Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 12:48   #4501
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Last week quite a few members got their Motorola Defy's from letsbuy, they all reported that the phone came with android 2.2, green lens and manufacturing date of June 2011. I feel this phone is not the actual defy instead its the chinese made defy equivalent ME525 (Motorola MOTO ME525 - Full phone specifications) marketed in countries like South Africa. Can anybody confirm the place of manufacture for the first version of defy ? Were they manufactured in China too ?
donarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 12:51   #4502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
It is almost 3 years since I've been using Android based mobile phones. In these 3 years I have used 2 phones and with the last one that I bought (Xperia X10 Mini Pro) a year ago, I have the feeling that it is already old. With no possible upgrade to Froyo or the Gingerbread, I feel upgrading again. But really do not want to invest money again and buy a Android device which gets no more upgrades after a year or so. Subsequently, both the Android devices that I bought (Samsung Galaxy 7500 and the XPeria Mini Pro), I had to stick with Android 1.6 and 2.0.

What do you guys feel with respect to doing upgrades to Android versions on your Android sets? Especially when an upgrade is not anymore possible, what is your opinion?
Did you try to upgrade it, I believe you can do it with ROM manager or some other software, check in XDA developers site for your mobile.
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro | xda-developers

I too feel the same thing changing mobiles frequently, so I bought HD2 with good hardware which was Windoes Mobile 6.5, but now I am able to run WM7, Android Froyo & Gingerbread on it with Dual boot, so much flexibility, I don't have to change the phone unless my hardwares becomes obsolete.

If you are not able to upgrade the software then buy a mobile with good hardware preferably HTC brand so that you will get good support from XDA developers in the future to port new OS and other features.
Old 5th July 2011, 12:55   #4503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
I would advice that HTC would be better than Motorola anyday due to better update support as well as seamless functionality and better developer support.
Also, desire has better screen compared to defy (slcd vs tft ??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Just came across this post for HTC Desire : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2403746

Is this offer still on ? Is it worth stretching the budget over Blade or P500 ?
Yes, offer is still on. Walk into any Spice hotspot in Bangalore, you should get it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th July 2011 at 13:14. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 5th July 2011, 12:57   #4504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Last week quite a few members got their Motorola Defy's from letsbuy, they all reported that the phone came with android 2.2, green lens and manufacturing date of June 2011. I feel this phone is not the actual defy instead its the chinese made defy equivalent ME525 (Motorola MOTO ME525 - Full phone specifications) marketed in countries like South Africa. Can anybody confirm the place of manufacture for the first version of defy ? Were they manufactured in China too ?
Make of the Defy is very confusion. I bought my defy in March. One place it say Made and Marketed by India- Moto. Another place it say China. When I opened the pack every thing is seems to be China made (Pathetic Head phone). Its just labeled as India.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:15   #4505
BHPian

I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S2. My contacts were moved to SGS2 from Nokia E71 when my corporate email was configured in SGS2. All my contacts were synced with outlook via mail for exchange in Nokia E71.

Now, I added a new contact in SGS2. While adding a new contact in SGS2, it asked me where to add the new contact i.e. in Google contact, phone contacts or in Exchange server. I selected phone contacts. Now, when the next sync happens with the exchange server, i expected the new contact to appear in my outlook contacts. It did not appear.

Is there anything wrong that I did or is there something that I'm missing. THanks.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:31   #4506
BHPian

Received my HTC Desire HD from Letsbuy.com with manufacturing date of Jan 2011 yesterday. Overall an excellent phone with a few glitches:

1. The battery compartment doesn't come off easily and had a really hard time opening it. The plastic looks crappy and might break while if you have to open the battery lid a few times. More importantly the phone won't start w/o the battery lid closed, so I am guessing I am guessing if you break it, it won't be a cheap replacement.

2. Speaker volume is way too low for my liking. Giving the sound enhancing features like Dolby and SRS, a low sounding speaker doesn't seem to be right. Not sure if it was only my set or it's a general problem with DHD.

Otherwise an excellent mobile which looks stylish to the core.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:36   #4507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S2. My contacts were moved to SGS2 from Nokia E71 when my corporate email was configured in SGS2. All my contacts were synced with outlook via mail for exchange in Nokia E71.

Now, I added a new contact in SGS2. While adding a new contact in SGS2, it asked me where to add the new contact i.e. in Google contact, phone contacts or in Exchange server. I selected phone contacts. Now, when the next sync happens with the exchange server, i expected the new contact to appear in my outlook contacts. It did not appear.

Is there anything wrong that I did or is there something that I'm missing. THanks.
I'm not sure about the sync with exchange server, but it would be better if you add it as a google contact. That way you don't have to worry about your contacts when you do any upgrade, custom rom installation, recovery etc.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 13:39   #4508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezpo View Post
Yes, offer is still on. Walk into any Spice hotspot in Bangalore, you should get it.
Does the 15k Desire come with 2.2 froyo ? Did you consider Defy since both are in the same price range ? And what tilted your decision in favour of Desire ? How is the battery life ?
Old 5th July 2011, 14:39   #4509
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Stratos on purchasing a brilliant android device; It will soon be supported by AOSP
Pardon my ignorance but what's AOSP?
Old 5th July 2011, 14:42   #4510
Senior - BHPian

There is new firmware update available for SGS2 through kies, has anyone tried it? Suppose to improve battery life and Swype input. Along with that some connectivity issues are also solved.

I tried to update it but everytime it's done with the backup, it disconnects the link between the PC and handset.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:42   #4511
BHPian

Quote:
I bought from letsbuy and my phone says MB525 not ME525.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:47   #4512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what's AOSP?
It was posted a few posts back by another TBhpian;
AOSP - Welcome to Android | Android Open Source
Android (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Leading AOSP Rom by Team Cyanogen - CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Gingerbread

Cyanogen is a leading rom provider whose roms are based on AOSP and have the latest android operating systems. Keep a lookout on cyanogen website for your supported devices - Devices | CyanogenMod Afterthought- Recently loaded CM7-RC1 on a friends Samsung Galaxy-S and it turned into a Ferrari...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th July 2011 at 14:49.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:48   #4513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Does the 15k Desire come with 2.2 froyo ? Did you consider Defy since both are in the same price range ? And what tilted your decision in favour of Desire ? How is the battery life ?
Yes it comes with 2.2 froyo, off the shelf, and GB update is couple of weeks away.
Am a heavy user with mail/IM/calendar/social net apps etc
Lasts for a day, everyday have to charge in the evening.

Bought it for missus, who was eyeing galaxy ace, which was being sold for the same 15k price tag.
Two days playing around with the phone and bought another one for myself.

Reason I considered desire over defy (not in any order):
- has better screen, good for reading emails/webpages etc
- Trackball handy for moving around the menus and editing text, geeky stuff and I liked it!
- Sleek, classy look. Very well built, if not rugged.
- I had chance to check both phones live at croma, somehow desire gave better feel when held.
- Sense UI, smooth and again classy.
- 1GHz processor, packs enough punch for multi-tasking, off the shelf.
- It's been there from sometime, people have modded it to their hearts content. It's a perfect tool for modding and experimenting, someday I plan to try that for sure. (It was 2010 phone of the year, for good reasons, I guess).
Old 5th July 2011, 14:49   #4514
BHPian

Whats the going price for Samsung Galaxy S II. Should one buy it or wait for any upgrades that Samsung may launch during Diwali, Durga Puja, Christmas season?
Old 5th July 2011, 14:53   #4515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
HTC LEgend with Android 2.2

Of late the Android Market applicaiton force closes when trying to open / download any application.

HTC support claims that hard boot ( data will be erased ) is the only option.

HAs anyone faced this and any solution ? I've already done the clear cache..

thanks
Boot into recovery - wipe dalvik cache as well. Try logging in with gtalk or other applications. reinstalled market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
It is almost 3 years since I've been using Android based mobile phones. In these 3 years I have used 2 phones and with the last one that I bought (Xperia X10 Mini Pro) a year ago, I have the feeling that it is already old. With no possible upgrade to Froyo or the Gingerbread, I feel upgrading again. But really do not want to invest money again and buy a Android device which gets no more upgrades after a year or so. Subsequently, both the Android devices that I bought (Samsung Galaxy 7500 and the XPeria Mini Pro), I had to stick with Android 1.6 and 2.0.

What do you guys feel with respect to doing upgrades to Android versions on your Android sets? Especially when an upgrade is not anymore possible, what is your opinion?
Oh completely agree. Buy the phone that has a developer support. If you want manufacturers, that would mean samsung and esp HTC - I bought the Motorola defy after reading about how well they were porting CM7 on it. Today, despite being an 'unofficial' ROM - it still is the 3rdmost popular CM7 ROM. But do check dev support. SGSL is a better rated phone by most junta. But hardly any ROMs for it so far - compared to the defy. so research your phone.

Quote:
Here you go, draw what conclusions u will. mine is red lens, april 2011 date.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-donarun.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezpo View Post
Also, desire has better screen compared to defy (slcd vs tft ??)
No way man - both are not far apart from each other. Compare it in person. Its like SGSL's much hyped SLCD screen. Its nice but not that much better than Defy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Make of the Defy is very confusion. I bought my defy in March. One place it say Made and Marketed by India- Moto. Another place it say China. When I opened the pack every thing is seems to be China made (Pathetic Head phone). Its just labeled as India.
Its China man. See above. But yes, the headphone is the item that really sucks in the whole piece. Its not that good but its not that bad too. I use it daily while driving - decent quality except the button doesn't work.

Quote:
S2 is quite future proof for the coming 6 months (dont even think of expecting a period more than that in any tech device). Best price is about 29,999/- here - Buy Samsung Galaxy SII at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews with free accessories worth 3-4k after the rcomlb1 coupon
Boss, time for you to post your EVO 3D phone review in detail, no? No word on you since u said u bought it!!

Last edited by phamilyman : 5th July 2011 at 15:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks