Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2012, 16:46   #11551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici

Guys, need help here. The Wifi on my new Nexus connects for the first time and i am able surf, download etc but only for a short time. It detects the wifi modem and saves it but keeps searching for the IP Address. This happens after the 1st run of around 10 - 20 minutes. Then i need to switch off and switch on the wifi and again enter my wifi modem security password and the internet starts again.

Please help gurus. I am a bit worried here.
try to configure static ip.
Old 25th September 2012, 16:49   #11552
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Help requested from the resident Android sages!!

4 months back I bought a Samsung Galaxy Y to test the android world.

2 months back two small black spots - the size of pin heads appeared on the phone's screen. Day before yesterday the earpiece on the phone stopped functioning. The other party can be heard by activating the speakerphone option.

Promptly went to the Samsung service centre opposite Nehru Place in Delhi. The service center tech who attended to me said the phone was under warranty therefore I n---------------------------------------SNIP-------------------------------------that I have tried till now has been practically worthless.

Any pointers/guidance will be most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Like you said, she checked as an afterthought.
Why not take it to another samsung store and see if you can get away.
If there is a crack, then more or less youre out of luck.

Recording bit, if youre willing to go custom rom, I think MIUI has this built in.
At least MIUI on x10 does.
It automatically records and saves all conversations.
Else, with android, its mostly a trial and error to find the piece of software that you like best, and which works well for you off the market.
Old 25th September 2012, 17:48   #11553
BHPian

My mom recently bought an SGS2. The phone info states the model as I9100, and not I9100G. Has Samsung stopped selling the 9100G and resumed selling the I9100 model?
Old 25th September 2012, 19:54   #11554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Like you said, she checked as an afterthought.
Why not take it to another samsung store and see if you can get away.
Else, with android, its mostly a trial and error to find the piece of software
that you like best, and which works well for you off the market.
Thanks for your response. I had almost given up on the damn thing. Today I have taken up the issue with Samsung customer care. Let us see how they respond. Worst case scenario - I will get a paid repair done and will keep the phone as a standby for anyone in the family who may need one. One thing is clear , I am not the only guy who felt he was being shortchanged in that service center - there were loads of folks there who were complaining and very angry. Hubris a la Nokia Oyj. No more Samsungs for my family at least.
Old 25th September 2012, 21:06   #11555
Senior - BHPian

Now using SGS2 on CM10

The phone has never been this quick and smooth.
Old 25th September 2012, 21:16   #11556
Senior - BHPian

SGS2 and CM10 are not really good with battery. Currently best on battery is CM7 and Stock ICS
Old 26th September 2012, 08:31   #11557
Senior - BHPian

I found this Tab really interesting, and at this cost, I am sure its worth a try So, just ordered one

http://www.flipkart.com/bsnl-penta-i...BDCBR7FZP5FUEP

Anyone have any experience with this pentel tabs? All reviews are positive, and hence i am very curious.
Old 26th September 2012, 08:46   #11558
BANNED

^^

before buying an Android phone or Tablet always make sure that you are purchasing the Google Play supported devices. or else you have to search for app from different sources. Updating your existing apps also will be a pain if the device is not supporting Google Play.

Quote:
The tab will promise you some pre-loaded apps but I did not receive gmail, play store, angry birds. I put in gmail and play store through my computer, but both of them do not work. But I just read a review below that has a software update link from Penta and apparently that helps.
For a complete list to Google Play supported device follow the below link:

http://support.google.com/googleplay...answer=1727131
Old 26th September 2012, 08:54   #11559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I found this Tab really interesting, and at this cost, I am sure its worth a try So, just ordered one

Anyone have any experience with this pentel tabs? All reviews are positive, and hence i am very curious.
The reviews do sound good. Please do let us know your feedback once you get it , all the best .
The only one factor which I wish they address is to provide a sim card slot. They need not support calls, but at least enable the datacard part.
Using an external USB dongle to browse when on the move is a pain.
Old 26th September 2012, 09:49   #11560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

Awaiting your feedback - I too found the reviews good - I'm interested in the display resolution and ability to read browse and enjoy photos and videos!
Old 26th September 2012, 10:31   #11561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Awaiting your feedback - I too found the reviews good - I'm interested in the display resolution and ability to read browse and enjoy photos and videos!
A friend of mine have this device. Resolution is good enough for movies. For reading and browsing, resolution seems to be not so good. Rest everything is good. Its snappy and doesn't lag as such if you're an ordinary user
Old 26th September 2012, 11:27   #11562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
before buying an Android phone or Tablet always make sure that you are purchasing the Google Play supported devices. or else you have to search for app from different sources. Updating your existing apps also will be a pain if the device is not supporting Google Play.
I suppose that, if the device can be rooted, the Google Apps can be installed? But just-works is still immensely preferable.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:41   #11563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I suppose that, if the device can be rooted, the Google Apps can be installed? But just-works is still immensely preferable.
It is not about rooting , Google insists on passing Google Compliance Test suit with around 25000 test cases before they certify the device and allow to connect to Google Play. Many of these tests are essential to google's business like where and how search bar should appear :-P

While software of the handset is open source under Apache v2.0 license and anyone can modify and make their own code base and device. The Google services APIs ( Play , maps , gmail etc) have another license.

So anyone can make an Android handset / Tablet ( example Amazon Kindle Fire) but for connecting to Google Play store it should be compliant device.

There may be cases where Google has not turned off the tap on non-compliant devices but they can do so very easily if they want to.

I hope this clarifies.

Last edited by amitk26 : 26th September 2012 at 12:42.
Old 26th September 2012, 14:27   #11564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
try to configure static ip.
Hi, I did try to configure the static IP but to no avail. I searched the internet forums and found out that the ICS has a Wifi connectivity issue. When i start the wifi modem and my Gnexus i am able to connect and surf etc for around 15 minutes, later the phone keeps trying to 'obtain IP Address'. I had also downloaded Samsung AllShare but didnt work as was stated in some forum. Then i downloaded Wifi Fix app and then i could stretch the duration to around 30 minutes before it got disconnected again.

Its seems like a pain to get it sorted. I tried configuring the Static IP as mentioned in different forums but doesnt work. I want to download JB but since the wifi gets disconnected, there is no way i can do that.

Gurus, please help me.

1) Is there a surefire way to sort this
2) Can i connect my phone to the laptop on which there is an active internet connection and download JB onto the Phone. Is it possible. I had upgraded from Symbian Anna to Belle by using the Nokia Suite for my C6-01 but i dont see any such software for samsung phones. Please clarify.

Many Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 14:37   #11565
BANNED

Hi All,
Its been a fortnight since I ve begun to use the SGS-3 and while I love its UI and sensitivity, there are a few areas which are simply disappointing.

1. Data connectivity:
This was one of the main reasons I purchased this phone and it has left me disappointed. When in my local circle, it takes a very long time (around 5 minutes) to open basic apps like FB. As I type this, FB still fails to open in one attempt though I have a full signal.
Things become worse when roaming. It simply breaks off the connection with a notification which says that I ve lost data connectivity since I m roaming. To make it work, I need to go to the network settings page, turn off data, turn it back again, multiple times and then it begins to work, only to get disconnected in some time.

Any remedies?

3. Voice inputs do not work.

The Voice input doesn't work on my phone but I am not bothered about it.

2. Antenna Reception:
I was at Ladakh all of last week with 3 friends who had BB phones. Whenever we came back to Leh, their phones would very quickly pick up the signal while this elephant would take its own sweet time (more than 5 minutes). Even when turning it on after landing, it was much slower than other phones on the aircraft.

Any pointers?

The above issues, IMO are very critical to the performance of a smart phone and hence the frustration.

Last edited by n.devdath : 26th September 2012 at 14:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks