Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 06:12   #6541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Beg my pardon sir, I do not agree your humble defy can even touch 2000. It has to be a corrupted defy with steroids. No pun intended, hope u got what i mean ;-). Galaxy s2 on steroids can go upto 4000+ i do not know much aboit the HTC.
So what if it is a corrupted defy? The fact is defy is fast!!
Old 10th November 2011, 08:31   #6542
BHPian

I just installed the latest version of CyanogenMod 7 on my one year old HTC Wildfire, and it's absolutely brilliant! The Mod comes with Android 2.3.7, which is a significant upgrade from the 2.2.1 HTC had officially released.

The phone, which used to lag and judder like crazy before (making it nigh unusable), is now running perfectly smooth.

Thanks to the option to change maximum and minimum CPU Clockspeed, and adjust the power governers, not only can I play many games (like Angry Birds) which I couldn't before, but my battery life on light usage has increased from 20 hours to 60 hours.

Heavy usage life hasn't been boosted as much. Still, 9 hours of extremely heavy usage to 15 hours is still pretty impressive.

Overall, CyanogenMod 7 has left me highly impressed, and is in my opinion, far superior to the stock HTC ROM.

I highly urge, not just HTC users, but anyone with an Android smartphone, once your phone is out of the warranty period, please root it and install a custom aftermarket ROM. They are far superior to what the cell phone companies officially release.

The only downsides, is the loss of HTC Sense, but what I gain makes the trade-off more than worth it.

If anyone needs help rooting their phones, especially HTC Wildfire users, please feel free to PM me.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:06   #6543
BHPian

Now that I'm done praising the virtues of rooting one's phone and aftermarket ROMS, let's get back to the discussion at hand, shall we?

In my opinion, Samsung is definitely the leader as far as hardware specifications are concerned.

Even last year, back when the two main high end phone's were the HTC Desire, and the Samsung Galaxy S, the Galaxy S outperformed the HTC in every CPU Score and 3D graphics game by a massive margin. It's AMOLED screen was far superior to the HTC's.
The only thing HTC had going for it was HTC Sense and a better design.

Fast forward to today, and Samsung still offers the best performance and specs for the least money.

TechRadar Top 20 lists the Samsung Galaxy S2 as the best mobile phone available today, leaving the HTC Sensation XE back at second place.
The Galaxy S2 is slightly cheaper than the Sensation XE as well.

Coming to Motorola and Sony Ericsson, the former has a very poor line up of models, most of which are quite outdated when compared to it's competition. Motorola still sells the Milestone with Android 2.1.

Sony Ericsson, used to be a complete joke, but with it's new line-up, has shown that it's taking the Android platform very seriously. Their new phones are, quite frankly amazing, especially the low end Xperia's.

The new Xperia Mini ST15i comes with a 1GHZ Qualcomm Scorpion Processor, in a phone that costs Rs.12,500!!!
The similarly priced HTC Wildfire S, comes with a measly 600mhz processor, at a price of Rs.13,000.
Kudos to Sony

The 5 main manufacturers for Android smartphones today are HTC, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG and Motorola.

Unfortunately, LG (the pioneer of dual-core phones btw) doesn't seem to be popular at all, or have a strong line-up. Motorola again lacks a strong line-up, while there phones are mostly outdated.
HTC, which was once my favourite (I have the old Wildfire), is charging ridiculous premiums that can't be justified.

All-in-all, if one wants to buy an Android smartphone today, their best options are Samsung and Sony Ericsson.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:35   #6544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Beg my pardon sir, I do not agree your humble defy can even touch 2000. It has to be a corrupted defy with steroids. No pun intended, hope u got what i mean ;-). Galaxy s2 on steroids can go upto 4000+ i do not know much aboit the HTC.
Hmm, I haven't added any kind of steroid over CM7. Check out my old score on the Defy: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post2379474 (Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods) Definitely above 2000.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:47   #6545
BHPian

IMHO HTC has a sturdy construction with a metallic body and feels more heavier. But HTC is expensive. The old wildfire had minimal features when compared to competition. Samsung galaxy ace was a show stopper giving HTC a run for its overpriced wildfire. Even the wildfire S comes with a 600mhz processor while samsung galaxy ace has a 800mhz processor + gpu with a bigger screen and better resolution as well. Samsung phones have no metal hence the build and feel is not as top notch as HTC. Samsung has the vfm factor.
Motorola is yet to catch up in the market. The phones are good but still fall at shame when plotted against Samsung.
Samsung needs to concenrate more on the design front. They lack cosmetic looks but have brains.
I am eagerly waiting for the nexus prime which will change the story of smartphones.
O.T.- Me also waiting for the lenovo A1 tablet. Specs seem pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Hmm, I haven't added any kind of steroid over CM7. Check out my old score on the Defy: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post2379474 (Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods) Definitely above 2000.
CM7 in itself is a steroid. I was pointing to a stock defy with blur et all bloatware could not reach the 2000-2500 mark.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th November 2011 at 10:53.
Old 10th November 2011, 11:47   #6546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
Gingerbread 2.3.5 is out officially for i9003. Updated it via KIES. hoping for a battery life boost
Well am still struggling to update my Galaxy S to gingerbread via KIES. i get some connection error. Not sure how to upgrade the phone and am frustrated.

can anyone help here?
Old 10th November 2011, 11:54   #6547
BHPian

I had tried MIUI, CM7 and came back to stock ROM on my HTC incredible (just for one reason that none of these custom ROMs support Internet Passthrough).

Came across one custom ROM which has Sense 3.5, tried out the same. It is based on 2.3.5 with HTC sense 3.5.Results look promising. Those who like to explore the same on HTC incredible S, can download the same from the link [5th Nov] Nik_IncredibleS_TriNiTy_SensationXL V 1.5 By Nikhil007 - xda-developers
Old 10th November 2011, 12:35   #6548
BHPian

People I need some help.

My I9003 is currently on the Arabic JPKP5 2.3.4

Now if I want to update to 2.3.5 from kies, what steps should I follow? or shall I directly install the 2.3.5 available on androidadvices?

Also I have been reading that 2.3.5 have some wifi issues and phones on restart loop?

Anvancy
Old 10th November 2011, 14:26   #6549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
I had tried MIUI, CM7 and came back to stock ROM on my HTC incredible (just for one reason that none of these custom ROMs support Internet Passthrough).

Came across one custom ROM which has Sense 3.5, tried out the same. It is based on 2.3.5 with HTC sense 3.5.Results look promising. Those who like to explore the same on HTC incredible S, can download the same from the link [5th Nov] Nik_IncredibleS_TriNiTy_SensationXL V 1.5 By Nikhil007 - xda-developers
For internet passthrough, you could have tried an alternate solution, that is making a Wi-Fi hotspot in your PC and let the phone connect to that, using Connectify.

On the other hand, MIUI has the option to set an internet proxy - you can connect to your office Wi-Fi directly and browse by setting this proxy.

I am sure you will come back to custom ROMs
Old 10th November 2011, 15:49   #6550
Senior - BHPian

Running Checkrom Revolution HD on SGS2 since quite sometime now. Have tried various kernel however recently installed Siyah 2.1.1 kernel which has the best balance between performance and battery life and was amazed to see some of the quadrant score at 1.2 Ghz got 6000+ score and at 1.4 ghz scored 7000+. Some others have got 8000+ score with overclocking to 1.6ghz.
On Stock kernel and speedmod kernel max would get around 4900 or so and an avg of 4300-4500.

Have to say Siyah kernel makes the device much more smoother than the other kernels and is quite battery friendly.
Attached Images

Old 10th November 2011, 19:20   #6551
Senior - BHPian

Guys need some help here. I have a Sony ericsson Xperia x10i, running on android 2.2.
I bought the phone in May 2010 and have had nothing but issues! First the phone kept getting switched off, had a software update, there was no improvement. Later SE changed the motherboard, again no improvement. Later they replaced the phone. Even after getting a new phone {the battery, covers are from the earlier phone} the phone switches off espcially whem I'm browsing. And add to this, it does not pick up the data connection, {the "E" symbol} by default. if you switch off, and switch it on it picks up the connection but the moment you get in to a parking lot where you do not have signal, and when you get back the mobile signal, the data signal does not come on. I have tried everything. Now my question is, do i spend another 500 bucks on software update and servicing or should I just sell the phone and go in for Iphone 3gs. I dont have th budget at the moment for an iphone 4.
Old 11th November 2011, 09:01   #6552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
For internet passthrough, you could have tried an alternate solution, that is making a Wi-Fi hotspot in your PC and let the phone connect to that, using Connectify.

On the other hand, MIUI has the option to set an internet proxy - you can connect to your office Wi-Fi directly and browse by setting this proxy.

I am sure you will come back to custom ROMs
well, I am trying out the Trinity ROM now. Seems good. Best thing is it has HTC Sense 3.5 with Android 2.3.5 and the developers are working towards integrating ICS.
Old 11th November 2011, 10:57   #6553
Senior - BHPian

I know I am a bit too late but I just updated my SE X10i to Ginger bread yesterday. I know it was officially available long back but dint do it becaue of many reasons.

Improvements over Eclair are -

1) Faster & much smoother
2) Cool timescape widget
3) Good photos & videos widget
4) Better Facebook integration, especially in phonebook
5) Updated Android Market
6) Better media player

Things that could have been better -

1) Still no 16M colours
2) No auto flash for camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Guys need some help here. I have a Sony ericsson Xperia x10i, running on android 2.2.
Even I have a X10. First of all, update to Android 2.3 & enjoy!

Quote:
And add to this, it does not pick up the data connection, {the "E" symbol} by default. if you switch off, and switch it on it picks up the connection but the moment you get in to a parking lot where you do not have signal, and when you get back the mobile signal, the data signal does not come on. I have tried everything.
This is not really an issue. it happens in my phone too.

You just have to simply turn off & turn on data. to make it simple, there is a widget in our phone - its called status switch. status switch has the shortcut for data on/off.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:02   #6554
BHPian

Got my Samsung Galaxy S II delivered by Flipkart yesterday. Have been playing with it continuously since then and absolutely love it. The screen is gorgeous and the phone is sooo slim and light weight. Have ordered a screen protector from Flipkart. Any other must have accessories that I need to get ?
Also, my phone is running on Android 2.3.3 and there are no updates for it in Kies. Isn't this a bit old version? I am not planning on rooting or installing any mods for now.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:28   #6555
Senior - BHPian

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks