Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 16:39   #11071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Please post a mini review if possible. Isn't the 16GB non expandable memory a handicap?? If your views are favorable then i may give this phone a second look.
Sure. Let me receive the phone and use it for a few days and I will post a mini-experience of the same. From all the reviews and feedback I could gather from real owners, everyone recommended the phone.
The only handicap was the 16GB limit, but considering that I was not able to fill up my 16GB card in 1 year of using my SG-Ace, I am presuming that this would be sufficient for me over the next 2 years or so (Fingers crossed). In fact I still had around 6-7 GB free when I lost the phone.
Old 30th August 2012, 17:30   #11072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
why should I pay the 2-3K INR markup for the same? Yes, it is a risk, but then so is driving.
It is NOT the same. I have the chacha, complete with 2nd year warranty. Yet, i unlocked the bootloader because the OEM ROM was a piece of crap.

Now in under 3 months, my touchscreen has gone to the dogs.

I am left with a phone resaleable worth 4k, asking for repairs between 2-2.5k. HTC service center has indicated the unlocking the bootloader means no warranty for touchscreen. Now I am pullin my hair out till the screen survives, then it becomes daksh's latest teether. Even now, its simply cranky with no indication of when/how it will work or not work. This stupid Sense does not even have an option of disabling the lock screen.

Modding != HTC

EDIT: buying a non-HTC like motorola is good. atleast you can flash a fixed SBF, and then claim warranty with none the wiser. With HTC, the system picks up the IMEI as unlocked, then kiss warranty goodbye.

Last edited by phamilyman : 30th August 2012 at 17:31.
Old 30th August 2012, 19:49   #11073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

It is NOT the same. I have the chacha, complete with 2nd year warranty. Yet, i unlocked the bootloader because the OEM ROM was a piece of crap.

Now in under 3 months, my touchscreen has gone to the dogs.

I am left with a phone resaleable worth 4k, asking for repairs between 2-2.5k. HTC service center has indicated the unlocking the bootloader means no warranty for touchscreen. Now I am pullin my hair out till the screen survives, then it becomes daksh's latest teether. Even now, its simply cranky with no indication of when/how it will work or not work. This stupid Sense does not even have an option of disabling the lock screen.

Modding != HTC

EDIT: buying a non-HTC like motorola is good. atleast you can flash a fixed SBF, and then claim warranty with none the wiser. With HTC, the system picks up the IMEI as unlocked, then kiss warranty goodbye.
I understand difference between HTC and others, but our friend is distinguishing between Indian and foreign HTC. The difference is 3k and since he's going to root anyway, he's will loose guarantee anyhow. So why should he pay for guarantee that he is going to forego on the 1st day? Or am I missing some point?
Old 30th August 2012, 20:05   #11074
BHPian

My experience with dealer warranty has been very bad. With Samsung official warranty, I got a refund for my Galaxy R after 6 months of usage as the camera was malfunctioning.
Old 30th August 2012, 21:14   #11075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
I understand difference between HTC and others, but our friend is distinguishing between Indian and foreign HTC. The difference is 3k and since he's going to root anyway, he's will loose guarantee anyhow. So why should he pay for guarantee that he is going to forego on the 1st day? Or am I missing some point?
Rooting doesnt mean you lose warranty. There are ways to unroot and bring it back to stock.

I had rooted my Samsung Galaxy Ace when I got it last year. Installed as many as 4 different custom ROMs in a span of 2+ months. One day the touchscreen went kaput. I unrooted, flashed stock ROM and gave it for repair. Got it back as good as a brand new phone.

That's exactly what I was trying to tell you in the last post too. Rooting is *just* gaining admin rights. You can go back to stock if you want. And that exactly is where a locked bootloader helps! But if you unlock the BL, essentially it stores an entry in the system ROM which is attached to IMEI (what happened to Hitanshu I guess!).

That's why when you try to unlock BL on Moto's site, it states warranty would be void.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 30th August 2012 at 21:16.
Old 30th August 2012, 21:48   #11076
Senior - BHPian

Micromax A90

This site seems to think that the Micromax A90 will be sold in stores with dual-core.

http://www.bgr.in/news/micromax-supe...moled-display/
Old 30th August 2012, 22:32   #11077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Rooting doesnt mean you lose warranty. There are ways to unroot and bring it back to stock.

I had rooted my Samsung Galaxy Ace when I got it last year. Installed as many as 4 different custom ROMs in a span of 2+ months. One day the touchscreen went kaput. I unrooted, flashed stock ROM and gave it for repair. Got it back as good as a brand new phone.

That's exactly what I was trying to tell you in the last post too. Rooting is *just* gaining admin rights. You can go back to stock if you want. And that exactly is where a locked bootloader helps! But if you unlock the BL, essentially it stores an entry in the system ROM which is attached to IMEI (what happened to Hitanshu I guess!).

That's why when you try to unlock BL on Moto's site, it states warranty would be void.
Rooting an HTC does mean loss of warranty. Certainly if you unlock the bootloader.
Old 30th August 2012, 22:36   #11078
Senior - BHPian

Re: Micromax A90

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
This site seems to think that the Micromax A90 will be sold in stores with dual-core.

http://www.bgr.in/news/micromax-supe...moled-display/
It is already in the stores and is being sold with single core processor

Guys, I am badly confused between One V and A90. My heart is set on A90, Where as mind says to go with One V

Please help me out, I will be retaining the phone for 1.5 yrs.

Will micromax last, Any long term micromax users here ?

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 30th August 2012, 22:38   #11079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

Guys, I am badly confused between One V and A90. My heart is set on A90, Where as mind says to go with One V

Please help me out, I will be retaining the phone for 1.5 yrs.

Will micromax last, Any long term micromax users here ?

Cheers,
Sameer
Thanks for clearing that up! But what is the price of the One V? For me, it will have to be the A90. And I have been offered 4k for my working P500. So it is a good deal.

Also, what is the price of the A90 in stores?
Old 30th August 2012, 22:48   #11080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Thanks for clearing that up! But what is the price of the One V? For me, it will have to be the A90. And I have been offered 4k for my working P500. So it is a good deal.

Also, what is the price of the A90 in stores?
One V is for around 17.5k online, A90 is online for 12990/-, at offline stores, I guess you can get one for around 12500/-.

A90 specs are too tempting, Plus looks hot.

I am still confused.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 30th August 2012, 23:02   #11081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Is it? I couldn't find one last week when I was hunting down the A100. Good for me, might have been lured to spend an additional 3k for the A90 over A100

Quote:
lol. That is a tough cookie to crack. As master Yoda would put it - The correct path, you'll have to choose.
Old 30th August 2012, 23:08   #11082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Is it? I couldn't find one last week when I was hunting down the A100. Good for me, might have been lured to spend an additional 3k for the A90 over A100

lol. That is a tough cookie to crack. As master Yoda would put it - The correct path, you'll have to choose.
I am ready to pay extra 3k over A100, just because of better GPU and better camera in A90 over A100.

lol, My dad says go ahead with A90 ( one reason- It's cheap over One v ). I am damn confused.
Old 30th August 2012, 23:57   #11083
BANNED

Yesterday, samsung mobile twitted. "#GALAXYSIII, #GALAXYNote and #GALAXYNote 10.1 will get Android 4.1 Jellybean soon!".
Good news for Galaxy note users (including me ). Looks like SGS2 has to wait more time. Could be because of the ongoing dispute with Apple.
Old 31st August 2012, 00:16   #11084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani

Rooting an HTC does mean loss of warranty. Certainly if you unlock the bootloader.
you're again confusing between rooting and unlocking bootloader! Technically all manufacturers explicitly say that rooting will void warranty.

But practically, you can unroot a phone and they won't know. But you can't re-lock the bootloader na?
Old 31st August 2012, 00:20   #11085
Team-BHP Support

How good is this Jelly Bean for Defy? I mean stability wise...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1768702

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks