Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 14:16   #8266
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Thanks Joslix, I agree with you on the iphone part the pricing is something which is killing me to make that option though its a good phone and the games/applications on it are the best I have used till date.

I am waiting for the Motorazr maxx or lets see how the HTC one are in comparison to the Motorazr max.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:32   #8267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010

Samsung is one of the worst players to ever waste time with source code. ICS is still not available for S2 and note.
Correct, Samsung delaying ICS updates and I am still waiting fingers crossed. Meanwhile Sony has announced its first ICS based Xperia Neo L in china and no word on indian or international launch. Neo L comes with 1Ghz processor 512 ram 1gb internal storage. 5 MP cam and 4inch display.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:41   #8268
BANNED

@invincible7: I will got for an htc any day. far more solid construction. An htc is like a Honda - get one and you are hooked.

Now with Bootloader Unlock available you can get root without much hassle also. Earlier you had to rely on revolutionary.io for the S-off. Bootloader unlock is not S-off but works. At least for me there is no real difference. I have done that to my Wildfire S.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:42   #8269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@anilisanil.

Have you unbricked your note or did Samsung replaced it.

I am back to GB and waiting for official ICE. Worst case i may go and upgrade to chekcrom.

Want to try to Ubuntu and see if that works. The download is not working and i am unable to download the files.
No I could not restore it, somehow cajoled Samsung to replace it under warranty.

Apparently something on Chinese kernel is frying the Flash drive if someone is attempting to wipe data.

There are quite a few AOKP and AOSP based roms which are stable now, but I am sticking to Midnote GB now. There is a definite amount of risk using leaked ICS.

Ubuntu is not an option yet, not everything is working I believe (correct me if I am wrong) If there is a complete working version I am more than happy to port to Ubuntu :P

Edit: Just checked. Ubuntu "should" work on the Note.

Last edited by anilisanil : 21st March 2012 at 14:54.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:53   #8270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@invincible7: I will got for an htc any day. far more solid construction. An htc is like a Honda - get one and you are hooked.

Now with Bootloader Unlock available you can get root without much hassle also. Earlier you had to rely on revolutionary.io for the S-off. Bootloader unlock is not S-off but works. At least for me there is no real difference. I have done that to my Wildfire S.
Sir I also used to like HTC (I have three HTC devices, the Touch Diamond, the Sensation and the Radar) and am really impressed with the devices (build quality top notch, far better than LGs or Samsungs) but their service left very bad taste in mouth. I wouldnt recommend HTC even to my enemy now!

If you want an analogy, I think HTC is like Skoda! Top devices but pathetic service support. For anything and everything they recommend motherboard change (that costs 13k+).

Samsung, on the other hand, is like its Korean brother Hyundai. Flashy, topline specs and all (but still plasticky and not at all premium looking). There you go.

Last edited by joslicx : 21st March 2012 at 14:56.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:54   #8271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
download:
GT-S5570XXKPF.rar
extract files to a folder.(password: samfirmware.com )
open ODIN multiloader 4.38 from the downloaded folder and make sure the phone is detected which is shown by the yellow COM port.
place files as shown below.
make sure only AUTO REBOOT and PROTECT OPS boxes are only ticked!!
Thanks for the reply! I will try this out tonight and post the result.

One observation - I am using ODIN 4.38, and its title shows in brackets "(Android)" and not the phone model name as in your screenshot. But it does recognize the phone and yellow color is displayed for the com port. I am not sure whether ODIN is precisely recognizing the phone model or not.
Old 21st March 2012, 15:10   #8272
Senior - BHPian

Need help guys. Managed to stay off gadgets till date and slowly the touch screen bug is biting me harder day by day.

Currently using a Nokia C5-00.

Looking for an Android Touchscreen phone, my requirements:

- Must not hang (heard windows based phones hang quite often)

- must be quick

- full touch

- GPS - Reliable and accurate maps with voice guided navigation (nokia scores here as ovi maps with voice navi was really accurate for me on my trips)

- bluetooth, email, FM Radio, Stereo music player, Camera (5MP minimum), video camera, 3G, wireless, office (word, excel, pp, adobe, etc.), facebook, internet, etc.

- Reliable support

- price within 15-16k max.

- clear and audible speakerphone (my current nokia sucks on handset and speakerphone volume ; samsungs are insanely loud)

Now I was inclined to Nokia due to their accuracy on the move (GPS) but voice quality is a complete let down.

Plus i am confused with so many technical terms like Gorilla screen, AMOLED screen, blah blah etc.

Which one do i go for? I never change phones unless they are beyond repair (or when the repair costs almost half the price of the phone) so need something that lasts for at least 5 years.
Old 21st March 2012, 15:18   #8273
BHPian

@sgiitk -- To be honest with you I haven't used HTC extensively yet. My usage of this brand is very limited but yes I as a consumer is impressed with their device lineup which is currently in the market. I am still a bit skeptical on whether to move into HTC line of products or not..lets see.

From their current lineup I liked the HTC Sensation XE with beat audio and the coming one HTC One looks promising, but if its like a Skoda as mentioned by our friend joslicx, then I would have to seriously think about moving into this brand.

I will play a wait game for say next 1 -2 months and see where I can find a good device which suffices my requirements.
Old 21st March 2012, 15:31   #8274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
@sgiitk
I will play a wait game for say next 1 -2 months and see where I can find a good device which suffices my requirements.

Hi, If you are willing to wait for 2months, then you can actually go for SGSIII, that is going to be one beast of a phone, one of the most powerful, lightest and without any doubt the best screen in the world.
Old 21st March 2012, 15:37   #8275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya

Which one do i go for? I never change phones unless they are beyond repair (or when the repair costs almost half the price of the phone) so need something that lasts for at least 5 years.
An all touch device for 5 years!!! You need to come to reality. Consider yourself lucky if it lasts 2-3 years. These days most manufacturers don't support their devices beyond a year or so (even their flagships)

In your budget there's hardly any good android device. I wud suggest raise it to 25k and buy a good dual core like HTC sensation (if you are willing to take chance with their customer care). Or if you are willing to shift to reliance CDMA then for 20k you can get EVO 3D.
Old 21st March 2012, 16:53   #8276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Options in your price range are Xperia Neo V and Motorola Defy+. You will find lot of details about both these phones if you go few pages back in the thread.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:08   #8277
Senior - BHPian

@joslicx: Well, there are 2 dimensions to lasting - the software part (support) and the hardware. While its almost a given that you wont get software support for 5 years for any mobile, what about the hardware? How long do capacitive touch screens last? If the hardware lasts, the one can of course still use the phone with the last supported apps and all... and in the very least use it as a dumb phone. So question is how long will the hardware of a touch device last? Any ideas/experiences anybody?

Mobile phones seem to have the shortest (overall life) amongst any electronics devices, currently. Thats the only thing that puts me off from spending too much on a phone. Else would buy a high end device for sure.

Last edited by Raccoon : 21st March 2012 at 17:12.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:11   #8278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Looking for an Android Touchscreen phone, my requirements:

- Must not hang (heard windows based phones hang quite often)
If you have used linux and have been enamored by it, you may like android. like linux it still has it's quirks, needs specific tweaks to perform even simple tasks. But if you are a linux programmer, you love it. Windows is more like open the box and ready to use.

windows phone are much more stable and less battery hungry. from what I am hearing, the need for android to keep accessing internet every now and then is what kills the battery life in android. Much better handled in windows phone. I would have bought one now if only WP had not disabled in-call recording.

look at nokia lumia series or HTC phones for reviews.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:23   #8279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
If you have used linux and have been enamored by it, you may like android. like linux it still has it's quirks, needs specific tweaks to perform even simple tasks. But if you are a linux programmer, you love it. Windows is more like open the box and ready to use.
while I agree that Linux is like that, I disagree about Android. I don't see any quirks for it.

I used Ubuntu/Fedora and Android. Or in your words-Android is as ready to use as windows mobile is.

Are you referring to anything in particular?

Last edited by anilisanil : 21st March 2012 at 18:24.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:29   #8280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
while I agree that Linux is like that, I disagree about Android. I don't see any quirks for it.

I used Ubuntu/Fedora and Android. Or in your words-Android is as ready to use as windows mobile is.

Are you referring to anything in particular?
if you are an average user. yes. but if you want to install many apps, most of the times you have to root, then install busy box etc, sometimes you have to change to another kernel just to support encrypted folders. And even then one can not be sure it will work. Just look at all the queries in this thread itself.

some custom roms do offer many functionalities, but again one has to research what works and what not, before taking a plunge. I think I am drifting towards fragmentation issue now.

And did you mean windows mobile or windows phone? WM is a dead platform which I am still clinging to, until I find a better alternative.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks