connect it again, it won't. what could be wrong? i don't have any antivirus installed.

Not a problem with the speakerphone kit as i managed to connect iphone 4 and sony w580i without any issue.

Please advice. thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 10:59   #4054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Setup an outlook connection via the "Email" application. Inside that you can choose what to sync - Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Tasks etc. Why do it over USB? More hard work, na?
Well, the exchange server is not accessible outside of the company and outside of windows authentication. My laptop though can access the server from anywhere since it authenticates with windows credentials. There is no IMAP or POP. From any other device, web based exchange connection is possible but its purely a web application.
Usually what I did was to connect the phones (using bluetooth) to sync my calendar and contacts with outlook.
This doesn't seem to be possible with Android. One alternative was to sync outlook with google calendar and then sync that with the phone. I dont want my calendar to be stored on google.

Last edited by srishiva : 18th June 2011 at 11:01.
Old 18th June 2011, 12:27   #4055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva

Well, the exchange server is not accessible outside of the company and outside of windows authentication. My laptop though can access the server from anywhere since it authenticates with windows credentials. There is no IMAP or POP. From any other device, web based exchange connection is possible but its purely a web application.
Usually what I did was to connect the phones (using bluetooth) to sync my calendar and contacts with outlook.
This doesn't seem to be possible with Android. One alternative was to sync outlook with google calendar and then sync that with the phone. I dont want my calendar to be stored on google.
Normally if the web access. (Owa) is allowed then the phone should connect unless its explicitly denied . Syncing with Google calendar is good. Make a separate id for that if u will
Old 18th June 2011, 16:35   #4056
Senior - BHPian

Finally!

Wait starts for the delivery of my first Android! Placed an order for the HTC Sensation on Letsbuy @29299.
Old 18th June 2011, 17:45   #4057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Finally!

Wait starts for the delivery of my first Android! Placed an order for the HTC Sensation on Letsbuy @29299.
Congrats man. let us know how long it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
You guys are right and I am still keeping my fingers crossed. If I get it back I'd share my joy with you else I'll try and work on some mechanism to prevent such things.
You need to invest in theft aware.

I just tried reflashing my ROM (CM7, not froyo), wiped cache/dalvik (not data). inserted new SIM and immediately SMSes popped up saying cost of SMS etc. My wife's SIM just got the SMS as well.

So overall looks like a nice purchase - I have no idea of whether it will last a complete reflash via ODIN or suchlike. But me likes what i see so far!

Best 200 bucks i've spent lately.

/ ofc, pucca protection needs a rooted phone etc
Old 18th June 2011, 21:38   #4058
Senior - BHPian

Heres a geeky question for the knowledgable guys here.

How to maintain the battery for max performance! This entails several Qs:
1. First use. Read somewhere need to charge it for 8 hrs min before first use.
2. Again read somewhere that Li-ion batteries should not be run down (fully discharged). But then Apple suggests to go thru at least one charge cycle per month! (it is on Apple site : Apple - Batteries - iPhone) => Confusion who is right!!!
3. Overnight charging. Although I do that with my present HTC Touch Diamond, is it a good practice?

Again, thanks in advance.
Old 18th June 2011, 21:47   #4059
Senior - BHPian

How can I install additional fonts in my android phone?
Old 18th June 2011, 21:54   #4060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg

where is this option to check whats consuming you battery. is it built in in 2.2 froyo or you installed some custom widget?
I don't think such detailed battery usage statistics is there in froyo. This battery usage curve and other details such as awake time, signal and display on time is either gingerbread or cm7 feature. Have not seen such detailed information in my earlier htc rom that was froyo.
Old 18th June 2011, 21:59   #4061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

I don't think such detailed battery usage statistics is there in froyo. This battery usage curve and other details such as awake time, signal and display on time is either gingerbread or cm7 feature. Have not seen such detailed information in my earlier htc rom that was froyo.
Try the app 3G Data Pro
Old 18th June 2011, 23:09   #4062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How to maintain the battery for max performance! This entails several Qs:
Just keep charging it everytime it goes down. I have USB charger, room charger and car charger in my bag and have never bothered about battery life.

Worst case i may have to change my battery few months before others who take meticulous steps to prolong life.

At that time a new phone may have 20MP camera with i7 processor and my current phone will look obsolete.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 06:49   #4063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

The statistics page that was uploaded by phamilyman is available in froyo.
Old 19th June 2011, 10:03   #4064
Senior - BHPian

Heads up for the Defy people. MIUI is a REALLY beautiful ROM for the Defy. Battery may not be as good because its a very white oriented ROM (remember google's black landing page) but by GOD it is beautiful

If it is even 90% as stable as the CM7 nightly I had - its worth keeping!

In other news, finally gave in and got myself Titanium Backup-Pro. Very nice at the price of a outdoor meal!
Old 19th June 2011, 12:45   #4065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
Heads up for the Defy people. MIUI is a REALLY beautiful ROM for the Defy. Battery may not be as good because its a very white oriented ROM (remember google's black landing page) but by GOD it is beautiful

If it is even 90% as stable as the CM7 nightly I had - its worth keeping!

In other news, finally gave in and got myself Titanium Backup-Pro. Very nice at the price of a outdoor meal!
Sirji is it as simple to setup as RC0 over CM 7. Push in the zip,reboot,clear all cache and install,or does it require wiping the data as well. Also,how do we revert back to RC0. Does the aGps work. Thanks in advance. Any screenshot of your stunning phone will help.

Last edited by OHCVtec : 19th June 2011 at 12:53.

Most Viewed