Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 12:34   #8596
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Thanks for the Pics. There have been reports of the camera getting micro - scratches due to the design - basically its being publicised as a design fault. Any views on this? Also any updates on the battery life?

Cheers.
Well, I keep the phone in a HTC pouch, bought separately. So havent encountered any scratches. Battery life has improved so much. I get around 36 hours easily on moderate usage now. And on minimal usage it easily goes to 3rd day. Overall I am very happy with the performance. "This is the One I have been waiting for" is rightly said
Old 13th April 2012, 16:07   #8597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Where did you get it at that price? Seems like a sweet deal to me, although I'm inclined to go for the white but that seems really expensive. Also there have been reports of problems with the latest updates on 'yakju' from Google - are they really falling behind here?

Cheers.
I picked from Alfa, here in suburbs. White is costing about 26k. However prefer the titanium color than white. White on Nexus is matt finish and could be prone to get messy soon.
I haven't seen an issue with 'yakju' running on 4.0.4, one is running stock and the other is rooted to AOKP. 4.0.4 brings improvement to camera, battery life is better, it seems much faster than 4.0.2, 4.0.3, adds T9. Yakju is always first to get updates straight from Google unlike yakjuxw which gets updates when Samsung releases it. Am not sure what issues you exactly talking about with Yakju.
One of the device I got was Made in Vietnam and the other is China. China one seems better in terms of display. Gamma reading is better. Got the Vietnam piece exchanged for China one latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post

Now, for the new phone I am confused between the One V (costs arnd 18.5 on Flipkart) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 (imported/unlocked, sealed piece available on ebay India for 28.5k).

I would suggest get the Gnex eyes closed, got mine for 24k. The Screen is gorgeous with 316ppi. However there is one issue one needs to be careful with the screen as it's not using gorilla glass and scratch guard is must. Most of the one available here do not cover the edges since it has a slight curve. I called for SGP flexi shield from US along with the case. There is also XO skin that another good option. However nothing compares to the naked screen. Pure ICS is much smoother than overlays by other manufacturers. And if do get bored theres loaded of themes, Roms available on Xda forum, Rootzwiki.

Last edited by Invinsible : 13th April 2012 at 16:20.
Old 13th April 2012, 18:09   #8598
Senior - BHPian

Does anybody have any experience of buying phones with dealer warranty on eBay? Is it a good idea if the price is substantially lower?

Any users of Xperia Ray have any comments about this phone?
Old 13th April 2012, 18:22   #8599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Does anybody have any experience of buying phones with dealer warranty on eBay? Is it a good idea if the price is substantially lower?

Any users of Xperia Ray have any comments about this phone?
Good phone. small screen. the Neo V is more popular .

As for the dealer warranty i have no clue. but new phones arent prone to problems .
Old 13th April 2012, 18:41   #8600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
You should have ordered from buytheprice.com they have pricing 36080. And ngpay has pricing 34.3k
How much reliable is it buy from ngpay or from buytheprice? They have One V at almost 1000/- bucks lesser than Flipkart or Univercell mobiles.
Old 13th April 2012, 19:38   #8601
BHPian

Quote:
How much reliable is it buy from ngpay or from buytheprice? They have One V at almost 1000/- bucks lesser than Flipkart or Univercell mobiles.
Buytheprice was very reliable. Have purchased 3 mobiles from them and no issues at all. Shipped in one day and received the next day. All sealed, nicely packed with bill etc. No idea about ngpay.

Ngpay sources all mobiles from Sangeetha Bangalore. And they make you wait a lot.
Old 13th April 2012, 19:48   #8602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post

As for the dealer warranty i have no clue. but new phones arent prone to problems .
My Neo V developed this touch screen issue within 2 months of use without any physical damage to the phone (no drops or no exposure to water etc). I plan to take my phone to SE service center.

I don't know if dealer warranty will be useful in such cases.
Old 13th April 2012, 21:19   #8603
BHPian

Quote:
i bought a phone from NGpay and got it within 4 days.i say its a reliable source and they do have a good customer care service.
Old 13th April 2012, 21:34   #8604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But Ray is bit cheaper, whats more, while anybody would love a bigger screen, I want something thats easily pocket able. Further, the Ray has 8 MP cam compared to Neo V's 5 MP. Dunno how the pic quality compares though. Anybody knows?

New phones can have problems too, though how frequent they are with a particular company and model may differ. One instance I'v experienced myself with a Nokia, several years ago. Then last year, my Optimus One's headphones had to be replaced in warranty. I'm still not sure if the problem was with the phone or the headset as the new ones were also not satisfactory. They also messed up the screen due to the known dust issue which finally resulted in LG refunding the full invoice value of my phone. A friend's Neo V had to have its mobo replaced in warranty due to the known WiFi issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
My Neo V developed this touch screen issue within 2 months of use without any physical damage to the phone (no drops or no exposure to water etc). I plan to take my phone to SE service center.

I don't know if dealer warranty will be useful in such cases.
SE service center will of course not honor the warranty but my question is if they will at least undertake paid repairs. However, if mobo needs to be replaced (which authorized service centers seem to recommend often) then I guess the cost will be prohibitive and the phone may need to be junked.

Still undecided if its worth the risk...

As for Buytheprice, they are reliable. Speaking from experience. However, Flipkart is always the best option, esp. because of the 30 day guarantee. But their price difference is usually too much.

Last edited by Raccoon : 13th April 2012 at 21:37.
Old 14th April 2012, 08:55   #8605
BHPian

Please let me know if there is any good apps available for "full screen photo contact "

I tried BIG! & HD caller ID apps, both crashes in 2.3.x android version
Old 14th April 2012, 11:05   #8606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And then people wonder why android apps arent "polished" and how iphone is the best thing in the smartphone world.
As an IT guy you should know how much work goes into developing an app.i'm an IT guy too. and i know it isn't an easy task,why develop if people are not willing to pay because its "Android" and expect everything for free?

And i've been hearing this "polished" jargon for a long time now? what are you referring to exactly? that the icons are not as shiny as the ones on the iphone?Gingerbread is glitch free on almost every device right now and ICS is butter smooth compared to every alternative smartphone OS. or is it that iphone apps work completely differently than the ones on android? (last time i checked they were exactly the same).
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
3. I buy Apple devices, because overall the devices are neat, great to show off, and the software is beautifully integrated to the hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I would say apps are more custom made to fit into the rigid iOS, than 'integrated'. Android architecture offer more possibilities for integrating apps nicely with each other and with the OS.
Everyone should watch this simple video...

Last edited by clevermax : 14th April 2012 at 11:23.
Old 14th April 2012, 13:39   #8607
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't matter.those who have been taken in by apples advertising will always refer to it as the pinnacle in technology .They will never accept android to be more capable or worthy.
Old 14th April 2012, 13:42   #8608
Senior - BHPian

Just flashed me S2 into CM9+SlimICS Ver 3.3

The transformation in the phone is amazing. The UI is slick, and the interface is super super smooth, equaling or surpassing the iphone ios "smoothness". Every app opens super fast.

Its like buying a new phone... highly recommended for all i9100 owners.

Name:  Screenshot_20120414121718.png
Views: 437
Size:  250.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20120414133216.png
Views: 355
Size:  209.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20120414133229.png
Views: 448
Size:  247.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20120414133259.png
Views: 336
Size:  76.0 KB
Old 14th April 2012, 14:32   #8609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't matter.those who have been taken in by apples advertising will always refer to it as the pinnacle in technology .They will never accept android to be more capable or worthy.
Very very true. I showed this video and convinced couple of my friends about some of the possibilities like having a list of apps to choose from, with any generic intent in Android which is not possible in iOS. But overall, they will never ever agree that Android is capable and requires less hassle in many common use cases. After showing me that something similar is possible in a jailbroken iPhone with an additional app, they are saying that in iOS they never felt any shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
The transformation in the phone is amazing. The UI is slick, and the interface is super super smooth, equaling or surpassing the iphone ios "smoothness". Every app opens super fast.
Wow! I can imagine how smooth an S2 will be on CM9. Enjoy your new phone!

Last edited by clevermax : 14th April 2012 at 14:35.
Old 14th April 2012, 14:34   #8610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry but I disagree. It's easier said than done but this customization is what the chap is harping about. Having installed more than 2 ROMs a week for almost an year , I would say to each their own. Its a gray area. Both OSes have their strengths and weaknesses.

At this moment, I am fairly irritated with the complete lack of progress and general unusability of CM9 on the defy (as opposed to CM7 which was completely user-ready in under a month). Its been

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

Its like buying a new phone... highly recommended for all i9100 owners.
You have the stock CM9 contacts and dialer. Ergo piece of manure. Try ExDialer. It simply rocks.

Last edited by phamilyman : 14th April 2012 at 14:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks