Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 22:00   #12796
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Is it really Google Maps that has caused the damage? If you are on Jellybean, you can check that easily. It uses very less data that we think. This is what my map usage looks like even after almost a month
I'm on ICS. And it does have the data monitor and never even crossed 1 GB in the past so I was not really bothered about it while going for the trip.

I just spoke with the Docomo CC and they say that its charged at 10p/10kb on roaming. So, that explains it, I guess.

Last edited by punto_ : 28th November 2012 at 22:05.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:05   #12797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I'm on ICS. And it does have the data monitor and never even crossed 1 GB in the past so I was not really bothered about it while going for the trip.
Well if you have data monitor, go ahead and check Maps data usage in that. I don't think Maps had eaten up that much data.

EDIT: Sorry I saw the previous post of yours now - you have lost that data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How do I do this download thing and mark a route? Is there some guide? Sorry, very new to all this!

have a biggish trip coming up over the week-end, so this will come in handy!

PS: Am on gingerbread MIUI.
Goto Google Maps, Menu -> Make available offline
Now you see something like this

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20121128220835.jpg

now you can pinch zoom in or out to include the region you want to be cahced offline into the square and press Done.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th November 2012 at 22:11.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:07   #12798
BHPian

Quote:
Well if you have data monitor, go ahead and check Maps data usage in that. I don't think Maps had eaten up that much data.

EDIT: Sorry I saw the previous post of yours now - you have lost that data.
Problem is I was using a custom ROM with custom kernel on my Xperia S earlier and I was not happy with it so after returning I reset my phone to Stock and lost the data.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:09   #12799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it really Google Maps that has caused the damage? If you are on Jellybean, you can check that easily. It uses very less data that we think.

I have a 1GB data plan and I have to struggle to cross that limit by the month end, which only happened once. This is what my map usage looks like even after almost a month -

Attachment 1019684

(The legendary) Google Maps is still the BEST navigation available for me for this part of the country. Take any other navigation system, and you have a far less detailed map.

If you have offline cached map tiles in Google Maps, your phone will only use a minuscule of data while navigating. It will not even matter at all, provided you have data coverage anywhere you go - which I get almost everywhere.

I will never even think about 'buying' Maps and Navigation as long as Google Maps is there and it navigates.
1) The legendary google maps is undoubtedly the best in terms of detail. But, for navigation while you are driving a car, it's practicality more than detail that is the requirement. No download hassles and made for drivers.

2) I've tried google maps download while on the go and it has failed me on more ocassions than not. ( No resume support, huge data bandwidth requirement )

3) When I've a free offline navigation app in navfree, why worry about the payment.

for a sample experience, I tried downloading maps from Cherthala to Thrissur ( since, that was the maximum I could download in one go - which I have to rate as stupid. ) , showed as 86 MB to download, downloaded till 90% or so, and then it failed. Found that there is no resume support as well. So, if I have to do a 750 km trip, I'll have to do the same process probably 15 to 20 times ( that too, if I don't come across such broken downloads )which is non-practical to say the least. And the kind of detail will ensure that my memory card gets clogged with data.

So, the best option would be to trust offline navigation for normal car navigation, and to use online google navigation only when you need the detail.

Quote:
I haven't really used anything other than the maps little bit of FB, Whats app, and emails which are most normal and basic. And my data sync has always been off. Unfortunately, I reformatted my phone and do not have the data meter results on the phone.

If the maps do not use that much data, I will need to call Docomo CC and check if I can get any information - which I am doubtful of.
It's the maps that's the culprit here. I too have similar experience.

Last edited by amalji : 28th November 2012 at 22:15.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:14   #12800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Yeah, I just downloaded Hyderabad maps for offline - it was about 89 mb.
And yes, the maps had to be reloaded multiple times - used it really extensively and this experience with Gmaps has been very good in this particular trip.

I did land into issues on my previous 2 trips trusting Gmaps though.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:18   #12801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I just downloaded Hyderabad maps for offline - it was about 89 mb.
And yes, the maps had to be reloaded multiple times - used it really extensively and this experience with Gmaps has been very good in this particular trip.

