Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 16:29   #12226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Only hiccup is, if the other person is on call, then the data connection gets cut from their phone. Wish Google could overcome this silly thing and keep the data connection 'on' all the time.
That is the limitation of GSM on 2G. If you switch to 3G, voice call and data connetion work simultaneously.
Old 1st November 2012, 19:48   #12227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli

Been using it for a while, it's actually quite useful for situations as similar to the one suggested by you. But then it has its limitations. For e.g. me & my friend's location are shown a few kms apart, even when we are standing next to each other at our place!
That's because it gets to know about your location through the cell information of the cell phone tower your phones hooks onto. Turn on gps and see the magic.
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:17   #12228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
That's because it gets to know about your location through the cell information of the cell phone tower your phones hooks onto. Turn on gps and see the magic.
Agreed. But both on the same network (Vodafone), and even after being at the location for hours, the status still shows the same. Anyway this triangulation aspect was never 100% accurate. It is supposed to give you a "best possible" solution only.
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:12   #12229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
for those requirements there are choices from hundreds of other sets in the market. or wait for google/LG to release a 32/64GB model if you want this particular set only.

There is nothing like a perfect thing. Every user can evaluate his or her needs and then see if nexus4 can satisfy. I would buy some other handset if my requirement is huge space. but at $299 it is still a compelling buy for lot of people. Not everyone is a heavy gamer. Besides, people are using cloud for some time now (arent we using emails for long time now?)

Apple started that. "Others" are following suit.
Certainly, every user can evaluate his needs. What I tried to say is that there does not seem to be a single valid reason why one must buy into marketing hype/business tactics of crafty corporations and buy a device that possibly limits your experience just because it is the "trend" or because manufacturers would like you to believe less fact and more fiction just because it suits their business model.

And btw, extra storage is not just for games. Videos, navigation software/maps, music, are all storage hungry. And I'm sure you know how much storage is taken up by a movie. Personally I'd not like to watch movies on a mobile (unless I'm travelling maybe). And I'm only an occasional gamer. Currently, even my 4GB card is maybe 30% empty. Maybe I'll be ok with 4 - 8 GB storage (for now), but if I can help it, I'd rather not buy a phone with limited storage (and other crafty tactics like non-removable batteries) because I don't want it to became a "trend", as far as I can help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Agreed. But both on the same network (Vodafone), and even after being at the location for hours, the status still shows the same. Anyway this triangulation aspect was never 100% accurate. It is supposed to give you a "best possible" solution only.
Well, I have been right next to people on the same network, and yet the tower that their phone was latched on to was different from mine. Noticed this several times in the past.
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:49   #12230
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
You guys think it's a worthy buy. Since its being launched by LG any feed back on LG phones don't know anyone using them.
I don't see why the brand should deter you. I'v used LG phones, and the hardware can be quite good. But they are known to make bad hardware too. The software is possibly almost always crap, and you have to throw it out (where applicable). It all depends on the model. The last LG phone I'v used was the Optimus 1. It was one of their biggest successes. But a lot of people have a lot of preconceived notions. Some used to just see the LG logo and would ask me what made me buy an LG phone (with a smirk on their faces). Funny and baseless, because it was better than the Samsungs and HTCs or whatever in its time and price range.

So don't worry too much about the company. Rather do some research on the particular model you are interested in. If the reviews are good, there is probably no reason to avoid it because of the brand label.

As for service, well, I'm not sure if any manufacturer has "great" service in India. For me, the experience was way better than Nokia and better than Moto too. In fact they even refunded my money for a faulty handset (after 6 months usage... long story). I don't think any manufacturer in India would do that. No experience with other service centers.
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:57   #12231
BHPian

No SD cards is probably because the "issues" which might arise when Google starts "Multi User" support on Andriod. Here's what the Android Biggies think --

Quote:
Robert Mahon: Another thought about this sd-card stuff, might it have caused issues with the multi-user side of things in 4.2? Most apps aren't following guidelines on where to save their data, so it gets sprayed willynilly on the SD-Card. Now there's more than one person using the system, and possibly overwriting that data/corruption, I can see why Nexus devices, to stop this being a problem before it starts (or at least reducing it to less apps) is not using the sd-cards.
Stewart Gateley: With each user having their own apps and data, SD card makes even more sense. Keep the profiles local while storing large media files on ext storage. Either external files can be shared with all users, or set file permissions. No need to partition space out for each user or something. For a multi-user HD media consumption device, the Nexus 10 is seriously lacking storage. But I thought we were talking about the 4 here.
Dianne Hackborn:
+Robert Mahon This is certainly an issue, we aren't supporting multi-user with the old school FAT partition for external storage (whether that is on an SD card like the original G1 or a separate internal partition like the Nexus S).
+Stewart Gateley SD cards must be formatted with FAT (to inter-operate with desktop computers), which doesn't support file permissions. Not to mention that all you are going to end up with is a mess if you try to set file system permissions (based on uids) on an SD card and then move that to another device.
Read it here :http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10...iuser-support/
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:32   #12232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I don't see why the brand should deter you.
It's not really a brand loyalty issue. Just that I need the phone to be as reliable as from other manufacturers. Am no way saying Samsung is superior to LG, but the lack of visibility of LG phones is only drawback. Maybe its just a mindset issue.

Quote:
I'v used LG phones, and the hardware can be quite good. But they are known to make bad hardware too.

You see that's my only fear

Quote:
The software is possibly almost always crap, and you have to throw it out (where applicable). It all depends on the model.
Luckily being nexus they wouldn't have a chance to dilute the software.

Quote:
So don't worry too much about the company. Rather do some research on the particular model you are interested in. If the reviews are good, there is probably no reason to avoid it because of the brand label.
Makes sense, perhaps I'll wait for initial user reviews before finalizing
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:08   #12233
BHPian

I think a very important feature omission makes LG Nexus 4 non-future proof is no 4G(LTE) support. Since deployments already started in various part across the globe and 4G broadband spectrum auction already completed in India, I believe we are not quite far from having 4G services here. It would make sense to have 4G particularity when we know that services will start within the span of 1-2 years from now. Since computing power is already at par on this phone, It would have made deal very attractive if included 4G in nexus 4.

Regards
SE
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:25   #12234
Senior - BHPian

^^

Nexus phones are Google branded (ant not manufacturer branded). So Nexus4 will carry Google branding.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:37   #12235
BHPian

Anyone running Slim Bean on their Galaxy S (i9000) ? Please share your feedback about the ROM?
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:40   #12236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
I think a very important feature omission makes LG Nexus 4 non-future proof is no 4G(LTE) support. Since deployments already started in various part across the globe and 4G broadband spectrum auction already completed in India, I believe we are not quite far from having 4G services here. It would make sense to have 4G particularity when we know that services will start within the span of 1-2 years from now. Since computing power is already at par on this phone, It would have made deal very attractive if included 4G in nexus 4.

Regards
SE
In 1-2 years people would have moved on to Nexus 6 or something like that. As of today it is the best phone available for this price (if it is launched at par with US price). I'm pretty sure 4G is a non-factor for most of us here in India at this point. The missing SD card feature is more serious for Indian market. But then, with right price people would overlook that as well. Everything now will depend on how LG will price it! I hope they price it same as the US price. It will annihilate most of the competition (or at least force them to bring down their prices) Just imagine - it has pretty much same hardware as the GS3. But GS3 is at least 15k more expensive. Is Samsung making 15k profit per phone they are selling??? Thats huge and in Apple category.

4G is a miss for US market though. Lets see how it fares there. It does support pretty fast HSPA+ which is not bad really.
Old 2nd November 2012, 13:08   #12237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
I think a very important feature omission makes LG Nexus 4 non-future proof is no 4G(LTE) support. Since deployments already started in various part across the globe and 4G broadband spectrum auction already completed in India, I believe we are not quite far from having 4G services here.
Regards
SE
Hi there,

I do not think omission of 4G is quite an issue. In my opinion 4G is still 1-2 year away from even picking up. I think telecom companies here are even struggling to stimulate 3G data take up. They need to lower the prices a little bit and also improve their service. Launching 4G would be like making a building without strengthening its foundation. I know 3G speeds are good but as far as I know its coverage is not satisfactory.
Old 2nd November 2012, 13:16   #12238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
I believe Nexus 4 will be officially launched in India be end of Nov and pricing are going to be on similar lines. Wouldn't it be better to wait for it and buy it in India. That way you would never have any warranty issues.
I don't think they will ever make the mistake of launching it at par with US price. That would be a totally uneconomical decision. If they have sensed the dumb consumers here, they would surely launch it around 24-27k, create enough marketing hype (ala Samsung) and make hay. It would be priced a shade below S3 and HOX and slightly above the equally old & ghastly looking S2. Sweet spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Any official confirmation on that? I am doubtful whether they will ever launch these tempting nexus devices here in India. We are forced to buy the galaxy crap!

Typed mostly using voice keyboard on my galaxy nexus
Quote:
One strong reason the original Nexus wasn't launched in India by Samsung was that it would have cannibalized the sales of the costlier S3, and more important overshadowed it in the market.
+1

FYI, the earlier Nexus S WAS launched officially in India. However that was mostly because there were no competing phones in Samsung's portfolio then.

This time around, there was the best seller S2 and hype-backed S3. So Samsung was smart enough not to cannibalize its cash cows by bringing in Gnex to India.

Quote:
I don't see any other big launches of LG in the coming quarter. Plus their sales and the brand name as a good smartphone player has taken a hit recently. This phone should certainly help that. I see no reasons for them not launching it here, unless of course Google has other reasons.
Well there is Optimus Vu (recently launched in Singapore, expected in India in 1-2 months) and Optimus 4D (already present). But then, if LG launches Nexus 4 around 24-27k, they will own the ENTIRE price band of 20-30k.
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:02   #12239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Anyone running Slim Bean on their Galaxy S (i9000) ? Please share your feedback about the ROM?
I'm using CM10 on my Captivate (AT&T model Galaxy S). Peformance is decent, though there is considerable lag sometimes. It's definitely usable as a daily driver. Slim Bean should be slightly better performance-wise, since it skips on some not so useful features from CM10. Give it a try after doing a nandroid back-up, you can always go back if you don't like it.
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:40   #12240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I don't think they will ever make the mistake of launching it at par with US price. That would be a totally uneconomical decision.
Wouldn't that be shooting themselves on their own foot. Since the Nexus 4 is (or soon) available world over in unlocked form, getting one from anywhere outside would not be a bother. Plus with LG not really having a good mind presence in India, launching the Nexus at similar price points would help it gain some market share especially luring people away from SG3 Note or even HTC One X. They can surely showcase the best hardware coupled with jelly bean and earn brownie points laying the platform for their future releases.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks