Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2011, 14:22   #7156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
He he..one of my uncles calls up and he wants my opinion about these two only... hence the question :P I told him about xcd and lg models also but he is so particular about Sammy & HTC.
Meh. when someone asks for an advice, they must be ready to get what the other person is giving (for free!). so ask them to go to a chroma and see the phones for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
Guys, my 1.5 yrs old Motorola Milestone has bricked. Now I am in urgent need of an android device to replace the milestone. Considering my budget, I have shortlisted the following:
1. LG Optimus 2x - Rs 19,900
2. Samsung Galaxy R - Rs 20,900
The Galaxy R looks great on all counts but doesn't have gorilla glass protection, so easy scratches are almost certain.
I am more inclined towards the Optimus 2x but online reviews say that the in-call volume is rather low even at the highest setting. If this is not an issue, I am going to place my order right away. Can owners comment on this?
I look forward to quick replies.
pm vcash (optimus 2x). re the gorilla glass - its ok - people have managed phones without gorilla glass for years. but if u use your phones roughly, then lgo2x will do. frankly both phones are way more horsepower than most apps will need. so chill.
ps; use the letsbuy 5%/1000 buck off coupon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
New models are always around the corner. Right now, there is a SIII going to be announced in Q1 2012. It boasts of a Quad Core Exynos processor and a 720p screen. Expect it to be announced in the Mobile World Congress to be held in Barcelona (Feb 27th to March 1st).
http://www.fudzilla.com/mobiles/item...i-coming-in-q1
That sounds like a Galaxy-S-2-Much. What will one do with such a fast n strong processor? run protein folding simulations? find a cancer cure? The phones today are very fast (esp SII) - what we need is MUCH better battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOn View Post
I am in the same dilemma as you. Samsung Galaxy R looks more promising with more RAM, better branding, more battery life and stock software being better.

Only concern is that Developer scene regarding Custom ROMS and rooting is very less in case of Galaxy R. Could anyone confirm whether Galaxy R with its own forum on XDA would help in fast development of Custom ROMS such as Cynogenmod, MIUI ?
As of now, there's no custom ROMs. More than forums, you need THAT ONE/TWO/... hackers who will do the job. For motorola defy - there are 51k CM7 users and prolly 50% more across other ROMs - but there are only 10 total active hardcore develoeprs (3-4 for CM7, one for WajkiUI, one for MS2Ginger etc etc). 1 hardcore developer >>>> any forums or millions of end users. Quarx was the guy who singlehandedly ported CM7 on defy and from thereon, it was a flood of custom ROMs & variants.

So in short, there is ZERO assurance - suggest you consult your friendly neighborhood tarot card reader, they may have an idea!

Last edited by phamilyman : 27th December 2011 at 14:27.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 16:07   #7157
BHPian

I am looking for a mid level Android phone for my wife. I don't need a big display. I already have S2. So no more samsung. What other options do i have? Budget is around 20K. HTC Desire S? Are there any Sony phones in that range? What about Defy+? Is it too big?
Old 27th December 2011, 16:52   #7158
Senior - BHPian

The defy is primarily designed for one handed usage, and is fairly compact given its screen size - it fits just nicely in one hand. You should get it around 15-16k. Though my suggestion would be the LG O2X - its dual core - more future proof!
Old 27th December 2011, 18:16   #7159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19
Guys, my 1.5 yrs old Motorola Milestone has bricked. Now I am in urgent need of an android device to replace the milestone....
I was also in the same situtation. Finally got the R. It has a better screen, better battery and more ROM. LG 2X is a developers dream but would not be good for everyday use. Samsung also confirmed that the R would be getting the ICS update. It is an awesome phone, using it for 2 days now. It is also very slim and good to hold compared to the 2X. Looks like a younger brother to the SII. Go for it.
Old 27th December 2011, 21:38   #7160
BHPian

My question in post #7151 is still unanswered. As reported by many online reviews, does the LG Optimus 2x have poor in call quality? Any existing owners, please comment.
Old 27th December 2011, 23:34   #7161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I am looking for a mid level Android phone for my wife. I don't need a big display. I already have S2. So no more samsung. What other options do i have? Budget is around 20K. HTC Desire S? Are there any Sony phones in that range? What about Defy+? Is it too big?
Look at SE Xperia Ray. Packs in pretty solid HW (same as Arc), amazing screen (almost same pixel density as iphone's retina display), great camera and SE assurance of ICS updation and above all, a fashion statement (might mean a lot for you wife?)

All for about 18k. I say look no further.
Old 27th December 2011, 23:51   #7162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
My question in post #7151 is still unanswered. As reported by many online reviews, does the LG Optimus 2x have poor in call quality? Any existing owners, please comment.
The best would be to go to some store where they have a demo unit which you can test or check if some dealer allows you to open the box and check it. I have seen Hotspot people opening the box and showing Samsung phones to people. With so many sites reporting multiple issues with Optimus 2X and no advantages over Galaxy R other than the camera and gorilla glass, the best option would be to get the Galaxy R and use a screen guard!
Old 28th December 2011, 12:27   #7163
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
I was also in the same situtation. Finally got the R. It has a better screen, better battery and more ROM. LG 2X is a developers dream but would not be good for everyday use. Samsung also confirmed that the R would be getting the ICS update. It is an awesome phone, using it for 2 days now. It is also very slim and good to hold compared to the 2X. Looks like a younger brother to the SII. Go for it.
Where did you buy it and do you mind the price?

Does it have led flash for camera
Old 28th December 2011, 14:38   #7164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Where did you buy it and do you mind the price?

Does it have led flash for camera
Joshguy, I got it from Indiaplaza for 19500. It is available for 18989 at Sulekha mobiles.
It has a LED flash for camera.
Old 29th December 2011, 20:58   #7165
BHPian

Recently i installed Sygic in my samsung phone. Still getting used to it though. Anyone here has bought it? I liked it because it can be used without internet.
Old 30th December 2011, 09:41   #7166
BANNED

Any opinions on the GO Dialer EX?
Old 30th December 2011, 10:03   #7167
Senior - BHPian

Foursquare users in Mumbai

Hello all,

Just wanted to understand, how many of you are using Foursquare app on your smart phone? I am on the lookout to connect with Tbhpians in Mumbai (and other areas)

PS: Searched, but could not find a dedicated thread for the same.
Old 30th December 2011, 10:07   #7168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Any opinions on the GO Dialer EX?
its good.
does everything as it says, reasonably faster than touchpal, extensive themes.
try the whole suite, launcher, keyboard etc.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:52   #7169
BHPian

Downloaded the Kolaveri video (and added FLV extension to the downloaded file) to my LG Optimus One and am not able to play it with the default Video Player on the handset.

Can someone please suggest a good FLV player for android 2.2?
Old 30th December 2011, 12:42   #7170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Downloaded the Kolaveri video (and added FLV extension to the downloaded file) to my LG Optimus One and am not able to play it with the default Video Player on the handset.

Can someone please suggest a good FLV player for android 2.2?
Moboplayer with the arm6 codec pack

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks