Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2012, 18:24   #11671
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I am having problems with GPS on my galaxy Note after the recent update (which brought S3 UI). It's doesn't get locked easily. For 80% times, it doesn't work in the Car. This was not the case earlier. on GB and ICS 4.0.4 Aug update, it was getting locked in seconds.

Anybody else experiencing any issue. Any solution?
No issues so far. Yet to try in the car though.
Old 1st October 2012, 21:11   #11672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Thanks. I read the article but the post in which ClockWork Mod recovery is given is very confusing. There are so many options. I cannot understand which link to download. Can you help??
Which ROM are you planning to use?
Old 1st October 2012, 21:54   #11673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Which ROM are you planning to use?
I am planning to use cyanogenmod 9.1.
Old 1st October 2012, 22:24   #11674
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I am having problems with GPS on my galaxy Note after the recent update (which brought S3 UI). It's doesn't get locked easily. For 80% times, it doesn't work in the Car. This was not the case earlier. on GB and ICS 4.0.4 Aug update, it was getting locked in seconds.

Anybody else experiencing any issue. Any solution?
I am facing this problem and major after this update is battery draining.

second is rearranging of apps automatically,i wanted to go back to the earlier version of UI but dont know how to do it
Old 1st October 2012, 23:26   #11675
Senior - BHPian

I also realised that even if i add groups onto the Nexus, i cant send / forward any messages to the group. I will have to add each and every name one after the other. Whatever happened here. I am so not liking this and the absence of a smart dial function. I guess samsung, htc, sony android phones would have these features. :(
Old 1st October 2012, 23:41   #11676
BHPian

Hokayy folks,

Very many thanks to those of you who shared their experience with the Motorola Defy+ on the board. Got it today. Nice chunky feel, call quality is good and I am content that it is money well spent. Hope I haven't spoken too soon.

Question regarding the data card. Is it not removable? If it is, can someone please tell me how to go about it. All this technical stuff is too confounding for me.
Old 1st October 2012, 23:51   #11677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I also realised that even if i add groups onto the Nexus, i cant send / forward any messages to the group. I will have to add each and every name one after the other. Whatever happened here. I am so not liking this and the absence of a smart dial function.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what's stopping you from using a 3rd party apps like GoDailer Ex or others?
Old 1st October 2012, 23:51   #11678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici
I also realised that even if i add groups onto the Nexus, i cant send / forward any messages to the group. I will have to add each and every name one after the other. Whatever happened here. I am so not liking this and the absence of a smart dial function. I guess samsung, htc, sony android phones would have these features. :(
You can try Handcent SMS, solves most of the issues for the stock sms app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndcent.nextsms
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:27   #11679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what's stopping you from using a 3rd party apps like GoDailer Ex or others?
Ok sorry my bad as I wasn't aware of such apps however this is something very basic I would expect in Stock form. Wouldn't you now.
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:36   #11680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb

You can try Handcent SMS, solves most of the issues for the stock sms app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndcent.nextsms
Go dialer works but handcent doesn't support group sms. It asks for plugin installation but still doesn't work after that. I have made this the default message application.
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:46   #11681
BANNED

People - need some advice. All my life, I have always used the cheapest Nokia phone I could find (except for a cheap Sony in between when I needed a phone which could handle both Indian and US frequencies). My phone for the last 2 years is a Nokia costing Rs 1,400.

Now I want to buy an Android phone. So what's the cheapest good phone I can buy? I am interested only in these minimum features
1) Excellent Call Quality
2) Ability to send and receive SMS.
3) Android OS
4) Should allow me to set an Alarm
5) Should have a Silent and Vibrating mode
6) Allow me to browse websites (going to do it may be once a year - but it should allow it)

I don't care if it has a camera or not. I don't care if it allows me to play music etc.
I don't want one of the Indian brands like Micromax etc. I am looking for a brand which has been in mobile phones for a long time.

What do you guys recommend?

Last edited by carboy : 2nd October 2012 at 07:48.
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:20   #11682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
People - need some advice.

I am in rather was the same boat as you. For me a mobile handset is no more than a utilitarian device which needs to perform some basic functions.

Given this line of thought when I had a need to go for an android handset I opted for a Samsung Galaxy Y. It performs all the basic functions well enough. However you get what you pay for in terms of robustness, quality. Even though my son has the same handset and it is not exactly handled with care his handset is working flawlessly , the handset I bought has conked off in 5 months. I have posted in this thread my experience with Samsung and how their service contractor has dishonoured warranty on a flimsy pretext . So that is 7 thousand rupees down the drain for me at least.

The mess I saw in their service center with multiple customers complaining of deficient service made me decide not to opt for a Samsung again. Before I condemn Samsung I will state that I have taken the matter up with the company and they have referred me to a different service center. What results that will produce I do not know. I shall post the outcome here. Irrespective of my experience loads of people are buying Samsung handsets and using them happily.

I have opted for a Motorola DEFY+ at 13K. How I will fare with it in the days/months to come will be known in time only.

So in short if you wish to opt for a "known" brand Samsung is the popular option by far, at all price points. If you want to venture into the 10k-15k price band for a non Samsung option Motorola and Sony do provide good options.
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:27   #11683
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
If you want to venture into the 10k-15k price band
Hell, no!!! The thought of paying this kind of money for a phone will put me into deep depression. Even going above 5000 seems depressing but there doesn't seem to be any options below.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:35   #11684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Sony Xperia Tipo. Would cost approx 9.5k and does what you need to do.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:47   #11685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
I have opted for a Motorola DEFY+ at 13K. How I will fare with it in the days/months to come will be known in time only.
I was in the same boat and received defy+ yesterday from flipkart at 13K. Now struggling to setup a motoblur account.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks