Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2010, 18:30   #421
Team-BHP Support

I some how get a feeling that SE is not flooding market with phones.
I still see only 1.6 Androids in the market.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 30th September 2010, 18:42   #422
Senior - BHPian

^^^Yes, I don't know what fascination they have for 1.6. Also, no AF in camera, and it seems no multi touch, etc, either. Yet price is higher than Galaxy 3. :(
Old 30th September 2010, 20:01   #423
BHPian

Ok, I'm looking for one now, and I guess I'll buy one that'll be running 2.2 Froyo in future. Not much sense in buying one which we know will be locked down to 1.6 or even 2.1. Now with that criteria, we have 3 decent choices: (1) Samsung Galaxy S i9000 (2) HTC Desire (3) Motorola Milestone (and its tablet variant). This list can be sorted as 1-2-3 as per performance, and 1-2-3 as price too. They have a future update plans from their manufacturer to 2.2, though unofficial 2.2 builds are available from hacker teams. Any other model worth considering?
Old 1st October 2010, 17:20   #424
Team-BHP Support

2.2 on the Galaxy S (i9000) review :

Google Translate

cya
R
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:37   #425
Senior - BHPian

that great news rehaan,really looking forward to the 2.2 update.hope it fixes the GPS issue..
Old 3rd October 2010, 23:50   #426
Senior - BHPian

Is Froyo officially available in India? Or it'll still take some time? Haven't been following the recent happenings for some time..
Old 4th October 2010, 14:30   #427
Team-BHP Support

@revtech -- a lot of people (after updating their captivates in the US) say the GPS now locks in 5-10 seconds. Ofcourse, there are some who say it hasn't improved!

@kaushik -- Lord knows. "Mid-october" is a possibility. Just the fact that these guys in the link above got their hands on 2.2 for the international version is good enough news for me.

cya
R
Old 4th October 2010, 21:54   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
@revtech -- a lot of people (after updating their captivates in the US) say the GPS now locks in 5-10 seconds. Ofcourse, there are some who say it hasn't improved!
yeah. I read that somewhere as well.but along with that i also hope it improves the accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
@kaushik -- Lord knows. "Mid-october" is a possibility. Just the fact that these guys in the link above got their hands on 2.2 for the international version is good enough news for me.

cya
R
I heard it was postponed from end of september to end of october.

Rev
Old 5th October 2010, 09:15   #429
NIP
Senior - BHPian

I've been using my Galaxy S for over a week now, and I use GPS extensively. I have so far had no issues with google maps, or my other navigation software 'NDrive'. Locks on to the satellites within few seconds.

I'm eagerly waiting for the FroYo update as well. They say it will boost the speeds 2-5 times! This phone will truly become a beast then!!
Old 5th October 2010, 19:24   #430
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a place to buy SGS in Chennai.
Any idea on the approximate price ?

Also will froyo be made available "pre-installed" by end of the month or will it be an upgrade that can be done via web ?

Any clues to how difficult the upgrade process will be ?
Old 5th October 2010, 22:38   #431
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a ZTE Blade last week running 2.1. Pretty impressed with android so far. The Blade is a budget handset but has decent enough build and an OLED screen.
Old 6th October 2010, 00:24   #432
Senior - BHPian

i was told that one only has access to free app in india but i was just browsing the market and came across a few apps.the price is in rupees and although i haven bought any yet it there is a "Buy" option.

however the apps whose price is in another currency that can be found online or app brain cannot be purchased(normally)

rev

Ps does any one know which app i can use to take screenshots

ps2 does any one know how to use street view ? I cant seem to figure it out. or is it not available in india

Last edited by revtech : 6th October 2010 at 00:27.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:33   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Can anyone suggest a place to buy SGS in Chennai.
Any idea on the approximate price ?

Also will froyo be made available "pre-installed" by end of the month or will it be an upgrade that can be done via web ?

Any clues to how difficult the upgrade process will be ?
If my experience is anything to go by, the process should be painless. I upgraded my Nexus as soon as the file was available, (running it 3 months and counting now) copied it to my sd card and followed the instruction I had copied/written on paper. Many others have received their upgrade OTA or by wifi. Since then I have been getting incremental upgrades, 3-4mb files OTA).

Waiting for Gingerbread Android 3 now, Oct 15 being the tentative date: Nexus always get the updates first.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:54   #434
Senior - BHPian

I think Samsung should fix the performance issues quickly. They have issues with GPS and file system. Its bad that such a phone with great hardware is not glitch free.

I thought I saw a Galaxy at Reliance Digital that had a flash. Do we get one with a flash in India?
Old 6th October 2010, 12:01   #435
BHPian

Have a look at HTC Wildfire. The phone costs 15K at Bangalore. It has a good build quality and the features are ample. If you would like to stretch your budget slightly more, you will get better phones.

Most Viewed