Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 13:17   #7411
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
To the users of Galaxy S2, there is an official update flashed on the Kies from Samsung. I suppose its the 2.3.6 one. I was unable to update mine, has anyone done it successfully?
I have already received the official update to 2.3.6 OTA over wi-fi BUT it is for the cdma version of Galaxy S2 and not gsm.

Name:  SC20120118130221.png
Views: 400
Size:  50.5 KB
Old 18th January 2012, 13:23   #7412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Can you clarify how much exactly are you getting on Defy now? My wifey's Defy gives 1.5 days on an average with full time Exchange sync and average usage.
the last couple of days ive been getting just about 15 hours of usage untill the battery is pretty much ready to die. I uninstalled BeWeather, maybe that will help. My data is on constantly (Edge, not 3G) and maybe above average usage (texting, some internet, a few calls here and there..but the calls are of longer duration).
Old 18th January 2012, 13:28   #7413
Senior - BHPian

Consider a HTC?

Sense is sense. Touchwiz is pretty much the same boat as Motoblur (i.e not fun).

All these phones are fast enough. Either the R for the bleeding edge hardware, or a HTC for the interface as well as the build. boy do the sensation, wildfireS or the chacha look "nicer" than samsung brethren!

/who has rediscovered love for his old E63 but realises the OS/apps etc are a hopelessly lost cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I'm looking to upgrade to a mid-range android. Looking at Galaxy S Plus and Galaxy R as of now. Need some advice on these.. I have read all the comparos available on the web, still not able to decide.

This is what I have gathered so far.
Forget that - hold both. buy the one that feels nicer to hold/use.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 13:29   #7414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
the last couple of days ive been getting just about 15 hours of usage untill the battery is pretty much ready to die. I uninstalled BeWeather, maybe that will help. My data is on constantly (Edge, not 3G) and maybe above average usage (texting, some internet, a few calls here and there..but the calls are of longer duration).
Usage seems similar to that of the Defy I told you about. Is there any suspicious data usage? You can try installing a firewall (droidwall or enetraffic) and switch off data access to applications that you don't think data is needed. I suspect some app in the background is taking too much cpu/data and hence high battery consumption. If that doesn't work out, try out a battery calibration if rooted.
Old 18th January 2012, 13:59   #7415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Consider a HTC?

Sense is sense. Touchwiz is pretty much the same boat as Motoblur (i.e not fun).

All these phones are fast enough. Either the R for the bleeding edge hardware, or a HTC for the interface as well as the build. boy do the sensation, wildfireS or the chacha look "nicer" than samsung brethren!

/who has rediscovered love for his old E63 but realises the OS/apps etc are a hopelessly lost cause.

Forget that - hold both. buy the one that feels nicer to hold/use.
Thanks phamilyman. I did go around the shops in Indiranagar, couldn't get to see an S Plus ( Chroma/Ezone/Sangeetha/Spice/Girias). I liked the R, but then liked the S2 even more :-( .
I tried the Sensation too, but didn't really spend much time as I was all focused on Samsung ! And for some reason, none of them (except Sangeetha) had a demo unit of Galaxy Note.
Old 18th January 2012, 14:11   #7416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Is yours the G version?

wow 20 ~ 30%. I should give it a try then. You haven't rooted your Galaxy S2 right?
If by G you mean GSM, then yes.

Nope, not rooted. The app has various modes in it, I use the intelligent mode. The downside to this mode is that the GPRS data transfer takes place only when the screen is being accessed Thus stopping the background data transfers when the screen is off, which results in energy saving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I have already received the official update to 2.3.6 OTA over wi-fi BUT it is for the cdma version of Galaxy S2 and not gsm.
Well, mine is GSM, and still it was displayed in my KIES. What are the improvements introduced by Samsung in 2.3.6 for S2? Also, how did you update it over wi-fi? The Settings -> About phone -> Software Update NEVER works for me!

Last edited by _raVan_ : 18th January 2012 at 14:13.
Old 18th January 2012, 14:22   #7417
BHPian

Quote:
If by G you mean GSM, then yes.

Nope, not rooted. The app has various modes in it, I use the intelligent mode. The downside to this mode is that the GPRS data transfer takes place only when the screen is being accessed Thus stopping the background data transfers when the screen is off, which results in energy saving.

Well, mine is GSM, and still it was displayed in my KIES. What are the improvements introduced by Samsung in 2.3.6 for S2? Also, how did you update it over wi-fi? The Settings -> About phone -> Software Update NEVER works for me!
No by G i mean i9100 or i9100G.

Samsung selling GT-I9100G as GT-I9100 in India (crappier hardware version of Galaxy S II)
AvinashV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 14:50   #7418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing major on improvements side except perhaps slightly zippier and slight improvement in battery life. CDMA phones (US versions) always get OTA's over wi-fi which I presume never happens for the gsm (read Indian) versions. They are displayed automatically as and when they are pushed from the backend US servers. No need to even check in software update.

Last edited by dkaile : 18th January 2012 at 14:52.
Old 18th January 2012, 15:07   #7419
BHPian

Hi guys, what charger do you use to charge the phone in car? Any reliable brand available on the internet? Also, do you use any phone holders that are put on the dash? I am not looking for very expensive ones but just the one ones that would do the job reliably.
Old 18th January 2012, 15:13   #7420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Hi guys, what charger do you use to charge the phone in car? Any reliable brand available on the internet? Also, do you use any phone holders that are put on the dash? I am not looking for very expensive ones but just the one ones that would do the job reliably.
Hi Shipnil,

Am using a Belkin charger in my car. Bought from eBay for some 200 Rs. It does the job pretty well. Ratings are same as my SE OE charger. 5V 1A. But I feel it charges slower than OE one. Here's a link to one listing

BELKIN MICRO USB CAR CHARGER UNIVERSAL USB CHARGER FOR MOBILES MP3 PLAYERS | eBay
Old 18th January 2012, 15:29   #7421
Distinguished - BHPian

Got sent here from the general mobiles thread, because I am thinking of buying a Defy+. You know how it is on busy forums: somebody says, "Oh, go thread 'B' - there's lots of people there in the know about that." ...and when going to thread 'B,' We find hundreds of pages and many thousands of posts! Then, when we ask our question, the people who have been around that thread for ages wonder why we didn't find the info for ourselves!

Well, that's the preamble, because joining this thread feels almost like joining a whole new forum, as it is so big, and the whole subject of Android is new to me.

So, "Hi, guys," and please be gentle with your "new member." I subscribed to the thread a few days ago, and have started following the posts to begin to get a feel for the subject.

I'm a bit of a schizophrenic on phones: I don't really need a smart phone. My requirements are only phone calls and SMS, plus having a camera in the pocket, and GPS. I have no requirement to see my email when away from home, and, although a forum addict, I do not use "social networking" sites at all. I have long-since written off as hopeless any internet use on something with a screen the size of my N-82. A bigger, touch screen might change my view of this. On the other hand, the gadget-phile shopoholic in me forbids buying a basic phone!

Added to that, although I can't imagine really wanting or needing to acquire a pocketful of "apps," as a Linux user, I am also sure that I'll be wanting to dig a little below the surface of Android.

The Defy+ seems a good compromise on expenditure, and, although dropability is probably exaggerated, I'll appreciate not having to hide the phone at the bottom of a bag in a shower of rain.

I very much like the look of the Sony "tough-ish" smartphone, but reviews indicate that the speaker is not so loud and I'm a little deaf.

My only reservation in going for the Defy+ is that there is a Samsung "tough" on the way.

Any comments or advice?
Old 18th January 2012, 16:17   #7422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil
I have ordered samsung car charger for my i9003 from flip kart. Check ebay india for car holder.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:20   #7423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am unable to access the site as they are participating in the black out event. How do I know which one is mine?
Old 18th January 2012, 16:49   #7424
BHPian

Quote:
I am unable to access the site as they are participating in the black out event. How do I know which one is mine?
Applications > Settings > About Phone > Model Number
Old 18th January 2012, 17:02   #7425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Applications > Settings > About Phone > Model Number
Its the one without G. Whats the difference between mine and a G version?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks