Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 17:02   #5551
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys, i am looking forward to buy the Samsung Galaxy Pro Andriod phone, it seems the only problem with it is the low screen resolution at a price of 8000 INR. Any alternatives to that?

It has Os Ver. 2.2, is it good enough?

I will primarily use the phone for SMS and connecting Net to my laptop.
Old 21st August 2011, 18:14   #5552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Read well. Spend few days reading and re-reading. Create your own document on the steps for your phone and the ROM you choose.

Make sure you can get into recovery and download modes on the phone before you do anything. And make sure that the PC recognises your phone while it is in download mode.

Make sure you have right equipment - PC; cables, software (it is Kies or ODIN for Samsung - dunno what it is called for Moto) on the pc, etc. Make sure that you have net connection on the PC.

Make sure you have right recovery ROMs installed (if required).

Go one step at a time. Allow 2-3 days between the steps. (or have somebody who has done this for same phone / same model a phone call away). Root it first - if you want to go custom way. Install some random harmless package through the PC so that you get familiar with "upgrade from PC" option / "downloadmode" on the phone.

Create your own document of how to go about things (a copy paste from the relevant pages will do) and make sure you have necessary files on the PC.

Remove SIM and SD card while doing things from the PC (stock upgrade - if goind custom way, you WILL need the SD card inside the phone).

Of course, you do not need a PC for installing most custom ROMs - but you will need a rooted phone.

Do not jump the schedule - take your own sweet time doing things.

Do not panic if things go wrong. Make a list of things which may go wrong, make sure you know how to recover.

Doesnt' the Indian Motorola provide an official upgrades?
the last official upgrade was 2.2. The phone came with that stock.
Old 21st August 2011, 18:15   #5553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Guys, i am looking forward to buy the Samsung Galaxy Pro Andriod phone, it seems the only problem with it is the low screen resolution at a price of 8000 INR. Any alternatives to that?

Try the new Micromax A70
Old 21st August 2011, 20:20   #5554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
[FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx - xda-developers
and
Motorola Defy Ownership | FreeRiding

download the latest version of CM7 from [DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.4) - xda-developers

ask the question you actually have. You CANNOT brick the phone just like that - i'm living proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Read well. Spend few days reading and re-reading. Create your own document on the steps for your phone and the ROM you choose.
Doesnt' the Indian Motorola provide an official upgrades?
BSB boss,

a. Motorola has upgraded it to 2.2 and i'm sure not beyond (except a leaked ROM) because the defy+ (with little changed) comes with 2.3
b. All of what you're saying is relevant for samsung, not for motorola. The process remains same but the terminology is quite different.

That said, there are 3 basic ROMs:
a. Cyanogenmod7 (above link).
b. Barebones based on CM7: [ROM] Barebones - CM7 & Froyo - Motorola Defy - xda-developers
c. MIUI: MIUI.us UNITED WORLDWIDE - ROM Downloads - its very iPhoneish with lots of eye candy.

I personally would say a/b. MIUI has some minor UI quirks which irritated me no end (stuff like quickly scrolling the application drawer in CM7 versus screen by screen for MIUI) but MIUI is otherwise far more COOL!

[ROM][MOD] WajkIUI 1.8.19 - MULTiLanguage - xda-developers seems very cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have used full body protector (including screen) from Gadgetshieldz. I haven't faced any touch screen problem.
It must not be covering the proximity sensor then

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
What i found was even the 900 rupees chargers just dont charge at a speed that is really useful. I have discarded any chargers and have the cheapest 99 rupees ones just in case of emergency.

Alternately i am thinking of getting additional batteries instead of wasting on car chargers.
I got myself a rs 10 micro USB connector to fit on my existing ERD car charger (output to nokia thick pin) - which is IC controlled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
i have uninstalled Set CPU. I experienced a lot of lag while getting calls or answering them.
The problem is that your vsel1 for speed1 must be too low. Just as an example. for defy, it is 300/30. Now some guys run 300/18. I tried it, got frustrated and went back to 300/30. Google up what people are advising. Underclocking is one simple n effective way to manage battery best!!

ok now i hate the stock alarm clock. I want a REALLY annoying one - something that doesnt shut off till i close it. i want one where i set 5 alarms and i need to silence each one (thus ensuring i wake up). the stock app just asks u to silence the last one, others silence when a new one starts up! which is a waste. any recommendations?

Last edited by phamilyman : 21st August 2011 at 20:43.
Old 21st August 2011, 21:44   #5555
BANNED

Quote:
Samsung Galaxy pop aka mini. Look for GT S 5570.

Err... I own that. Therefore, can certify that stock camera is crap. And (multimedia) audio has to be improved with a different media player.

Pro 7510 is a QWERTY phone. 5570 is a touch screen one, with a slower 600 MHz processor capable or being overclocked up to 800 Mhz. But people report better stability with 7XX while using the kernel meant for 800Mhz.

Quote:
For my 5570, I upgraded to official 2.3.3 Gingerbread ROM - the ROM is meant for EU.

Quote:
Simply use tethering, and you are done. No configuration required on the PC / Laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
So, your only choice is CyanogenMod or other custom mod. Err.... the grate seer has spoken. I wil shut up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
Try the new Micromax A70
Does it have custom ROM support?

@phamilyman - thanks for the gyaan. So, now, I have one more reason to feel envious of Motorola owners!!! Can you list out the equivalent terms for Samsung and Moto?

Also, anybody knows what library is used for text rendering? Why nobody here is complaining about (absence of) Indic rendering? Only Hindi works in some ROMS for Samsung. Looks like SE have released some new models with HI support.

And on my part, would appreciate any input on a free (of cost) screen grabber. Had tried shootme - but all blacks shows up as pink / red. Another one I tried out wants to configure something with adb.
Old 22nd August 2011, 00:54   #5556
BHPian

Im thinking to go with one of the Gingerbread roms that are based on the leaked firmware. I dont really like CM7 and MIUI either.
Old 22nd August 2011, 03:25   #5557
Senior - BHPian

BSB,

I currently use AndroSS - needs root permissions. Else if u have Cm7 - then pressing the power button brings up a screenshot menu
Found this - http://www.appbrain.com/app/no-root-...otitfullnoroot

In samsung, u put phone in download mode and use ODIN. We call it bootloader mode and use RSDLite to flash a ROM. Samsung takes 3 mins, Motorola can take upto 10-15 min.

Kies is again not used for upgrading to custom ROMs just like the motorola stuff isnt - those are more as PC suite than as flashing sofrwares (listed above)

You should do it all wholesale - I once installed GB completely from scratch in 30-35 mins. The issue on Defy is that the GB custom ROMs are based on the kernels from Froyo. Therefore - unlike some samsung ROMs which can be flashed directly (read in 3 mins), The defy process is more like:
a. Reflash OEM Froyo ROM of choice
b. Root it. Install 2nd init
c. Actually flash the Gingerbread custom ROM (of the 3/4 listed earlier) along with fixes (GPS, baseband, swype etc).

CA: [Flash_SBF] Leaked 4.5.1_85 / android 2.3.3 / Orange GB with MotoBlur - xda-developers is the one. Which other ROMs are you talking of?

Last edited by phamilyman : 22nd August 2011 at 03:48.
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:33   #5558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
Try the new Micromax A70
It supposedly has a very poor touch screen going by the reviews.

Wats Tethering?

How does OS upgrade help for a phone?

Sorry for being too amature, but what is ROM? Overclocking?

Last edited by Mr.Beat : 22nd August 2011 at 08:36.
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:37   #5559
BHPian

I'm planning to buy Motorola defy? Have read enough positive reviews so far. But one last question?

Is defy+ released and available market? and wait for it or stay with defy itself. Kindly suggest me.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:19   #5560
BANNED

phamilyman - thanks.

Quote:
Wats Tethering?
Connecting the PC / Lappie to the phone, so that the PC / lappie uses the phone's net connection.

Or connecting the phone to a wifi network so that the phone uses the wifi to access the net.

Quote:
How does OS upgrade help for a phone?
Same way an OS upgrade helps on the PC. Only that with Android, things are guaranteed to improve. (In Windughs, things almost always slow down).

Quote:
Sorry for being too amature, but what is ROM? Overclocking?
We all are, once or other time in our life time.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:22   #5561
BHPian

I am interested in rooting the Defy, but I would also like to retain an option to revert back (if needed) to the official rom (2.2) which came with the phone. Do I need to take any other precautionary measure or a backup using the "Titanium backup" would be sufficient ?
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:43   #5562
BHPian

Finally took the plung and bought Samsung Galaxy S2 from Letsbuy. Thanks to Viju for the coupon code. Eagerly waiting for the package to arrive.

Edit: Just got an sms that the package is dispatched. The countdown begins!!!!!
Old 22nd August 2011, 20:42   #5563
BHPian

Hi all. Just saw a dedicated topic for android on team bhp. I have an xperia x10 running on miui 2.3.5 rom! the phone is awesome after it got the ginger bread update.

Apart from that I do android development in my free time. Have released a free app titled 'Ciggie' on the market to help people cut down on smoking or just get interesting stats on their smoking habits. You can see the page here https://market.android.com/details?i...kryptos.ciggie
Old 22nd August 2011, 21:44   #5564
BHPian

SBI Mobile Banking for Android phones

I've a Samsung Galaxy S2. I've downloaded an application from android market for SBI mobile banking. Now to login to the application, it is asking an user id (only numbers) and a password.

I've a user id (mix of alphabets and numbers ) and pin which I got when I tried to register for mobile banking.
Is anyone using SBI mobile banking on android phones? If so, can you please let me know the complete process? Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:39   #5565
BHPian

Planning for Screen protector for my Samsung Galaxy S2. Are the benefits really worth while? What are the disadvantages (if any) also? Shall i buy a genuine one from Samsung or are there good third party ones available? Is anyone else using a screen protector on their S2? Please let me know. I also need to get a silicon cover for the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have used full body protector (including screen) from Gadgetshieldz. I haven't faced any touch screen problem.
Could you let me know where i can buy this in India? I am looking for a screen protector for my S2.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd August 2011 at 00:59. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks

Most Viewed