Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 12:22   #676
Distinguished - BHPian

@ghpk, koushik: I think you guys can start a thread here too, and maybe mail them a link. Facebook, twitter also seem very good points to spread the word!

All the best!
Old 17th November 2010, 14:05   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
For some reason, i am not so enthusiastic on samsung vis-a-vis HTC.

Why can't we install after-market apps in aria? Could this be changed? If not, definitely it is a drawback.
Well, here are some more options in HTC. Desire, G2, MyTouch, Pure and Droid Eris.

Aria doesn't support after-market apps, so it can't be installed. There must be a work around by rooting it. But i am not too familiar with it.

You also have HD2, Evo if you like Windows based phones.

Brand New- HD2 on craigslist are going for as low as $250-$300. If you can get Desire, its a very good phone. It will support 2.2 and is much better.

See Aria vs Desire here: http://compare.setooz.com/compare/HTC+Desire/HTC+Aria

You have another option in name of HTC Hero. Here: http://compare.setooz.com/compare/HTC+Hero/HTC+Desire

And while you may not be too keen on Samsung, do take a look at Captivate/Galaxy S atleast once. One of the very good android phones on market with 2.2 support.

Last edited by chevelle : 17th November 2010 at 14:12.
Old 17th November 2010, 14:48   #678
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Quick update.

I bought the Moto Quench XT3. MRP on the box was 14990/-, but Croma price was 12990/-. I got a Adidas Jacket with it worth 2299/- (Price printed on the Adidas Tag) and 4 movie ticket vouchers (Offer from motorola). Also exchanged a 1.5 year Old Samsung Slider Phone for 1500/-.

All this done at Croma next to Bangalore Central Jayanagar area.

As for the phone, I loved it. I checked the HTC Wildfire (Lil too wide for one hand operation for smaller hands, low resolution screen), Galaxy-3 (Smaller screen with lower resloution, felt too basic compared to the Moto), X10/X10 Pro (screen too small), LG Optimus (comes with And1.6, felt dated, couldn't convince my better half to buy a LG SmartPhone ). The SE X8 was not in stock at Croma and the Sales team didn't know if LG Optimus-1 existed.
We've had 4 Moto phones and all have served us well, so trusting the brand was not an issue.

Hope this helps potential buyers!
Old 17th November 2010, 15:39   #679
Senior - BHPian

^^^Congrats!

But the price you paid does not seem good. Its cheaper even on Flipkart. How is the Jacket by the way? Does it seem to be worth the price?

Does it have Android 2.1 pre-installed?

Hope you will consider writing a review. There are hardly any user reviews on the Quench yet. :(
Old 17th November 2010, 16:02   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey Guys,

Quick update.

I bought the Moto Quench XT3. MRP on the box was 14990/-, but Croma price was 12990/-. I got a Adidas Jacket with it worth 2299/- (Price printed on the Adidas Tag) and 4 movie ticket vouchers (Offer from motorola). Also exchanged a 1.5 year Old Samsung Slider Phone for 1500/-.

All this done at Croma next to Bangalore Central Jayanagar area.

As for the phone, I loved it. I checked the HTC Wildfire (Lil too wide for one hand operation for smaller hands, low resolution screen), Galaxy-3 (Smaller screen with lower resloution, felt too basic compared to the Moto), X10/X10 Pro (screen too small), LG Optimus (comes with And1.6, felt dated, couldn't convince my better half to buy a LG SmartPhone ). The SE X8 was not in stock at Croma and the Sales team didn't know if LG Optimus-1 existed.
We've had 4 Moto phones and all have served us well, so trusting the brand was not an issue.

Hope this helps potential buyers!
Only issue with this mobile is a 1000mAh battery which is too less for a smart phone, compared to Galaxy 3 which is 1500mAh battery.
Old 17th November 2010, 16:13   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Congrats!

But the price you paid does not seem good. Its cheaper even on Flipkart. How is the Jacket by the way? Does it seem to be worth the price?

Does it have Android 2.1 pre-installed?

Hope you will consider writing a review. There are hardly any user reviews on the Quench yet. :(
Thanks a lot buddy!

I beg to differ on the price part though. Rs12990 (I saw Flipkart has it listed for 12499/-, difference of 500 only) - 1500(exchange price, Sangeeta quoted 500/-) = 11490/- is good as per me. I have used the Google Nexus One some time ago and the phone feels the same in the hand (Nexus costed 25k then), performance still to be tested over a period of time.

It does come with 2.1 preinstalled!

The Jacket is decent and wearable unlike cheap knock-off with Brand names Printed that we get as free with other Brands (The Photon Branded Laptop Bag for E.g.). The Adidas jacket is 100% polyester with a net lining in White with Black stripes on shoulder and sleeves.

I will try to review it but this may take sometime, since the phone will not be used by me primarily. However any and all questions are welcome. PM me if need be.

Last edited by Zenster : 17th November 2010 at 16:28.
Old 17th November 2010, 16:50   #682
BHPian

Diesel got Androided

So Finally I changed my 2.5 years old e61i to Galaxy 3. Galxy S was the ultimate choice but I wanted to play around with Android to see if I like it and that's why bought the cheaper option. It's a very good phone for the price, checked Quench XT3 as well but wifey and freinds did not have a lot of confidence in Moto ( especially A.S.S. ) so went for Samsung as both more or less same in specs apart from Led Flash which comes along with Quench.

Got it from Jumbo Electronics at TGIP for 11.9 K and got Reebock watch worth 2.5Kfree, which I think is a fair deal.

Now questions, does anyone know if there is an app for Microsoft Office Coounicator ( popularily known as OCS ).
Old 17th November 2010, 16:54   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Quick update.

Galaxy-3 (Smaller screen with lower resloution, felt too basic compared to the Moto), X10/X10 Pro (screen too small), LG Optimus (comes with And1.6, felt dated, couldn't convince my better half to buy a LG SmartPhone ). The SE X8 was not in stock at Croma and the Sales team didn't know if LG Optimus-1 existed.
Buddy any pointers on X10 price in Croma,also are they in resale business since you exchanged your old fone?
Old 17th November 2010, 17:17   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratos11 View Post
Buddy any pointers on X10 price in Croma,also are they in resale business since you exchanged your old fone?
Hey Kratos, my apologeez pal. The above statement was for X10 MINI and X10 MINI Pro. My Bad!

The X10 was priced around 26,800/- at Croma. It is thicker and heavier than competition (read Galaxy-S and Desire) and it runs 1.6. One of my colleagues has the X10 and the other has Galaxy-S, and both Vouch that Galaxy-S is a better buy!

I hope my pointers are of some help and have not gotten you more confused
Old 17th November 2010, 17:38   #685
BHPian

Quote:

The X10 was priced around 26,800/- at Croma. It is thicker and heavier than competition (read Galaxy-S and Desire) and it runs 1.6. One of my colleagues has the X10 and the other has Galaxy-S, and both Vouch that Galaxy-S is a better buy!
Thanks buddy.

The Galaxy S definitely is better in many respect but it looks & feels very similar to my current mobile Samsung Star which is ~2 yrs old.
Moreover I had a bad experience with the A.s.s.,got its screen changed once in warranty (touchscreen freezed,mobile returned after 2 months since the screen was in short supply ) ,software flashed 2 times and small niggling issues like call not getting disconnected,home screen hanging
Hence this time planning to go with SE
Old 17th November 2010, 17:59   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot buddy!

I beg to differ on the price part though. Rs12990 (I saw Flipkart has it listed for 12499/-, difference of 500 only) - 1500(exchange price, Sangeeta quoted 500/-) = 11490/- is good as per me. I have used the Google Nexus One some time ago and the phone feels the same in the hand (Nexus costed 25k then), performance still to be tested over a period of time.

It does come with 2.1 preinstalled!

The Jacket is decent and wearable unlike cheap knock-off with Brand names Printed that we get as free with other Brands (The Photon Branded Laptop Bag for E.g.). The Adidas jacket is 100% polyester with a net lining in White with Black stripes on shoulder and sleeves.

I will try to review it but this may take sometime, since the phone will not be used by me primarily. However any and all questions are welcome. PM me if need be.
Thanks so much for the info.

I realise it will take time to give a proper review, but would really appreciate your comments on some v basic issues which matter most like touch screen response, battery life, GPS experience, sound clarity of calls and MP3 of speakers and thru headphones, camera quality, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseled View Post
So Finally I changed my 2.5 years old e61i to Galaxy 3. Galxy S was the ultimate choice but I wanted to play around with Android to see if I like it and that's why bought the cheaper option. It's a very good phone for the price, checked Quench XT3 as well but wifey and freinds did not have a lot of confidence in Moto ( especially A.S.S. ) so went for Samsung as both more or less same in specs apart from Led Flash which comes along with Quench.
Well, I'v had a reasonable experience with Moto ***. But that was in the past. Don't know how it is like now. In fact, when I last visited, few months ago, I discovered they have shut down most service centers. Only one was operational in Poona. But now that they are back in the Indian market, I'd expect them to have more service centers.

And as you can see, people have been having issues with Samsung service too.

As for my experience with Nokia, its like one real long wait. You take a token and sit in a waiting room for like an hour until your number comes (like in banks in pre-historic times ). Then you get to speak to one of their rep. about the issue. And they will do NOTHING on the spot even if its minor. You have to leave the phone with them; and when you come again you repeat the cycle of sitting with a token until your number comes and you can collect your thing from the next available rep.

Well, that has been my experience. May of course vary from place to place.
Old 17th November 2010, 18:59   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy.

The Galaxy S definitely is better in many respect but it looks & feels very similar to my current mobile Samsung Star which is ~2 yrs old.
Moreover I had a bad experience with the A.s.s.,got its screen changed once in warranty (touchscreen freezed,mobile returned after 2 months since the screen was in short supply ) ,software flashed 2 times and small niggling issues like call not getting disconnected,home screen hanging
Hence this time planning to go with SE
I would actually recommend the X10 over the galaxy now, especially after the update.

Specs on paper are not just everything. I have compared both the phones side by side & the X10 just feels better in the way it works! i mean, the whole UI, the graphics, everything is very stylistically put together. so i enjoy using the X10 more.

Main thing that worked for me in favour of X10 was it's better cam & better service support of SE compared to Samsung.
Old 17th November 2010, 22:14   #688
BHPian

As per the technology site techtree.com the next big thing in android mid range will be the LG smartphone running Google Android Froyo - Optimus One.
"LG claims to have sold over 1 million Optimus One handsets worldwide. It's been hardly 40 days since its launch in Europe, Asia-Pacific and U.S. markets. Optimus One is powered with Android 2.2 Froyo update by default which is a good enough reason for users to buy the mid-range smartphone.
LG Optimus One P500 has 600MHz microprocessor and sports a 3.2-inch (320x480) large capacitive touchscreen. This phone offers Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, FM Radio and 1500mAh battery. The best feature of this smartphone is that it is Froyo ready and ships with it.
When LG Optimus One arrives in India hopefully this weekend, it will compete with Samsung Galaxy 3 GT-i5801 and Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini in the Android smartphones for around Rs. 12,000-Rs. 14,000 price segment. "
Old 17th November 2010, 22:30   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseled View Post
Now questions, does anyone know if there is an app for Microsoft Office Coounicator ( popularily known as OCS ).

Found it myself on Android Forums - "Office Talk Free", works like a charm. Life ( supposedly ) will be much easier now.
Old 17th November 2010, 23:38   #690
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the late reply friends, was out of town for a couple of days!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Same here.

But if the screen it set to max brightness, it takes up a lot of power. also, some games, especially Angry birds (!!!) suck up the battery like anything. Calls & normal usage does not affect the battery life much.

by the way, have you installed any apps? any good apps to share?
Yes, max brightness setting will suck the battery badly since it is a large 4" screen. But to be honest, full brightness hurts my eyes! for me, brightness is actually a step or two higher than the half! Good enough for me to enjoy the uber cool blue interface of X10!

About the apps, I can enlist what do I have on my phone.

Though I can root my phone easily and can get into doing tricky modifications, I just don't bother with all that stuff. Partially because I don't have spare time from my studies, and secondly, may be those of my days are over when I used to try these things just for the sake of it!

Anyway, list of apps -

1. Astro File Manager - really good file managing app
2. Adobe Reader - no prize for guessing!
3. Angry Birds - Read the comment above! haha...
4. Asphalt HD - Again, a cool game with decent graphics.
5. Automatic Task Killer - to take care of stuff running in background
6. Cam Scanner - beautiful app!
7. Chess - a pretty good time pass game
8. Documents to go - a must for me, enables me to create, read and edit office documents on my phone!
9. Google package - including maps, voice recorder, gtalk, gmail, translate, goggles etc etc.
10. Handcent SMS - hands down, best sms app for android
11. Amazon Kindle - every body knows it!
12. Labyrinth - an amazingly addictive game, I am a fan since my iPhone 3G days!
13. Midnight Bowling 2 - another cool game
14. Opera Mini - replacement for default web browser
15. Adobe Photoshop Express
16. Shazam - another must have!
17. Skype - parents love it that I have it on my phone!!!
18. Touch Pool - another timepass game
19. Unblock Me - Puzzle game, just like Labyrinth I am having it on my phone since my iPhone 3G days!
20. Vignette - Best Cam application for X10 (IMO). Just love the timelapse feature and photo quality is much better!
21. Winamp - needs no introduction!
22. XDA app - for their forum! Wish TBHP had similar app for android and iOS! Mods, are you listening?
23. Yahoo package - Ymail and Ymessenger!

Should be good enough for now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
That's great, Ace. But is Background Data enabled or disabled on your phone? ie are there any mail or other accounts on auto sync? Coz i don't see an Edge or 3G icon on the taskbar.
Hello JayD, yes I do have 3G ('H' in case of Android 2.1 on my X10) on my phone. But the I keep automatic syncing off, partially because it saps battery, and partially because I don't like spending a lot of time on Facebook and others during day time! I check my mails and facebook once in the morning and then, in the evening! Trust me, if I was getting all facebook updates instantaneously, I would have spent at least couple of hours everyday on facebook replying people and commenting on their status... lol!

All the settings I have, my phone easily churns out 2 days of battery backup! If I treat my phone as 'Nokia 1100' for making calls and sending texts, 3-4 days are not surprising!

Quote:
Raj/Ace

Since you guys are using X10 for quite a while & upgraded to 2.1 did the screen resolution changed to 16M colors now?
Also is X10 capable of 2.2 update coz of its hardware limition of 384 MB RAM as against the minimum 512 required ?

Any other worhwhile improvements seen in 2.1 upgrade as compared to 1.6 ?
Sorry for some really noob questions, I'm novice in the Andriod arena
Hello Kratos11, Raj has already answered your query but I can add a few more points.

It all depends how to perceive a couple of things about Xperia X10. Frankly, if you can spot a difference in X10's 65000 colors screen and any other phone's 16 million colors screen, you are the man!!! I can't spot it, X10 screen looks as sharp and as crisp that I fail to understand the fuss behind retina display of iPhone 4 (Even though I understand iPhone 4 display is slightly better in certain aspects).

No word from SE about 2.2 update, though they have announced that they are going to enable Multi-Touch in their next update for X10. Read this -

Work Ongoing on Pinch Zoom for Xperia X10 | Product Launch Blog

As far as I understand X10's memory, it has 256MB RAM with 128MB dedicated for better graphics! So, thats how it is a total of 384MB. As said above, no word from SE about froyo update, but Developers are spending a lot of time cracking the X10 bootloader and are very close to success! Once that is done, cook your own ROM and enjoy it on your X10.

My honest advice, if you are a type of guy willing to buy something for big numbers such as 16 million colors and 2.2 or 2.3 Android, DO NOT buy Xperia X10. Sony will just disappoint you constantly. However, if you take the X10 as it is, it is a really cool looking and smooth functioning phone and will NOT disappoint you in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
Alright guys, i got lucky today . I managed to download 2.1 on my XPERIA X10. And to be honest i am very impressed with 2.1 . Lots of bugs have been fixed and its way too easy to use now . I love the live wallpapers being supplied. All i need is that software " Andwobble" which will enable me to make normal photos as live. I was that much close to sell my XPERIA. Now i think i can compete with galaxy owner.
Congrats Car-e-ok, enjoy your X10 even more now! And by the way, I don't believe SGS and X10 have any competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I would actually recommend the X10 over the galaxy now, especially after the update.

Specs on paper are not just everything. I have compared both the phones side by side & the X10 just feels better in the way it works! i mean, the whole UI, the graphics, everything is very stylistically put together. so i enjoy using the X10 more.

Main thing that worked for me in favour of X10 was it's better cam & better service support of SE compared to Samsung.
Rightly said Raj, X10 may not be the best on paper, it works like a charm in reality. That being said, SGS attracts a whole different type of customers than X10! To me, SGS's interface is a big turn off! Looks like a cheap replica of iPhone.

Most Viewed