Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2012, 01:46   #8176
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Thanks mate! That was the most detailed post I'v read about the differences. Those seem to be some very serious shortcomings. But question is how many of those defects MS will address during the lifespan of a WP that one buys today. The only thing that makes me consider it is the much better hardware which one cannot get at this price point and of course battery back up. Sigh... choosing a ph gotta be one of life's most difficult decision... :(

Btw, what do you think about navigation on WP compared to Andy? Similar issue with v limited solutions, I guess?
Question is what are you going to do with that better hardware?sure the specs seem great but windows doesn't use the hardware to its full potential. it doesn't need to.Microsoft and Nokia have realized that and are bringing out windows phones with 800mhz processors and lower amounts of ram.And they will make sure that all the apps in their store run on all their phone so the apps wont be processor intensive

Camera : in that price point there are comparable if not better cameras .The Sony android phones have pretty decent cameras. plus you have apps that enhance the capabilities of the stock cameras.

Amoled screen : remember than the only non-pentile Amoled display is on the SII, all the other phones have pentile displays. this might not be noticeable to first time smartphone users but personally coming from an SLCD display the grainy matt-effect was obvious.though it may have better saturation and colours a pentile AMoled just CANNOT mach the clarity and sharpness of LCD's

EDIT : i have played with a windows phone. and i would love to have it as a second phone. but living with those candy coloured tiles for more than a year will be irritating.

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 15th March 2012 at 01:48.
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 02:49   #8177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
6. Easy file management: File transfers through Zune in WM 7.5 are pain also transfers through bluetooth not allowed. Android just works like a USB stick.
Have you tried this hack - Turn Windows Phone 7 into USB Drive[How To Guide] | TheTechJournal

Works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Question is what are you going to do with that better hardware?sure the specs seem great but windows doesn't use the hardware to its full potential. it doesn't need to.Microsoft and Nokia have realized that and are bringing out windows phones with 800mhz processors and lower amounts of ram.And they will make sure that all the apps in their store run on all their phone so the apps wont be processor intensive

Camera : in that price point there are comparable if not better cameras .The Sony android phones have pretty decent cameras. plus you have apps that enhance the capabilities of the stock cameras.
Thanks for the inputs. Better hardware can only be for the best. It means more chances of getting upgrades, either thru the manufacturer or thru custom ROMs, as in Android. Btw, is the custom ROM route open for WP too?

As for Sony cameras, yes they are better than Defy and HTCs, but then Ray and Neo V are pricier than the Omnia W, given current offers. One option is to get an imported Ray with no warranty but around same price as the Omnia. How good a decision that is will depend on luck, I guess. Also, SE phones (at least the Neo) seem to be plagued by weaker signal (including Wifi) receptivity.

Last edited by Raccoon : 15th March 2012 at 02:55.
Old 15th March 2012, 07:39   #8178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k

thanks, I tested one way recording on android port on my HTC touch, should be good enough for note taking, all i have to do it repeat what the other party says, driving them crazy .

I will continue my research though.
In MIUI based custom roms, there is an inbuilt option for call recording in the dialer itself. And I think that its two way recording. I tried one on customer service & both party's voices were recorded clear.
offroad_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 09:00   #8179
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone installed the official ICS update in their SGS2? Please do post your reviews on the same.
Old 15th March 2012, 09:17   #8180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Also, SE phones (at least the Neo) seem to be plagued by weaker signal (including Wifi) receptivity.
I think I need to pitch in here . I was also concerned about this point but the latest batch of Neos don't suffer with such issues. I'm using mine for last 1 month and have absolutely no issues with wifi (at home or office) or GSM signal. In fact the GSM signal is the best I've observed so far. I get signals at places where I wasn't getting before.
Old 15th March 2012, 12:46   #8181
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thats great. But that means one needs to ensure one is buying the latest batch. And thats very difficult to ascertain if buying online. Btw, any rough idea from which manuf. date the issue has been resolved?
Old 15th March 2012, 17:12   #8182
Senior - BHPian

Hey friends, my friend is looking for a new phone. Her requirements are dual cam & Qwerty keypad. Her budget is 15k.

I have recommended her the Sony Xperia Mini Pro since it comes with Android 2.3 & looks pretty good too. Any suggestions?
Old 15th March 2012, 17:34   #8183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hey friends, my friend is looking for a new phone. Her requirements are dual cam & Qwerty keypad. Her budget is 15k.

I have recommended her the Sony Xperia Mini Pro since it comes with Android 2.3 & looks pretty good too. Any suggestions?
I have a POA.
When you are at the store, put it on the counter, and run.
Yes, it is no good.
Too small and unwieldy.
I am a huge fan of sonys, but this was not a good phone.
Sorry I cant suggest something else(I am sure they will flow in in some time here).
But given a choice, you ought to avoid the X mini
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 17:34   #8184
Senior - BHPian

if someone types, then nothing like chacha. but i dont think it has front cam
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 17:43   #8185
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, if not the Xperia Mini or the Chacha, then what else? Yes, it has to be an Android.
Old 15th March 2012, 17:49   #8186
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, if not the Xperia Mini or the Chacha, then what else? Yes, it has to be an Android.
HTC wildfire S. Checkout the specs. Nice girlish phone.
Gadgetfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 18:02   #8187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
I did consider the Wildfire S but the only problem is that it does not have a secondary/front cam.

Hey, any specific reason you guys asked me to avoid the Sony Xperia Mini Pro apart from the fact that it is too small? Because she actually likes small phones!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 15th March 2012 at 18:04.
Old 15th March 2012, 19:46   #8188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Question is what are you going to do with that better hardware?sure the specs seem great but windows doesn't use the hardware to its full potential.
If anything, so far Android doesnt seem to exploit Hardware to the fullest!!! I mean I have had a dual core for almost a year but so far the other core hasnt been used (as Gingerbread doesnt use two cores)!!! So far most dual core droids use only half of the processing power.

WP might be limited but it does make best use of its hardware. There are no annoying lags or jitters as in droids.
Old 15th March 2012, 20:18   #8189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
if someone types, then nothing like chacha. but i dont think it has front cam
Chacha is a very nice looking fone, but there are so many users complaining about battery, its unnerving! Seems to be much worse than even the average Android. It has a front cam according to Gsmarena at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Besides other things, its quite overpriced for what it offers. No front cam. and v poor main cam. Low memory. Besides she wants a QWERTY keypad which it does not have. And I don't think anyone is going to find lotta texting on this phone to be nice.

After realizing that, you may find the Xperia to be not that bad or equally bad option.

Same issue - there really aren't any good Androids in this price range. Sorry I can't help you decide. I can only make your decision lot more difficult.

Last edited by Raccoon : 15th March 2012 at 20:24.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 20:29   #8190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If anything, so far Android doesnt seem to exploit Hardware to the fullest!!! I mean I have had a dual core for almost a year but so far the other core hasnt been used (as Gingerbread doesnt use two cores)!!! So far most dual core droids use only half of the processing power.

WP might be limited but it does make best use of its hardware. There are no annoying lags or jitters as in droids.
That is kind of my point. manufacturers are running the hardware race and trying to convince you that more is better. but having experienced windows mobile and android respectively i know that really isnt needed. i've had a dual core android for a long time now and there is nothing that it can do that my 600mhz blade cant. i had the HTC diamond running WM 6.5. the exact same OS and apps that my HTC gene which was the lowest end windows mobile.with less than half the specs ran.

The nokia lumnia with a new generation 1.4 ghz processor and a huge amount of ram runs windows phone smoothly. but so does the HTC HD2. a phone that was released before android came out!

Quote:
I did consider the Wildfire S but the only problem is that it does not have a secondary/front cam.

Hey, any specific reason you guys asked me to avoid the Sony Xperia Mini Pro apart from the fact that it is too small? Because she actually likes small phones!
DONT buy an android which has a resolution less than 800*480. not worth it .

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 15th March 2012 at 20:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks