Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2012, 11:18   #8791
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will definitely avoid Nokia since the OS is junk. I have no great view about Windows on a phone as well. Nokia + Microsoft sounds like two dinosaurs dancing the tango!I will suggest you go for an Android, preferably with Gorilla Glass. I will also suggest that he takes a look at htc, they are a relatively less known brand, but the quality runs rings around the competition.
THANK YOU BUTTON MISSING in my browser - hence THANK YOU SIR.

Nokia and Windows are indeed 2 dinosaurs dancing in the tango.
Old 27th April 2012, 11:28   #8792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
THANK YOU BUTTON MISSING in my browser - hence THANK YOU SIR.
Its not your browser Vikram. The Thanks button has been removed from the Shifting Gears section. Please see this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I have cancelled by cancellation and decided to go ahead with Defy+. Got a deal from a local store @ 15350/-. Picking it up tomorrow morning. Hope the jump is worthy.
Harshal, apologies for the inconvenience man. I'm a noob when it comes to smart phones since this is my first touchscreen, forget a smart phone, so obviously i was disappointed when it went awry. None of my phones packed up earlier even after many years of use and abuse so this got me off guard. Didn't intend to misguide you so my apologies for it

Like phamilyman said, it may be a one off case. I did not want to go through the service hassle again so bid goodbye to moto once and for all. Hope your experience is enjoyable with the brand. Of course, the build quality of the Defy+ is fantastic and thats what i loved in the phone and bought it within a week of seeing it. Sadly it wasn't meant to be :(

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th April 2012 at 11:36.
Old 27th April 2012, 13:02   #8793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Harshal, apologies for the inconvenience man. I'm a noob when it comes to smart phones since this is my first touchscreen, forget a smart phone, so obviously i was disappointed when it went awry. None of my phones packed up earlier even after many years of use and abuse so this got me off guard. Didn't intend to misguide you so my apologies for it
:(
Dude,

Chill. No Apologies needed. You did what anyone would do who has been through that.

There was no mis guidance here. I went ahead and got my Defy+ today morning. Fone seems perfect. getting used to it. Setup was easy. I have decided not to perform any rooting / custom roms on it. Use it as it is.

Will keep posting my doubts / queries / experiences here time to time.

Thanks to phamilyman, offroad_maniac, Samurai & all others for their valuable feedbacks.
Old 27th April 2012, 13:18   #8794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
I will go the opposite way and get a galaxy Y pro or a simple BB curve

Actually, harshal - consider the Omnia W VERY seriously. Its a nice phone, quite VFM but the killer bit is its battery life - much more awesome than the defy or even the iphone4 or the streak
Do look at wave 3 also if apps/games are not so high on priority. 4 inch amoled screen, great H/W , good camera better than omnia w , and great battery life (best on smartphones), and good looks too.. Essential apps are there but limited choices, I use it currently as my official phone and even with very high use I close the day with 30% battery remaining.
Old 27th April 2012, 14:14   #8795
Team-BHP Support

I don't know whether this was discussed before, but Intel has its foot in the door. Guess what, the first meidfield phone is launched in India, by Lava

22K and it beats the Galaxy S2 in many benchmarks.

I expect some teething troubles, but later when motorola and others come out with phone based on x86 arcitechture, things will be much better
Here is the anandtech review
AnandTech - Lava Xolo X900 Review - The First Intel Medfield Phone
Old 27th April 2012, 14:18   #8796
Team-BHP Support

I just upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Ace firmware to GINGERBREAD.DDKQ8, Android version : 2.3.6.

But now, Samsung Kies isn't working.

I read on some forum that Kies will not work on 2.3.6.

So, how do I transfer data?!
Old 27th April 2012, 14:54   #8797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
the performance benchmarks are FANTASTIC

AnandTech - Lava Xolo X900 Review - The First Intel Medfield Phone
Old 27th April 2012, 15:34   #8798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I'm in the market for a new phone and really would like an Android. But is there any free app that provides voice guided turn by turn satnav? I just love that feature of Nokia's Symbian (and Windows Phone ) phones. Since I don't have a GPS in my car this is almost a must have feature.
I'm also looking for some app that can provide turn by turn instructions while driving. Not too comfy peeping into the phone every now and then. Nokia's OVI maps are just great for this feature and are pin point accurate.

I tried navigation and google maps on my Galaxy Ace+ but it says Google Maps Navigation not available for this location (Blore) and suggests i use directions which are not voice guided.

Experts, any pointers please?
Old 27th April 2012, 15:52   #8799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle
i need to buy a phone for my dad.

what's good in 15k range. I am looking at Samsung ACE Plus, is it any good. any other options?
You should go for lumia 710. Definitely better camera features, integrated mail and the oh so delish looks of the Metro UI. Only difficulty with all windows phones is that you wont be able to transfer files via bluetooth. My better half and Ive got a lumia 800, an n8,note, blackberry. For your price range Id definitely suggest the lumia 710. I went in for the 800 just for its looks otherwise i was ready to settle for 710. And best part is you'd get faster processor and more ram than the galaxy ace.
There used to be a call end bug in the windows phone series but i faced it initially. After the update evrything seems pretty fine. In case you do opt for 710 then go for the recently manufactured one with all the latest updates.
Personally i feel Metro UI is far ahead on looks and function department in comparison to Samsungs TouchWiz UI. If only I had it on my note the live tiles are one of the best things ive ever seen on any phone.

