Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 17:21   #4351
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Great, bought the Verbatim one for 459, 8GB class 4 one with rcom coupon. Now waiting for both to arrive.

You didn't clarify on the rooting, are you saying not to root the phone so soon?
My phone was rooted the same day it arrived, IIRC. or the next day. Whatever. But by the 3rd day morning it was running CM7 (which needs root to install).

That clearly clarifies my stand on rooting
Old 30th June 2011, 17:28   #4352
BHPian

I have a HTC Touch P3450, which I purchased ages ago. After moving onto Android, I am no longer using it. It's just lying idle. I was thinking if I can root it and install Android on it too. Just wanted some leads about Rooting and the problems associated with it, like Bad Rooting leaves my phone unusable and etc.
Old 30th June 2011, 18:13   #4353
Senior - BHPian

SG2 owners. There is a new firmware available for download. The firmware has build number GINGERBREAD.XWKF3.

No huge difference. Felt the GRPS was a little faster and the battery life is a little better. Other wise no big updates.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 18:47   #4354
BHPian

@VW2010......looks like thats what I got with my phone....not changed the firmware yet. But I would sure like to see a solution for using the phone with a silicon case and getting any echo
Old 1st July 2011, 03:01   #4355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
has any DIY guru like ghpk taken apart either of these models and confirmed that it has a legitimate power moderation circuit inside it? I've seen similar looking chinese models in the market so just being devil's advocate before I spend again
please don't say DIY guru, I am not that expert.

Anyway recently i operated a branded charger(not sure if it was callmate or something similar) and this was in it, its a IC controller power so looked more promising.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-car_charger.jpg
ghpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 04:09   #4356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I have a HTC Touch P3450, which I purchased ages ago. After moving onto Android, I am no longer using it. It's just lying idle. I was thinking if I can root it and install Android on it too. Just wanted some leads about Rooting and the problems associated with it, like Bad Rooting leaves my phone unusable and etc.
You are confusing two basic things:
a. Rooting is done for android phones. so till your phone runs android, it can't be rooted
b. You must FLASH a ROM for a device. Therefore, unless a specific ROM is available for a device - you just cannot flash any one.

The specific challenge is in first finding a flashing software that works on your phone (a la Odin), then getting a bootloader to work on your phone, then ensuring everything else works on your phone - from the audio drivers to the camera drivers, everything. The entire UI sometimes needs to be ported. Thus you need to find out if others have indeed installed Android on it or not. Which they have - http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/

But its android 1.5 as of last reports (2 years back). The world is now on 2.3!! (5 iterations ahead)

In 99% probability its really not worth the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
please don't say DIY guru, I am not that expert.

Anyway recently i operated a branded charger(not sure if it was callmate or something similar) and this was in it, its a IC controller power so looked more promising.
Thanks a ton. So definitely international brands like belkin etc would surely be stuff we can buy blindly, as well as consider the likes of callmate (their packaging specifically boasts of them using an IC versus just a resistor/diode!
Old 1st July 2011, 05:00   #4357
BHPian

Ofcourse a branded one would be much better than those selling at local car acc. shops including cheap ones on ebay.

check flipkart, it has a samsung one for just Rs.279/- and supports hell lot of models,
Old 1st July 2011, 09:20   #4358
Senior - BHPian

Model support should not be a problem. Most of the phones support micro usb charging. But it is better to buy car charger with standard USB port. One can use adapter cables to suit the phone's charging interface. The current rating of the charger also matters. 5V, 1A rating is standard. With lesser current rating, phone will take longer time to charge.

Last edited by poloman : 1st July 2011 at 09:23.
Old 1st July 2011, 11:08   #4359
BANNED

I expect my Incredible 2 CDMA+GSM by Monday. It is set up for CDMA with the GSM unlocked. Just insert a SIM and it goes GSM. Will report back once I get it, and have some time with it.
Old 1st July 2011, 12:27   #4360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@VW2010......looks like thats what I got with my phone....not changed the firmware yet. But I would sure like to see a solution for using the phone with a silicon case and getting any echo
Hey,

I am using the "case mate" case and it works perfectly well. In fact i dont even notice the phone heating up. Works well for me. There is a difference in battery life. Not much of improvement in that firmware.

I use the go launcher which works well for me with customizable shortcuts on home button , swipe down and swipe up buttons.
Old 1st July 2011, 12:48   #4361
BHPian

HTC Sensation review up at Anandtech - AnandTech - HTC Sensation 4G Review - A Sensational Smartphone

Overall looks like a solid phone with the exception of the speakerphone volume which is really low. And battery life could have been better as well. I really wish manufacturers start putting bigger batteries in their phones. The Sensation is not exactly svelte, and yet it has a relatively puny 1520 mAh battery
Old 1st July 2011, 16:21   #4362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
HTC Sensation review up at Anandtech - AnandTech - HTC Sensation 4G Review - A Sensational Smartphone

Overall looks like a solid phone with the exception of the speakerphone volume which is really low. And battery life could have been better as well. I really wish manufacturers start putting bigger batteries in their phones. The Sensation is not exactly svelte, and yet it has a relatively puny 1520 mAh battery
1520 mAH is not "puny" by any standards! Out of the box, only Galaxy S2 (1650) and Atrix (1900) give more! And its not just about mAH. Theres a lot of SW and HW optimizations for battery juice in the device.

Sensation battery is damn decent for tasks like browsing, reading, (even playing simple games like Angry Birds etc). It depletes pretty fast if you use camera (mainly if you shoot videos), or play graphics intensive games.

Heres pic of my typical usage for last time. You can see it would have lasted me 2 days! Thats good enough for a 4.3 inch device!!!

Old 1st July 2011, 17:12   #4363
BHPian

Facing a problem with my Dell XCD35(ZTE Blade),had tried to unroot using z4root the process went as usual but after the reboot the phone is on a loop at the animation screen.Any idea how to rectify this.Thanks

P.S When I try the hard reset the phone doesn't show the green android but only the FTM message.
Old 1st July 2011, 17:45   #4364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But its android 1.5 as of last reports (2 years back). The world is now on 2.3!! (5 iterations ahead)
In 99% probability its really not worth the time!
I did it using WingLinux and Android 1.5 (CupCake), the same release what you are speaking about. This first loads the Windows OS and post that I have to bootload Android using WingLinux. The mere reason that it was Android 1.5 (Cupcake) that I wanted to check if any new release was available, which I can directly put on my phone and run it without requiring Windows OS at all. Thanks for the detailed reply PhamilyMan.
Old 1st July 2011, 17:57   #4365
Senior - BHPian

Now i am DEAD jealous. I have NEVER seen such batteyr life with the Defy. Its got a 1500 mAH battery as well!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks