Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 19:40   #6106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels
Hey Guys, am planning to buy an app on Android market... Is it safe to give out your credit card details to do the same? Has anyone done that before?
Have done it numerous times, perfectly safe..
kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 19:49   #6107
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Hey Guys, am planning to buy an app on Android market... Is it safe to give out your credit card details to do the same? Has anyone done that before?
Android market by default uses Google Checkout to purchase items. I've purchased one app successfully a year back. You can always remove/modify your credit card details in Google Checkout.
Apple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 19:50   #6108
BANNED

Re: LG O1 (P500) Low on space, issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am getting this 'Low on Space' notifications on my LG O1 (P500). How do one go about clearing the space on this device? Please help!

Settings>> Applications>> Manage Applications>>

then select the apps you want and press "Move to USB Storage"

Last edited by wildon : 8th October 2011 at 19:52.
Old 8th October 2011, 20:12   #6109
BHPian

Re: LG O1 (P500) Low on space, issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post

Not all apps come with that option. For many of them, the option would be greyed out.
Old 8th October 2011, 20:46   #6110
BANNED

Those are system applications - some are bloatware. You may be better leaving them as is.
Old 8th October 2011, 21:15   #6111
Senior - BHPian

Guys managed to instal the miui weather widget on my galaxy 3, but the clock does not update unless tapped...

Pointers ?

And how is HTC SENSATION?
Old 8th October 2011, 22:29   #6112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon

Phone memory will eventually get full even if you move apps to sd card with that option because apps won't get moved fully to sdcard. Some data and components remain in phone memory. Creating an ext3 positron is the proper way.
Old 9th October 2011, 00:19   #6113
Senior - BHPian

S-OFF ed my Desire! Thanks to Alpharev

I have successfully S-OFF ed by Desire. The procedure was kind of impulsive when I failed to replace a /system/app file with a custom one.

Downloaded and wrote the ISO boot image from Alpharev to a CD and booted the PC from it, and connected the phone to it and waited for those few minutes of uncertainty

Phone's newly flashed hboot after the process. Note the S-OFF which was previously S-ON.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-hboot.jpg

The HTC splash screen is replaced by the Alpharev's own logo. (This was the default, you could flash other images too)
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-alpha.jpg

I was little concerned not seeing the normal HTC Splash, anyway all the tension was gone when the MIUI Splash screen came up and phone booted up into life again.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-boot.jpg

Here's the log from the PC screen.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pc.jpg

All pics taken are with my Dslr Camera and are not screenshots.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th October 2011 at 00:25.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 13:59   #6114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The Samsung Galaxy S2.
How does the battery hold up on the S2? Have heard it's the best among the current crop of Android flagships. True?
& has there been any change in price since i last checked - 30k?
Old 9th October 2011, 16:52   #6115
Senior - BHPian

Re: S-OFF ed my Desire! Thanks to Alpharev

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have successfully S-OFF ed by Desire. The procedure was kind of impulsive when I failed to replace a /system/app file with a custom one.
Rooted & S-OFF. I could now replace the built in file explorer in /system/app with a modded one with root browsing capabilities (Read/Write). What a relief!
Name:  shot_000001.png
Views: 788
Size:  98.2 KB

There are several modded apps for MIUI available. Going to try what interests me.

Recovery - ClockworkMod-Alpharev
Radio - 5.17.05.23
Kernel - 2.6.37.6-cyanogenmod

Last edited by clevermax : 9th October 2011 at 17:13.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 20:56   #6116
BANNED

In cars, we have a "standard" recommendation list - for tall drivers, it is Model X; for large families, it is model Y, for long distance drives, it is Z, for luxury off-roaders, it A, for reliability, it is B, in budgets bigger than INR NN, it is brand C ... bla bla.

Any such list / comparision between custom ROMs?
Old 9th October 2011, 22:43   #6117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
In cars, we have a "standard" recommendation list - for tall drivers, it is Model X; for large families, it is model Y, for long distance drives, it is Z, for luxury off-roaders, it A, for reliability, it is B, in budgets bigger than INR NN, it is brand C ... bla bla.
Any such list / comparision between custom ROMs?
Come across three types of ROMs so far
1) HTC Sense based - these are ROMs with a user experience which they call as Sense, which is simple and easy to use. Great built in dialer and decent email client. Some custom roms are also built based on Sense UI, like LeeDroid.
2) A big list of AOSP ROMs which are more or less similar and are very close to the original Android release. CM7 is worth mentioning. Performance is great but basic functionalities only. Stock dialer sucks, E-mail client sucks - it doesn't even have a BCC option for mails sent, quoted text goes as a separate attachment in IMAP configuration.
3) MIUI & its clones - iPhone copy but feels great to use, comes packed with features. Was having battery drain issues, which is not reported in the present day versions.

Recovery - ClockworkMod-Alpharev
Radio - 5.17.05.23
Kernel - 2.6.37.6-cyanogenmod

Last edited by clevermax : 9th October 2011 at 22:57.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 09:31   #6118
Senior - BHPian

hmm, so I spent Sunday moving from CM7 to MIUI to MS2Ginger. MIUI was slick but sub-par battery. Ginger lost only 8% battery in 10 hours overnight with Wifi connected.

Now this useless Google market is driving me up the wall. I cannot install a darned 30 KB Titanium Backup Pro key which is holding up the rest of the re-installation (over 2G or Wifi).

Unlike CM7/MIUI - in MS2Ginger, there is no "uninstall update" option! How do I get rid of this crap market forever? Mind you - I have paid for a handful of apps and I want them to be around/reinstallable via market later. Moving to AppBrain or other "market" softwares will take away that freedom, no?

Last edited by phamilyman : 10th October 2011 at 09:33.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 11:06   #6119
Senior - BHPian

to add to Clevermax -

Here are few custom roms i would suggest

Beginners - Litening6.1 - Easy to install and does wonder to battery life. I still cant imagine how this rom would work on the 2.3.5 knowing it gave more battery power in 2.3.4 itself.

Intermdediate - Batista2.7.1 - An excellent replacement to Litening and is constantly updated. Looks and feels great and comes with excellent font and theme. Requires a little care while installing and using.

A little more than Intermediate - LeoMar Revolution rom with Kitchen app - This is by far the best rom i have every used. Gives better than Litening battery life and has so much customization and options using the Kitchen App. Almost like picking a jar of pickels when you want some. The rom has 80 differnet fonts and dozens of kernals, themes, boot animations and what not. Once you are comfortable using the ODIN and are sure about recovery mode and not worried about 1000 of recovery restart, you should move to Leomar. The best ROM so far.

Adavnce -

CM7 - I never liked CM7 and my personal feeling is that, unless you are ready to keep upgrading roms based on nightly you should not give this a try. The stability and options and functions are still in the making and so it will take sometime before it stablizes.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 12:31   #6120
Senior - BHPian

@invisble.

Just to add to your post on SGS2 battery life in Leo ROM. Mine is at 40% after my usual two days of usage with full time sync after a day and 11hours. 35 hours and 60 % is atleast five time more than that i want

The leo rom is doing a great job. Do a couple of calibration and the idle battery usage is going down everytime. Specially with underclocked set cpu settings the battery usage gets even better

Just want to try a Kernal that gives UV support along with under clocking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks