Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 13:03   #7951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_
HTC has a brilliant spec for their new flagship models. But I wonder why didnt they opt for AMOLED screen on the One X. They went ahead with AMOLED screen only for the One S. Also, they preferred to keep out the microSD slot and FM out of their flagship models?
Actually one x is using that SLCD2 which is more advanced than super Amoled (not plus one). It uses regular RGB matrix rather than Pentile of super Amoled. Super Amoled+ also uses regular RGB matrix for display. That's why SLCD2 is there in the flagship one x. All major tech sites are reporting that it is quite outstanding display. So it must be good as well.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:08   #7952
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@gadgetfreak

Can you share the mail application? Would like to try out and see if that fixes the curse of android?
Old 27th February 2012, 13:41   #7953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I like to differ here. I use EAS on Xperia Neo. It supports.

1) Mail Sync
2) Contacts Sync
3) Calendar Sync
4) Real time e-mail id search from server

Some third party apps like Moxier supports syncing Tasks also. What is missing is support for some EAS policies. Being said that, my Symbian used to drain battery very fast when Push mail is enabled, but not android. Also, mail integration depends on device also I believe. I have an Atrix in my office which allows "Out of Office" also
Is it? Then may be I should stand corrected.

On my Note and on the previous GY mail syncing itself was a problem. My org's mail policies are on stringent side, but still I used to have seamless integration on Nokia 5800 and battery was not such an issue when I used mail for exchange or something similar.

While you are right in saying that these things differ from device to device, the precise reason I guess is firmware. And looks like Samsung does not look into such intricacies yet!
Old 27th February 2012, 13:42   #7954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Windows phones are supposed to have the best mail integration ...
Defined, by MS and Windows users, as the best Exchange integration, I suppose?

My Defy+ Progress

Rooted the phone, using SuperOneClick (Gosh that was easy: Literally one click!) and used the prescribed combinations of Titanium backup, uninstalls, reinstalls and restores to achieve Google Maps with Navigation.

Thanks again to those whose hints and links made this fairly easy.

That is probably as far as my "modding" needs to go, for now. Oh, wait... I need to disable/re-progam the search button as I don't feel I need it and keep pressing it by accident: a quick google suggests this is possible.

Otherwise, I am perfectly happy with the phone as it is. I have a lot to learn about Android (which will include poking around under the surface) and day-to-day living with it, before deciding that I need to flash any other version.

On the whole, I am more comfortable now than I was with my N82. Only the Defy+ camera is, perhaps, not as good. It's been a good upgrade, and at only 2/3rds the price of the N82 three or four years ago.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:54   #7955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Is it? Then may be I should stand corrected.

On my Note and on the previous GY mail syncing itself was a problem. My org's mail policies are on stringent side, but still I used to have seamless integration on Nokia 5800 and battery was not such an issue when I used mail for exchange or something similar.

While you are right in saying that these things differ from device to device, the precise reason I guess is firmware. And looks like Samsung does not look into such intricacies yet!
Till ICS, I think Google was not so interested in business/corporate users and their needs. iPhone has played it right with EAS capabilities. I was surprised initially to see that the default mail app on my android didn't support sub folder sync (I have some 10-15 sub folders and this feature is important to me). But all Motos has this feature enabled. I was forced to use some third party app since such a basic feature was not implemented by SE. While "enhanced mail" has almost resolved the mail anomalies, I am still worried about one fact that the mails read on PC are not flagged as read on my android. With LED notifications enabled, this still stands as a nuisance. In all the clients, this behavior persists. Guess it has more to do with server side settings than device settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Defined, by MS and Windows users, as the best Exchange integration, I suppose?
May be. But when I had a chance to look at a friend's Lumia, I felt the mail integration was much better at least functionality wise.

Regarding your Defy+ I bet you'll be much happy if you go with CM7. It works surprisingly flawless. Also, excellent performance. It shows a free RAM of 240MB right after boot up. About camera, try out some third party apps too. Camera 360 is a good alternative, gives you better control about JPEG compression qualities.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 27th February 2012 at 13:56.
Old 27th February 2012, 14:14   #7956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@gadgetfreak

Can you share the mail application? Would like to try out and see if that fixes the curse of android?

Hi,

I am using the stock Email app that came along with my handset (SGS2). It gives me an option to install Microsoft Exchange. Try searching for the APK of email app that was shipped with SGS2 or i will try and share it if required.
Old 27th February 2012, 15:13   #7957
Senior - BHPian

Fans of Angry Birds franchise (including my wife ) can look forward to the next iteration in the series, called as Angry Birds Space, to be released on March 22nd.

UPDATE: Angry Birds Space! - Rovio Entertainment Ltd
and
Angry Birds Space - Coming March 22
Old 27th February 2012, 16:44   #7958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

My Defy+ Progress
I will be tracking this. My Defy+ was delivered home by Flipkart today. I am totally new to Android and smart phones.
Old 27th February 2012, 16:52   #7959
BHPian

any users of Samsung Wave III out here? considering this among the options i have for under 20k budget for an android (wave has bada but that is okay with me) phone.
Old 27th February 2012, 16:55   #7960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I will be tracking this. My Defy+ was delivered home by Flipkart today. I am totally new to Android and smart phones.
I'm very pleased with mine.

I'm not only new to Android, I'm new to touch-screen phones altogether. Would I have been even happier with a bigger Samsung, along with its much bigger price tag? I don't know: so far, I don't think so.

But I don't think I'll be posting much for some time now, so I'll be watching your progress!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th February 2012 at 16:56.
Old 27th February 2012, 17:09   #7961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
any users of Samsung Wave III out here? considering this among the options i have for under 20k budget for an android (wave has bada but that is okay with me) phone.
You are asking on wrong thread. Go here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...cks-hacks.html
Old 27th February 2012, 17:38   #7962
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Which is the slickest snappiest browser for Android? I have been using Dolphin in CM7 and it was just working fine. But in MIUI, the overall scrolling is not that responsive as CM7, and Dolphin has also become slightly slow in scrolling.

Other browsers I had used are Mozilla, stock android browser, Opera, Opera mini etc. I have not found any of these performing at least like the default browser in an iPhone 3GS - in terms of smoothness and speed of scrolling.
Old 27th February 2012, 17:59   #7963
Senior - BHPian

Miren browser? you only recommended?
Old 27th February 2012, 18:13   #7964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Guys,

Which is the slickest snappiest browser for Android? I have been using Dolphin in CM7 and it was just working fine. But in MIUI, the overall scrolling is not that responsive as CM7, and Dolphin has also become slightly slow in scrolling.

Other browsers I had used are Mozilla, stock android browser, Opera, Opera mini etc. I have not found any of these performing at least like the default browser in an iPhone 3GS - in terms of smoothness and speed of scrolling.
I am using Checkrom now and used Rocket ROM before apart from different stock ROMs for SGN, I always found Dolphin HD to be best.

If you are on ICS you could try Chrome. But I still wonder why Dolphin is laggy, why not try making it a system app using app like T backup pro and see if that helps?
Old 27th February 2012, 18:15   #7965
Senior - BHPian

How many folks using nVidia Tegra powered devices here?

I was looking at some game recommendations for my Motorola Photon. (Don't think anyone here is using that phone )

Most Viewed