Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:21   #11716
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I have Sygic with MMI 7.0. Got the whole thing downloaded to my android device without paying for it, i admit.. ;-)
Now, when I search for a place outside of Bangalore, it doesn't show any match.
For eg. when i search for 'ghati subramanya' (a temple), it doesnt return anything.
Iam sure iam doing something wrong, coz MMI cant be this bad!!

What do i need to do?
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:45   #11717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Thanks for the details. I guess that means around 140MB more RAM it takes than GB.
I always used to notice that when i had Go Launcher theme installed and that memory recycler.

Now have taken Go launcher out of the window and never see the need to know how much RAM left. BTW, i see battery backup has improved after ics.
Old 3rd October 2012, 23:08   #11718
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got the ICS update for my Xperia Sola. Read the announcement from sony on ICS for the sola just a couple of days back. Did not expect to get the update so soon. Thought it will take a couple of weeks.
Old 3rd October 2012, 23:30   #11719
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide
I have Sygic with MMI 7.0. Got the whole thing downloaded to my android device without paying for it, i admit.. ;-)
For eg. when i search for 'ghati subramanya' (a temple), it doesnt return anything.

What do i need to do?
I also have the same system, downloaded inn the same way, but mine works perfectly.
You should try to wipe data for the app on the phone and try downloading the maps from the sygic downloader on the phone
Old 4th October 2012, 02:25   #11720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Just got the ICS update for my Xperia Sola. Read the announcement from sony on ICS for the sola just a couple of days back. Did not expect to get the update so soon. Thought it will take a couple of weeks.
Hi Rajeev,

Glad to know Sola finally got ICS. It would be great if you could post how ICS is working on the Sola after some days of usage especially battery life. Currently I am happy with the way things are on GB and would upgrade to ICS only of some good improvements are there.
Old 4th October 2012, 09:33   #11721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post

What do i need to do?
The most common reason for this is that you have selected some other State.
Try and navigate to that location manually using the map and see if that place is marked. Also, enable data connection/ or wifi so that Sygic can find the place via Google (in case it is really missing from their own/ internal database).

BTW: Sygic got an update yesterday 12.1.3. It forced me to redownload all the maps. Perhaps TomTom maps this time.

However, they are not better than the older maps in any way.
One year old bridges are still not showing up.
Old 4th October 2012, 11:08   #11722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3r2dawh33ls View Post
Rohan - Any specific model / suggestions? Would Google maps still work with turn by turn guidance perchance?
Nokia C5-05 can be considered as a cheap phone for GPS navigation. It comes preloaded with Nokia maps and provides voice navigation.

I'm not sure whether google maps would support voice navigation on a Symbian device. Other Symbian users may kindly enlighten us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
W810i was my previous phone and used it seamlessly for 5 years. There was no original battery available and the one I tried was not up to the mark.
Sony Ericsson OEM battery is easily available on ebay at reasonable price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Has anyone used the Sony Ericsson Xperia Active?
The phone and its specs look good. It costs about 15k I guess.

Need some user reviews if possible. Also, how is the Motorola Defy?
Xperia Active is outdated now, please consider Xperia Go instead.

Motorola Defy is not available now, check out Defy+. It is really VFM.

Rohan
Old 4th October 2012, 11:19   #11723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I'm not sure whether google maps would support voice navigation on a Symbian device. Other Symbian users may kindly enlighten us.
Google navigation is only available on Android. Between, Nokia maps is one service which gets better day by day. But if you have a decent 3G connection then Google maps is the way to go.
Old 4th October 2012, 14:24   #11724
BHPian

Looking to buy Android Phone in the budget of 20K.

After looking at all the options have narrowed down to Samsung Galaxy S Advance & Motorola Atrix2.

Leaning towards Atrix2 due to better screen/camera resolution & screen size. Also finding Atrix 2 to be a better looker.

Only downer which I feel with Atrix2 is about service and update support from Motorola. With Motorola planning to shut shop in India, how many years will they plan to keep service centers open? Also any news on Jelly Bean Upgrade in future for this phone?

Also how is the development scene for atrix2 in comparison with S Advance if current users know more about this?
Old 4th October 2012, 14:28   #11725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOn View Post
Looking to buy Android Phone in the budget of 20K.

After looking at all the options have narrowed down to Samsung Galaxy S Advance & Motorola Atrix2.

Leaning towards Atrix2 due to better screen/camera resolution & screen size. Also finding Atrix 2 to be a better looker.

Only downer which I feel with Atrix2 is about service and update support from Motorola. With Motorola planning to shut shop in India, how many years will they plan to keep service centers open? Also any news on Jelly Bean Upgrade in future for this phone?

Also how is the development scene for atrix2 in comparison with S Advance if current users know more about this?
Atrix 2 is likely to get JB soon. In fact they've promised to update all devices from 2011 to JB which includes Atrix 2 also. Regarding dev support, if you mean custom ROM's, its one area Atrix 2 lacks a bit. Due to the locked bootloader, custom ROM's are less compared to Samsung ones. But it turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me. I used to flash my Neo at least 2 times per day to check out new ROMs. Now I have that time free with my Atrix 2
Old 4th October 2012, 20:09   #11726
BHPian

Are there any facts or feed back on using the android phone as a hotspot? I need a hotspot (3G) to work for a few people during meetings. users with their laptops will be about 15 ' away at the max and maybe about 5 -8 people. (Edit:Opinions on the web were about 5 people max with a short range)

Other times I will be using it as a phone or with my laptop via a suitable connection.

Anyone with actual experience here? Thanks

Last edited by optimist : 4th October 2012 at 20:10.
Old 4th October 2012, 21:14   #11727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist
Are there any facts or feed back on using the android phone as a hotspot? I need a hotspot (3G) to work for a few people during meetings. users with their laptops will be about 15 ' away at the max and maybe about 5 -8 people. (Edit:Opinions on the web were about 5 people max with a short range)

Other times I will be using it as a phone or with my laptop via a suitable connection.

It depends on your speed. But its a good option if 3-4 people are using it. It won't give good speeds if 5 or more than that are using it simultaneously.
Old 4th October 2012, 23:44   #11728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Wifi will work for text based browsing on 5 laptops. However, open youtube on one of them & everything goes haywire.

The handset transforms into a hot plate while on hotspot and I'm actually scared to use hotspot for more than 30mins.Happens on Atrix2 ICS.
Old 5th October 2012, 00:32   #11729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist

Did tethering using my mobile 3G services for my (and friend's) laptops, had no issues for distances equivalent for a N150 series Wifi router. Web speed on laptops was as good as the mobile and I ran this for a few hours, without any problems.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 5th October 2012 at 00:34.
Old 5th October 2012, 08:07   #11730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard
Has anyone used the Sony Ericsson Xperia Active?
The phone and its specs look good. It costs about 15k I guess.

Need some user reviews if possible. Also, how is the Motorola Defy?

Thanks.
There are way too many reviews on Defy in the last 20 pages only. Search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide

What do i need to do?
What version of maps as in date are you using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N

The most common reason for this is that you have selected some other State.
Try and navigate to that location manually using the map and see if that place is marked. Also, enable data connection/ or wifi so that Sygic can find the place via Google (in case it is really missing from their own/ internal database).

BTW: Sygic got an update yesterday 12.1.3. It forced me to redownload all the maps. Perhaps TomTom maps this time.

However, they are not better than the older maps in any way.
One year old bridges are still not showing up.
If you have got Sygic without paying them you have to stick to version 11.2.6 only. It won't work on version 12.

Else try Navfree.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks