Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 06:23   #4111
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Could you give us some examples on how different it is from SGS ? Im curious as they have just changed the screen and all other HW is still the same as SGS. So any update for SGS will also be the same for SGSL too. Aint it ?

BTW, i own a SGS..
No. It is completely different from SGS. SGS Roms will not work on SGSL. Screen, Processor,Chipset,GPU have been changed and no wolfson DAC.
Samsung along with the web media, cheated us by concealing the fact that it this phone is only a replica of SGS and has nothing common with SGS, and that it would require a completely different ROM. See still people think that update for SGS will also be the same for SGSL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Nope

The chipset/GPU/Processor/screen are all different

Apart from the exterior the SL is a completely different phone

And since it was released only for asian 3rd world countries DEV support is almost zero.with NO custom roms so far
I would disagree with the 3rd world countries comment as SGSL is available in UK. But lack of custom roms is a big downer. Even cheapter phones like FIT,ACE,POP, 5 series and 3 series have custom roms. None for SGSL.

Last edited by F150 : 21st June 2011 at 06:26.
Old 21st June 2011, 06:55   #4112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
No.. Don't go for it. Resistive Touchscreen.
What's the downside? What is the other type of touchscreen?
Quote:
Nope

The chipset/GPU/Processor/screen are all different

Apart from the exterior the SL is a completely different phone

And since it was released only for asian 3rd world countries DEV support is almost zero.with NO custom roms so far
Well, even Samsung Galaxy Ace has limited dev support and custom ROMs. SO far, I was able to source just 1 custom ROM (Villain). I've broken my head writing to CM dev, MIUI and Darky. Sometimes I wonder what makes a phone attractive to the dev community vis-a-vis another?
Old 21st June 2011, 07:40   #4113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Yeah man.

Android 2.2 Froyo, GPS, 512MB RAM, WiFi, HDMI, 3G, 10.2" Display, Built-In Android Market, 32GB Expandable Memory Slot, 1GHz CPU.

10k. With an Ebay discount coupon, it maybe around 9-9.5k. sounds like a deal! And the Leather Case cum Keyboard makes it even more tempting.

I know its a Chinese thing, but quite a deal I must say.

Can one install custom ROMs / GB / ROM upgrades effortlessly? I guess shouldnt be a problem?
NO MAN- STOP! Dekh its simple. You must buy these things after you've tried it. We've had one such thread on the A-pads on TBHP and google reveals many users who got lesser than what they bargained for. its actually a 800mhz, less RAM etc etc. Not to mention, no resale. Which is why I like stuff like the Ideos X6/Spice MI410. Chinese but known & very decent quality.

resistive = no multi touch. i.e hopeless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Guys, I'm looking for a fairly decent spec'd android phone in the 10-15k price range. This will be my first android phone (or smart phone for that matter) and I plan to use the phone for atleast 2-3 yrs. So please chip in with your suggestions.

My requirements
1. Would want the phone to have a decent spec as it has to cater my needs and cope with the technological advancements (atleast to some extent) for the next 2 yrs atleast.
2. As of today I dont use internet on phone but i am hoping the pattern will change. So would like the phone to have a good battery backup and browsing support.
3. Would like the phone to have sturdy build.
4. Decent service backup

So far HTC Wildfire S and Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 have made it to the shortlist. Does anybody on the forum own any of these phones or have reasonable experience using them phones ?

Also, does anybody have experience purchasing phones on credit cards with 3, 6, 9 months emi's with 0% interest ?
At that price, only defy. Best screen, good size ROM, super sturdy, uber moddable - lots of ROMs available. any android if well used, battery = 15-16 hours max.
for pure upgradability, S2 - dual core is the future. but that's not your budget.

or the desire. very good phone now at a better price.

desire Z for 16k. super ideal - gives you a keyboard since u like to text. trust me - we all miss one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktarcar View Post
I was contemplating on buying me a sony ericsson walkman w8.
Its for 11k in the authorised dealer in my city.

I have always been a fan of sony ericsson.
currently i use a sony ericsson w660i.

I am a final year engg student who loves to browse the net.

My requirements are,
1.it should have a stable OS which should make sure i enjoy the phone to my best without any visits to the service centre for at least a year.
2.as i use net a lot on my cell with opera mini , i would really want to know how android 2.1 fares in browsing.

3. I sms chat above an average user
4. I have stretched my budget to reach till this phone.I wish to be content with the phone for some time atleast.
5.as i connect my phone to car HU via aux i would like a clear sound output.
At present my heart jumps for this phone but I want to know from more experienced team members , will buying this phone be really worthwhile?
see above. its got decent sound, but am not an audiophile. best for u to check it out in person.

sony's phones dont really have as many custom ROMs as others do. check CM7 website for the custom ROM status. best for custom ROMs is HTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Could you give us some examples on how different it is from SGS ? Im curious as they have just changed the screen and all other HW is still the same as SGS. So any update for SGS will also be the same for SGSL too. Aint it ?

BTW, i own a SGS..
Oh, its totally different, and only now is a custom ROM coming out- I remember a thread on XDA where some dev was releasing CM7 ROM only as a beta for limited testing.

@those who say its a 3rd world handset and hence it got no dev support - no way. MIUI is a top notch custom ROM. And guess what, made in china!!

Really slick, and the first one which gives me >1 day battery life with my heavy usage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
It's not about being old fashioned brother, its about being comfortable.. I am much more comfortable with a tactile keyboard, but was desperate to get rid of my Motorola Milestone so I sacrificed a QWERTY keyboard for a super Amoled screen and all the goodies that come with the SGS2.

Hypothetically 6 - 8 months down the line when a good non motorola Dual Core phone with 1 GB of RAM is available with atleast a 4 inch screen and a QWERTY keyboard, i probably will switch. It has to have an unlocked bootloader though.
Yes yes - absolutely. Completely makes sense. I bought the defy for the VFM, the sturdiness and that the XDA boys had gotten CM7 to work perfectly. I did not buy it for the Motorola software
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 09:32   #4114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
This is the "Power Saver" feature that is on HTC. Try disabling this and it should just work fine.
No it doesn't help. It seems to be a issue with Wildfire S, check the link. So be aware that the issue exists!
Old 21st June 2011, 10:13   #4115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
No it doesn't help. It seems to be a issue with Wildfire S, check the link. So be aware that the issue exists!
Guess the new ones are fixed with patches. I bought the Wildfire S on Saturday and since then, i am doing the power cycle (using the cell phone without charging unless charge drops below 15% and recharge untill 100% without disturbing) and have not faced the issue except once. This once was due to the Power Save profile getting activated when battery charge goes below 15%. I disabled this option and since then never faced the issue.

And the brightness on my Cellphone is always the minimal unless I am using it in sunlight.

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 21st June 2011 at 10:14.
Old 21st June 2011, 10:44   #4116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Guess the new ones are fixed with patches. I bought the Wildfire S on Saturday and since then, i am doing the power cycle (using the cell phone without charging unless charge drops below 15% and recharge untill 100% without disturbing) and have not faced the issue except once. This once was due to the Power Save profile getting activated when battery charge goes below 15%. I disabled this option and since then never faced the issue.

And the brightness on my Cellphone is always the minimal unless I am using it in sunlight.
Wife's phone is just weeks old. Don't think its with any patch! Can you tell me which version of kernel you have?

What is the brightness level set? Do following and let me know if you don't have any issue.

1) set brightness to least (use Power Control widget)
2) Press power button at the top. This should send your phone to stand by mode (screen goes blank as expected).
3) press power button again, this should wake up your screen with slide lock displayed.

In our case the screen doesn't comes up at all! It still the blank screen, however if you slide ad increase the brightness level you will see the screen again!
Old 21st June 2011, 11:09   #4117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
You can consider HTC Desire. It is available online at a very tempting price of Rs 15,000. It's still selling at 22K at other places. HTC Desire A8181 | HTC Mobile Phones | Saholic.com
It's one of the much loved HTC Phone & Great Specs at this price. Plus HTC has now announced that Gingerbread is coming for it finally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
At that price, only defy. Best screen, good size ROM, super sturdy, uber moddable - lots of ROMs available. any android if well used, battery = 15-16 hours max.
for pure upgradability, S2 - dual core is the future. but that's not your budget.

or the desire. very good phone now at a better price.

desire Z for 16k. super ideal - gives you a keyboard since u like to text. trust me - we all miss one!!
The HTC Desire seems to have good specs. Based on the spec alone, would I be right in saying that this phone is way better than the Ace/Wildfire S/Defy ?

At 15k this phone is a steal. But the same phone is priced 22k in flipkart and letsbuy . How safe is to purchase from this site (saholic.com) ? Any fellow member made a purchase from this site before ?
Old 21st June 2011, 11:19   #4118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The HTC Desire seems to have good specs. Based on the spec alone, would I be right in saying that this phone is way better than the Ace/Wildfire S/Defy ?

At 15k this phone is a steal. But the same phone is priced 22k in flipkart and letsbuy . How safe is to purchase from this site (saholic.com) ? Any fellow member made a purchase from this site before ?
Nope.

Its at par with the defy. See here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2396229

Defy and the Desire are the toss up.
Desire is can be overclocked a delta bit more but practically the performance is pretty much the same.
Blur vs sense - sense is definitely more pleasing.
Both have exactly the same screens.
The defy is extremely rugged and can take all the abuse you can throw at it. So its good for users who want portability.
out of the box - Desire offers only 200mb for user applications but defy offers 1.3GB
The GPU in Defy is better than the Adreno 200 on the Desire, so it'll actually do as well/better than the desire in GPU intensive apps (games/movies playback).

So its Ruggedness + 1200 saving + 1.1 GB more ROM + better GPU vs Sense and bit faster processor. HTC is definitely much more moddable piece and looks a bit sleeker.

I would advise defy but even the desire is a very desireable model. Between the two of them you can't go wrong. Definitely NOT the ace or the wildfireS which have lesser resolution screens.
Old 21st June 2011, 11:26   #4119
BANNED

I know this is an Android thread but guys have a look! A new Nokia device which is promising afterall, after a long long time

Backstack & Multitasking

The simply but very effective UI

Meego Based Nokia N9 Official - Full Touch, Unibody, 3.9inch Display | how2i.com
Old 21st June 2011, 11:51   #4120
BHPian

Quote:

The phone on flipkart is the desire "S". the saholic one is the classic desire which the "S" version replaced
Old 21st June 2011, 12:26   #4121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Nope.

Its at par with the defy. See here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2396229

Defy and the Desire are the toss up.
Desire is can be overclocked a delta bit more but practically the performance is pretty much the same.
Blur vs sense - sense is definitely more pleasing.
Both have exactly the same screens.
The defy is extremely rugged and can take all the abuse you can throw at it. So its good for users who want portability.
out of the box - Desire offers only 200mb for user applications but defy offers 1.3GB
The GPU in Defy is better than the Adreno 200 on the Desire, so it'll actually do as well/better than the desire in GPU intensive apps (games/movies playback).

So its Ruggedness + 1200 saving + 1.1 GB more ROM + better GPU vs Sense and bit faster processor. HTC is definitely much more moddable piece and looks a bit sleeker.

I would advise defy but even the desire is a very desireable model. Between the two of them you can't go wrong. Definitely NOT the ace or the wildfireS which have lesser resolution screens.
I am kind of sold on HTC's looks. You have mentioned that out of the box - Desire offers only 200mb for user applications but defy offers 1.3GB. Can the Desire's memory be increased from 200MB by rooting ? I am not a techfreek and honestly i dont see myself installing many apps in the phone at least for first 6 months. This might change, so to speak how much memory would an average-above average user need for installing apps ?

Quote:
The phone on flipkart is the desire "S". the saholic one is the classic desire which the "S" version replaced
This is what i saw, i think its the classic desire only.
HTC Desire Price In India: Buy HTC Desire: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles (Brown)

Buy HTC Desire (Brown) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

7k difference in price btw them and saholic.com. How reliable is saholic ?
Old 21st June 2011, 12:33   #4122
BHPian

Yesterday I tried the MIUI android SD ROM on my HTC HD2, it was very simple and the UI is butter smooth. Lot of themes and animations available. It is better then the plain stock android ROM, other ROM I have is the BOXMax 4.5 Froyo which is very stable and for daily use. Waiting for the BOXMAX 6.x.x Sense 3.0 ROMS to get stable.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1058809

Last edited by gopinathann : 21st June 2011 at 12:36. Reason: wrong link
Old 21st June 2011, 12:59   #4123
BHPian

Quote:

No reviews yet,but should be reliable as its owned by spice
Old 21st June 2011, 13:44   #4124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am kind of sold on HTC's looks. You have mentioned that out of the box - Desire offers only 200mb for user applications but defy offers 1.3GB. Can the Desire's memory be increased from 200MB by rooting ? I am not a techfreek and honestly i dont see myself installing many apps in the phone at least for first 6 months. This might change, so to speak how much memory would an average-above average user need for installing apps ?
That question you need to google up. I'm not much into gaming (just angry birds) and I've already used up 0.3GB! So check about unlocking the full 512MB ROM if you can. even in defy - the ROM is 2GB but user only gets 1.3GB for his usage. I've not seen any ROM in defy yet which lets me use the full 2GB ROM.

What you should be doing is asking heavy Desire users about how their performance with Apps2SD has been. That is the ultimate solution which should work.

saholic being Spice should be trustworthy. I mean, no one knew letsbuy till a few months back. Now no one's ordering phones from flipkart
Old 21st June 2011, 14:29   #4125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Yesterday I tried the MIUI android SD ROM on my HTC HD2, it was very simple and the UI is butter smooth. Lot of themes and animations available. It is better then the plain stock android ROM, other ROM I have is the BOXMax 4.5 Froyo which is very stable and for daily use. Waiting for the BOXMAX 6.x.x Sense 3.0 ROMS to get stable.

[19/June/'11]-[ Big Update ]-[SD/MAG]-[JaguarMIUI-V9]-[K:ACAr610]-[WWE+RTL]-★★★ - xda-developers
Meanwhile you may also try AmericanAndroid based on 2.3.4 (gingerbread) version. I am using it for 2 months now, very stable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks