Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 16:18   #11176
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

LINK : VIDEO REVIEW OF MICROMAX A100;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2892447

Thanks

Last edited by karan561 : 4th September 2012 at 16:37.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:08   #11177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Motorola closing down their operations in india. Does it mean that there will be no service centres of there phones as well?

Yesterday, Reliance digital showes a price of 10.9K for the only piece left for defy+ mobile. What an incredible price!!
Service centers will continue. Have posted on this subject a couple of pages back!
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/motorola-...286585-11.html

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 4th September 2012 at 18:10.
Old 4th September 2012, 19:52   #11178
Senior - BHPian

Galaxy S3 going silent spontaneously!

My phone, at times, seems to have a mind of its own. When an incoming call comes, the phone (as if it knows that call isn’t important :P), within a second of ringing, switches itself to silent mode.

I can confidently say that nothing was touching the phone and nor was it in my pocket when these happened.

Also, the phone was NOT in facing-down position that is how you’re normally supposed to silent the S3.

Anyone got similar experiences? Solutions?
Old 4th September 2012, 23:15   #11179
BANNED

Xperia U Feedback Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi All please clear my doubts
1.Samsung S Advance or HTC one V
2. Will S advance get ICS upgrade - When?
3.Dual core or Single Core

A friend needs a phone with 20k budget and needs Front Cam,Good battery,Latest software (ICS) or atleast upgradable

Thanks !
Ok now after going thru lots of reviews and visiting shops arrived tat Xperia U.Advance has been stopped due to problem in hardware and only dual camera phone with ICS upgrade and dual core process was XPERIA U

Any feedback on XPERIA U?
Old 4th September 2012, 23:43   #11180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post

Any feedback on XPERIA U?
if you can live with 4 gb internal memory which is not expandable ever then you can go ahead with this phone.

However do consider htc one v, i recently got one and very happy with it. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2891454

Flipkart is selling one v for around 17.7K.

Edit: just saw your requirement of front camera, then i guess you have no choice except U.
Old 5th September 2012, 02:45   #11181
Senior - BHPian

A rather elementary question came up today when a friend was buying a tablet - if one buys apps for one's mobile, can they also be used on a tab? And what about shifting to a new phone? I'm guessing (and hoping!) that as long as one logs in from the Google account from which the apps were purchased, all the paid apps should be available for download (and updating). But is this so? I certainly hope they don't expect the same user to pay again for using on another Android device...

Can anybody who has actually tried it please clarify?
Old 5th September 2012, 02:58   #11182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
A rather elementary question came up today when a friend was buying a tablet - if one buys apps for one's mobile, can they also be used on a tab? And what about shifting to a new phone? I'm guessing (and hoping!) that as long as one logs in from the Google account from which the apps were purchased, all the paid apps should be available for download (and updating). But is this so? I certainly hope they don't expect the same user to pay again for using on another Android device...

Can anybody who has actually tried it please clarify?
Once you pay for an app, you can download that app on n number of android devices using same Google account. The app purchase is not restricted to a device, but it is tied to a Google account. I do it for mine and my wife's android. So practically you have to purchase the app only once for your entire family.

Regarding using the app on a tablet device, that will depend if the same app is designed to be run on both mobile phones and tablets. For example, Swiftkey Keyboard has separate apps for mobile phones and tablets and you need to purchase them separately.
Old 5th September 2012, 03:32   #11183
Senior - BHPian

How can I confirm if I am getting 3g speeds on my airtel prepaid connection?
Old 5th September 2012, 06:49   #11184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt
How can I confirm if I am getting 3g speeds on my airtel prepaid connection?
well,if youve moved from 2g,you would straightaway know it. however,you could get speedtest from the market and youll know.
Old 5th September 2012, 07:13   #11185

Hello bhpians.

Try an app called TRUECALLER.

If you get any call from an unknown number, It actually detects that unknown number from the social networking sites and displays the NAME of the user.

Any person who is in facebook/twitter and if he/she (only he) has made the contact publicly available and if that person calls you, You can easily see their name popping up.

He/she should not only be your friend on Facebook, literally he/she can be anybody on Facebook.

If you have TRUECALLER, you need not save any new contacts from unknown numbers

PS: I am not the app developer nor I have any relation with app developer. I am sharing only because I found this interesting :-)
Old 5th September 2012, 07:48   #11186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi

Once you pay for an app, you can download that app on n number of android devices using same Google account. The app purchase is not restricted to a device, but it is tied to a Google account
My Google account is tied to my phone only but me and my brother manage to use the apps that are purchased using my account - how? We will just copy the apps from system/app of my phone!
Old 5th September 2012, 08:08   #11187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
My Google account is tied to my phone only but me and my brother manage to use the apps that are purchased using my account - how? We will just copy the apps from system/app of my phone!
Jugaad option eh? Thanks for that bit.

Wonder how is that allowed - similar to registry updates in Windows, isn't something similar required in our phones? I'm surprised none of the app-makers tested out that aspect.
Old 5th September 2012, 08:21   #11188
BHPian

Quote:
When I said the app is tied to the Google account, I meant it for legitimate ways. I don't think it checks for the same Google account to be present on the device for the app to work. It is required only to install it from the Play Store. Of course you can copy the files over to a different device and it would run just fine.

Instead of taking doing the copy/paste, just add your Google account to your brother's mobile and use it to download the apps that are purchased using your account. You can even remove your account later once the app is installed.

Last edited by Gandhi : 5th September 2012 at 08:24.
Old 5th September 2012, 09:44   #11189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Service centers will continue. Have posted on this subject a couple of pages back!
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/motorola-...286585-11.html
Thanks for the confirmation. Though defy+ is an old model, none of the new models from competition has so much to offer as in defy+ at this price point.

If the service centres stay, then we can see new launch also from them in India. Not sure though.

Last edited by sups : 5th September 2012 at 09:46.
Old 5th September 2012, 10:03   #11190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesnt work for all. And soon may fail completely.

a. Newer apps (stuff like flick golf has done so for an year+) need connection to android market to validate themselves. even if you have no connection - u cant open some of them. so much for passing time in toilets now!

b. More importantly, google will always know what is happening on your phones. It would be storing such market conflict / apps installed without market information on its servers (remember the option to backup your account with google etc?). Why get into any trouble in the future later?

what u said, works only for system apps (user apps will be under /data) and can be done by app managers too

Most Viewed