Pros for lumia 710: Metro UI, Live tiles, easy facebook photo tag and upload, easy contacts transfer from previous nokia phones, 1.4ghz Qualcomm processor with 512mb ram v/s Ace's 800mhz and 256mb ram. Plus Nokia drive with turn by turn voice navigation

Cons for lumia 710: lack of bluetooth file transfer, songs can only be downloaded using extra apps such as easy ringtone. Better to stick to download on pc and then transfer to phone via zune. Only 8gb memory and non expandable

Pros for any android phone: expandable memory, bluetooth file transfer, lots of apps(but now even windoes phone has most of those apps)

Phones you can look into within your price range:- Galaxy Ace+, Htc wildfire S, sony ericson neoV, samsung omnia W(superAMOLED screen vs lumia 710s Lcd) and if you could increase till 18k, id suggest you look no further than Htc One V. Flipkart is currently also giving 16gb memory card free with it.
Try to avoid blackberry if you can even though their service centers are very good.
Samsung wave 3 is also a good contender even though its not android. Nokia symbian phones will be out of date pretty soon with Nokia trying to kill that OS.
Windowsphone and Android is the way to go these days

P.s another member Shankar.balan sir also has the lumia 710. You may ask him about his experience with the phone.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 27th April 2012 at 16:13.
Old 27th April 2012, 15:54   #8800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
My dad has 2 requirements. It has to be either Samsung or Nokia. Another is it should be touch screen and easy to use. i did go through the last two pages. But i wanted to know the user experience of Samsung Ace plus and/or Lumia 710. Let me know how was yours.
If you/your dad is not averse to Symbian OS, you may check out the Symbian offerings from Nokia. Symbian phones are great VFM package, easy to use and provide the best battery backup.

My pick would be Nokia 603 - it packs great features at an affordable price.

Rohan
Old 27th April 2012, 16:19   #8801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987
I just upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Ace firmware to GINGERBREAD.DDKQ8, Android version : 2.3.6.

But now, Samsung Kies isn't working.

I read on some forum that Kies will not work on 2.3.6.

So, how do I transfer data?!
Have you tried directly transferring files via My Computer? I mean just like youd tranfer files to a pendrive. By enabling usb mass storage mode. No need of Kies for that.

Alternatively,If samsung Kies with pc isnt working, try using the kies air application in case youve a wifi router at home. Kies will then connect to your pc via wifi and you can transfer files easily. I am using this method ever since i discovered it
Old 27th April 2012, 16:25   #8802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Cons for lumia 710: lack of bluetooth file transfer, songs can only be downloaded using extra apps such as easy ringtone. Better to stick to download on pc and then transfer to phone via zune. Only 8gb memory and non expandable
You forgot a major con (in any WP phone) - lack of USSD. Without that you won't be able to activate plans and a lot of other stuff, depending on your operator. Many other services are also available on USSD which will become inaccessible. For eg. in Docomo, Weekly/Daily/data/on-net/etc plans have to be activated only thru USSD. That rules out WP for me at least. :(

Interesting video - lead designer Shigeaki Suzuki on the Xperia ST18i:

Old 27th April 2012, 16:46   #8803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I'm also looking for some app that can provide turn by turn instructions while driving. Not too comfy peeping into the phone every now and then. Nokia's OVI maps are just great for this feature and are pin point accurate.

I tried navigation and google maps on my Galaxy Ace+ but it says Google Maps Navigation not available for this location (Blore) and suggests i use directions which are not voice guided.

Experts, any pointers please?
Just go thru page No. 160 of the dedicated satnav thread. You will get your answer. Works flawlessly
Old 27th April 2012, 18:06   #8804
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Have you tried directly transferring files via My Computer? I mean just like youd tranfer files to a pendrive. By enabling usb mass storage mode. No need of Kies for that.

Alternatively,If samsung Kies with pc isnt working, try using the kies air application in case youve a wifi router at home. Kies will then connect to your pc via wifi and you can transfer files easily. I am using this method ever since i discovered it
It is behaving in a rather strange manner.

When I connect the phone and start Kies, it shows a connection error. When I uncheck USB Debugging in Development under Applications menu, Kies tries to search for manner. And then immediately, the USB Debugging is automatically checked.

I have no business with Kies actually; just need to restore the contacts :P

Also, for some reason I can't see my phone in my computer.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th April 2012 at 18:10.
Old 27th April 2012, 18:25   #8805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987

It is behaving in a rather strange manner.

When I connect the phone and start Kies, it shows a connection error. When I uncheck USB Debugging in Development under Applications menu, Kies tries to search for manner. And then immediately, the USB Debugging is automatically checked.

I have no business with Kies actually; just need to restore the contacts :P

Also, for some reason I can't see my phone in my computer.
I faced the same problem when I first installed Kies. I got a connection error then windows started downloading drivers but unsuccessfully.
I did the following:
1. Went to device manager in My computer properties
2. Deleted the Usb device that corresponded to my Galaxy Note. It showed up as USB mass storage device.
3. Uninstalled Kies.
4. Restarted my computer
5. Connected my phone and checked if it was getting detected. Showed up on My computer as a pendrive. Was able to transfer files.
6. Reinstalled Kies and rebooted laptop.
7. Now restarted Kies. There was an option to connect device. Selected that and Kies attempted to connect to my phone.
8. Connection successful.

BTW have you updated Kies on your pc too? If not then please get the latest version as along with the update for phones a newer kies for pc was also released.

9. Discovered Kies Air. Fell in love with it. Bye bye to Kies for the pc.

Hope this helps.
Or else email the contacts file that you backed up on your pc to the email account you have synced on your phone.
P.s try to resolve the connection issues from the kies on pc. It has a separate tool that says " Solve connection issues" whenever you get connection error it shows that option in the same dialog box.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 27th April 2012 at 18:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks