Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 00:54   #5566
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
It supposedly has a very poor touch screen going by the reviews.

Wats Tethering?

How does OS upgrade help for a phone?

Sorry for being too amature, but what is ROM? Overclocking?

Dell XCD 35.highest resolution and officially supported by cynogenmod
Old 23rd August 2011, 02:41   #5567
Senior - BHPian

My Galaxy S is running Froyo.

For past couple of days i am facing a very unique problem.

When i pull down notification bar, it doesn't come down completely. it gets stuck at 1/4th or half depending on its mood.

If i have to get it completely down i have restart the phone. But then it comes up again a day or 2 later.

Has anybody faced such problems? What could be the reason.

I faced this problem before to and i ended up re-installing froyo. i don't wanna do this again. please help. thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:12   #5568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
I am interested in rooting the Defy, but I would also like to retain an option to revert back (if needed) to the official rom (2.2) which came with the phone. Do I need to take any other precautionary measure or a backup using the "Titanium backup" would be sufficient ?
You can backup user apps. You can flash back the OEM ROM. Worst case, you can always flash the fixed (or like I prefer) or the FULL SBF of the India ROM: [SBF] OFFICIAL RE-RELEASE | Android Froyo 2.2.2 SOUTH EAST ASIA + INDIA [RE-RELEASE!] - xda-developers of course, your data will be factory reset everytime u switch from CM7 to Motorola ROM or otherwise.

I've not flashed the OEM ROM but the UK Froyo (mine came with eclair and that's the ROM that's worked perfectly for me for some reason) and I've reflashed it about 10 times and it works everytime. If tomorrow, I need to claim warranty - I'll reflash the India ROM linked above.

FWIW, most people here have installed CM7 directly on Indian froyo ROM so there's no real cause to worry - you don't have to flash the OEM ROM atleast - just install 2nd init and install the CM7 zips and you're set for CM7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
I'm planning to buy Motorola defy? Have read enough positive reviews so far. But one last question?

Is defy+ released and available market? and wait for it or stay with defy itself. Kindly suggest me.
Unless the defy+ is dual core 1ghz phone, there is no benefit in the newer model. Everyone here has their phones overclocked to 1 ghz and the rest of the specs are same.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:12   #5569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
I am interested in rooting the Defy, but I would also like to retain an option to revert back (if needed) to the official rom (2.2) which came with the phone. Do I need to take any other precautionary measure or a backup using the "Titanium backup" would be sufficient ?
Backup etc are fairly easy with any of the backup tools.
Titanium is what seems to be most used.

Just keep your PC suite/equivalent handy in case you brick your phone, or need to revert to OE.
Thats will be the easier option rather than the XDA one to revert to factory rom.
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:44   #5570
BHPian

Re: SBI Mobile Banking for Android phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I've a Samsung Galaxy S2. I've downloaded an application from android market for SBI mobile banking. Now to login to the application, it is asking an user id (only numbers) and a password.

I've a user id (mix of alphabets and numbers ) and pin which I got when I tried to register for mobile banking.
Is anyone using SBI mobile banking on android phones? If so, can you please let me know the complete process? Thanks in advance.
I am using SBI mobile banking application not on Android but on my E71, try putting the login id after which if your are able to enter the application the 2nd last option has "Settings" please enter into that you should see "Change Channel" make it to Gprs then again come back to "Settings" option you will see register option over there and you need to register the details and you are done.

Might be that Android Application may differ from the application on E71 just tried to contribute my 2 cents
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:56   #5571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You can backup user apps. You can flash back the OEM ROM. Worst case, you can always flash the fixed (or like I prefer) or the FULL SBF of the India ROM: [SBF] OFFICIAL RE-RELEASE | Android Froyo 2.2.2 SOUTH EAST ASIA + INDIA [RE-RELEASE!] - xda-developers of course, your data will be factory reset everytime u switch from CM7 to Motorola ROM or otherwise.

I've not flashed the OEM ROM but the UK Froyo (mine came with eclair and that's the ROM that's worked perfectly for me for some reason) and I've reflashed it about 10 times and it works everytime. If tomorrow, I need to claim warranty - I'll reflash the India ROM linked above.

FWIW, most people here have installed CM7 directly on Indian froyo ROM so there's no real cause to worry - you don't have to flash the OEM ROM atleast - just install 2nd init and install the CM7 zips and you're set for CM7.
The defy I got from letsbuy came with firmware version 2.2.2 and build number JEM_3.4.3-33-1. So I dont have to flash the nordic SBF ?

To load CM7 can I follow the below steps in the order mentioned (pls do Correct me if i'm wrong)
1. Update the motorola drivers with RSD Lite on the PC and phone
2. Root with SuperOneClick
3. Install backup app and make a backup. Which is better titanium / nandroid backup ?
4. Install recovery. Which is better ClockworkMod / 2ndInit ?
5. Copy CM7 rom to sd card , reboot, unzip and install the rom, reboot.

For steps 2-4, corresponding applications are to be directly downloaded on the android phone memory (sd card) and installed ?
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:40   #5572
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I ordered and received my USB Jig. Used it on the SGS2 and successfully cleared 'Download Counter'. Now even though I am running Litening v5.0, there is no Yellow Triangle on the boot screen, the Custom Binary Download says 'No' and Current Binary says 'Samsung Official'

Totally worth it, bcos something tells me this is not the last time I'll need to reset :P

P.S: Was shipped in 12 days, here is the link (seller is XDA-Developer Member) if anyone is interested Reset Cust Binary Counter Jig Galaxy S2 I9100 DL Mode | eBay

Last edited by Zenster : 23rd August 2011 at 12:42.
Zenster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:48   #5573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
BSB,

I currently use AndroSS - needs root permissions. Else if u have Cm7 - then pressing the power button brings up a screenshot menu
Found this - No Root Screenshot It for Android | AppBrain.com

In samsung, u put phone in download mode and use ODIN. We call it bootloader mode and use RSDLite to flash a ROM. Samsung takes 3 mins, Motorola can take upto 10-15 min.

Kies is again not used for upgrading to custom ROMs just like the motorola stuff isnt - those are more as PC suite than as flashing sofrwares (listed above)

You should do it all wholesale - I once installed GB completely from scratch in 30-35 mins. The issue on Defy is that the GB custom ROMs are based on the kernels from Froyo. Therefore - unlike some samsung ROMs which can be flashed directly (read in 3 mins), The defy process is more like:
a. Reflash OEM Froyo ROM of choice
b. Root it. Install 2nd init
c. Actually flash the Gingerbread custom ROM (of the 3/4 listed earlier) along with fixes (GPS, baseband, swype etc).

CA: [Flash_SBF] Leaked 4.5.1_85 / android 2.3.3 / Orange GB with MotoBlur - xda-developers is the one. Which other ROMs are you talking of?
there are a few more of them if you check in the development section on XDA.
Old 23rd August 2011, 14:18   #5574
BHPian

ok so i wanna flash this rom: [ROM] MotoGinger 2.3.4 (Teaser V.3) *12/08/2011* - xda-developers

and here are the install steps:

"Starting installation with any original froyo 2.2.2 (rooted)
- Download MotoGinger Teaser v3 and put the unzipped folder in Microsd--->(folder and subfolder) clockworkmod---> backup---> put motoginger-test5 folder

1. wipe via CWM
2. advanced restore (system/only)
3. flash fixed-sbf ----> DOWNLOAD
4. wipe via stock recovery, then reboot."

im already rooted. Do i need to get 2ndint as well? Im totally confused lol :(.
Old 23rd August 2011, 14:51   #5575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post

P.S: Was shipped in 12 days, here is the link (seller is XDA-Developer Member) if anyone is interested Reset Cust Binary Counter Jig Galaxy S2 I9100 DL Mode | eBay
Nice! How much did it cost you and why did you not buy it from an Indian Vendor? (Read quicker shipping and lower costs?)
Old 23rd August 2011, 14:57   #5576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Nice! How much did it cost you and why did you not buy it from an Indian Vendor? (Read quicker shipping and lower costs?)
My friend made one for him self.
If you want to go the DIY Way i can give you specifics
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:00   #5577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Planning for Screen protector for my Samsung Galaxy S2. Are the benefits really worth while? What are the disadvantages (if any) also? Shall i buy a genuine one from Samsung or are there good third party ones available? Is anyone else using a screen protector on their S2? Please let me know. I also need to get a silicon cover for the back.

Could you let me know where i can buy this in India? I am looking for a screen protector for my S2.
I just ordered an SGP Oleophobic SP from Export Prive. I'll be able to write up a review immediately after that, but here is a thought - It is an expensive device with a very tough Gorilla Glass. It should work fine without a SP given that you do not keep the device in your pocket with keys or other metal objects. There have been reports of small scratches which are basically on oleophobic coating over the gorilla glass. Also, these can be caused by sand particles.

So I would just prefer to have a SP and peace of mind rather than worrying about any blemishes on that beautiful screen. With that said, the the quality of the SP would also play a large role in how you enjoy that super amoled screen. There are quite a few SPs which totally ruin the feel and look of the amoled screen - so you are well advised to look and read around before you make that purchase.

Good starting point is offcourse the SGS2 forums at the XDA.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:05   #5578
BHPian

Quote:
I paid some 475/- in all. I wasn't able to find any Indian listings for the same thing for less than 1200/- (Do know the prices now, besides I've found all SGS2 compatible accessories to be readily available in UK)

Next is finding extended battery options. I mean charging the battery on the go without wall-sockets (read random holidays), something like this http://www.momax.net/en/Product_Show.aspx?ID=1187&T=1 . I'm not sure how safe non-OEM batteries will be, hence prefer external chargers to replacing batteries. What do you (and everyone else) suggest?

Last edited by Zenster : 23rd August 2011 at 15:16.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:05   #5579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
My friend made one for him self.
If you want to go the DIY Way i can give you specifics
Well, I was actually thinking about it but I do not have a spare mini USB lying around. I think I can contact some electrician for the soldering iron but not sure where I can buy the 300K watch Resistor. Is it something easily available? and most importantly - is your friend using the same method?
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:15   #5580
BHPian

Quote:
I just ordered an SGP Oleophobic SP from Export Prive. I'll be able to write up a review immediately after that, but here is a thought - It is an expensive device with a very tough Gorilla Glass. It should work fine without a SP given that you do not keep the device in your pocket with keys or other metal objects. There have been reports of small scratches which are basically on oleophobic coating over the gorilla glass. Also, these can be caused by sand particles.

So I would just prefer to have a SP and peace of mind rather than worrying about any blemishes on that beautiful screen. With that said, the the quality of the SP would also play a large role in how you enjoy that super amoled screen. There are quite a few SPs which totally ruin the feel and look of the amoled screen - so you are well advised to look and read around before you make that purchase.

Good starting point is offcourse the SGS2 forums at the XDA.
Do they deliver to India? Which one did you buy? $11.19? Would love to get one like that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks