Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2012, 21:30   #8191
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I find the using the Google Play store intensely frustrating. There were enough problems during the installation process.

Trust Google to try an over-the-top $&#@ exercise. I can't seem to find my apps to update/restore them any more!

Is it just me or are you guys facing issues with this new 'market' app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I mean I have had a dual core for almost a year but so far the other core hasnt been used (as Gingerbread doesnt use two cores)!!! So far most dual core droids use only half of the processing power.
This is quite a shocker. Googling for some info led me to some sites that claim the 2nd core is used for garbage collection which helps the other core focus solely on running the apps. That said, even restricting one core is IMHO a waste.

I find my Moto Razr with a dual core 1.2 Ghz CPU and GB 2.3.6 far less pleasant to use than my IP4s which runs a 800 Mhz dual core (originally 1 Ghz on the Ipad2) A5 processor. I see jitters and freezes when scrolling thru the screen or switching apps. My Android experience hasn't really been exactly satisfying and that too from a so called high end 'droid handset. Hope the ICS update expected next month will improve things and use both CPU cores. I love the customisability of the Razr and its AMOLED screen.

Regards,
Old 15th March 2012, 22:02   #8192
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know if it the transition to the stupidly-named Play Store (do they think we are four-year-olds) or what, but, having only just got started with Market, and bought four apps, my card payment was refused for a a fifth, a few days later, and after the Play-Store change.

It's a [British] Visa Debit card. There was no reason for the refusal. Unsatisfactory, my bank couldn't explain why the payment had been declined, except that the merchant had got something wrong, maybe presenting a debit card as a credit card.

Meet the Google Monster. Your payment has been declined... You must review your card details or You must add another one. Contact us? Get help? Not a chance. Google is interested in usa as data, not as people.

I suppose I'll try it again, but I have rather gone off the whole idea.
Old 16th March 2012, 09:58   #8193
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here for circle launcher?
All the roms i flashed had its widgets, but I never used it.
trued it yesterday, and found its really good.
Really takes care of the clutter!
Much better looking than straightforward folders too.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screen_20120316_0950.png

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screen_20120316_0950_2.png
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 10:27   #8194
BHPian

Purchased my first Andriod Smart phone yesterday its the SGS2 the non G version for 30K(Incl VAT 14.5%). After so many searches i finally got my hands on non G version near to my home in chennai (Studio Cell, TTK road Alwarpet). The guy had only two piece one G and another non G version. There was another gentleman who took the G version just when i was inside and to my luck i got hold of the non G version I9100 LKAINU. I guess this was the last piece with him. Any ways i am very happy
Old 16th March 2012, 10:55   #8195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree_hari82 View Post
Purchased my first Andriod Smart phone yesterday its the SGS2 the non G version for 30K(Incl VAT 14.5%). After so many searches i finally got my hands on non G version near to my home in chennai (Studio Cell, TTK road Alwarpet). The guy had only two piece one G and another non G version. There was another gentleman who took the G version just when i was inside and to my luck i got hold of the non G version I9100 LKAINU. I guess this was the last piece with him. Any ways i am very happy

Congrats Hari,

You have a beast which is beautiful in your hands. Explore to its fullest potential, you can do many things using this beauty, ICS update also is around the corner.
Gadgetfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 11:38   #8196
Senior - BHPian

ok so after struggling with the ICS on defy yields nothing. I went back to WIUI hybrid ICS (or soon GB). Defy ICS is not yet ready for average joes. Its nowhere as lag-free as GB though it was almost tolerable running Nova launcher!
Old 16th March 2012, 19:29   #8197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't know if it the transition to the stupidly-named Play Store (do they think we are four-year-olds) or what,
We certainly act like 4 year olds all the time. Have you seen anybody playing angry birds. I think it was purposely designed to be the next brain-dead timepass after fishing.

I was surprised to see almost no buzz about google play. I discovered it accidentally while searching for something.
Old 16th March 2012, 21:01   #8198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We certainly act like 4 year olds all the time.
not sure I have reached that level of maturity even yet But I still don't like being treated like a 4-yr-old. Designers of user interfaces, please take note
Old 16th March 2012, 21:01   #8199
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hey friends, my friend is looking for a new phone. Her requirements are dual cam & Qwerty keypad. Her budget is 15k.

I have recommended her the Sony Xperia Mini Pro since it comes with Android 2.3 & looks pretty good too. Any suggestions?
Sony neo V if she can raise the budget to 18k,it is a good fone but not sure about qwerty key board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree_hari82
Purchased my first Andriod Smart phone yesterday its the SGS2 the non G version for 30K(Incl VAT 14.5%). After so many searches i finally got my hands on non G version near to my home in chennai (Studio Cell, TTK road Alwarpet). The guy had only two piece one G and another non G version. There was another gentleman who took the G version just when i was inside and to my luck i got hold of the non G version I9100 LKAIU. I guess this was the last piece with him. Any ways i am very happy
Thanks for the info,i looking to buy sgs2 (non g version) and i might buy it any time..,but the best quote i got was 30999 in croma..did you negotiate very hard or did they quote 30k straight ?

Last edited by joshguy : 16th March 2012 at 21:09.
Old 16th March 2012, 22:44   #8200
BHPian

@Joshguy: I did negotiate hard and also used multiple references to get down the rate to below 28K but finally ended up paying 28K + 14.5% VAT. I got a screen guard free along with this. Overall i am happy because i got hold of an non g version.
Old 17th March 2012, 00:26   #8201
BHPian

Hi friends,
Any idea when there will be update for samsung galaxy r ,from the time i bought my phone there hasnt been a single update.
its kind of step motherly treatment by samsung
Old 17th March 2012, 01:16   #8202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan5678 View Post
Hi friends,
Any idea when there will be update for samsung galaxy r ,from the time i bought my phone there hasnt been a single update.
Galaxy R is already on gingerbread. why would it get any updates before the ICS one?and none of the indian samsung phones have got the ICS update so far. so wait and watch

For people considering the galaxy note .

Here is an offer for 5k off on the price. you just have to share the page.

Free Samsung Galaxy Note | Galaxy Note | Indiaplaza

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 17th March 2012 at 12:42. Reason: See note in post
Old 17th March 2012, 08:17   #8203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan5678 View Post
Hi friends,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Galaxy R is already on gingerbread. why would it get any updates before the ICS one?and none of the indian samsung phones have got the ICS update so far. so wait and watch
You should be able to get your hands on the ICS by this June. Most related articles point to that.
Old 17th March 2012, 13:21   #8204
Distinguished - BHPian

Please see this post for the really poor quality of the Defy+ camera. This is the one thing about this phone that has really disappointed me.
Old 17th March 2012, 13:46   #8205
Senior - BHPian

ah I agree. Indoor shooting is really its achilles heel - I think the likes of SGS2 or Galaxy R besides the Sonys would have been better indoor shooters!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks