Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 14:30   #4771
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
There are few more differences and one noteable as suggested by Rehaan is the LCD and AMOLED screens.

1. Video recording on the Nexus is WVGA@30fps while on the I9000 it is 720P@30fps.
2. Bluetooth on Nexus is 2.1 while I9000 it is 3.0
3. Oleophobic surface on Nexus while Gorilla Glass display on the I9000
4. I9000 does not have flash while Nexus has LED Flash

For people who have bought the Nexus please suggest if you have the AMOLED Screen or the LCD.

The above details are as per Samsung I9000 Galaxy S vs. Samsung Google Nexus S - GSMArena.com

Still in a Dilema :(
Actually the AMOLED screen used on I9000 were Pentile Matrix screen, hence not so good looking. While colors look fantastic, there'd be quite a lot of pixalization (hence not very sharp). Samsung corrected this on the Galaxy S2 with the introduction of SAMOLED+ (they used the regular RGB matrix hence increasing the pixel count).

I'd say for all practical purposes, the SLCD Nexus S is a better buy than Galaxy S! The LCD screen still looks quite fantastic and you get Vanilla Android experience with the Nexus.
Old 13th July 2011, 14:43   #4772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are few more differences and one noteable as suggested by Rehaan is the LCD and AMOLED screens.

1. Video recording on the Nexus is WVGA@30fps while on the I9000 it is 720P@30fps.
2. Bluetooth on Nexus is 2.1 while I9000 it is 3.0
3. Oleophobic surface on Nexus while Gorilla Glass display on the I9000
4. I9000 does not have flash while Nexus has LED Flash

For people who have bought the Nexus please suggest if you have the AMOLED Screen or the LCD.

The above details are as per Samsung I9000 Galaxy S vs. Samsung Google Nexus S - GSMArena.com

Still in a Dilema :(
I got the below from Samsung India site.

Display scLCD WVGA Size 10.16cm (4.0)

Source : Pure Google - Nexus S I9023 - Smartphone - Mobile Phone | SAMSUNG

it seems the Nexus S sold here comes with ScLCD and not AMOLED. Samsung India site is still listing this phone price as Best Buy Rs. 28,249/-*. ARE THEY SLEEPING?

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 13th July 2011 at 14:45.
Old 13th July 2011, 14:47   #4773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
HOWEVER it was pointed out that the Nexus S sold in india has always had a LCD screen, not an AMOLED like the international version, or the i9000 Galaxy S in india. Thats a major difference worth noting.

R
Quote:

Nexus S sold in India has the S-LCD screen. Not the normal TFT LCD. S-LCD screen is much better than LCD.
Old 13th July 2011, 15:06   #4774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I got the below from Samsung India site.

Display scLCD WVGA Size 10.16cm (4.0)

Source : Pure Google - Nexus S I9023 - Smartphone - Mobile Phone | SAMSUNG

it seems the Nexus S sold here comes with ScLCD and not AMOLED. Samsung India site is still listing this phone price as Best Buy Rs. 28,249/-*. ARE THEY SLEEPING?
Ignore the MSRP listed on Samsung site. With the letsbuy voucher, you get 1200/- off. However, with their high value 100% cash back vouchers, price drops down to 18k or less . (Say you buy for 30k, you get 10 vouchers each of max 3k off!!!)

Last edited by xotiq : 13th July 2011 at 15:16.
Old 13th July 2011, 15:12   #4775
BANNED

Saw that Gigerbread is now available OTA for the Incredible 2. DROID Incredible 2 Gingerbread OTA Update Rolling Out Now The upgrade site was not approachable. The upgrade is 116MB. Guess the Incredible S must be done or be imminent.
Old 13th July 2011, 15:26   #4776
BHPian

Quote:
(
Nexus S is SLCD only. picked mine from letsbuy last week. If I9000 is available for 19k then you can also consider that.

Infact except for US and Uk, rest of Europe has I9023 Nexus S

Enjoy

Last edited by indian21r : 13th July 2011 at 15:27.
Old 13th July 2011, 16:22   #4777
BHPian

Good collection of Samsung Galaxy S2 tips n tricks

Must Know Tips & Tricks For The Galaxy S2 #SGS2 | The Handheld Blog
Old 13th July 2011, 21:25   #4778
BHPian

Having rooted my Defy to CM7 RCO, I have few Questions/Observations.

1. Is there a way to display battery percentage? (in battery usage screen?)
2. Defy gets really hot after a 20 min conference call that I literally have to keep it down. Is this common?
3. After using CM7 and still have a battery life of 14-15 hrs. Almost same as Moto blur. usage is typical with 50% brightness, calls, 30 mins of gaming, mobile office on for emails syncing
4. The most irritating part for me, even if I switch on Mobile Data, it refuses to connect. I have to reboot the phone and then select Mobile Data for it to work. If it uncheck it and try checking it again, it wont connect have to reboot again!

Will take some more time, but currently I am not really excited with CM7 compared to the stock!
Old 14th July 2011, 08:57   #4779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Saw that Gigerbread is now available OTA for the Incredible 2. DROID Incredible 2 Gingerbread OTA Update Rolling Out Now The upgrade site was not approachable. The upgrade is 116MB. Guess the Incredible S must be done or be imminent.
Last week, got my HTC icredible S and the moment I hooked it up on my home wifi, came the message that update is available and upon selecting the same, got updated to 2.3.3 Gingerbird
Old 14th July 2011, 10:59   #4780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Having rooted my Defy to CM7 RCO, I have few Questions/Observations.

1. Is there a way to display battery percentage? (in battery usage screen?)
Install quick settings. Useful overall.
2. Defy gets really hot after a 20 min conference call that I literally have to keep it down. Is this common?
Woah. What is your overclock setting?
3. After using CM7 and still have a battery life of 14-15 hrs. Almost same as Moto blur. usage is typical with 50% brightness, calls, 30 mins of gaming, mobile office on for emails syncing
Key question - is it enough to come back home or not? If not, we need to analyze further. I'm currently trying out BareBones with CM7. Definitely a bit more juice in the battery. else try juicedefender if u wish.
4. The most irritating part for me, even if I switch on Mobile Data, it refuses to connect. I have to reboot the phone and then select Mobile Data for it to work. If it uncheck it and try checking it again, it wont connect have to reboot again!
Where are you making these changes? You should ideally not have to make these changes! In my case, when i'm home, I switch on Wi-fi and when I leave home, mobile data latches on, automatically!

Will take some more time, but currently I am not really excited with CM7 compared to the stock!
hmm, let's see how we can sort things out. Or even MIUI. Brightness is 50% or auto?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 11:11   #4781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
hmm, let's see how we can sort things out. Or even MIUI. Brightness is 50% or auto?
1. Check it. I do not see it offering battery percentage, most of the functions I can anyway do with Power Control widget and Volume button right? Is there any specific reason you want me to try this?
2. I havent done any clocking, does CM7 overclock by default?
3. Will install juice defender and check, even today I got a battery time of 14-15 hrs. Brightness is at min. I increase to max only when in sun which is like max of 10 mins in a day!
4. I added power control widget which contains wifi, data etc. I switch on and switch off there. I dont want it to do a auto synch, I generally data synch only during lunch or when I am in meeting!

Last edited by madbullram : 14th July 2011 at 11:23.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:16   #4782
Senior - BHPian

TFT Screens can never match the brightness and power saving of an S-Amoled screen (to the discerning eye). That is where Samsung scores big time. It is also using it's monopolistic policy and hampering sale of the S-Amoled to other manufacturers to retain its dominance when it falters in some other aspects of phone manufacturing (like poor gps, poor software and some hardware lags). Samsung is also pioneer and patenting its light weight polymer technology that it is using in its phones which others can't match as on date. HTC on the other hand has got all the other things figured out perfectly (like software, gps, soft keys etc.) and their products work perfectly albeit at a higher weight and lower screen brightness (even though they may be of higher resolution). Their overall build quality also feels more solid. Motorola is seriously hampered by its policy of locking out bootloaders and poor software management but rest of its hardware is comparable to HTC.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:33   #4783
Senior - BHPian

The problem with gps has been addressed thru firmware updates.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:41   #4784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Actually the AMOLED screen used on I9000 were Pentile Matrix screen, hence not so good looking. While colors look fantastic, there'd be quite a lot of pixalization (hence not very sharp). Samsung corrected this on the Galaxy S2 with the introduction of SAMOLED+ (they used the regular RGB matrix hence increasing the pixel count).

I'd say for all practical purposes, the SLCD Nexus S is a better buy than Galaxy S! The LCD screen still looks quite fantastic and you get Vanilla Android experience with the Nexus.
The resolution for both is 480 x 800, and so the pixel count is 384000. (It is RGBG pixel in AMOLED and RGB in LCD)

The reason why the AMOLED screen is bad (you can see pixelization as stated) is because the pixels are not that closely packed in the Pentile Matrix. In S-AMOLED, or in S-LCD, they are more closely packed and so you cannot make out pixel by pixel.

Name:  Sunil_amoledslcd.png
Views: 7332
Size:  184.8 KB

While the number of pixels in a particular area are same, we can see that the LCD screen occupies all the area with their pixels while lots of darker areas are there in between the smaller light emitting parts in AMOLED screen.

My preference for a screen goes like AMOLED < S-LCD < S-AMOLED. While AMOLED offers better contrast ratio than S-LCD, the pixelization is very disturbing to see, once you have experienced S-LCD. But S-AMOLED is clearly ahead.

Last edited by clevermax : 14th July 2011 at 11:50.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:49   #4785
Senior - BHPian

For practical purpose i am not sure if you would notice any difference between these two screens.

I have both the I9000 and SGS2 and i can say both look fantastic for viewing pictures, videos or even just browsing. Too much into the pixel level details should not stop you from chosing what you like.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks