Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2012, 00:09   #12541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Nexus 7 users who are unable to do it OTA. Please follow the steps below

- First turn off Wi-Fi, then go to the Apps list in Settings, select Google Services Framework under the All column, clear the cache, and tap "Force stop."
- After that, turn Wi-Fi back on again, go to System updates in the About tablet under Settings, and you should be given the option to download the update.

This has worked for us across multiple Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus devices, though occasionally you may have to clear the cache and force quit Google Services Framework more than once to get it working.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
My Nexus 7 is also on 4.1.2 now, waiting for 4.2. Oh, mine was purchased almost a month back..

BTW, Are you experiencing touchscreen issues? I am not finding Nexus 7's touchscreen to be that responsive. It is sometimes a pain to scroll web pages and stuff with just the swipe of my thumb upwards or downwards. Scrolling just stops and recoils a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Even my Nexus 7 running 4.1.2 is not showing any update. A friend's Nexus 7 which was bought 2 months before mine got the 4.2 OTA update already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I switched off and switched on my phone and then tried to do the update via the system updates function but still zilch.

Last edited by chevelle : 15th November 2012 at 00:11.
Old 15th November 2012, 01:52   #12542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle

- First turn off Wi-Fi, then go to the Apps list in Settings, select Google Services Framework under the All column, clear the cache, and tap "Force stop."
- After that, turn Wi-Fi back on again, go to System updates in the About tablet under Settings, and you should be given the option to download the update.

This has worked for us across multiple Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus devices, though occasionally you may have to clear the cache and force quit Google Services Framework more than once to get it working.

Hope this helps
Did it like 5 times now but didn't work on my gnex. Lets see when the update comes. And my cache shows zero so that button can't be pressed.

Last edited by Desmosedici : 15th November 2012 at 02:06.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:02   #12543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Did it like 5 times now but didn't work on my gnex. Lets see when the update comes. And my cache shows zero so that button can't be pressed.
Is tablet rooted or have a custom rom or made any changes to system recently?

Another alternative is to download the file. Please find the manual way to do it in the link below

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...ink-available/
Old 15th November 2012, 03:04   #12544
BHPian

How to turn off or on the 3G? I have an xperia tipo.
In mobile network I have only 3 modes : gsm, wcdma/gsm and only wcdma.
I can't find any other option. I need to disable 3g when not in use else i don't get a battery life of more than 18-20 hours, sometimes even lesser.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:06   #12545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
My Nexus 7 is also on 4.1.2 now, waiting for 4.2. Oh, mine was purchased almost a month back..

BTW, Are you experiencing touchscreen issues? I am not finding Nexus 7's touchscreen to be that responsive. It is sometimes a pain to scroll web pages and stuff with just the swipe of my thumb upwards or downwards. Scrolling just stops and recoils a little.
No such issues on my N7. Scrolling is butter smooth without any glitches. Mine is not rooted and is running stock 4.1.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Hope this helps
Will try this once I'm back home tonight.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:34   #12546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I can't find any other option. I need to disable 3g when not in use else i don't get a battery life of more than 18-20 hours, sometimes even lesser.
Try this and let me know if it works. To enable, i guess you follow the same way or go through Network.

there is a way if you hold the power and also the up volume button at the same time for 5 seconds and the phone will ture off and might restart its self if not just ture it on urself

Read more: How to enable 3g in sony xperia tipo? - How can i turn off 3g on xperia tipo . How can i turn off 3g on xperia tipo :: Ask Me Fast at http://www.askmefast.com/How_to_enab...na4423871.html

Hold the power and also the up volume button at the same time for 5 seconds and the phone will turn off and might restart itself. wait a while if it doesn't restart, do it yourself by pressing the power button. Once it boots, 3G will be disabled.

I don't have a Tipo so you are the guinea pig. JK, many users have successfully done it.

Old 15th November 2012, 08:09   #12547
BHPian

Quote:

The trick worked like a charm. Thanks a lot. Now it's lot easier to manage apps between me and wifey.
Old 15th November 2012, 08:23   #12548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard
Easier solution is to get a data toggle widget and put it on the homescreen.
Better yet,get 2x battery app.
It'll automatically turn off the data connection when you turn the screen off.
Old 15th November 2012, 08:53   #12549
Senior - BHPian

Just installed the youtube remote app. Works like a dream in sync with my smart TV. Don't have to go thru' the torture of typing with my tv remote anymore. Works great with computers too! Here's a pic of youtube remote in action.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121115_085248.png
Views: 461
Size:  160.1 KB
Old 15th November 2012, 08:57   #12550
BANNED

Quote:
I will give you a one line answer.

WCDMA=3G
Old 15th November 2012, 09:00   #12551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Out of the 3 modes, enable gsm only and 3G is turned off and data if any uses edge. Get this from an Xperia Arc S user.

WCDMA/GSM is nothing but kinda mixed mode, wherein the phones prefers a 3G but goes to 2G while 3G is unavailable in that area and likewise.
Old 15th November 2012, 09:17   #12552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hope this helps
I was trying this yesterday and nothing came up. Took the tablet today morning to do this again and I see this

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1352947187229.jpg

However, 4.2 came with its share of problems. Apex launcher as well as nova launcher has a frozen app dock bar, Dolphin browser crashing all the time.

Quote:

Another alternative is to download the file. Please find the manual way to do it in the link below

Unlocked Bootloader, rooted os etc. Do not affect OTA. Asa matter of fact, mine was unlocked and rooted.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th November 2012 at 09:20.
Old 15th November 2012, 10:12   #12553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
GSM - 2G Only
WCDMA/GSM - 3G Preferred if both 3G and 2G networks available
WCDMA - 3G Only
Old 15th November 2012, 10:30   #12554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My phone is stock. Not rooted. Just to clarify again, this is applicable for both, tablets and phone right?

Name:  ForumRunner_20121115_102945.png
Views: 508
Size:  46.7 KB
Old 15th November 2012, 10:48   #12555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks, This helps

Hmm interesting, My HTC has what they call as Super LCD & in most cases it looked better than the SAMOLED on the original Galaxy. I need to see these displays side by side to take the call.

|
I own a S3 myself and I see nothing wrong with the display.It is very good.You will be fine with the S3 display as long as you don't compare it with the One X or the Nexus 4.Sammy's displays have lost the edge they had when compared to the previous generation LCD displays.

HTC One X and the upcoming HTC DNA have the best displays in the market with the Nexus 4 coming a close second.Now I'm talking purely in terms of accurate colour reproduction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks