Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2012, 14:34   #11596
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Nokia fanboy since beginning, looking for a android based phone with good battery. Under 10K. Suggestions?
Old 27th September 2012, 14:36   #11597
Senior - BHPian

I upgraded to JB yesterday night on the nexus. I am still having Wifi Issues.

My connection is a cable modem. The Internet Cable is attached to the Belkin G Wifi Router. I used to use the wifi flawlessly for my Laptop and also for my Nokia C6-01.

After i connect to wifi, i need to open a webpage (the cable operators webpage) where i enter my login credentials and then the internet connection is active.

I do that same via the nexus and it connects. However within 15 - 20 minutes, it disconnects. Inspite of using Wifi Fixer App, i dont see a solution. Yesterday while downloading JB, i had to keep checking every few minutes whether the wifi is connected. If not, then switch off and switch on the router and connect again. This is how i downloaded JB and installed. One good thing was that the broken connection didnt mean downloading the entire package again, it resumed from where the connection broke.

I am finding this wifi issue to be a pain now. I cannot reset the router as Harshal suggested as that would mean getting the router back to factory setting and setting up the router is another pain (that i had endured some years back when i had brought the router).

Can someone please help me out.
Old 27th September 2012, 14:52   #11598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I upgraded to JB yesterday night on the nexus. I am still having Wifi Issues.

My connection is a cable modem. The Internet Cable is attached to the Belkin G Wifi Router. I used to use the wifi flawlessly for my Laptop and also for my Nokia C6-01.

After i connect to wifi, i need to open a webpage (the cable operators webpage) where i enter my login credentials and then the internet connection is active.

I do that same via the nexus and it connects. However within 15 - 20 minutes, it disconnects. Inspite of using Wifi Fixer App, i dont see a solution. Yesterday while downloading JB, i had to keep checking every few minutes whether the wifi is connected. If not, then switch off and switch on the router and connect again. This is how i downloaded JB and installed. One good thing was that the broken connection didnt mean downloading the entire package again, it resumed from where the connection broke.

I am finding this wifi issue to be a pain now. I cannot reset the router as Harshal suggested as that would mean getting the router back to factory setting and setting up the router is another pain (that i had endured some years back when i had brought the router).

Can someone please help me out.
I too have the galaxy nexus currently running JB, in general I have noted that the wifi catching ability of G Nexus is on the weaker side, especially if wifi in the area is weak. Case point my Ipad (1st Gen), iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 4G still holds the wifi better than the nexus.

Also does the internet drop only on the phone or all connected devices. Some cable companies, make you login again after 15-20 min of inactivity.(I faced this issue with hathway internet)

One final solution, try doing a full factory reset on your phone and then try entering the settings again on the Nexus.
Old 27th September 2012, 14:54   #11599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Well, those lines kept fading through the day and now its gone !! Hope it stays that way and they don't reappear

Yes, 3G is a battery drainer. I'm guessing you must be using your phone a lot, like browsing, etc. With 3G on full time I get about 15-16 hrs. I'm on vodafone & the network issue has been resolved with the ICS update.
Not at all, thats what concerns me. I am just an average user. Around 10-15 official emails and calls are bare minimum Nice to hear the network issue was resolved with ICS. I am yet to upgrade to ICS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I am on 3G.

I dont browse much. Mainly office mails/personal mails, some apps (fb/bhp/g+ etc).
With that it lasts during the day till I go to sleep.

After ICS upgrade it became pathetic. It used die by 5PM itself. Then I read some where about to do factory reset. That helped.

But yes, as Tarun said, in general 3G radio drains battery big time.

(Do back-up before, if you want to save your data)
Seems like I have to live with it. Seeing battery life of around 2 days on 2G I was expecting something around a full day. My Neo used to have 24hrs plus easily as per my usage pattern on 3G. But Neo would die at around 1.5day on 2G. It means, Atrix 2 is draining battery much faster on 3G network.
Old 27th September 2012, 14:56   #11600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
I too have the galaxy nexus currently running JB, in general I have noted that the wifi catching ability of G Nexus is on the weaker side, especially if wifi in the area is weak. Case point my Ipad (1st Gen), iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 4G still holds the wifi better than the nexus.

Also does the internet drop only on the phone or all connected devices. Some cable companies, make you login again after 15-20 min of inactivity.(I faced this issue with hathway internet)

One final solution, try doing a full factory reset on your phone and then try entering the settings again on the Nexus.
No, The connection breaks only with nexus. I have kept my laptop on for the entire night and also my Nokia Phone, never ever has the connection got broken. i keep the nexus a feet away from the router but still. I shall try the factory reset. Will the factory reset delete my downloaded apps? I hope not.

Last edited by Desmosedici : 27th September 2012 at 14:57.
Old 27th September 2012, 15:01   #11601
Senior - BHPian

Incase some folks have missed it! Some apps available for 25 cents for a limited time!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...bGlvbl9fSU4iXQ..

Enjoy!
Old 27th September 2012, 15:09   #11602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
No, The connection breaks only with nexus. I have kept my laptop on for the entire night and also my Nokia Phone, never ever has the connection got broken. i keep the nexus a feet away from the router but still. I shall try the factory reset. Will the factory reset delete my downloaded apps? I hope not.
Yep factory reset will delete all the apps on the phone and their data.If you have downloaded apps from Google Play store re downloading them is a cinch.

My suggestion is not to use the backup feature offered by google for settings, use them for your contacts etc. As this will only put the old settings back .

Sid
Old 27th September 2012, 16:00   #11603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
Yep factory reset will delete all the apps on the phone and their data.If you have downloaded apps from Google Play store re downloading them is a cinch.

My suggestion is not to use the backup feature offered by google for settings, use them for your contacts etc. As this will only put the old settings back .

Sid
Thanks Sid. I shall try this tonight and report back. Anyway all the apps downloaded are free ones. I just want to get the wifi issue sorted out.

Thanks...
Old 27th September 2012, 16:35   #11604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
people of the world, have you not seen:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...ate_25_billion
Shopoholic... just had to find something amongst the completely unwanted games. Bought Office Suite Pro 6 and Tasks.

$0.50 ... charged to a UK bank. I hope the bank doesn't charge me ten times as much for processing the currency!
Old 27th September 2012, 17:16   #11605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Saw and bought Asphalt. While purchasing, I noticed the size as 1.4G. Was surprised, but I thought this might be a typo. Now while downloading I know it wasn't
I thought there will be some tempting offers on some useful apps like on Titanium, SetCPU, Taptalk or something like instead of games. Anyways, went for Asphalt Heat, my son is not letting me to avoid the Asphalt offer.

BTW, are you sure about the data size is 1.4G, am half way through the downloading and it shows 1.37G.

Last edited by sajjt : 27th September 2012 at 17:19.
Old 27th September 2012, 17:24   #11606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Nokia fanboy since beginning, looking for a android based phone with good battery. Under 10K. Suggestions?
You can try this one :

Xperia Tipo. Comes with ICS out of the box.

Or , if you are okay with Karbonn , this one :
Karbonn A18

PS : My fancy has been caught by this :

Karbonn A7+. Waiting for someone on TBHP to order it and give a review before I buy it though..

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th September 2012 at 21:59. Reason: Edited offensive word
Old 27th September 2012, 20:18   #11607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
$0.50 ... charged to a UK bank. I hope the bank doesn't charge me ten times as much for processing the currency!
Sorry, I did not get you. Just curious to know how this "buy" works.

Do we need to pay using some credit card or register you card and get it debited whenever you buy?
Old 27th September 2012, 21:22   #11608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Sorry, I did not get you. Just curious to know how this "buy" works.

Do we need to pay using some credit card or register you card and get it debited whenever you buy?
Register your credit card once and it will be debited when you make a purchase.
Old 27th September 2012, 21:36   #11609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful
Incase some folks have missed it! Some apps available for 25 cents for a limited time!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...bGlvbl9fSU4iXQ..

Enjoy!
Bought the office pro today. Thanks for the link.
Old 27th September 2012, 21:48   #11610
Senior - BHPian

Galaxy S3 owners can feel a bit jealous now. Note II is launched at a very inviting price of INR 39990.

if only I was in the market for an upgrade (my HTC Sensation is still going strong)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks