Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 17:05   #6976
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
SL is a decent phone and VFM. Superb 4 inch screen. There ends the goodies, very little support on XDA. Latest rom is 2.3.6 Gingerbread from samfirmware. Looks like that the end of the road for this device. Dont think it will get ICS.
Exactly. And to add to that have come across posts on FB where people are ruing after updating SL with Gingerbread. Too bad, Neo v has too many issues. Else it would have been a great buy in that price range.
Have decided to hold on for a month or so. Hoping Samsung and others roll out androids with ICS soon for around 18k.
Old 12th December 2011, 17:12   #6977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Exactly. And to add to that have come across posts on FB where people are ruing after updating SL with Gingerbread. Too bad, Neo v has too many issues. Else it would have been a great buy in that price range.
Have decided to hold on for a month or so. Hoping Samsung and others roll out androids with ICS soon for around 18k.
Then you know the simple solution.
Motorola defy. does everything SL does except front video calling.
Old 12th December 2011, 17:36   #6978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Then you know the simple solution.
Motorola defy. does everything SL does except front video calling.
From what i infer, Defy is the best when one roots the phone and use custom roms. I am not open to that idea, atleast not yet. In that case i will be left with Froyo which is not a very appreciated version.
With a budget of around 18k, don't want to consider Defy+ which is virtually the same as Defy.
Old 12th December 2011, 18:00   #6979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From what i infer, Defy is the best when one roots the phone and use custom roms. I am not open to that idea, atleast not yet. In that case i will be left with Froyo which is not a very appreciated version.
With a budget of around 18k, don't want to consider Defy+ which is virtually the same as Defy.
I was in exactly the same situation some time back and after buying a defy, thanks to Phamilyman and Samurai, life has changed - Now running WajKIUI and enjoying it.

I was scared to even do a simple root job

Check out the XDA forum and one gets addicted
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 18:29   #6980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I was in exactly the same situation some time back and after buying a defy, thanks to Phamilyman and Samurai, life has changed - Now running WajKIUI and enjoying it.

I was scared to even do a simple root job

Check out the XDA forum and one gets addicted
Aren't you facing any problems with custom roms ? I am not able to recall from where, but i read that it compromises on a few features and stuff. It freezes, less battery life and so on and so forth. Above all loss of warranty.

Last edited by karty_83 : 12th December 2011 at 18:31.
Old 12th December 2011, 18:31   #6981
Distinguished - BHPian

Any SE x10 users?
I cant get into xrecovery after my last flash.
it was wolf's ULBLdoom.
Old 12th December 2011, 19:36   #6982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I am a total newbie in this. So damn scared of moving on to another ROM. One of my friends on SGS shifted to custom ROM and lost the ability of calling .

I went through the XDA for this phone but did not encounter the stable GingerBread release, let alone ICE. But, I guess, its time for me to shift to custom ROM now
Please PM me when you plan to switch. there are known issues with some roms which you need to avoid.i'll direct you to a stable release .

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Even though XDA is the developers paradise for most of the smartphones. it isn't for the ZTE blade/XCD 35 . most of the threads are copied over from modaco.where all of the developers actually are.

ZTE Blade / Libra ROMs & ROM customisation - Android @ MoDaCo
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 22:21   #6983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aren't you facing any problems with custom roms ? I am not able to recall from where, but i read that it compromises on a few features and stuff. It freezes, less battery life and so on and so forth. Above all loss of warranty.
I switched over to custom rom after staying stock for a couple of months. The stock one had stability issues and I wasn't too happy.
The custom rom is much more stable and offers more features infact.
Unfortunately there is too much content out there to read and understand. This makes the whole thing so overwhelming for the less technically inclined like us.

All, in all, you won't lose anything (you can reload your stock ROM and reclaim your warranty if need be) by switching to custom roms.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 22:27   #6984
BANNED

Hi all i am looking to buy a android phone and i am a nokia user from 2000.i dont have any idea on which phone is good in the market,but i know which brand is doing good.

please suggest a phone for me,my priorities are GOOD battery life and easy to use interface
I went to few shops and reviewed gsmarena but couldn come to a conclusion. some say htc wildfire/desire is best,some xperia arc and some say samsung galaxys/s2/plus and one said LG Optimus 2x has best battery backup.

Am totally confused but i am clear that i will not buy LG.

i do lots of calls , sms'es ,browse (including wifi)and need twitter and FB applications (guess they are available by default?)

to give an idea in 2.5 years my 5800 has been used for 700 hours.
Old 12th December 2011, 22:40   #6985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi all i am looking to buy a android phone and i am a nokia user from 2000.i dont have any idea on which phone is good in the market,but i know which brand is doing good.
Everything depends on what your budget is my friend. So let us know what your budget is and am sure guys in this forum can help you.
Old 12th December 2011, 23:10   #6986
Senior - BHPian

guys I have bad news sgs2 users, there is a know issue where the phone goes into flight mode in the middle of the call, this is not a hardware issue and some online forums say it will be fixed by a firmware upgrade. This issue is very intermittent and cannot be replicated in front of the samsung techs, this started recently after i used the flight mode once for some time. the samsung techs are saying they will first flash the rom then will replace the main board if things are still bad. So i suggest you guys wait till the ICS 4.0 comes out, hope these bugs are sorted out.

Pramod
Old 13th December 2011, 04:55   #6987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please dig up wherever you read that. again.
There are two things -
a. stable custom ROMs
b. nightly (test) builds. If you use the latter, then occasionally you may have issues. with CM7 defy there was rarely such an issue (only wifi was unstable in some builds).

if u install the stable builds, there's no such issue. if u read what everyone's said - reinstalling OEM software = 10min job. Bang - there's your warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Please PM me when you plan to switch. there are known issues with some roms which you need to avoid.i'll direct you to a stable release .

Even though XDA is the developers paradise for most of the smartphones. it isn't for the ZTE blade/XCD 35 . most of the threads are copied over from modaco.where all of the developers actually are.

ZTE Blade / Libra ROMs & ROM customisation - Android @ MoDaCo
Thanks a ton - i didn't know that.

plus this whole gen1/2 business is scary. thankfully defy has it rather simple
Old 13th December 2011, 10:17   #6988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Too bad, Neo v has too many issues.
What problems does Neo V have ? I was eyeing it too, but now have decided to hold off. Nokia Lumia 710 is expected to be in the same price range though.
Old 13th December 2011, 11:12   #6989
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tried their hands on removing a network lock? I have an Xperia X8 with me which is locked to some network in the UK. Any recommended methods, tools?
Old 13th December 2011, 11:39   #6990

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
guys I have bad news sgs2 users, there is a know issue where the phone goes into flight mode in the middle of the call, this is not a hardware issue and some online forums say it will be fixed by a firmware upgrade. This issue is very intermittent and cannot be replicated in front of the samsung techs, this started recently after i used the flight mode once for some time. the samsung techs are saying they will first flash the rom then will replace the main board if things are still bad. So i suggest you guys wait till the ICS 4.0 comes out, hope these bugs are sorted out.

Pramod
Not sure if thats what happening to me but last night just to save battery i used the flight mode in my new SGS2 but since then my phone keeps showing no service intermittently unless i restart it!

Most Viewed