I did land into issues on my previous 2 trips trusting Gmaps though.
That kind of size for a small city is non-practical if you are planning a long trip with the phone attached to the windscreen.

So, by default, I would recommend to use an offline navigation app, and to use google navigation only for the minute details ( needed only once you reach the destination in the first place )
Old 28th November 2012, 22:18   #12802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Goto Google Maps, Menu -> Make available offline
Now you see something like this

Attachment 1019700

now you can pinch zoom in or out to include the region you want to be cahced offline into the square and press Done.
Holy schamoly, I think I need a bigger SD card than the 2GB one I have on me...I've gotta download like 2000 kms of curvy routes.

Which one/brand/version would you recommend - that I can use on the next droid phone as well? Think a 16 gig would do, or would I need 32? Money's not a big issue for this purchase.

RIght now, its gotta work on the Defy MB525.

Last edited by Red Liner : 28th November 2012 at 22:22.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:19   #12803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
for a sample experience, I tried downloading maps from Cherthala to Thrissur ( since, that was the maximum I could download in one go - which I have to rate as stupid. ) , showed as 86 MB to download, downloaded till 90% or so, and then it failed. Found that there is no resume support as well. So, if I have to do a 750 km trip, I'll have to do the same process probably 15 to 20 times ( that too, if I don't come across such broken downloads )which is non-practical to say the least. And the kind of detail will ensure that my memory card gets clogged with data.

So, the best option would be to trust offline navigation for normal car navigation, and to use online google navigation only when you need the detail.
The entire road from Chertala to Thrissur offline cache - including a lot of land other than the NH66 region - is just about 36MB. Not 86MB.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20121128221435.jpg

For a 750Kms trip, it is not recommended to download the entire region anyway. But what I would do is, I'll cache the cities in between, and the destination city. The rural roads map tiles can be downloaded on the go. And if you are using Gmaps Navigation, it won't download the area in all zoom levels but in two or three zoom levels depending upon how close the region is shown.

Most important thing is NOT to have satellite layer ON! You just keep it only at the map layer.

And yes, Google Maps remains as Legendary!

Last edited by clevermax : 28th November 2012 at 22:34.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:22   #12804
BHPian

Quote:
That kind of size for a small city is non-practical if you are planning a long trip with the phone attached to the windscreen.

So, by default, I would recommend to use an offline navigation app, and to use google navigation only for the minute details ( needed only once you reach the destination in the first place )
Agreed. I was on the toes most of the time before the trip as it was planned just week in advance and ddint really bother about the data - just trusted that Gmaps will rescue.

Learnt my lessons the hard way.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:34   #12805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The entire road from Chertala to Thrissur offline cache - including a lot of land other than the NH66 region - is just about 36MB. Not 86MB.
1) 36 MB to 86 MB doesn't make a difference here. I tried to stretch it as far as I could in one go. So, it was somewhere south of Cherthala to north of Thrissur that got included in the 86 odd MB. And I wanted the western ghats a few roads beyond to be covered as well.

2) Unfortunately google maps doesn't give me the option to download a particular route. The only option it gives is a square area ( not even a rectangular or elliptical area which would have made more sense )

3) Trusting the gprs connection and its reliability ( especially while on roaming ) wouldn't be a wise idea. I've learnt it the hard way on my long trips to Vellore from Cochin.

4) Add to that, the extra data charges while on roaming.

And most imprortantly, I love the feeling of being always connected and getting the exact distance before the next deviation for every instant of time, while on the go. And this can be made possible only with a system that doesn't depend on online data.

Quote:
Attachment 1019716

For a 750Kms trip, it is not recommended to download the entire region anyway. But what I would do is, I'll cache the cities in between, and the destination city. The rural roads map tiles can be downloaded on the go. And if you are using Gmaps Navigation, it won't download the area in all zoom levels but in two or three zoom levels depending upon how close the region is shown.

Most important thing is NOT to have terrain (satellite) layer ON! You just keep it only at the map layer.

And yes, Google Maps remains as Legendary!
Not a practical and hassle free solution. I would rather go for the hassle free nature of offline maps and use google maps only when there is a real requirement for detail.

Last edited by amalji : 28th November 2012 at 22:35.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:39   #12806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And most imprortantly, I love the feeling of being always connected and getting the exact distance before the next deviation for every instant of time, while on the go. And this can be made possible only with a system that doesn't depend on online data.
Not a practical and hassle free solution. I would rather go for the hassle free nature of offline maps and use google maps only when there is a real requirement for detail.
I am not a frequent traveler who needs navigation badly - if I needed that, I would have thought about purchasing a Navi system in the first place, not a Navi app for my phone. Had tried out Sygic maps on phone and it was drinking battery juice. Car charger couldn't even keep the battery level steady and it actually was dropping.

For occasional requirements, I am better off with a free application on my phone and I would not ever think about purchasing one which is supposed run on my phone.

Having said that, I have used Google Navigation in few long trips without even caching any data prior to the trip. It never costed extra money and my data usage was always within limit. I don't have extra charges on data on roaming.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th November 2012 at 22:43.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:44   #12807
Senior - BHPian

And since, this is an android thread, just wanted to post my configuration for Galaxy Note. Might be of use to someone.

ROM - Jellybam
Launcher - Nova
Video Player - MX Player
Filemanager - Astro
Gallery - Quickpic
SMS - GoSMS
Dialer - ex-Dialer
Keyboard - Touchpal
Calculator - Realcalc
Browsing on 2g - Operamini
Browsing on 3g - Dolphin
Note - Evernote
Wallpapers & Ringtones - Zedge
Offline Navigation - navfree
Music Player - Sony walkman player that came with the Jellybam rom
Mail - K-9 mail

Seems to have got the sweet spot on my galaxy note.

Last edited by amalji : 28th November 2012 at 22:55.
Old 28th November 2012, 22:49   #12808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not a frequent traveler who needs navigation badly - if I needed that, I would have thought about purchasing a Navi system in the first place, not a Navi app for my phone. Had tried out Sygic maps on phone and it was drinking battery juice. Car charger couldn't even keep the battery level steady and it actually was dropping.
1) Used navfree with gps full time with the phone plugged into the car charger. The charge was 15% higher than what it started with after a 1.5 hour trip. And I'm on galaxy note.

2) Have even tried out without battery charging for 1 hour trip. The loss in battery charge was not very high.

3) I'm an X-mapmyindia user. I find the offline maps on the mobile more convenient ( especially when the mobile is as big as a galaxy note )

Quote:
For occasional requirements, I am better off with a free application on my phone and I would not ever think about purchasing one which is supposed run on my phone.

Having said that, I have used Google Navigation in few long trips without even caching any data prior to the trip. It never costed extra money and my data usage was always within limit. I don't have extra charges on data on roaming.
navfree = completely free application without any hidden cost. And is more near to a navigation device than the google maps. Once, used to the reliability and 0 connection breaks in an offline GPS device ( mapmyindia ), google maps online navigation always felt inferior to me, especially for long trips ( when I'm the driver ).
Old 28th November 2012, 22:54   #12809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The android phone is becoming a lot of fun.

I find it useful in so many ways that I now regret buying a phone with less on-board memory.

I use these apps quite a bit and find them very useful:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...thaler.fuellog
- Helps keep track of fuel expenses and mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I use it too. Unless you've the PRO version, You'll lose all the data when you change the firmware. I lost many months of data
I use a free app called My Cars, which allows to keep track of mileage & other car expenses with charts, its free & allows you to import/export data from sdcard & also has auto backup
Old 28th November 2012, 23:09   #12810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_

And on top of that, if a company is thinking about shutting down business, we may not get spares after sometime. Keeping this in mind, buying a new product from them might not be a good idea.
This stands true if you intend keeping your phone so long. However all Motorola models in India are global models and I don't think there will be an issue of part availability. Peace of mind is a personal thing IMO. Am on my 4th smartphone at this moment and only one of them had a manufacturer Warranty

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks