Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 17:19   #12211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Agree, but:
1. How much do performance SD cards cost? 32GB of 30Mpbs one will cost you about $30-40. Its not really ultra-cheap.
Ultra cheap compared to what you pay for 32GB model versus 16GB model.
So it is all about profit margin

Quote:
2. There will be a connector on the motherboard for this card. I am not sure it is same as having on-board flash memory as this connector should work with all sorts of cards. Not everyone will be using class 10 or UHS cards (maybe ignorance or price reasons)
There is backword compatibility but yes there is a cost and removing that should make Apple / LG model cheaper not costlier , BTW SD controller is not very costly.
Quote:
3. If anything the Apple iphone experiment teaches us, its the fact that the lesser the variables are, more the system can be optimized!
I do not agree to this at all , Neither iphone is most optimized software.
Nor removal of SD results in any great optimization.
Much of the so called optimization is actually lack of features such as true multi-tasking and UX flow devoid of any backword operation.
Many people may like it but there are lot of people including me who simply hate it.

Quote:
4. And this matters the most - There is no quad core, 2GB RAM, 320ppi, 2100mAH Li-Poly device out there today for this kind of price. This can force your Apples and Samsungs to climb down from their pedestals (they are making ridiculous profits on the iphones/SGSs) and maybe we can see significant price corrections. I think as customers we should welcome this phone. It can really change the market dynamics.
Price depends on market dynamics and not necessarily reflect what it costs to build. LG could have easily added an SD controller but the reason for not including lies elsewhere which is the business model of Google.

I am 99.999% sure that LG model ( branded and marketed by LG) derrived from Google Nexus 4 will carry SD card slot and removable battery.
Old 31st October 2012, 20:25   #12212
BHPian

Flipkart has dropped prices on RAZR and Atrix2 significantly. I'm very tempted to get myself a RAZR, but I'm wondering if I should go ahead with the purchase given that Motorola has stopped selling their phones and is only getting rid of existing stocks (in India). I hear the service will be here to stay for a while, but what if not?

Can you please advise?
Old 31st October 2012, 20:40   #12213
BHPian

I'm looking to purchase the Nexus 4 in December through a friend who is returning from US.Will LG honour warranty here in India??
Old 31st October 2012, 21:02   #12214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI
I'm looking to purchase the Nexus 4 in December through a friend who is returning from US.Will LG honour warranty here in India??
Hi,

I dont think LG would honour the warranty. So you have to be clear that if something goes wrong you have rely on a local repair guy and if its a software related issue consult forums like xda.

Regards,
Old 31st October 2012, 21:24   #12215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
I believe Nexus 4 will be officially launched in India be end of Nov and pricing are going to be on similar lines. Wouldn't it be better to wait for it and buy it in India. That way you would never have any warranty issues.
Old 31st October 2012, 21:28   #12216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
I believe Nexus 4 will be officially launched in India be end of Nov and pricing are going to be on similar lines. Wouldn't it be better to wait for it and buy it in India. That way you would never have any warranty issues.
If the pricing is on similar lines I will definitely go for it!!But I'm not sure that will happen!!That's too good to be true!!

Does LG India support its phones not bought in the country??
Old 1st November 2012, 08:17   #12217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra

Any official confirmation on that? I am doubtful whether they will ever launch these tempting nexus devices here in India. We are forced to buy the galaxy crap!

Typed mostly using voice keyboard on my galaxy nexus
Old 1st November 2012, 08:42   #12218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Any official confirmation on that? I am doubtful whether they will ever launch these tempting nexus devices here in India. We are forced to buy the galaxy crap!

Typed mostly using voice keyboard on my galaxy nexus
One strong reason the original Nexus wasn't launched in India by Samsung was that it would have cannibalized the sales of the costlier S3, and more important overshadowed it in the market.

I don't see any other big launches of LG in the coming quarter. Plus their sales and the brand name as a good smartphone player has taken a hit recently. This phone should certainly help that. I see no reasons for them not launching it here, unless of course Google has other reasons.
Old 1st November 2012, 08:46   #12219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
One strong reason the original Nexus wasn't launched in India by Samsung was that it would have cannibalized the sales of the costlier S3, and more important overshadowed it in the market.

I don't see any other big launches of LG in the coming quarter. Plus their sales and the brand name as a good smartphone player has taken a hit recently. This phone should certainly help that. I see no reasons for them not launching it here, unless of course Google has other reasons.
I was also planning to get one from US this December to replace my aging iPhone 3GS, will wait and see whether the Nexus 4 gets launched in India at the same price point. Quad core and 2 GB RAM for a price less than 20k is a steal.
Old 1st November 2012, 09:20   #12220
Senior - BHPian

Apart from Nexus 4 android, I feel the next big thing in mobile phones is going to be the Windows Phone 8 based phones like Lumia 920. With the opening of the Software Development kit by Microsoft to all, most of the developers are going to migrate their most popular apps on iOS and Droid onto Windows Phone 8 within 2-3 months max. Mark my words, 2013 is going to be about Windows Phone 8 in mobile world.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl...lopment_tools/
Old 1st November 2012, 10:39   #12221
BHPian

Took the plunge. Bought the Galaxy Note II yesterday. Lightening quick. Retaining the BB 9780 though because of my clients on BBM.

Can anyone guide me to the best 3g service provider in Mumbai? How is MTNL? The reason i ask is that they have a 2500 plan for 2 months of unlimited data transfer on 3G.

Thanks.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:09   #12222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Any official confirmation on that?
Read this on android central

Quote:
The site reports that Amit Gujral, Head of Mobile Product Planning for LG India confirmed the device's existence in an interview at an Optimus Vu launch event. "Google will unveil the LG Nexus on October 29 and the phone will be available in the Indian markets by the end of November," Gurjal is reported as saying
Source - http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-ind...nounced-oct-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

I don't see any other big launches of LG in the coming quarter....
+1 to that ninjatalli. This would be good opportunity for LG to redeem itself to some extent. Also with i-phone most probably exorbitantly priced in India, the N4 with much better specs could be winner here. Don't think LTE will matter much since its very early days here.
Old 1st November 2012, 14:24   #12223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Can anyone guide me to the best 3g service provider in Mumbai? How is MTNL?
MTNL is pretty bad in terms of network coverage. I would suggest you get a temp pre-paid SIM of MTNL/Vodafone and Airtel and use the one which provides good connectivity at your home and work.

Vodafone charges 350 Rs for 1.5 GB. This is pretty good if you already have WiFi at home and 3G would be for usage outside home.
Old 1st November 2012, 15:55   #12224
Senior - BHPian

How many of you guys use Google Latitude on your androids. I have started using that to keep track of where my soon to be wife is and vice versa since she travels a long distance via public transport and takes the company drop at night. This helps me not calling or messaging frequently and asking where she has reached.

Its a nice tool to have and works on your data connection and pinpoints the location of the user on GMap when you query on it.

Only hiccup is, if the other person is on call, then the data connection gets cut from their phone. Wish Google could overcome this silly thing and keep the data connection 'on' all the time.
Old 1st November 2012, 16:10   #12225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
How many of you guys use Google Latitude on your androids.
Been using it for a while, it's actually quite useful for situations as similar to the one suggested by you. But then it has its limitations. For e.g. me & my friend's location are shown a few kms apart, even when we are standing next to each other at our place!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks