Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2012, 16:13   #12421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
I am assuming your are buying in the US. Why not buy from your service provider under contract? You will get a device on subsidised rates that way, and you will get a device with LTE support!

If you still want to go ahead with international S3, then I believe you will have to check online stores like expansys. They are international distributors. Just check about the warranty though.

Also, just on a side note - why not a Nexus 4? Unbeatable value if you are in the US I believe!
Hi,

I am not in US of A. A friend is carrying the phone for me from US of A. What are the other reputable online stores? I am waiting for the Nexus to release. On the paper, it looks kick-*** but want to wait it out and hear from people before I pick it up. Frankly, I have not decided on the phone yet. Just looking around and changing my opinions every minute
Old 11th November 2012, 16:41   #12422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Hello Guys,

Was looking for a good VFM option and have shortlisted "Karbon A21 or Micromax Canvas 2 A110", am not much a "brand" follower so the brand value does not matter to me, however reliability aspect does matter, both the specs look good to me and i am slowly leaning towards the Micromax.

Please do suggest if it makes sense to take the plunge? btw i read loads of good reviews(flipkart) on both esp MM has lot of positive feedback.
Lohith, I am using Karbonn A21 for almost a week now. For me, its a real VFM one. I paid 9.7K and baught from a retailler through one of my contact. Comparing to my old Samsung Galaxy Ace, the display is too good. Battery need to recharg once in a day. For Ace it was 2-3 times a day...!!!
The browsing speed is very good, but the there is a delay while opening the dial pad. This may be due to the dual SIMM configuration and one simm slot is vacant. I have loaded few apps and all working fine. No games yet, as I am not a fan of that. The camera is very basic and give good result only when there is enough light. Google map and navigation works as expected. Overall I am happy with the performance and build quality. Many of my friends gave feedback that MM has display issues, that is the reason I chose Karbonn. So far no regret.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 11th November 2012, 18:55   #12423
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the inputs Rajesh..

How is the build quality? am bit concerned about the relaibility and longevity" when it comes to both of these phones.

So bit confused now, as i intend to keep the phone for atleast 3years.

Now am slowly moving towards Nokia Lumia710, but considering the 5k more which i need to spend for this am wondering if it makes sense to go for this phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Lohith, I am using Karbonn A21 for almost a week now. For me, its a real VFM one. I paid 9.7K and baught from a retailler through one of my contact. Comparing to my old Samsung Galaxy Ace, the display is too good. Battery need to recharg once in a day. For Ace it was 2-3 times a day...!!!
The browsing speed is very good, but the there is a delay while opening the dial pad. This may be due to the dual SIMM configuration and one simm slot is vacant. I have loaded few apps and all working fine. No games yet, as I am not a fan of that. The camera is very basic and give good result only when there is enough light. Google map and navigation works as expected. Overall I am happy with the performance and build quality. Many of my friends gave feedback that MM has display issues, that is the reason I chose Karbonn. So far no regret.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 11th November 2012, 19:49   #12424
BHPian

Folks, pl recommend me Android Apps for:

1. Speedometer app
2. App to store and calculate fuel efficiency related data
3. IRCTC
Old 11th November 2012, 19:54   #12425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101
Folks, pl recommend me Android Apps for:

1. Speedometer app
2. App to store and calculate fuel efficiency related data
3. IRCTC
1. Ulysses
2. Acar or Mileage
3. I think most on the market just redirect finally to the website only. Try makemytrip,if they've integrated the web platform onto android.
Old 11th November 2012, 23:06   #12426
BHPian

Got the Android 4.2 keyboard on my 4.0.4 ICS. It is pretty good.
http://www.guidingtech.com/16652/use...rd-on-ics-now/
Old 11th November 2012, 23:22   #12427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I'd suggest you buy SwiftKey. It is far superior to any stock keyboard and doesn't cost a bomb. For that value it adds to your smartphone experience, the cost is negligible.

I bought it for my phone and bought their tablet version as well, for my nexus 7. I I am typing this from n7 using that.
Yes, totally agree on Swiftkey. I find it very easy to use and have it both for my Touchpad and the Micromax A110. And its prediction is amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Count me in as well! Bought it for Rs 9,700/- from the street yesterday. It is my first Android Phone, and +first Dual SIM
Good stuff! Congratulations on the buy. How has been your first impression on the mobile?
Old 12th November 2012, 05:58   #12428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101
Folks, pl recommend me Android Apps for
3. IRCTC
For IRCTC i use the "PNR Status & Train Info" app. It can log in using ur irctc id and keep track of the pnr status of the tickets booked using that. Also shows you train schedule & running information.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:46   #12429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Hi,

I am not in US of A. A friend is carrying the phone for me from US of A. What are the other reputable online stores? I am waiting for the Nexus to release. On the paper, it looks kick-*** but want to wait it out and hear from people before I pick it up. Frankly, I have not decided on the phone yet. Just looking around and changing my opinions every minute
If you ask me, I would steer clear from buying an international version S3 from the US, just for the sake of warranty. But if you still want to go ahead, amazon, newegg, expansys etc. will all be good options. Choose one which will be least cost+shipping.

How long is your friend going to be there? If its another month or so, I would still suggest getting a Nexus 4. Heck, ask him to get two - I will get the extra one from you!!!
Old 12th November 2012, 09:48   #12430
BHPian

hey guys,

just bought the Galaxy S Duos for my wife and was trying to understand how can one move the apps to SD card ? The internal memory shows 1.7GB and i purchased an 8GB Micro SD card just so that the internal memory remains as much free as possible.

Earlier she used LG P500 where it was quite easy to move the apps from phone memory to SD card but seems like they have done some major changes in ICS to avoid that.

Any help ?
Old 12th November 2012, 10:28   #12431
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what is the best custom ROM for the Galaxy S2? And also any pointers on rooting the phone? It runs on stock ICS.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:51   #12432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R
Guys, what is the best custom ROM for the Galaxy S2? And also any pointers on rooting the phone? It runs on stock ICS.
Check XDA forums. Rocket rom was the best when I last heard.
Old 12th November 2012, 11:12   #12433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
hey guys,

just bought the Galaxy S Duos for my wife and was trying to understand how can one move the apps to SD card ? The internal memory shows 1.7GB and i purchased an 8GB Micro SD card just so that the internal memory remains as much free as possible.

Earlier she used LG P500 where it was quite easy to move the apps from phone memory to SD card but seems like they have done some major changes in ICS to avoid that.

Any help ?
Unless Samsung has done any changes to the ICS settings, go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Apps -> <Individual app> -> Move app to SD option.

Also I believe you would have the option to set install location as intenal storage or SD card. Path should be the same (Settings -> Applications -> Preferred install location)
Old 12th November 2012, 12:03   #12434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Just bought a Samsung galaxy S advance based on gingerbread with a 1ghz processor.
Satisfies my basic requirements of a 4 inch screen & dual core 1 ghz processor!

Very happy with the new buy. Anyone else using this smartphone?
Hi Siddy

I'm seriously considering this phone for my wife. Currently she's on her few year old Sony Walkman W8XX & now its time for her to update.

Did you get ICS upgrade? How is the camera pic quality?
Have you tried video calling ?
Old 12th November 2012, 12:25   #12435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Unless Samsung has done any changes to the ICS settings, go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Apps -> <Individual app> -> Move app to SD option.

Also I believe you would have the option to set install location as intenal storage or SD card. Path should be the same (Settings -> Applications -> Preferred install location)
Nope, i do not have these options !!

A lil google and it seems I am not the only one .

Its not possible (without rooting) to move the apps to SD card. Even the app Apps2SD doesn't seem to work

Most Viewed