Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 20:03   #10186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Android: More free applications than Iphone
Add to that the absolute freedom you get with regards to choice of features and softwares.
Widgets are completely absent in the iphone. Add to that, the restrictions in music, bluetooth etc. I've used the Iphone 4 before switching to an android phone half the price ( Galaxy SL ). I would never go back to the iphone after the switch. Right now, I'm on Galaxy Note and absolutely love it.
Old 19th July 2012, 21:47   #10187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Any ROMs that would help revitalize the I 5801? or should it retire ?
Yesterday I flashed ICS cm9 on my defy.

Also today I flashed one cm7.2 based kryill 10.5 ROM on my friend's Galaxy 3. He was so frustrated with his phone that he was about to buy a new one, but he changed his mind after playing around with his newborn galaxy 3 with 1 Ghz OC
(His model no changed to i5800 after the flash.)

You can give it a try. Its one zip containing root, kernel & other stuffs.
Also there are many other ROMS on XDA with method using Odin & CWM recovery both. Even they have ICS for g3
Old 19th July 2012, 22:17   #10188
Senior - BHPian

CM9 is so far doing well on my (wife's) defy. Really stable and quite cool for everyday use. No lag or any FC whatsoever
Old 19th July 2012, 23:27   #10189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Install touchpal keyboard from playstore. It has swype and other additional gestures as well.
Install ex-Dialer app from playstore. It has the same gestures and is faster than the Samsung contacts/dialer app.
MIUI lock screens used to have this feature. You might have to explore custom lock screens here.
Go launcher is more aesthetic, but is also heavy on system resource usage.
Thanks Amalji for the pointers will update the phone today with these.
I'm also thinking about trying out ICS on my phone although it is probably not yet stable. Should I try or enjoy CM7 itself as it's a stable version.
Regards,
Old 20th July 2012, 00:03   #10190
Team-BHP Support

My Galaxy Ace that I'd upgraded to Gingerbread some time back has a big bug.

The moment the battery comes down to 18%, I get a notification saying "Charging (18%)" and then the % decreases as the battery health goes down.

So, static charging?!
Old 20th July 2012, 08:51   #10191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Thanks Amalji for the pointers will update the phone today with these.
I'm also thinking about trying out ICS on my phone although it is probably not yet stable. Should I try or enjoy CM7 itself as it's a stable version.
Regards,
Enjoy CM7 for now. I still miss the performance of Gingerbread on my Galaxy Note ( I've switched to ICS )

4.1 would be a better upgrade. Wait for a stable 4.1 release for Galaxy S. To see how they made it faster on 4.1, check out Getting To Know Android 4.1, Part 3: Project Butter - How It Works And What It Added
Old 20th July 2012, 09:10   #10192
Senior - BHPian

After various inputs from phamilyman, sun, bhpmaniac and others I took the plunge and took the effort of reading and rooting my defy + and installed CM9 ICS 4.0.4 and I must say the phone has become super smooth and responsive. I did face some random reboot and lag initially but then one clean wipe and reinstall solved my issues. Gone are the days of FC or lag

Other thing I noticed is the clarity in fonts & icons. All is sharp and crisp now.

Some screen shots attached.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120720_090844.png
Views: 543
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120720_090916.png
Views: 531
Size:  162.7 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120720_090833.png
Views: 536
Size:  151.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120720_090824.png
Views: 585
Size:  144.7 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120720_090812.png
Views: 579
Size:  81.8 KB

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 20th July 2012 at 09:11.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:06   #10193
Senior - BHPian

I can confirm that CM9 is not supporting phone bluetooth. Specially while pairing with cars.

I was on CM9 and today morning flashed ICS stock and i paired with my Car.

CM9 BT seems to have some issues. Trying to find if a kernel fix can help BT connectivity.

Criselko rom is not bad. But AOKP project ROM for Note is having problems with Milestone 6 package. Lots of SOD.
Old 20th July 2012, 13:54   #10194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
After various inputs from phamilyman, sun, bhpmaniac and others I took the plunge and took the effort of reading and rooting my defy + and installed CM9 ICS 4.0.4 and I must say the phone has become super smooth and responsive. I did face some random reboot and lag initially but then one clean wipe and reinstall solved my issues. Gone are the days of FC or lag
The door of customization is now open for you You can now play around with one of the most customizable androids out there Do check out lot of ROMs before finalizing one. For a start, you can try MIUI (there are lot of variants of this one) and also lot of CM variants. Have fun.
Old 20th July 2012, 14:06   #10195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
CM9 is so far doing well on my (wife's) defy. Really stable and quite cool for everyday use. No lag or any FC whatsoever
Sir flash the latest nightly (14-Jul), comes with selective HW Acceleration. Also install the V6 supercharger. My phone is flying, no FC, Fast and good battery life.
Old 20th July 2012, 15:39   #10196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Other thing I noticed is the clarity in fonts & icons. All is sharp and crisp now.
That does look very nice indeed, but...

I'm only an occasional phone user anyway, and although I happily rooted my Defy+, and although I have read that, given a bit of care and attention, it is actually a hard phone to brick and a farely safe one to play around with, I won't risk flashing. Or not yet, anyway. Any slowness or lag is not enough to annoy me.
Old 20th July 2012, 16:08   #10197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Just make sure that the screen resolution is higher or equal to 800*480 and the Ram =/>512 mb and you're good.

I suggest you up your budget by a wee bit and get any of the dual-core monsters.The Atrix2 is a VFM buy at 21k
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
I will advise you to have a look at HTC One V as well. It comes with ICS pre installed.
Bought Atrix 2 from Flipkart on EMI.

Did I like it? I was using a BB Curve so big difference !

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
Loaded llama, gallery lock and of course TBHP app
will need your help!
Old 20th July 2012, 18:29   #10198
Ali
BHPian

[quote=h@r$h@l;2845683]After various inputs from phamilyman, sun, bhpmaniac and others I took the plunge and took the effort of reading and rooting my defy + and installed CM9 ICS 4.0.4 and I must say the phone has become super smooth and responsive. I did face some random reboot and lag initially but then one clean wipe and reinstall solved my issues. Gone are the days of FC or lag

Awesome, can you send me a link for tutorial for this. i need to do it.
Old 20th July 2012, 20:32   #10199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After various inputs from phamilyman, sun, bhpmaniac and others I took the plunge and took the effort of reading and rooting my defy + and installed CM9 ICS 4.0.4 and I must say the phone has become super smooth and responsive.
you are welcome

for what its worth though - i think sense widgets or the beautiful/HD widgets clock/weather looks beautiful - the stock clock as seen in harshal's screen shot. Buy them at the next google play sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Sir flash the latest nightly (14-Jul), comes with selective HW Acceleration. Also install the V6 supercharger. My phone is flying, no FC, Fast and good battery life.
Sirji - the 5th one has full HWA - is the 14th much better? It already runs the kiddie apps & angry birds my wife needs. It is damn neat without the supercharger. I'll wait for some more stability and a rom with supercharger built in

I can confirm the 5th July has no random reboots or any serious FC issues. Else I would be sleeping in the balcony and not getting food
Old 20th July 2012, 20:44   #10200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Sirji - the 5th one has full HWA - is the 14th much better?
I found the 14'th one much better, the issue with full HWA is that it causes few apps not optimized for that to behave funnily. The 14'th one has a HWA selector app which allows the user to choose which app to run in HWA mode. Having said that, its a better idea to let the phone as is since you wife's using it. You cannot fully trust these nightlys,they can behave differently on different phones(red/green lense and what not). Even I am waiting for the V6 integrated rom

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks