Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajushank84 (Post 2005023)
@kaushik, how is the build quality? One of my friends wants to buy a good Android phone, he is looking forward to Dell Streak but the launch date is indefinite. I suggested Galaxy S to him, but he showed me some online reviews saying that the build quality is not good, in terms of plastic quality surface gathering scratches soon very. Is that so?

Note: This person was using an iPhone 3GS before, and he sold it off because he finds it too restricting not to be able to store stuff on memory cards, dependence on one computer for iTunes, etc. At the same time he wants a powerful capacitive touchscreen phone with good browsing, contacts management, tasks management etc. Do you think Galaxy S is best for him, or some other phone?

Out of the current phones available I found the Galaxy X to be the best in terms of almost everything. This keeping in mind that HTC Desire is still not officially available. Seems very easy to use and loads and loads applications to help one organize his tasks and all.
About the build quality I can't say much as today only I've bought it. Even though it's made of plastic, the phone feels quite good at hand. Yes, it feels bit light but I don't think it feels flimsy. But if your friend is bit choosy about taking metal body instead of plastic then HTC desire might be better wait.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushik_s (Post 2005052)
Out of the current phones available I found the Galaxy X to be the best in terms of almost everything. This keeping in mind that HTC Desire is still not officially available. Seems very easy to use and loads and loads applications to help one organize his tasks and all.
About the build quality I can't say much as today only I've bought it. Even though it's made of plastic, the phone feels quite good at hand. Yes, it feels bit light but I don't think it feels flimsy. But if your friend is bit choosy about taking metal body instead of plastic then HTC desire might be better wait.

Thanks for your feedback. He is also exploring options of getting HTC Desire from US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushik_s (Post 2005010)
A little update: Got myself a Samsung Galaxy S today. Playing with it now for last 4 hours. Till now it feels AWESOME. :D

Congratulations! I was BLOWN away by it's screen. I have made up my mind to buy this only because of it's amazing screen. I did find places where they sell HTC desire (or rather source them if required). But, after seeing the screen of the galaxy s, I won't be going for the desire. The build quality is a little plasitcky, but it doesn't feel flimsy. And I was an iPhone 2g user for a long time and this phone felt LIGHT, that's right, it's amazingly light. Not bad, Samsung has finally managed to impress me :).

Kaushik, can you quote the price and the place you got it from? I am planning to buy it from Univercell, got a quote of 28.5k, but the good thing is that I get 0% EMI plan with HDFC.

The Droid-X I think is yet to hit India. Thats the next level to Milestone.
4.3 inch display and 8MP camera.

I think its available only in CDMA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajushank84 (Post 2005023)
... some online reviews saying that the build quality is not good

To be honest, they have nothing else to complain about!
Also, IIRC none of them say the build quality is "not good" -- they just say it feels plasticy :)

I would however complain about its looks (so iphone!!) - the US versions are MUCH better looking.

Regarding screen getting scratched - do watch the video on the earlier page, though thats not exactly your daily wear and tear!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushik_s (Post 2005052)
...I found the Galaxy X to be the best in terms of almost everything. This keeping in mind that HTC Desire is still not officially available.

Firstly congrats! I hope to be joining you in ownership soon.

Secondly, WHY is everyone even comparing the Galaxy S to the Desire?? The way i see it the Galaxy S is the clear winner on all counts (even higher spec'd!). Other than the metal body, what advantage does the desire have?? Its even priced higher!

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 2006457)
To be honest, they have nothing else to complain about!
Also, IIRC none of them say the build quality is "not good" -- they just say it feels plasticy :)

I would however complain about its looks (so iphone!!) - the US versions are MUCH better looking.

Regarding screen getting scratched - do watch the video on the earlier page, though thats not exactly your daily wear and tear!

Secondly, WHY is everyone even comparing the Galaxy S to the Desire?? The way i see it the Galaxy S is the clear winner on all counts (even higher spec'd!). Other than the metal body, what advantage does the desire have?? Its even priced higher!

cya
R

Agree about the reviews on the internet being mis-interpreted. I considered plasticky to be not so good build quality. My bad though, should have interpreted the words in the right context :).

The look and the home page looks like the iPhone, even the color combination looks a bit iPhonish, if I may.

The biggest problem is the screen acting as a finger print magnet :(. You guys have any idea on how to manage that (experience with other phones which had simiarl characteristic)?

Umm, the reason why I compared Desire to Galaxy S is because I have hated Samsung phones for their not so friendly UI. I have seen star and star 3g, and got so irritated using the UI, that in my mind Samsung's Touchwiz equalled never try/buy a samsung phone. So, the next best option for people who hate samsung and want a phone with a 1ghz processor, it's N1 or Desire. And when the comparisons between N1 and Desire start, you realize that Desire is a tad better in some departments, so kinda get stuck with Desire :).
As far as the pricing goes, they are about the same in grey market. It's only fair that I compare the grey market prices as Desire has not been launched in India yet. And oh, in the 1Ghz processor line up, Sony Xperia X10 lost out because it's still on 1.6 and has a lot of UI issues.

And yes, I hope to join the Galaxy S club too. Soon, very soon. BTW, I think the responsiveness on the Galaxy S is pretty awesome and touchwiz has IMPROVED a lot since I last used it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 2006358)
Congratulations! I was BLOWN away by it's screen. I have made up my mind to buy this only because of it's amazing screen. I did find places where they sell HTC desire (or rather source them if required). But, after seeing the screen of the galaxy s, I won't be going for the desire. The build quality is a little plasitcky, but it doesn't feel flimsy. And I was an iPhone 2g user for a long time and this phone felt LIGHT, that's right, it's amazingly light. Not bad, Samsung has finally managed to impress me :).

Thanks, me too was blown away for the simple fact that the screen was amazing and iPhone looks pale in comparison.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 2006358)
Kaushik, can you quote the price and the place you got it from? I am planning to buy it from Univercell, got a quote of 28.5k, but the good thing is that I get 0% EMI plan with HDFC.

I bought it from Planet M for same 28.5k. Yeah they too have the same 0% EMI thing on HDFC but I didn't have HDFC card so had to pay them upfront. Also got a Gold coin thing with the phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 2006457)

cya
R

Thanks. I'm really enjoying the phone. Actually yeah, probably this is the best spec'd phone as of now but in some comparison reviews they've chosen Desire over Samsung but the advantage was very minimal if I'm not wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 2006579)
The look and the home page looks like the iPhone, even the color combination looks a bit iPhonish, if I may.

Exactly were my thoughts when I first show the Application interface. Very similar to iPhone and even the phone itself has lots of resemblance to iPhone. I might actually say that this whole design is inspired by iPhone only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 2006579)
The biggest problem is the screen acting as a finger print magnet :(. You guys have any idea on how to manage that (experience with other phones which had simiarl characteristic)?

I'm using a screen guard (only 130Rs, cheap one) as of now and yes there are finger prints but all that goes with a swipe of a lens cleaning cloth. So issue there I guess. And talking about swipe, there is a cool app called Swype in Samsung Phones, that looks neat and works well.

BTW, anyone using any navigation/map application other than the google maps in android phones? Will MapmyIndia or Satnav maps/navigation work with Android phones? Are they worth the price? I'll also try to find the info myself but just want to know if someone had any first hand experience.

Another thing I came to know is that Samsung is working on a iPad type device. A friend of mine working in Samsung told me that today.

I too am using Galaxy S for like a month now. There is no two ways about the fact that this is the best phone I have ever used. I don't use any screen guard and things, IMO, all that is a waste of effort. The screen is scratch resistant, so I haven't seen any scratches yet. Strangest thing in terms of build in this phone is its the only solid feeling super light phone that I have seen, all thanks to that much criticized plastic build. The quality of plastic is outstanding, and it fits the purpose.

Coming to the negatives, this phone lacks camera flash, but that's livable for me because most phones can't take good night snaps whether they are with or without flash. Its a phone camera architecture problem which I had read somewhere, so applies to all camera phones till date.

The other major issue though is user upgradable software support from Samsung. This is a major issue according to me, where the phone suite software (KIES in case of Samsung) doesn't integrate with the PC and internet like how a Nokia can. For software updates, one needs to run to the services center, which again is a waste of time and effort. They say its improving, but my experience with KIES software has not been positive till now.

Samsung have promised an upgrade to 2.2 Froyo, which should only make this deal a lot sweeter, since it further unlocks the performance potential by unlocking 256mb additional RAM, which is now not getting used up due to 2.1 design. So, if anything, Galaxy S is the current performance king in phones with future upgradable option, which makes it unbeatable at present.

Hey Guys, just a heads up on price. Yesterday I went to another shop to buy a car charger for Galaxy S and they also had Galaxy S with them. I just asked how much the price is and he told me 27.5k and if I buy using cash it'll be 27.2k. I was like banging my head for not going in there to have look that day. That was a difference of 1k without any bargaining and I'm sure that if you can bargain they'll come down even more. The shop is called Mahalaxmi Collection, near Vijaya party hall Jayanagar 4th block. If you are coming from JP Nagar side then it's around a kilometer before you reach cool joint circle. There is one more mobile phone store on the opposite side called Sun times. Even these guys give better price than other big mobile stores.

@kaushik- I'm looking for a car charger for my spica too, What charger did u get and how much did it cost you, It would be great if you tell me its specs, mA and stuff :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay_b (Post 2011191)
@kaushik- I'm looking for a car charger for my spica too, What charger did u get and how much did it cost you, It would be great if you tell me its specs, mA and stuff :)

Hey Akshay, I got the Charger (original Samsung charger) for 389Rs (that's the MRP printed and I didn't bargain). with Bill & Warranty. The same is priced for 550Rs in any other big brand shops( at Sangeetha, Indira Nagar), I don't know why. Rating is input 11-30V DC, Output 5.0V DC, 0.7A. BTW, Galaxy S charging point is a micro-USB point, probably same for Spica too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushik_s (Post 2010662)
Hey Guys, just a heads up on price. Yesterday I went to another shop to buy a car charger for Galaxy S and they also had Galaxy S with them. I just asked how much the price is and he told me 27.5k and if I buy using cash it'll be 27.2k. I was like banging my head for not going in there to have look that day. That was a difference of 1k without any bargaining and I'm sure that if you can bargain they'll come down even more. The shop is called Mahalaxmi Collection, near Vijaya party hall Jayanagar 4th block. If you are coming from JP Nagar side then it's around a kilometer before you reach cool joint circle. There is one more mobile phone store on the opposite side called Sun times. Even these guys give better price than other big mobile stores.

Galaxy Spica is for 24.5K in Delhi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieseled (Post 2011618)
Galaxy Spica is for 24.5K in Delhi.

It has to be galaxy S( You meant it that way i think) . Galaxy spica or i5800 has been stopped and is very hard to find.

24.5K is a very gud price and am sure samsung is happy with the interest and success.

BTW am happy to have my wave. Kies is such a pain I must say. Every upgrade to kies has about 75Mb of files to be copied and the no of files and what is shown while downloading looks so stupid. Almost like downloading all files and installing.

NFS Shift has been the best game so far for Wave and most of the other games are silly.

Got myself an N1 and boy what a phone, I am blown away. The display is nothing like I have seen before, just fantastic and the response is quick and sure. I am hooked and still exploring it after 3 days. I updated to froyo yesterday through my home wifi, was a 3 min job. The android market is like wow, hundreds and hundreds of applications clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by muni (Post 2011655)
BTW am happy to have my wave.

Are you happy with the browser and GPS app on your wave? I'm sold on the phone but these two are my concerns.