Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:12   #7846
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Now, I've started hunting and researching on a good ROM. I am looking for something minimalistic with good battery life. Oxygen? Cyanogen?
Naveen, once you're done flashing a custom ROM on your LG O1, please do let me know your inputs on the ROM you flashed.

The reason why I ask you is that, my O1 currently runs on GingerCruz V1.5 and I'm planning to flash another ROM. But then, I'm still confused which one to go for this time.
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:14   #7847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Stay with the stock rom for a few weeks and then jump directly into ICS. i dont see the point of going for a custom gingerbread build anymore .
Thanks! Though I am itching to try a custom ROM based on GB before I jump to ICS. Since it is a newer baseband (since stock LG ROM), can I install Cyanogen or Oxygen without changing the baseband?

Or am I incorrect somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Naveen, once you're done flashing a custom ROM on your LG O1, please do let me know your inputs on the ROM you flashed.

The reason why I ask you is that, my O1 currently runs on GingerCruz V1.5 and I'm planning to flash another ROM. But then, I'm still confused which one to go for this time.
I have an LG P500 running 2.3.3 right now. Rooted.

I am still looking, might end up trying Cyanogen first. Then Oxygen. Or Oxygen first and then Cyanogen.

But will keep you posted.

Last edited by manson : 22nd February 2012 at 20:00. Reason: Kindly use Edit button to merge posts whilst posting within twenty minutes from the first post.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:20   #7848
BHPian

Guys, whats your opinion on Samsung Galaxy S plus ? Its now available for 20.5k on Flipkart.
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:20   #7849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Thanks! Though I am itching to try a custom ROM based on GB before I jump to ICS. Since it is a newer baseband (since stock LG ROM), can I install Cyanogen or Oxygen without changing the baseband?

Or am I incorrect somewhere?
Yes you can. you can also flash any baseband of your choice over a custom ROM
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:21   #7850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Stay with the stock rom for a few weeks and then jump directly into ICS. i dont see the point of going for a custom gingerbread build anymore .
Is there a stable ICS Custom ROM for p500?
There is one development going on XDA, but that is still not very stable I guess.
please post the links if you are successfully using one.
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:43   #7851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy
Woooohoooo! Finally rooted my LG P500 using Gingerbreak. I did try it some months back but couldn't get it to root. But after I upgraded to 2.3.3, I have been able to root now.

First thing - logged into SuperUser and uninstalled those lousy apps like Newspaper, Vaccination and worst of the lot - Bollywoodji.

Now, I've started hunting and researching on a good ROM. I am looking for something minimalistic with good battery life. Oxygen? Cyanogen?
CM7 is the best ROM for the LgP500. Period. Go for it.
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:14   #7852
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded to CM7.1 (2.3.7) with the EAv7.2 kernel - Ubiquitense | 2.6.32.9-EA#37 - Gingerbread kernel for Motorola XT502 on my Motorola XT3 xt502. WiFi/GPS work flawlessly, more CPU settings, and the battery threatens to last over 48 hours now on a full charge.

Am very impressed with this version, and unlikely to upgrade too soon
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:24   #7853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Are you looking for developers guide? From usability point of view, if you play around with an android mobile for a day, you will easily understand its basic features.
I was looking for something that starts with basic use and gets deeper. One can always skip the "how-to-dial-a-number" chapters, although my computer experience says that not doing so often leads to "I never knew that before" moments!
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:02   #7854
Senior - BHPian

Finally, I've a barcode battery widget on my phone.

Name:  screenshot1329964134242.png
Views: 772
Size:  80.0 KB
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:08   #7855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, I've a barcode battery widget on my phone.

Attachment 892548
Are you still using launcherpro? Switch over to Go Launcher ASAP, much better!
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:15   #7856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi

Agreed. I am using it on my Sensation and it is working like a charm. Surprisingly the amount of free memory is quite good compared to sense and the phone is much more stable compared to stock sense

Definitely recommended.
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:25   #7857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Launcher Pro is great The issue with Go Launcher is I did not find it stable - but that was again some time back!

Also, Once when I had used Go theme with contacts et all it was OK - and when I reverted back, it had hidden my contacts into a system group which was invisible on normal use. Finally managed to get it out, after that - NO GO launcher for me!!

I prefer launcher and themes that do not manipulate your data into separate system groups.

That way - you can switch ROMS, themes and enjoy the stuff without loosing your data!

Thankfully GODfather Gmail [read google apps] takes care of your backup!
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:36   #7858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi

To be precise, I'm using Launcher Pro Plus

I like minimalistic launchers and for this reason I prefer Launcher Pro Plus over Go Launcher. I might give it a try once again and see if my opinion changes or not.

Last edited by Klub Class : 23rd February 2012 at 08:38.
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:25   #7859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Launcher Pro is great The issue with Go Launcher is I did not find it stable - but that was again some time back!

Also, Once when I had used Go theme with contacts et all it was OK - and when I reverted back, it had hidden my contacts into a system group which was invisible on normal use. Finally managed to get it out, after that - NO GO launcher for me!!

I prefer launcher and themes that do not manipulate your data into separate system groups.

That way - you can switch ROMS, themes and enjoy the stuff without loosing your data!

Thankfully GODfather Gmail [read google apps] takes care of your backup!
I was a huge fan of Launcher Pro, used to replace ADW on CM with LPP. But then again, there hasn't been any development on LPP since a long time.

Go launcher used to be bad earlier. However, newer versions are far better, it is much faster than Launcher Pro on my Nexus One, coupled with some nice transition effects its worth while. Plus Go Launcher Ex is free!

Install just Go Launcher Ex, maybe the notifications package along with it, thats it. Very good, fast and doesn't mess up your contacts!

Quote:

I like minimalistic launchers and for this reason I prefer Launcher Pro Plus over Go Launcher. I might give it a try once again and see if my opinion changes or not.
I'm a minimalistic guy as well. I dont use any themes/icons, I use a black wallpaper in the interest of saving battery on my AMOLED phone
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:00   #7860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Although I personally use go launcher, i also did the minimalistic launcher bit before.
you should try Zeam.
That was THE fastest thing not on two wheels for launchers that i used, but it got too sad(static) after a bit, know what i mean?

Most Viewed