Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2011, 00:38   #5371
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yes, for me too (running 2.3.4 with GMaps 5.8) I don't see any option to download map area by selecting it. Only option is prefetch on mobile in cache settings. But You can see the maps for the areas already downloaded without having the need for a data connection.

Changed the settings a bit.
Attachment 589150
Battery drain seems to have reduced, 8 hours of pretty good usage and now it is at 60%.
I don't see the voltage feature on the setcpu check if you are running 2.2.4 version. After which you could change the voltages too.
Old 7th August 2011, 00:41   #5372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Any Thoughts on this.., Need inputs. Thanks.
Make sure the voice recognition setting are set to Indian English. I have a galaxy ace and it works brilliantly. It even spells out names quite accurately.
Old 7th August 2011, 06:58   #5373
BHPian

Re: Is the Samy GS (I9000) still suffering from GPS issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Well while indoors i am near a window and have EDGE (GPRS) packet data mode as ON. My house is top floor.

Congrats SX4LOVER, after using a Galaxy S, i can imagine what great phone the S2 would be ! The best part of S2 is that despite being so feature rich, it weighs so less. And if sAMOLED of SGS is great, sAMOLED Plus would be awesome

Which build is the SGS2 running on - 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 ?
2.3.3....am trying to update it.
Old 7th August 2011, 07:27   #5374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite

Well while indoors i am near a window and have EDGE (GPRS) packet data mode as ON. My house is top floor.
Hi. I have a SGSL on froyo and live on top (9th) floor. Have't been able to get a GPS lock after standing in balcony for over 10 mins. Doesn't lock in a moving car as well.

Earlier I had got GPS lock a few times after buying the phone.
Could it be a problem with the phone or a problem with os?
Old 7th August 2011, 08:46   #5375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Hi. I have a SGSL on froyo and live on top (9th) floor. Have't been able to get a GPS lock after standing in balcony for over 10 mins. Doesn't lock in a moving car as well.

Move to XXKB3 firmware, you will get a GPS lock almost instantly.
Refer XDA forums for more info.
Old 7th August 2011, 08:48   #5376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Getting gps lock without a (partial) sky view is nearly impossible.. wonder how you could manage that!
It is absolutely possible on certain models that use a mixed algorithm and use both A-GPS (read cell tower data) and Physical GPS. On HTC it works wonderfully well, much better than all Samsung's and we can even get a GPS lock while indoors with pretty good accuracy (though not rivalling actual physical GPS lock accuracy)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post

Try the GPS fix I have posted here - Sprint Samsung Epic 4G - The Beast Is Here! - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums Should work for your Galaxy-S as well
Old 7th August 2011, 09:16   #5377
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER

2.3.3....am trying to update it.
Brother has tried Cyanogenmod for SGS2, and its generally awesome. But it is still nightlies, and there are few issues to be sorted though, mainly with bluetooth.

Once the stable release comes out, I believe sgs2 will be a whole new experience.
Old 7th August 2011, 09:25   #5378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
It is absolutely possible on certain models that use a mixed algorithm and use both A-GPS (read cell tower data) and Physical GPS. On HTC it works wonderfully well, much better than all Samsung's and we can even get a GPS lock while indoors with pretty good accuracy (though not rivalling actual physical GPS lock accuracy)

Try the GPS fix I have posted here - Sprint Samsung Epic 4G - The Beast Is Here! - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums Should work for your Galaxy-S as well
Looks like @dkaile has posted the same details available at below link-

HowTo Fix Galaxy S GPS
Old 7th August 2011, 09:27   #5379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I beg to disagree on the A-GPS part.

A-GPS is Assisted GPS which means, the phone takes help of certain servers over the internet to help the phone to do the initial calculations which are complex, and which will help the phone to determine where exactly is its position with the GPS signals & cell info it received. Having A-GPS does not mean that the phone can determine the position with GPS accuracy, without having GPS signal reception.

The data transfer over internet is just needed in the very beginning when device tries to achieve a lock, and once the device achieves a lock, the device is self capable of updating the position change with GPS signals in that session as well as in the subsequent sessions which may follow soon after it received a lock. This is why some people say that the device achieved a gps lock even without data - they might have tested it soon after experiencing an actual gps lock with data turned on. Turn off mobile data and wifi overnight, and try to achieve a gps lock next day or so, without ever turning on mobile data or wi-fi and you will see.

GPS Signals are a must to get a GPS lock, even with A-GPS.

GPS signals come from GPS satellites and it doesn't matter where you are standing - in ground, or on the top of a 100 floor building - just a good view of the sky is enough. Yes, it will be advantageous in some cases when you are sitting near a window in a top floor, because there are less obstructions of the sky because of lack of trees outside.

When phone doesn't receive GPS signals or when the phone's GPS is turned off, the location is shown with the help of cell tower info, and this location lock is not a 'gps lock'.

The picture below shows the relative size differences in the 'location circle' with cell tower info and a gps lock. The blue circle is the approximate location determined from a cell tower info and the smaller red dot (I marked it) is usually the radius of a gps lock. It can even be smaller depending on how many gps satellites are visible to your device.

Name:  snap20110807_091247.png
Views: 374
Size:  155.5 KB

Last edited by clevermax : 7th August 2011 at 09:36.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 09:27   #5380
BHPian

Thanks dkaile. Followed few steps from your post and now i'm getting gps lock almost instantly.

Thanks F150. Will try to update firmware next weekend.
Old 7th August 2011, 09:27   #5381
Senior - BHPian

^
Thanks for caring so much Mr. xotiq... I hope you keep following my every post... lolz...

@clevermax - Well its essential to get at least one physical GPS lock for gps to lock on faster next time, so that the algorithm comes to work properly.

@bloodred - glad to be of assistance.

Last edited by dkaile : 7th August 2011 at 09:31.
Old 7th August 2011, 09:37   #5382
BHPian

Quote:

In forums like these, are we not supposed to ensure democratic discussion? lol..!!
Looks like dkaile has posted same details from below link-

HowTo Fix Galaxy S GPS (Clevermax, not sure if you have tried steps mentioned here)

Anyways, please don't pass generic comments unless you have data to validate. I use the HTC Imagio and the SGS2, and both lock on even 6 feet from windows indoor, on a 3rd floor...!!! However, my friends Nokia E52 beats both of them hands down in GPS acquisition.

Last edited by xotiq : 7th August 2011 at 09:47.
Old 7th August 2011, 09:39   #5383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Any Thoughts on Voice Search, Need inputs. Thanks.
I use it in my NExus S. it is quite a convenient feature while typing messages or seeraching in English. Infact I can write mails using that

Last edited by indian21r : 7th August 2011 at 09:44.
Old 7th August 2011, 09:45   #5384
BANNED

Re: Pre-cache map area

Quote:
Actually, it doesn't show all those options in mine..
1. Open the Maps app then click the menu button > Labs> select Precache Map Area
Name:  snap20110807_091033.png
Views: 442
Size:  72.6 KB
Name:  snap20110807_091157.png
Views: 508
Size:  58.5 KB

2. Go back and click Cache Settings > select Prefetch on Mobile.

Name:  snap20110807_091042.png
Views: 429
Size:  31.9 KB

3. Go back to map and long press the desire portion so balloon pops up then click that > sign on that balloon

4. Click more and you have see this option window and press Precache Map Area to save it.

Name:  snap20110807_091015.png
Views: 483
Size:  34.8 KB
Name:  snap20110807_090955.png
Views: 412
Size:  41.1 KB
A maximum of 10 Precahed Map area can be stored.
Name:  snap20110807_012908.png
Views: 482
Size:  43.7 KB
Name:  snap20110807_095516.png
Views: 411
Size:  40.0 KB

Last edited by wildon : 7th August 2011 at 09:57.
wildon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 11:21   #5385
Distinguished - BHPian

This discussion is not helping anybody guys.

On topic, using Wi-Fi sharing of 3g connection, are you able to get the quoted speeds?
The ones we get on speed test app itself?

Most Viewed