Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 17:40   #11626
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

guys, finally managed to upgrade my ATRIX 2 from GB to ICS (OTA) that too at almost the end of the promised Q3 ICS release date for Atrix 2 from Motorola.

Had a minor scare while updating - the download over wi fi took a lot of time, the installation went ok and then there was something to do with apps. It said "Starting Applications" . This was where the phone got stuck for atleast an hour - and no response. Finally took the plunge and removed the battery expecting at the least the phone to revert back to gb and at the worst the phone to become a fancy brick.

Restarted, and thankfully I was sitting with ICS on my Atrix 2. one happy camper!

ICS looks slicks, and my phones coping well with it. My only issue currently is with the SD card - its a class 10 and the phone does not like that. Might pick up a Class 4 Kingston or Sandisk soon.

Till then will keep checking out what ICS has got to offer.

cheers!
Old 28th September 2012, 17:44   #11627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I read above in one of the posts that the JB update solved this. Since you are unable to download it through wifi, activate a 3G plan, or borrow a friends sim, download the update and see it it solves the problem.
Hi, i am running JB 4.1.1 JRO03C version (somehow had downloaded and updated). Unfortunately the problem has not gone.
Old 28th September 2012, 17:49   #11628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hi, i am running JB 4.1.1 JRO03C version (somehow had downloaded and updated). Unfortunately the problem has not gone.
Oops, have you tried a different router ? A friend of mine got the Nexus last week (bought it here in Pune) and the wifi works fine.
Old 28th September 2012, 17:57   #11629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Oops, have you tried a different router ? A friend of mine got the Nexus last week (bought it here in Pune) and the wifi works fine.
I havent tried a different router as this router has been working fine with all other devices. I will have to buy one to check and i am not going to do that. Still checking the forums to see what can be done. This issue has been reported by many users.
Old 28th September 2012, 17:57   #11630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911
Guys,

I am planning to install Cynogenmod 10 on my SGS3, and found out that there are "nightlies" that are released.

Will I have to flash almost everyday to get new updates?? Or there is something that lets me flash without loosing my apps and data?
You won't lose your apps/data when you flash the nighties. But to be on the safe side, do a nandroid backup.
Old 28th September 2012, 18:41   #11631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici

I havent tried a different router as this router has been working fine with all other devices. I will have to buy one to check and i am not going to do that. Still checking the forums to see what can be done. This issue has been reported by many users.
Another suggestion, if you have a laptop with windows 7 around, download connectify. This allows you to create a virtual hotspot. Try connecting to this hotspot and see if the problem still exists...
Old 28th September 2012, 18:57   #11632
BHPian

Quote:
What router are you using? Is it a dual band router , that operates at 5Ghz?
Old 28th September 2012, 19:17   #11633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
What router are you using? Is it a dual band router , that operates at 5Ghz?

I have a Belkin G Router which i have been using since last 2 years without any issues. Will have to check whether its dual band or not. But how will that have an effect on the disconnection as my HP Laptop and Nokia C6-01 work perfectly with that.
Old 28th September 2012, 21:03   #11634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Loved that game on PC, one of the best logic and creativity oriented games. If you have installed on your mobile, just how much resources does it need. Even the Alarm Twist and Paper Camera apps are good buys available for sale.
It runs very well without any lag on my GSII, so it should run quite smooth on most decent Androids. The game is very good and is well suited for touch screens ( unlike other PC to mobile games where the controls suck ). This game is perfect for touch screens and is a lot of fun. The levels are all the same ( as far as i can see ) as the PC game.
Old 28th September 2012, 21:23   #11635
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it happens when i leave the phone idle.
Check Advanced Wi-fi settings. There is an option which says Keep Wi-fi on during sleep. That might be the issue.
Old 28th September 2012, 21:46   #11636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi

Check Advanced Wi-fi settings. There is an option which says Keep Wi-fi on during sleep. That might be the issue.
You should click on advanced on the WiFi tab in settings and it should look like this

Name:  ForumRunner_20120928_214506.png
Views: 832
Size:  170.9 KB
Old 28th September 2012, 22:17   #11637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
You should click on advanced on the WiFi tab in settings and it should look like this

Attachment 993140
Tried that as well buddy. This is indeed a strange issue.
Am still searching online, hope to find a solution soon.
Old 28th September 2012, 22:29   #11638
BHPian

Quote:
Tried that as well buddy. This is indeed a strange issue.
Am still searching online, hope to find a solution soon.
I am not an expert on this. Please check if you are using any app to save your battery usage as these apps may disable data.
Old 29th September 2012, 02:03   #11639
Senior - BHPian

Finaly i think i nailed it. I being a noob was doing an incorrect IP Setup i think and just copying what was given in the forums without knowing that the IP provided there was for another router.

This is what i had found on one forum.
"From your android device, goto Settings > Wireless and networks > WiFi Settings > Click menu button (left) and select advanced.
You’ll see an option “use static IP” under IP settings section. Enable it and enter the following parameters.
IP address : 192.168.1.253
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DNS1: 8.8.4.4
DNS2: 4.4.4.4/8.8.8.8
This method works 100% when we tested it.
For samsung users, I have a pretty good trick which works very well.
When you have obtaining IP address problem,
1.Turn off wifi.
2.Open “Allshare”, then you will be asked to connect to a wifi network.
3.Then select the wifi network that you need to connect from the list opened.
Magically, you will be connected without any extra effort.This works 100% sure without fail."

I had tried copy pasting the above, it didnt work. I downloaded AllShare and it didnt work. I tried Wifi Fixer and it was the same. Even did a factory reset on the phone and the router as well.

Then i read this today.
"Disabled Firewall
2) Disabled WAN Ping Blocking
3) The most important part:
- Under Security, I changed the Wireless channel from '10' to '9'.
- Changed the Configuration from "802.11 b/g/n" to "802.11 g only".
- Changed the SSID name from say: "Belkin-Router" to "Belkin".
4) Applied changes and hurray, my phones got instantly connected."

So i did all the above steps and while doing that i noticed that the router IP is 192.168.2.1 (for Belkin) and not what was specified above plus the range specified in the router was between 2 to 100 so i chose one IP with the last numbers between 2 and 100.

Its now been connected since last 1 hour. I have been leaving it idle for sometime and then surfing and again leaving it idle.

Bingo. Its working fine as of now. Will check again tomorrow morning and post update.

A big ThankYou to all of you who have tirelessly suggested so many Tips & Tricks.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 29th September 2012, 11:32   #11640
BHPian

Quote:
So i did all the above steps and while doing that i noticed that the router IP is 192.168.2.1 (for Belkin) and not what was specified above plus the range specified in the router was between 2 to 100 so i chose one IP with the last numbers between 2 and 100.
Why you have to fall back to static IP is beyond me. Is this setting per wi-fi network or you have to change the setting when you connect to a different network?

I've never have to configure static IP for any of my android devices ever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks